Yes, it's "copypasta" that hasn't been posted in several months, and I still have the same problem

How do I learn to roleplay? Specifically, how do I get into a character's mind well enough to decide which exact words they say in accordance to their personality that is not my own?
I want to keep playing tabletop RPGs for the story, combat and exploration, and part of me craves human interaction in small doses so I can't "just play a video game", but it's really mentally exhausting for me to the point of being not fun.

Of course I can get by when I want to suggest a course of action, or I feel my character agrees or disagrees with someone, but those are short sentences and far between. What's hard for me is separating how I think from how my character thinks when I as a player have nothing in particular to say on a topic.

Whenever I think about speaking in-character, I have to think "Am I sure my character's opinion and their manner of expressing it are consistent with all the traits I want to convey?", which takes too long and by then the in-character conversation has moved on.
When inspiration finally strikes me and I can spit out a half-decent line of dialogue quickly, I'm never sure if it actually makes sense for my character's intended personality or just sounds dramatic.

In real life, I only speak when spoken to, when I seriously have something to add to the discussion, or when I want something. But in games I've been pressured to participate more when I haven't said anything in 10 minutes, and my last group kicked me out for being too quiet.
Playing a mute character probably isn't the answer, because I've been in a group with one, and she was one of the most nuanced and likeable PCs I've ever seen through eloquent descriptions of body language, which I have even more trouble writing on the fly.

Please try to give a more detailed answer than "practice", because I don't want to be kicked out of any more groups.

Have you tried slower play by post games?
Give you some time to think about your character and their responses?

Just make a character based on you. If you are a short tempered person, make your character not take shit from nobody. If you're a good hearted law-abiding citizen then stand up for those in need.

Make your character you. You'll learn the nuances and then you can make slight changes and you'll get comfortable acting a way you actually arent.

Tl;Dr practice

No, I have not. I'm not really interested in PBP, but this is the first time I've seen someone suggest it as a solution, so I may reconsider.
Wouldn't that also give *everyone* more time to think about exact words, thus raising the standard so I'm still not good enough?

Don't play RPGs. You arent' up for the task.

Screw you, I want to play RPGs.

No, most people can't write for shit.

Sounds like autism to me.

>how do I play pretend

But I've been told self-insert characters are badwrongfun, and if I basically play as myself then there will be times when I don't feel the need to speak up. See the fourth paragraph of the OP.

Take aspects of your own personailty and expand upon them such that the base ideas come more naturally.
Everyone has varied ways they act depending on the people they are with and the situation they are in. Identify those various personas then use it as framework for a character.
Then lean into them more so that interactions and ideas are more natural but still varied from purely yourself.
For example, I try to be friendly and pleasant to people i just meet, and thus is use that persona when i play a friendly Paladin.
But I can be sarcastic and critical of people i know very well, such as family. So my Bard is just that, but to everyone.

Play a dumb-ish character. One friend of mine does this every time we do a one-off because its fun funny and easy. Heres the steps:

When a situation happens, try to intentionally misinterpret it. Its always incharacter for an int7 halforc barbarian to comically misunderstand metaphor. Its hard to mess up and then if you say something unreasonably intelligent it becomes even funnier.

Just dont overplay it, keep the voice goofy-but-not-cartoony, and only be an idiot like once per conversation, so that you don't wear the joke thin. Try this in a one-off where you're not committed to the character and where it doesn't get annoying (because stakes are low and its only one night). That should help you feel more confident trying something out of the norm.

As a person who struggled a lot with the same kind of social interaction stuff?

Stop worrying so much. Stop thinking and just do.

Thinking about a line forever until it's perfect sounds good, but as you point out it almost never comes out soon enough to be relevant, and since you don't get to try you've got no ability to improve.

Go with your gut. Try to keep your character in mind, of course, but keep analysis cursory before diving in.

And be ready to fuck up. Because you will fuck up. Everyone fucks up. It's part of the human condition.

But through fucking up, you'll learn what works and what doesn't, and how to quickly assemble an in character response to a situation, far far better than any amount of internal consideration can accomplish.

A) Play a character who isn't very different from you. It's just you if you were a fearless adventurer. Exaggerate one particular personality trait; maybe it's an angrier, more aggressive you. It's you when you're fed up with shit, but it's still basically you.

B) Play a virtual caricature who is so straightforward that it's pretty obvious what their take on anything would be. For example, a violent barbarian whose approach will almost always be aggressive and head-on. If you want to add some nuance, he's superstitious and a bit fearful when it comes to magic, and is maybe weirdly deferential to women.

C) Combine the options above. Basically, just go with the caricature of the aggressive barbarian, and anytime there's any uncertainty about what he'd do, just ask yourself what you'd do in that situation if you were feeling angry and aggressive (and had the physical prowess of the barbarian in question).

