Is this the world's most boring chess opening? I've never once felt the motivation to play it

Is this the world's most boring chess opening? I've never once felt the motivation to play it.

Other urls found in this thread:

lichess.org/wiqMAGbV
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes. It's also objectively the best chess opening. No hyperbole: the only reason not to play it is if you think there's a small chance that a sub-optimal opening would catch your opponent off-guard.

The best chess opening is to stand up, turn 360 degrees and walk away from that cancer game.

>Not playing modern defence in the year of our lord 2017

U wot m8

Not OP but explain the appeal. You're not claiming the center and leave your bishop on white out of combat for most of the game. It's a good defence, but it comes at the cost of effectively giving away the center.

There are no boring chess moves.

>modern defence
Veeky Forums chess

>not claiming the center
You control d5, a center square and you usually follow up with 2...d5 attacking e4. Any pawn move in the center will control at most 1 square among e4-d4-e5-d5.
>bishop out of combat
Fianchetto

I don't play chess enough to know, why is this a boring move?

Because there's no reason not to do it, so everyone does it, so it's boring and mainstream.

There are no exciting chess moves either.

Is it really this popular ? I only see it very rarely pakying as user on lichess

Isn't Sicilian Defense statistically the most likely to result in a Black victory?

>Turning 360
Not turning just 180 so u dont walk in to table.

>turning only 180
pleb

>Not deliberately walking onto the board

D4 and C4 for white unless it is absolutely trash based on black.

Yes, but statistics are never applicable to the individual situation, and certainly not to a game of chess. It is not a bad move per se, but that's about all you can say.

im apparently retarded, why is this the best chess opening?

Nah dude, something like the Winawer is a very sharp, interesting game. But personally, I prefer the sicilian for defense against e4. Mostly, the French is simple, there's only a few branchings, and your opponent can't stop you from playing it. Hell, you can even offer it against d4, although your opponent might continue with c4 instead of e4. But it's not that great of an opening.

If you fianchettoo the light square bishop, you'll still be blocked by your pawn on d5, which tends to stay there all game.

Also, if you get the likely e6,d5 against d4,d5 pawn locked center, your kingside is mad vulnerable.

You never saw the Alekhine-Nimzovitch "battering ram" game if you think the French Defense is boring.

Bird's Defense and King's Gambit have a high chance of a Black win due to exposing White's king. Now I myself like these openings immensely just because of the crazy stuff they tend to bring. You seldom get a boring game with them.

I hate getting Petrov's Defense (1. e4 e4 2. Nf3 Nf3) because it usually means Black is seeking a quick, lazy draw. Most of the time when I open with 1. e4, I want to do a Ruy Lopez and it pisses me off when I get 2...Nf3.

Petrov's Defense being a draw opening is a meme. It can lead to almost any type of game you want, but this unfortunate reputation comes about mostly because top-level GMs commonly use it as a drawing weapon. But with lower-level players, gameplay is almost always too imprecise to lead into a guaranteed draw.

To be honest, PD is a relatively easy, straightforward way for Black to answer 1. e4 e4 2. Nf3 with few complications and not much opening preparedness needed, as opposed to 2...Nc3 in which Black must be ready for dozens of possible White responses.

>Not moonwaling for maximum effect
Pleb

Bird's Opening you mean. This one was a Bent Larsen favorite because most GMs didn't use it and were completely unprepared for it. He also once trolled Anatoli Karpov hard by using the Scandinavian Defense (1. e4 d4). IIRC it was the first game Karpov played after defending his WC title in 1978.

Larsen also was one of the few GMs who made a serious effort to win with the Black pieces instead of seeking a draw like most GMs.

Man I suck at chess. My classic games app has chess with 250 levels of hard. My record for level 1 is 0% out of 7 tries.

Still remember when I was in grade school playing this kid and...I don't remember all the details, but he castled on his queen side and I mated him there. Anyway, I recall that he didn't seem to know what capturing en passant was because I captured one of his pawns with that and he starts protesting you can't do that. So I said "Whut? Don't you know capturing in passing?"

In retrospect I'm not even sure if that was a legal EP capture because you're only allowed to do it under certain specific conditions, but oh well.

Ever watch a king take out two pawns?
It's a painful expirience for everyone involved.

Be kind and please forfeit if you are both trying to king duel.

the summer wind is blowing

How about that infamous Nikolic-Arsovic game in 1989 that lasted 270 moves? That's painful. Normally, FIDE rules stipulate that a draw occurs if 50 moves pass with no captures or pawn moves, but for a while in the 80s they had it at 100 moves for certain endgames such as rook vs rook/bishop, as this game was. After this debacle, FIDE put it back to the 50 move draw.

>270 moves
How the actual fucking fuck?

Rook vs rook and bishop endings are a guaranteed draw, too bad these two lunkheads didn't know that.

It's stupid. I hate it

Too bad most elite GMs are excessively conservative and only play safe openings like the Indian Defenses in which they simply try to erect a strong pawn skeleton in preparation for the endgame. When you get to that elite level, it's like a paralysis overtakes you and you're afraid to try anything daring or out of the box.

bump

I never did like the Indian Defenses for some reason and I also have problems remembering the move order in most of them other than the Nimzo-Indian.

King's Indian Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 g6
3. Nc3

Queen's Indian Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 b6
3. Nf3

Grunfeld Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 e6
3. Nc3 d5

Bogo-Indian Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 e6
3. Nf3 Bb4

Nimzo-Indian Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 e6
3. Nc3 Bb4

Old Indian Defense

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 d6

Catalan Opening

1. c4 Nf6
2. d4 e6
3. g3

Budapest Gambit (2...e5)

Garbage. Just give the pawn back and you have a commanding position. Something like

d4, Nf6
c4, e5
dxe5, Ng4
e4, Nxe5
f4, Nec6

And white is significantly stronger.

Yeah...there's a reason the Budapest Gambit was a short-lived fad in the 1920s along with flagpole sitting.

The Bogo-Indian is a nice way to trip up Black players who do 2...e6 with the expectation of a Nimzo-Indian.

You still get it occasionally. My single highest rated victory ever was against a 2366 USCF player who threw a budapest gambit against me about a year ago. Then again, the fact that I beat a player that strong when I'm about a 2000ish player myself speaks to maybe that not being the best opening choice.

How do I into chess?

I'm not a dumb person, but I can't fathom memorizing hundreds of moves and my opponents moves all at the same time.

Control the center
Develop your pieces (your back row)
Castle
Don't give material away

Beyond that, learn the first few moves of the most popular openings and just play

The trick isn't memorizing a ton of stuff especially at first; it's strong positioning and thinking several moves ahead
- especially when you're about to enter tactics.

lichess.org/wiqMAGbV

I'll talk you through some games if you'd like :)