I have made this biggest mistske. I trust my players too much...

I have made this biggest mistske. I trust my players too much. One of then used a wish spell to go back in time to prevent his god from dying. And I allowed it thinking this would be the end of his character arc, as his whole reason for being with the group was to ressurect his god.
But he didnt want to reroll a character, so he proceeded to find all the other players before they began adventuring and fucked up all their back stories so it would make sense for his character to want to adventure with them.

So now everyone's characters areally different and 10 sessions of story have been erased.
Has anyone fucked up worse than me? Let me know so I can feel slightly better whIle I rewrite this campaign today.

Bad GM detected.

You don't have to tell me, man. I already know.

Are your players okay with this? If no, it's perfectly fine, and hell, honestly the better option to tell this guy "No, fuck you, last session didn't happen. How dare you take advantage of my trust to do something so dumb like this, we're going to undo it and try the session again." then letting him shit all over everything.

2 of then seemed indifferent while 2 others were legitimately pissed.

>Allowing wishes
>Ever
>For any reason

Yup. I fucked up hard.

Then it averages out to being pretty fucking negative, and I do suggest telling the guy who did this "No, fuck you" and undo the session, you don't have to put up with his shit or breach of trust.

Maybe don't actually swear at him until he gets really defensive though, I feel that should go without saying, but well, we are on fucking Veeky Forums at the end of the day.

Tell everyone how the story would now end up thanks for the time traveller fucking things up. Probably badly, so describe how the world ends/evil wins/they all live lives of mediocrity, whatever.

Then say "Meanwhile, back in the original time line you have no idea about that fucked up splinter time line, the guy who cast wish just disappeared as far as you can tell" then give him a fresh character sheet to make someone new.

Here's what you should have gone with
>your true wish was to resurrect your god, you just chose time travel as the means to do it
>the use of your time travel power is limited to fulfilling your wish, it cannot be used to interfere with anything else
That would have left his character with a personal choice to make: save his god or stay with his friends or think of a better fucking wish to make, like "i wish my god was back and i could serve him (i.e. give me a quest so i can stay in the party) without all this time travel bullshit

Time travel is always a mistake. Always. Never allow it unless you and your party are prepared to deal with extreme amounts of fuckery.

Yeah, frankly there are a lot of things that would have gone better.

I hope you gave him enough evil and/or chaotic points to fall out of favor with the god he resurrected for the foreseeable future. Forcing your will on others who don't agree with it is about as far from a good act as you can get. Or hell, just make his god hate him regardless of any alignment for tarnishing the god's name by associating its ressurection with such a selfish and heinous act.

Fuck him over with a monkey's paw tier consequence. Make the god hate him enough that it fucks with this puny and arrogant little mortal's life, making it hell. Then make it so he finds the wish item again, but its power has waned too much to do anything but undo his previous wish. Then let the other characters remember the time shenanigans and hate him for it and/or constantly give him shit for rekilling his god. Then make all the gods hate him for killing the god just because he couldn't handle his god's righteous punishment.

Absolutely do this. Totally within the rules.
If you are feeling generous you could have the god be alive, but he still has to retire his character and doesn't get to dick over the other players.

>Then make all the gods hate him for killing the god just because he couldn't handle his god's righteous punishment.
Except for the bad ones, who took a liking to his extreme self-interest-fuelled chaotic actions and think he'd make a fun puppet if they just offer him a little of their power.

unfortunately that counts as a reward.

Seconding this

You fucked up big time...
A tip, make this all into a good adventure.

Toss in butterfly effect, the future is now horrible, the cleric is displaced on timelines, Quarut inevitables are hunting him en masse, and a Phane is stalking him and killing everything.
Basically force him to undo what he did, or else.

(And if the Phane kills him, have the Quaruts fix the timeline)

oh no something happened in a fantasy world that you and few other people are literally making up as you go...

Just take the temperature of the group and find out if they want to continue down the time fuck.

If yes, no problems except for some rethinking on your part. If no, hand wave the whole thing and undo it all with minor rewards for all of the players who didn't fuck time as compensation.

What's his god like? Would his god be upset by the guy's actions? Maybe after he saves his god he sees the PC's other time traveling shenanigans and says "no".

>Has anyone fucked up worse than me? Let me know so I can feel slightly better whIle I rewrite this campaign today.
I saw a thread a few days ago where a DM had a BBEG who could regenerate from anything. His power was based on the phases of the fucking moon, which the players hadn't worked out yet. They fought a hydra, completely unrelated, and one of the players thought its venom did too much damage. When they asked if that was really how much damage the venom did, the guy said "yeah it's nasty stuff", and the players thought it was the way to beat the regenerating bad guy.

