Does anyone have a great, beginner friendly DIY tutorial for a similar two way dice tower...

Does anyone have a great, beginner friendly DIY tutorial for a similar two way dice tower? I don't necessarily need the wings, mostly just the tower, but I want it from wood. But I worked only little with wood, so I need detailed instructions. And I have problem with the tech words as I'm not murican.

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/Making-a-Formboard-Dice-Tower/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

another tower, it's available as model for 3D printers, it's ugly, though futuristic. but it's quite expensive to print, especially since you need to upscale it some.

although now that I looked it up, designs that work without glue are nice as well. hmm. just need one with two ways.

Why would you 3d print a tower that literally just looks like it was made out of folded cardboard?

look for the 'Ultimate DM screen in Da Archive in the PDF share thread. print it, and use them as templates for the wood.

Dice towers are for autists

All one piece. Also it would look better and less corrugated if he changed his settings from the awful default ones.

Here's one I made for giggles awhile back.

instructables.com/id/Making-a-Formboard-Dice-Tower/

3D printing is easier than folding cardboard.

Shit like this is what 3D printing excels at.

Maybe I'm bad at this but I'm not finding it...

sure, but it's one way and doesn't lend itself well to wood. i found multiple of these already.

I don't, but that tower is definitely not trivial to build it has way too many angled parts. It goes in a spiral compared to the traditional one side for each approach, which is definitely not a traditional design for dice towers.

me neither.

But what for?

to throw dice obviously.

it would be nice to have a design that either fits together without glue or a tutorial on how to create the tiny ledges that lend themselves well to gluing.
and a generic layout like

Like this?
4 rectangles
Hold them up like pic related, measure the base
Mark which parts of the rectangles will be overlayed by another rectangle.
Use two opposing rectangles, measure the ramps.
Connect the two opposing rectangles + ramps + base, then add the two remaining rectangles.

Remember glue + nails. Make sure everything fits together.

>to throw dice obviously.
Can't I just use hands for that?

Hands? Ugh! Filthy neckbeard's hands?
Are you gonna tell us you don't use coasters, while you're at it?

>Are you gonna tell us you don't use coasters, while you're at it?
No. I drink straight from my water bottle.

if you attach trays to it, it will not drop from the table. the roll will always be randomized, you can't sleight of hand (or suspect that someone else does). it's cool. it's two way, so i can make secret rolls then look ominously at my players much more dramatically.

Make two dice towers, but half as thin.
Then glue them together side by side.

What advantage does a dice tower offer over a dice cup?

I should use some of the liquor bottles I own for this. I imagine glass would sound prettier than cardbord derivatives.

You could also see your dice as they fell. I actually have the diamond bits to possibly do it, too. I've a pretty blue bottle that would work terrifically.

Dice dont roll away from your playing área (ie. Not looking for a die under the table anymore).

It also supposedly stops players from cheating in their throws. Although IMO, if thats a legit concern, then you have bigger problems than a wooden tower can fix.

I dont like them, but some people love to carry lots of stuff for playing.

As long as they have an actual tray on the bottom (and not just a lip to stop dice from rolling away) they're pretty handy if you play somewhere that isn't ideal for dice rolling like at a metal mesh table or picnic table.

so still no designs?

What's the point of these things? Why not just roll the dice on the table? Seems like a waste of precious surface area imo.

Keeps the dice on the table while still randomizing them. Also lets a GM do hidden rolls with limited area. It is one of those Things That Other People Do Differently That Seems Strange, try not to let it bother you.

also it looks cool as hell. one of the main reasons i bought the shogun board game, it has a great looking tower. sadly i was a boardgame noob back then, and didn't researched that it's actually a quite bad game (or, less than exciting).

if the tower also has a catch tray, minimizes the space you need to roll dice by a bit. and also lets autists know that no one is palming the dice

Also if you have a good hand they make good set pieces and terrain

You'll need square bottles to avoid having to either make weird platforms or reform the bottle to a square.
A couple shims for upward support will do good when glueing the platforms, and clear aquarium sealant keeps the clear aesthetic.

Underrated comment

actually you don't need platforms to achieve proper rolling, many towers work with rods instead of platforms like some 3D pachinko machine.

so any great design for two way, non-glued, wooden towers today?

Non Glued?
Burn a hole through a log and hammer nails through it for the platforms.

>for a similar two way dice tower?
Take that idea of And make the bottommost slant on an axle peg rather than set into the frame. Make sure the peg has enough room extending out to be turned, possibly with a small lever attachment for grip.

That's... not a stupid idea! wow. I didn't expect after the first day to get something useful.
How would you do that? As I said, I'm a noob at woodworking. And how do I create the holes where the stuff fits? How do I create the precise shape for the pegs that stitch the sides together? I can cut out larger shapes, I have that small jigsaw (have no idea what's the English name for it) pic related, but that is not really great for this precisement.