D) Play a game that's more focused on combat and mechanics than role-playing.

I want to be taller tomorrow, but it's not gonna happen.

You can't improvise to the point that it's exausting? You can't play RPGs.You are ruining the other guys' experence and that's why they're rightfully kicking you out.
Especially when you don't want to practice, like you say.

>Especially when you don't want to practice, like you say.
I never said I don't want to practice.

>Please try to give a more detailed answer than "practice"

Yes, and? I never said I don't want to practice.
My point is the one-word reply "practice" is insufficient. I already know I need to practice, but what else?
What can I do in the meantime, before I'm done practicing, to give other players the impression that I'm trying my best?

You're Overthinking it OP. To walk you must first crawl. Start small. One motive, one quirk, one flaw. Write them down and play them. It's like riding a bike. You don't Overthink about riding a bike, you put your foot to the pedal and find your balance eventually. You can't play Hamlet until you just get the basics down, and unless your groups are literal elitist fucks, they will see that you're trying and should support you.

You don't want that we answer "practice", but it's the only answer if it is remotely possible that would work with you.

So yeah. You will fail. Hard.

The answer is "practice and _____________", please fill in the blank.
No, it is not "practice and practice" or any smartass non-answer like that. What do I need to do BESIDES practice?

>they will see that you're trying and should support you
They didn't do that last time. They took away my bike, if I may continue the analogy.

Here are a few points:
- Think of 2 or 3 traits. Simple things, like maybe "kind" and "superstitious" and "brash." It should be pretty obvious how a character with three simple traits should act. Like, maybe he agrees to help the villagers defend their cows, freaks out when he realizes the threat is undead, then runs headlong into battle when he talks himself into it.
- Don't worry about always being consistent. Unless your group is 100% serious all the time, and no groups are, nobody will care if you "break character" from time to time. You shouldn't worry about it either.
- Talk more. Don't be stupid with it and constantly interrupt people, but describe what your character is doing more often. When the party walks into a tavern, mention that [character name] rushes to order a drink, or hangs back, or sticks close to the leader. Add an adjective or adverb here and there. Don't say stuff like "I attack," say "I swing my broadsword at the goblin's head." That's not high-level roleplay; it means the exact same thing. But it has a little bit more flavor to it.

Beyond that, practice really is the solution. Maybe try to find a 1-shot on Roll20? There's always something going on over there.

Practice and practice. You don't need nothing else aside from perhaps a group of more-than-average (relative to Veeky Forums standards) players.

Every suggestion I've seen there is a double edged sword that might or might not work (a more "do whatever" approach might as well fell flat, especially regarding your standards of whatever "playing awesome lines" you wish to deliver).

Don't like that? Suit yourself. 90%+ you can't roleplay, simple as that, and no practice will change that.

Looking at how you're dealing with the thread, I think part of it is attitude OP.

You're only replying to negative posts, focusing on the problems and ignoring the helpful and useful ones. Changing your mindset and approach is important too.

Try reframing the narrative, if you have difficulty seeing things from a different perspective instead of thinking about that perspective, just take a step back and look for a different way to analyze the situation. There's not going to be a substitute for practice, but in addition to practice I've always found that READING more varied stories helps make it easier to CREATE more varied stories. So in addition to practicing, read. Read fantasy, sci-fi, old lit. If you're playing in person at a tabletop, be willing to try a different voice for the character. If you're online, consider different fonts to display their voice. Listen to a specific kind of music when writing one character. One of my characters was created to and is almost exclusively written to electro swing - he's lighthearted and fun. Another is much darker, I use videogame boss music for him a lot, or heavier dubstep. Another is more intellectual, so I write him while listening to instrumental mixes. Most of all, though, you need to understand the character as deeply as you can to portray them well, and that's going to involve writing backstory and interactions. So it's technically all 'practice', but there are cues that'll help.

What can I do IN ADDITION TO "practice" that is not just more "practice"?
He's how it's going to happen:
>I join another campaign.
>I "practice", which means "do the same thing I always do again and again" because I was not given any meaningful direction beyond the one word "practice".
>I fail, because I have no idea what I'm doing, only that I'm supposed to do it for a long time.
>The other players complain and kick me out again.
If you instruct an unfrozen caveman to drive a car with no knowledge whatosever of how it works, just "practice", they're going to wreck the car.

This

Maybe a caveman shouldn't be driving altogether. See?

That is true, and good advice.
I just hate when people put words in my mouth or tell me the one thing I already know.

What is the treatment for autism?

But you don't need to be ruled by your feelings. Think rationally- Does engaging with it help you at all in achieving your goals? No? Then don't waste the effort doing it.