MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - 「 B L U E M O N D A Y 」

Good morning and welcome back!

if you have celestial kirin and kami of the painted road on the board and you play a torii watchward can you give the kami protection from white so that it doesn't explode?

what about protection from creatures?

if i have celestial kirin in play with a 3cmc creature and i play bestow an eidolon of countless battles onto the kirin that doesn't trigger the kirin ability right? when you bestow the eidolon it doesn't count as a spirit? and it wouldn't trigger if that creature died and the eidolon falls off because it doesn't count as being played?

Jein. You CAN give your Kami protection from white; both the Kirin and the Kami are your permanents, which means you control their triggers. Since both triggers are wanting to go onto the stack at the same time, you can stack them as you like, having Kami's trigger resolve first to give pro-white, THEN Kirin's trigger resolve.

This will not save your Kami, because protection does not stop global destruction events. Protection stops DEBT: Damage, Enchant/Equip, Block, Target. Celestial Kirin is not attempting to do any of those things to the Kami, so Protection won't save it.

Bestowing won't trigger the Kirin. Bestow makes it into a noncreature spell, which means it can't have creature subtypes (since it's not also Tribal). It won't trigger Kirin when it converts from an Aura to a dude, for the reason you said- you didn't cast anything. It just changed what it looks like.

damn. that makes things more complicated. thanks.

Is it possible to be kicked from an event for deck construction? Mind you everything I had in my deck was legal for the event, they "didn't approve" of my deck, I don't know why I just left after the judge came and told me that

tell us about your deck user

As in, your deck is 100% legal, but the Judge/Owner 'doesn't approve' of it?

Not even remotely. If the cards are legal, they're legal. The only way a store can say "You're being booted because we don't like that specific deck" is if it's not an actual sanctioned event. In a sanctioned event, that is 100% not okay, and probably grounds to have WPN certification revoked. While technically a store can just ban you for any reason (a pseudo DQ), if it turns out they're using that to fuck with events, that's super bad.

I'd advise you go back to that store sometime and ask to talk to the judge/owner about what happened, ask them to explain their decision, and then ask them to show you where the rules support that, or what infraction you committed.

It was just a simple aggro list for a Legacy event

4x Murray Crusader
4x Koth of the Hammer
2x Invoke Prejudice
3x Peacekeeper
2x Kird Ape
3x Beserker Gorillas
4x CoP: White
And the rest swamps

Thanks man, I'll try that cause that's just not cool

Ah, you're back! Glad to see you've got new material instead of just posting the list and asking why you got DQed for it.

Thx babe

>And the rest swamps
what

I'll need the swamps to cast my black humans

Questions about Tezzeret's Touch:

-When you use in a artifact does it keep his other abilities?
-When using on a artifact creature that has a passive abilitie, such as, deathtouch, hexproof, trample, iniciative etc...the creature loose these abilities once it's enchanted?

Yes and no, in that order.

All Tezzeret's Bad Touch does is tack "creature" onto the typeline if it wasn't already present, and change the base P/T to 5/5. It doesn't affect other types (For example, if you put this on a Golem token made by Hammer of Purphoros, it would still be an Artifact Enchantment Creature - Golem) or subtypes or supertypes, and it does nothing to the text box. If you slapped this onto an Ornithopter, it would still have Flying- it'd just be a 5/5 now. If you put it onto a Sol Ring, that Sol Ring can still tap for CC- it's just also a 5/5 creature.

Wow thanks!! I wasn't sure if that was right or not.

Let me get this straight on how the concept of priority works;

So everytime me (or an opponent) cast a spell, you need to check or ask of they have a response, that's when priority passes to the other player(s)?

Kinda sorta. Any time a player adds an object to the stack, the default is that priority passes to their opponent (or in multiplayer, the next opponent in the turn order). You can't cast spells or activate abilities without priority, so by passing priority, you're basically saying "Hey do you have a response to this". If they do, they respond, and pass priority back to you, so you can respond to their spell, etc.

