Heres a fun mental exercise, Veeky Forums. How would someone go about making a tabletop version of Homestuck...

heres a fun mental exercise, Veeky Forums. How would someone go about making a tabletop version of Homestuck? Not with the same characters, obviously, but as a roleplaying game?

Other urls found in this thread:

skrub-ttrpg.tumblr.com/
nepeta.mozai.com/games/pdf/Homestuck_RPG_(4E).pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First step is to fucking kill yourself

Probably pretty close to freeform. Something for each class and aspect, and... that's really about it.

Shit gets weird.

really, after all these years, we homestuck fags are still hated?

>Homestuck

I don't know anything about the franchise, but you fag always made good r34

As something of a fan myself, your choice of pictures really isn't helping your case.

Welcome to being a horsefucker. It's been 7 years and there are still people who screech autistically and call for a janitor/mod, because they saw a pony, so now their day is ruined. Bunch of thin-skinned SJWs.

Assuming this isn't bait, what you need is to find people who are familiar with RPGs and not familiar with Homestuck, because the most interesting part of Homosuck was the characters learning about the world and each other. You would want to start with doing individual sessions with each player, before they meet up with each other. Then make sure to essentially never give them ALL the info - they're supposed to make mistakes.

As far as system, the combat aspect is actually least important. It has to be something light, so I would actually suggest a straight up d20 system where you get a bonus based on classpect and strife specibus vs a straight up DC on the monster. No HP and no special attacks, except for the Denizens.

As far as the system itself, you either want to keep it freeform, or something STUPIDLY obtuse, like that game that has a 7-page character sheet and goes so far as to describe their aura. Also, they can't read the rulebook either, so yeah, you're better off doing freeform.

>It's been 7 years and there are still people who screech autistically
I know, it's fucking great.

Doubt it could work. Sburb is too absurdly complicated, and the best part of Homestuck is the feeling of learning more and more about this vast, mysterious world.
On the other hand, if you have a good group, purely plot and character based freeform roleplays can be really fun

It wouldn't be so much a tabletop game, as a joint experimental storytelling project simulation. I've considered running something along these lines myself for years.

Is right in that the ideal players wouldnt know homestuck. They'd also have to be reliable, flexible and not likely to flake. This would be an investment.

It would be an online game. I as the GM would either use some form of screensharing software or creative use of R20 to simulate a homestuck comic panel. Premade sprites based on the player characters, backgrounds, enemies, a metric shitton of household objects and the willingness to throw things together in photoshop quickly. It may even be worth having a co-GM since you'll be doing so much at once.

Players ideally dont actually know eachother. There is no OOC chat for the game. Set them up with chat clients that are purely IC and as GM you sit-in as an observer. You're essentially running 4 high-intensity tabletop sessions at once. Setting descriptions and the like given in a sassy huss text.

Mechanically you'd keep sburb as faithful and overcomplicated as you can, while running combat in a simple tabletop system. Alchemy binges would have to be done as an end-of-session thing wherein you break the timeflow and go through what they're combining 1-on-1.

In terms of setting, I'd put it in the same SBURB session as The Kids; the half-baked one I have consists of players being caretakers who's job is to plant the various plot elements of the actual series, as well as grow the planets from seeds, kill off the white kingdom's Midnight Crew equivalents etc etc.

Basically it's probably impossible. One day I'd like to give it a try. I view a good homestuck tabletop campaign as somewhat of a potential magnum opus, something I'd archive the hell out of and upload somewhere.

bump for interest

If that's how you measure quality of a work, I'd like to point out Bible was some 2000 years ago...

Can we get a "homestuck for the uninitiated" post?

its something like this

Well if all the rp-boards are any indication; once you get to crafting things everyone goes all out trying to out-do one another in over powered creations and the game sort of peters out after that...

>decide to read homestuck
>~100-200 pages later
>decide not to read homestuck

read problem sleuth

its shorter and tidier

Imagine retarded shit and autism that are so powerful that they create their own dimension of autism and Autis the Great New One reigns supreme.

