Have you ever completed a successful campaign with tough moral choices for the PCs?

Have you ever completed a successful campaign with tough moral choices for the PCs?

I've completed about three campaigns and none of them had much in terms of these. Our group doesn't really play for their sake.

I find it hard to intentionally insert moral dilemmas into games without it coming across as forced and video-game-y, but the last arc of one campaign I'm running accidentally had the most difficult moral choice my players have ever faced: It nearly ended in pvp.

Long story short, the players were hunting down the leader of a cult who was attempting to wrest control of the underworld from the mob-boss that the PCs worked for. When they find the dude, it turns out he's one of the player's long-lost father (I guess it's more accurate the say she is the long-lost daughter). So the villain and the girl talk, and he tell her he regrets losing her, and offer her a place at his side if she helps him take down the mob. One of the other players took beef with this because he was loyal to the mob-boss. There was a couple rounds of tension where no one was really fighting that culminated in the monk being in position to attack the villain, the girl asking him to wait and talk, and the loyal one telling him to hurry up and choose.

In the end, he attacked, they killed the villain, and the girl had to run away. The monk followed her to ask what the hell just happened while the loyalist finished off the villain. The monk let the girl go, and even brought her belongings to her so she could escape the city. Suffice to say, that player is rolling up a new character for the next time we play, but the loyalist is paranoid that she's going to come back and attack him.

Certainly wasn't good-end, but I think it was likely the best way that situation could have gone. I'm just thankful all my players are okay with this type of game.

One time we faced a demigod BBEG witch whose power could only be broken if she were raped.

All the time, but you have to use the Trope sparingly, so it actually FEELS like it has an effect.

Too many DMs fuck around with it so much that it becomes "Choose a Door."

That gets old fast.

depends on how you view morality. My PC's burned and entire city because it was infested with a dark plague that could kill and corrupt the entire plane. They didnt work fast enough to find a cure and a couple of the PC's feel incredible guilty about burning about 20k people with dragonfire

>that player is rolling up a new character for the next time we play, but the loyalist is paranoid that she's going to come back and attack him.

you gotta

>depends on how you view morality
Sounds a bit le tip fedora and edgy to me

>Have you ever completed a successful campaign with tough moral choices for the PCs?
As a player there have been tough moral choices in all the campaigns I've seen through to the end.
As a GM I love throwing the PCs into situations where I know they will be split on what to do, and then force them to hurry with making up their mind with threat of impending doom if they spend too long making up their minds.

I like to throw scenarios that have two very obvious choices at the players and let them come up with a third option by themselves. Players love to determine their own fate and come up with their own ideas. The one that stuck with me the most was years ago where I really didn't expect what they did.

The players have done a series of bounty missions for a rather cold and uncaring government. They are entrusted with a more dangerous and confidential mission with three steps. Some miners from a civilian owned company have discovered a secret facility and are now trapped inside. The facility is on land owned by the nation, but it was not constructed by the government. The players are told that they must rescue the first investigation team, scout out the facility, and "handle" the witnesses. Upon busting in, the players find that one of the government agents they were sent to bail out is dead and the remaining one is injured. Several miners are dead, but nine have survived. The facility has tons of traps and is trying to kill them, but they disarm most of it and shut the rest down once they find the computer.

Option A was, of course, to terminate the witnesses (aside from the government agent) and collect the bounty.
Option B was to let the civilians go and internationally denounce the government.
Option C was to let the civilians go, tell them that they are in danger, and say that the job is done and get paid.

The players went with option D and blackmail the civilians into joining their crew along with their families (both for labor and hostages), tell the government that they had done the job, get paid, hold records just in case they want to blackmail the government, and convince the government agent to back them in the whole thing.
Fun times.

wow, how obvious the redguard is the one with the moral weight in that picture...

hey reddit OP, just post the dick in her pic now and get it over with.

Not really, it's hard for me to come up with decent choices and moreover players aren't big fans of these.

Set it up so they can pick the easy road or the right road, then roll with it when they take a third option.

Abandon All Hope we won due to my autistic scientist that kept putting the mission before just about everything else, and managed to hackerman things better in the Warden's brain.

>Have you ever completed a successful campaign with-
Nope.

Arthas is that you?

Remember that at some point self-actualization crosses the threshold from neural to evil. That threshold is usually somewhere around the point at which a mercenary company ends and a minor junta begins, but I'll leave it up to you.

She knew the risks. If she didn't want to be raped she wouldn't chose this path.

>I like to throw scenarios that have two very obvious choices at the players and let them come up with a third option by themselves.

As do I.

Sometimes they pick one option without much thought. Which means I've failed at creating a difficult choice for them.

Sometimes they find an option I didn't consider. Not always a better option, but always entertaining.

Sometimes they have a disagreement that ends when one PC declares his opinion on the matter and they all follow him. At least I now know who the party leader really is, even if they all think it's someone else.

I find that the trick with making a tough moral choice is to ignore alignment when deciding what the obvious options. Think about who the PCs are and create a choice that would be difficult for them.

What are your favorite examples of moral choices?
>

Yes, it's a fine balance between bringing an adequate challenge with ensuing responsibility to the table and crossing over into the world of Edge and Deep Meaning.

Feeling insecure in trying to design hard challenges for the party as I don't yet know the system well enough to do it. But I want to, since the past games with hard choices has proven to be the most rewarding overall.

Yes, in fact, pretty much the entire campaign hinged on a choice fairly early on as to whether or not to turn over a certain NPC to a group of lizardmen to be sacrificed to their dragon god.

>Have you ever completed a successful campaign
No.

Not really. My DM is good, even great, for epic campaigns. For other stuff he is hit and miss.

Currently running a campaign where the theme is 'the path to Hell is paved with good intentions', with the players having to make morally questionable choices for the greater good.

In theory, the players are so fucking noblebright I can't get them to slip to the dark side, ffff-

Well go on, how did it end?