How to make the RPG as most realistic as possible?

How to make the RPG as most realistic as possible?
I'm making a game set in the ending of 19th century Russia, based on Realists' writings, so I don't even know which system would be the most appropriate, or how would I even do this.
Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wES5ufXETdE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

GURPS

Freeform it. All rpg systems have mechanics that get in the way of realism sooneror later. You should trust your judgement instead of the dumb, blind luck of the dice.

Why do you want realism? How far and deep do you want to get?

>Why do you want realism?
Dude, read the entire OP. He literally stated he's basing his campaign on the "Realist" genre. It's like asking someone about to make a fantasy game "Why do you want it to be fantastical?"

Yes, he said what inspired him, but not why it inspired him. Or are you saying I should know why he wants realism because he said he's basing it off of a wide body of works?

OP should ask himself why he wants to do this and why the players will want to play it.

All realism means in that sense is that it portrays ordinary life and events that could or do happen. These stories still aren't necessarily realistic, and they are often built around a social evil or evils. Rolling a bunch of dice or dealing with minutae will not make a game feel like a realist novel.

if it's about interpersonal drama only, then drama system (hillfolk rpg) is probably the way to go

OP here. Well, the inspiration mostly comes from Crime and Punishment, but also from a wide array of works, not all are Russian realism, for example, Nausea, Despair, Filip Latinovicz, and even Yesenin's poems. As you can see it's 19th/20th century European works that are morally ambiguous and have a certain atmosphere. What I would like is to GM for a small group (1-3 players) where players would battle deeper themes, and their enemies would be themselves, more so than other physical beings.
About it being fun: One of my players would most certainly want to play it, others, well, they'll just get drunk anyway, so they won't care.

CoC.

Can't speak for that particular era, but Russian prosaic have generally been good roleplay inspiration for me so far.

look into drama system. i'll get assblasted for it, but lindybeige gives an outline of how it works in a recent video, see if that would work for you
youtube.com/watch?v=wES5ufXETdE
skip to 8:20

Man, I dunno. So much of Crime and Punishment is internal, I'm not sure how it would work at the table.

Maybe you could work out some sort of Fiasco set for it?

Fate Accelerated rewards the players for complicating their own and each others lives.

-4 str

-5 end
-3 dex
They have to be sickly scrawny guys

Why the fuck is he holding his axe backwards ?

That's not how you axe.

"realism" is a meme that nobody who plays /tg gives a shit about.
If you enjoy systems that contain an infinite number of little bullshit options to tweak and modify just play Dwarf Fortress.

>others, well, they'll just get drunk anyway, so they won't care.
That's one of the saddest things I've read about a group.

What's that one Steve Jackson system that's like GURPS but higher resolution? HERO maybe idk.

Find that and use it.

>Aims to knock out the person instead of killing
It's not rocket science

Realism revels in the mundane and banal, and puts a lense on the flaws and shortcomings of the human condition.

In order to properly represent realism, you want the over arching theme and goal of the campaign to be as mundane as possible, and you must revel in how drab the environment is.

>Vasilly, you awaken early in the morning. It is cold, and it is tuesday. Light has not yet begun to creep in through your hazy, brown window. You are aware in the cold stillness of your room - a threadbare blanket and a worn, lumpy mattress, laying on a dirty cork wood floor. You need to piss. What do you do?

1. A two-handed blow to the head with an axe is going to be a killing blow regardless of whether you use the right side.
2. Yes he's trying to kill her.

Probably thought that there would be less blood this way.