That is Homestuck.
And it's S H I T !

Say what you will about the Homestuck fandom, at least they aren't as bad as the Steven Universe fans.

POST MORE WAIFUS

This.

Start with Problem Sleuth. If you like it, then you may be able to power through Homestuck as well until it starts to get really good - maybe even suffer through it once it starts to get shit again.

There's enough crossover between the two I'd argue they're almost the exact same thing.

user, I too miss the occasional Veeky Forums "how 2 SBURB system???" threads from back in the day, but you could try picking a less faggy OP image next time.

To answer your question, someone's working on this:
skrub-ttrpg.tumblr.com/

4 kids are friends over the internet. They play SBURB, an online game. It turns out SBURB causes the Apocalypse, but then it teleports the kids to the safety of an alternate dimension, the Medium.
The Medium is made out of tiny planets, where the kids go on magical adventures and carry out a game session. It's also the battleground of two kingdoms: Derse and Prospit.
In every game, there's a NPC called Jack. Jack lives on Derse and he's an angry sociopath. In most game sessions he just becomes a small time mobster. But here, due to mistakes and unfortunate coincidences Jack gains godlike powers. There is a series of workplace incidents involving dress code regulations. An entire universe is destroyed.
It's such a massive fuck-up that the kids are eventually contacted by other players from a different game session, who say Jack somehow CROSSED SESSIONS and ruined everything for them, too.
So both groups coordinate to try and unfuck things. Unfortunately it's not that easy.

At some point the story stops being about SBURB and devolves into a huge mess about alien romance, teenage drama, an autistic skeleton manchild manipulating everything behind the scenes, and Deus Ex Machinas.
It's still pretty good before that specific point though.

Only because HS are dying out

Yeah, by migrating to Steven Universe.

do a one-off single session game about sweet bro and hella jeff with lots of beer and pretzels

how would you make a sheet for such a game

people can't draw in the jpeg artifacts

This.

spelling errors, slopping dumb shit together that doesn't make sense, THICK paint on some throwaway miniatures (if you use miniatures)

print out a jpeg in the wrong format so that its split between three pages one of which is just a border

add boxes for ass shit and weed

make them fill it in with a spluttering sharpie

dont use the sheet for the game

Well, what are the defining qualities of Homestuck?
>the promise of interactivity, but it quickly becomes abandoned
>ironically putting too much effort into something that isn't worth it
>intentionally frustrating user interface
>lots of talk that goes nowhere and often isn't even comprehensible
>delusions of profundity

So you'd make a game with extremely complex but intentionally bad rules that railroad the players, then yell at your players when they inevitably hate it.

so a roll20 pathfinder game

Oh yeah, I forgot one:
>elaborate satire targeting something that was never popular to begin with and that your audience is too young to know anything about

It's already been done
nepeta.mozai.com/games/pdf/Homestuck_RPG_(4E).pdf

That's because horsefuckers need to be exterminated.

Thanks for expressing your distaste with a fandom. There are complementary cookies and juice boxes in the next room.

You forgot

>end with zero plot threads resolved, after you just spent years hyping up a bunch of new ones that ultimately are just suddenly ignored.

Hussie a shit.

>The GM leaves 3/4 of the way through the campaign, a bewildered player steps in with only setting notes to go off and tries to make a satisfying conclusion

Just post more lewds you fuck

Horsefuckers would probably be hated less if they were just fans of the franchise as a whole, and not just one particular series done in extremely shitty Flash with some of the most obnoxious voice actors of the generation. It'd be like if you claimed to be a Transformers fan but you only care about the Bay films.

Plus, for a fandom that was so eager to remind everyone how they were all about "love and tolerance", your kind sure love to get angry that people don't enjoy you ramming your little girl cartoon down everyone's throats. Say one bad thing about those technicolor horses and instantly a mob swarms in like, "UGGGHHH YOU'RE STILL ANGRY AT US I CAN'T EVEN RIGHT NOW." The fad has passed, and you should seriously consider finding new interests in the near future, not unlike this whole Homosuck fandom.