Instead of telling them it wasn't, he let them spend loads of money trying to hunt down a beast master who could extract the venom.

Time comes crashing down. And it fucking breaks with a loud twang.

Suddenly all smells are gone.
Also, you just notice a gnawing sound. Like some swarm of snapping maws is heading towards you.

Make a time paradox plot and "kill off the character"

Have an entire session where the offending player wakes up in a fancy office with only vague memories of his life. He's now a top level administrator in his gods religion. Scattered around him are notes detailing the creation of a wish spell.
It becomes apparent that because he fucked with the other players backstories instead of just resurrecting the god he created the perfect storm of events that led to the next high priest becoming double Hitler.
Life for him in this timeline is intolerable, he feels he has to complete the wish spell to kill the god before his life turns to shit. Naturally the components for whatever reason relate to the player party who are trying to struggle with the fact they don't remember the new timeline.
Have the god find out try to stop him
He eventually completes the wish spell, everything gets reset to the original timeline just before he casts the wish despite his god figuring it out and trying to stop him.
But he doesn't remember any of it(imply because his god interfered with the wish spell)
Character is caught in a time paradox where the events play out over and over and is retired while the original timeline is stable.

>op asks for other stories
>everyone tries to backseat GM instead

Cause no one dumb enough to let a player get away with that.

>Fuck him over with a monkey's paw tier consequence.

Always a good move.

Here's another: what a PC can do, an NPC can also do. Simply retcon everything back to the way it was. You don't have to explain shit.

Later it will turn out that an NPC suffered some kind of butterfly effect disaster from the PC's meddling. So he became an adventurer, devoted his life to gaining enough power, and then used Wish the same way. To go back and fix things so that his own life was un-fucked. Your player character still remembers the way things were, right? So does this NPC, who's living as a humble blacksmith with a nice family despite being secretly an epic level cleric/wizard/whatever. He has been granted special additional powers by his deity, the God of Time and Fate, who rewarded him for repairing the timestream and restoring the Web of Fate.

That deity will be the PC's new enemy, though he'll be almost impossible to defeat. Instead of confronting the PC, he'll simply guide the paths of destiny to keep your gaming group bumping into dangerous and powerful evil guys. If the PCs win, then great. If they lose, well, that's also good. And if he tries that shit again, he'll face off against a far more powerful enemy who will aim, not to destroy him, but to subdue him and return him to his proper time. Minus some gear or a level as punishment.

>i wish my god was back and i could serve him (i.e. give me a quest so i can stay in the party)
Honestly just do this. Fuck all this in-character stuff that'll take you the next two sessions to drudge through, just tell the guy "hey some of the other players were upset about you messing with their character, so can we change your wish up? You don't need to mess with their history to have a reason to stay in the party" and then offer to start the next session at the point in time where he made the wish, but in a timeline where the god never died. Instead of his reason for joining the party being "I need to bring back my god from the dead", it can be "my god has a task for me, and this party can help me do it". To the rest of the world this "new" motive has always been his reason for being part of the party, the player has favor with his god, and most importantly, the other players' last 10 sessions worth of effort aren't at the will and mercy of one fuckin guy who should never have power over those things anyway.

If he really wants his character to stay in the campaign, and loves his god enough to bring it back from the dead, I'm sure he'd accept this.

If the other players felt "indifferent" at best towards the time bullshit, then I'm sure they wouldn't object to it being undone. Personally I'd think it'd be kinda fun to go on with, but since two of your players are pissed and the other two don't even give a fuck, then it's probably in the best interest of the overall group to get it over with as soon as you can, and there's no faster way than out of character handwaving.

> accurate

That shit fucked me up as a kid. On the way out to a family vacation when I was, like, 6, night before hopping on a plane, parents end up watching that Shatner episode of Twilight Zone with something on the wing. Cue panicked kid on a plane. Coming home? Happen to catch Langoliers on tv before the flight. May have just figured out why I still am terrified to fly as an adult...

I don't see the problem.

Multiverse. Just do like a "Trunks" arc but have him permanently separated from this timeline's group.

He let something happen which he didn't want to, and rather than use an ounce of critical thinking and power as a GM to put a stop to it by the session's end, he let them continue.

Then came to Veeky Forums to ask how to stop it after the players had already spent much of their time and monopoly money towards finding a beastmaster that would ultimately lead fucking nowhere, wasting both his own time and his players' because he couldn't think of an in-character way to tell his players that venom doesn't work for killing regenerating enemies.

shoulda made saving his god cost him like ten levels of XP, knock him all the way back to level one.