If they do NOT have a response, they pass priority back to you, and the object you added to the stack resolves.

Oh shit

Can you tell me for sure who the interaction between Hellrider and Leyline of sanctity work?

Like when I attack a player, is "defending player" a valid target for Hellrider's damage?

I see, but what I don't understand is when someone says "I hold priority", what does it mean?

Hellrider doesn't target.

The only time things target without explicitly using the word "target" is if it's baked into the rules for a keyword, like Equip, or Aura spells.

Is i use a counter against a creature and he has a abilitie that triggers when he enters the battlefield, does the creature abilite activates even if the creature was countered?

Trigger, not activate. And no!

If you counter a creature spell, it never resolves. It's moved from the stack directly to the graveyard (or wherever the spell says to send it, if it deviates like Remand does). Never touches the battlefield, never triggers.

A Counterspell won't stop a "When you CAST" trigger like Ulamog has, though.

As gA said, when you cast a spell priority shifts over to your opponent by default, meaning if they have no responses you cannot respond to your own spell. It's not super common that you would want to, but if you do want to cast things or activate abilities in response to your stuff, you can say you are holding priority and Reverberate it, or whatever. Then your opponent gets to respond to each spell before they resolve.

About priority, I played at the showdown and saw someone casting an instant to destroy an aetherworks marvel before it's activation, the marvel player claimed casting the artifact gave him priority and he had time to activate it.

Later that day some played a Gideon ally said he could +1 before I hit it with ballista, I let it slide cause it made no difference but I thought planeswalkers abilities were sorcery speed and he was wrong.

So who was in the right in these 2 cases?

In the first case, the Marvel player was correct (assuming it was their turn). The active player (whoever's turn it is) gets priority whenever anything resolves, so they could activate abilities before anybody could drop any killspells.
In the second case, same thing holds. PW abilities are sorcery speed, but if he'd just finished resolving his Gid he'd have priority and thus be able to activate a PW ability.

So, there's no such thing as "speed" in Magic.

Second, in both cases, the player who played the first spell was right. After an object on the stack resolves, the Active Player (the person whose turn it is) receives priority. This is why you can play a Gideon and +1 it before your opponent can ping it- because your opponent doesn't have priority yet. YOU do. So you can +1 it, then pass priority.

Ditto for Marvel. If I play Marvel, and have the energy for it, I can immediately activate it as soon as it resolves, before you can cast a spell (though he could have just Marveled in response to the instant). The only exception here is if, after resolving the Gideon/Marvel, the active player chooses to do something else that would pass priority (like playing Gideon, and then playing another spell)

>The only exception here is if, after resolving the Gideon/Marvel, the active player chooses to do something else that would pass priority (like playing Gideon, and then playing another spell)
It's worth noting that said something else can be passing priority, such as by asking if your opponent has something they want to do in response. An example that happened at my FLGS was:
Alice is playing White. Bob is playing Red. Alice suspects Bob is sitting on burn.
Alice drops Gid, asks Bob "You gonna zap that?".
Bob shrugs and dumps a burn spell to kill Gid.
Alice says "Before you can do that, I'll +1 so he Gid doesn't die", I get called, Alice learns the sad truth.

>aetherworks marvel
Well you can't really do anything once the cost is paid.
- Either ou paid 6 energies and tapped AM, the ability is on the stack and AM gets targeted by some removal. Spells and abilities resolve in the opposite order: removal and AM dies, then the ability resolves and you get free spells.
- Or AM gets targeted, in response its controller activates it. Here, you get free spells shenanigans, then AM dies.
You don't really need to consider priority here. Unless AM gets targeted and its controller doesn't activate it when he gets priority, the end result is the same.

>planeswalkers abilities were sorcery speed
They are. If you target it before your opponent activates it, then no counter and no effect. But I'm not sure you get to cast a spell or activate an ability (namely, priority) between Gideon's arrival on the battlefield and the activation of the ability, if there is no step change...