Where do you personally draw the line between fantasy and technology? When is shit too modern for you?

Where do you personally draw the line between fantasy and technology? When is shit too modern for you?

TV and radio.

I don't. What's fun is fun. And gunpowder can be a whole shitload of fun.

This, steam shit is fine but anything involving electricity is probably too modern

Anything non-organic that can only work via a constant production of mechanical energy.

Magic exists, so much tech doesnt need to exist because of the lack of necessity created by mages.

basically tech is only for traditional craft or to augment magical processes in my campaign.

pointy rock on stick

I, too, find wind- and watermills distasteful.

I don't. My setting has both of them in spades, often mixing or working against each other, along with all the other rival power methods.

Half the time, magic is used to help fix or jury rig technology to keep it going, since magic can only do simple things, while tech can do very complex operations.

I don't.

This. At the point you get quick-communications the majority of pre-modern fantasy conventions no longer hold water and it becomes difficult to justify them.

Likewise, mapping satellites render adventuerers completely irrelevant and are a no-no.

This also extends to magic. The moment a spell is discovered that can emulate any of those three is the moment that magic becomes too mundane to be called magic.

Minister of IT best girl.

What anime is this? Is it really about it?

Why would I draw any lines? Why can't fantasy coexist with "technology"?

>Magic exists, so much tech doesnt need to exist because of the lack of necessity created by mages.
You do understand that this sounds absolutely ridiculous? I mean, of course you don't, but why?

Sakura Quest. It's not about IT, but Best Girl is a web designer.

Because at a certain point it becomes Sci-Fi

I fail to see why that need be the case.

Technology is ever present.
Fantasy is that which is so fantastic as to be magical.
Modern fantasy is fantasy just as medieval fantasy is fantasy.
Just get a sense of what technological level you need for the genre you're shooting for in your fantasy, and have at.

Technology has to follow the laws of physics duh

FTL and things creating free energy are out of question. You want to fluff something as technology you better make the question of it working an engineering one, because even x years into future the laws of physics won't change, and at most will be only precised better or amended in the vein of relativity versus newtonian which doesn't rely allow you to skip newtonian as it's too great of an approximation in most cases.

>Because at a certain point it becomes Sci-Fi
I agree with >I fail to see why that need be the case.

Jedi seem damn magical to me.
You could have teen witches getting detention for cursing another student's Ipod.
As long as the magic remains magical and the fantastic creature races remain fantastic, it's fantasy.

>too modern
No such thing. I crave a good SF campaign/setting, but both my groups are far too dedicated to fantasy and think SF is terrible because you can't just explain anything and everything with "lol magic"

Could a modern day fantasy world work?

Or alternatively, could a modern setting that's thrust into suddenly having magic work?

>muh hard sci-fi

You can't accidentally become sci-fi. Sci-fi is something you need to carefully maintain to qualify as. Fantasy is something you just become if you make things fantastical, it's very broad. Star wars is fantasy, so is dr. Who.

>Muh space fantasy

>yes
>no

>"lol nanomachines"
so hard

I don't desperate the two. I love me some modernized fantasy.

Not urban fantasy where it's "oooh, only we know about the thousands of werewolves n shit in plain sight." No, think astrological implications to asteroid mining. Think some kind of spider deity involved with maintaining the internet. Think health potions sold as energy drinks in every vending machine and convenience store. Think (al)chemists working out how to turn sand into gasoline. Think a cult using runic graffiti to enact their plots in a dense urban area. Think love potions being outlawed for being date rape drugs. Think having to scare off errant wind elemental that block radio signals.

That sort of thing.

>implying a fantasy world doesn't follow its own set of, admittedly loose due to being fictional, laws of physics
git gud at worldbuilding.

Literally the only setting I have ever seen that mixed Fantasy and Modern/Futuristic themes and WASN'T hokey as all fuck is Shadowrun.

Most of the time, settings like that are awful. The elements just don't gel for me. The anime ones in particular feel like the desperate fantasies of lonely nerds.

So where does Barsoom fit?

>high fantasy setting
>no laser swords
shiggy

I draw the line in blood at the gauntlet, reality deviant

Are you implying I'd run a campaign with magic, you little baby man?

In a setting with magic, there is no effective line between technology and magic. If magic is real, then magic techniques are just as much a technology as a chipped stone hand ax or a computer.

In most cases magic completely disqualifies something as sci-fi.

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

Pretty much. They just don't get into all the soft scifi bullshit explanations as they do magic. It's weird.

Hello, Don Quixote!

>>hard sci-fi setting
>>large, well-staffed military vessel filled with thousands of crewmembers prepares to go to war. The drone fighters are loased and stockpile of nuclear missiles is secure, grizzled NCOs bark orders at the fresh recruits as they prepare to disembark.
>>ship''s captain paces as he awaits a meeting with the man responsible for the ship''s most critical component: FTL travel.
>>He's here: it's earl, the ship wizard
>>his pointed hat and robe are newly pressed, but he's already rumpled them both with incessant fidgeting. His dragon whelp familiar perches on his shoulder and screeches at anyone that gets too close. His beard reached nearly to the stainless steel deck.
>>"Are we ready, Wizard?" the captain asks nervously. Earl grunts in response, his familiar nearly scorching off the finger of a curious aide. "Yeah, all my spell slots are prepared and I already secured passage through the astral plane with both the Githyanki and Githzerai. We'll make a quick detour through the elemental plane of fire, so make sure the heat shields are ready. If any passengers report strange dreams or sightings of beautiful women out in the void, tell them to see me immediately. We don't want any space-mermaids leading us off course"
>>the captain nods and gestures to an aide to write it all down. "Is that all?" He asks
>>Earl scratches his beard. "Yeah. I'm due for a nymph orgy in Dionysus' Fields of Plenty at sixteen-hundred hours, page me with the scrying orb if there's any problems.

Yeah, sure, I'd play it

So, Rogue Trader?

Honestly, separating the laws of physics from the laws of fuck-physics works pretty well.
Then you get spells like "Copper Foam" that do stuff like jamming guns or what have you.

>he doesn't know what the latest FoTS anime is
Sigh...

>all these "b-but i have both because fuk dah rulz" faggots posting in this thread
gas yourselves

>Because at a certain point it becomes Sci-Fi
Yeah, like those old Conan the Barbarian stories with rayguns and aliens.

Oh wait...

I don't. I actually have fun tracing a magic cultures rise to modernity. Makes for some unique settings where, magic and tech isn't just a side by side thing, they are indistinguishable from one another.

Besides, medieval fantasy is a 'been there, done that' type of deal.

So you're saying I can't use a pair of enchanted pearl-handled .38s to fight an AI warlock who is manipulating the robot/golem gangwars from a hidden fortress in the Far East?