Looks to me you have been handled a few golden opportunities here and didn't seize them.

1) Wish spell can do a lot. Mostly replicate other spells but it can do more too. Your player had the right call here BUT the result of said "unusual" use of a wish spell implies a high risk of unexpected consequences.

2) Time travel is a veeeeeeery difficult subject and can lead to a lot of pain in the head.
NEVER allows it to work.
Unless you have a really good plan to make sure the players aren't going to collapse the space-time continuum, in which case it can serve both as a fun adventure AND as a lesson to your players.

>whIle I rewrite this campaign today.
What were you gonna do, OP?

well, how would the characters come upon this info. is elminster just supposed to show up and tell them they are barking up the wrong tree. why is it the dm's job to tell the players they have misconstrued some information that was not deliberately tied to a plot point. player assumptions are player responsibilities.

The problem was the DM had one, and ONLY one, weakness for him in mind, and was annoyed that the players weren't catching onto it, and instead had the completely reasonable idea of using a nasty acidic poison to weaken his regenerative abilities.

Basically the players were supposed to catch onto the fact that the bad guy occasionally avoided fighting them, and deduce that it meant his power was tied to moon phases.

pure autism

A lot of the suggestions were along the lines of "have the beastmaster say he's not in the business of supplying assassins, and demand to know what it's for. When they tell him, he says that venom isn't enough to kill something that regenerates". OP never gave feedback on if he liked any of the suggestions, he just complained the whole time that the party didn't pick up on his esoteric "the bad guy only has his powers during a waning gibbus moon and 19 days thereafter" plan, meaning that the solution to killing the bad guy was to wait until the full moon and kill him like he was a regular person. And the players were supposed to deduce this by noticing which days he stopped showing up on and consulting their "phases of the moon" calendar chart to notice the pattern.

>why is it the dm's job to tell the players they have misconstrued some information
It's the dm's job to help the group not waste each others' time, as well as his own. Dissuading them from chasing red herrings is part of that.

By fucking up their backstories he actually prevented them from wanting to adventure with him due to unforeseen consequences (butterfly wings n' shiet). On his own, he never got the wish spell, meaning he never traveled back in time, meaning he never fucked up backstories or resurrected his God.

I have never fucked up that hard as none of my players are that level of autist, at least any still in the group.

i grant you the stupidity of the moon phase puzzle, because that would be hard to give them the info without it being obvious.

but the dm should not make a puzzle and then hand the answer to the player, or even tell them they have a wrong answer before they try it out.
solving a puzzle is a waste of time? why play?

There's a huge difference between directly hinting towards the answer and hinting at a train of thought being wildly incorrect after the players spend an entire session researching and sinking their money into it.

As a DM I'd probably salvage the time spent with the hydra venom as either a soft counter to the regeneration or a mechanism that reveals a more correct line of deduction.

A DM should never have only one answer to a puzzle anyways. Expecting the players' thought process to line up perfectly with the DMs is just retarded if they don't give enough hints.

>Wish
>10 sessions
Found your problem.

Unleash a Quarut on his ass.
If he whines about it remind the smartass that fucking around with the space-time continuum always has serious consequences

Damn, I'd have FORCED the end of that character arc. Like, stipulated that even a Wish or Miracle has a limit, and re-ordering the world in such a massive manner just won't fly.

Either that, or straight up had his consciousness switch with his God's. He goes back in time and dies for the sins of his God, his God breaks free of the puny mortal shell containing it and continues with whatever it was doing.

The one and only time that wish spell time shenanigans was allowed to happen in a game I've been involved in a character went back to fix something, fucked up the wording of the wish and undid 14 months of weekly games and reset the characters back to their starting skills and stats. The character who went back in time became the new antagonist.

>Players get Hydra poison
>Track BBEG down
>Happens to be during the full moon, so the BBEG is running away. Players think it's because he knows they have Hydra Venom
>Stab him multiple times and the Venom burns through his insides and kills him
>The players never clue in to his actual weakness, thought that Hydra venom was the solution all along

Vengeance is mine sayeth the lord.

Turns out that being dead was part of a long game plan for the deity in question and he's not happy with millennia of planning being unraveled.

That character may redeem himself by performing these few deeds. Just fold it into the story like you planned it.

Talk fast, act smug. You don't make mistakes you realize opportunities.

so backtrack. done. it's as simple as telling that player
>i changed my mind, you can't go back in time

Nice lie

You really thing someone would do that?