Does it have to be homestuck's setting exactly? Or can it be something similar, like a spiritual successor?
You know, homestuck plays a lot with videogame conventions, a tabletop game that plays with boardgame conventions would be more appropiate. You could keep the theme of having to play a game to save/recreate the world, with what you do affecting how the game will look later. Then you could design your own class system that works better too.
The different iterations of reality having different kinds of characters (like there are the trolls in homestuck) could work with expansion packs, allowing you to customize your games to tone and setting.

See

Homosuck major here, we're just waiting for the game to release. You're going to see at least 1 "what system do I run a Hiveswap game in" thread within a week of it launching.

fpbp
love you Veeky Forums
you never let me down

Is it summer in here already?

It's still spring according to met eireann.
Also what about hating homestuck is newfaggery? I read it out of curiosity up until the trolls were introduced and hated them, so I dropped it.

I thought the trolls were all right, but fucking despised the post-scratch humans - yet at that point I felt I was far too deep already, and kept going until the end.

It didn't really get any less bad.

I forget, what are you referring to with the satire?

Is it the ConAir stuff, or am I dense?

My point exactly, it tries to BE homestuck without trying to be LIKE homestuck. It's just a ruleset for playing out your fanfiction.

Here's my anemic, vague concept, pitch. You combine a snakes and ladders/monopoly like pawn game with more P&P RPG conventions. The figurine you choose affects what kind of mechanics you have to abide by. What happens on a tile is handled like a classical pen and paper with the DM handling the encounters and describing the world. At the end of the path is the final boss, who is affected by the different events the players have triggered along the way.
Mechanics that can depent on the figurine in question could have to with luck (dicerolling) manipulating the playing field or movement.
Maybe you could have some sort of crafting mechanic that surprises people and makes them laugh, with random rolling tables or something.

>first step kys
>fpbp
Sounds like someone who's lurked on /b/ for a day or 2 and discovered there are other boards. It's not about homestuck, just you being a shitter.

Different guy here.
Can you please just fuck off and die?

>gates & echeladders
Working title

Yeah, I liked the weirdness of the earlier parts, they had a kind of charm, but it got overcomplicated really fast and when they introduced a shittonne of characters all at once, none of whom I liked, I called it quits. I didn't think it was that bad at the time, but in the time since I've been occasionally exposed to later-on stuff and it's that classic reaction of "What? THAT was where they were going with that?"
I mean, I used to unironically like CAD when I was young and innocent.

I opened the thread and burst out laughing. I don't agree with telling people to kill themselves, but I went into the thread expecting low-level cancer and saw, yeah, /b/ level shitposting.

The idea of course is not to be EXACTLY like homestuck, instead copying its essence. Similar silly language could definitely be a thing. As well as pointless/ not so pointless levelling.
I just came up with something. A class that can easily move through the board, that would be able to reach the boss in two turns but be wholly unprepared and that has to go back and forth all over the board to level up and collect gear and a juggernaut class that moves much slower but is very prepared to contrast it.

user might be talking about
>Interactive fiction
>Point and click adventure games
>SNES RPGs
>The instant messenger Internet era

To be fair, retarded /b/ humor is an appropriate response to Homestuck threads outside /co/ (and, potentially, in /co/ too)

It's less humor, and more genuine advice.

Remember how in homestuck the character didn't choose their class and aspect, and often it did not fit their personality at all?
You could start with character creation, where the players give their characters proficiencies and interests and after that randomly assign them roles. So your delinquent boxer could end up being able to heal people and your smart nerd could end up being able to do extra melee damage.

If you genuinely advice someone to kill themselves, kindly take up on your own advice.

>genocidal marksman needs to use diplomacy
>impatient hothead needs to breed frogs

mayb u cant fgt

i bet u dont even sord

everyone in this thread has autism, including myself

Wouldn't a lot of it be just straight up guess work when it comes to classes and aspects because we saw so very little of them?
Like what does a Mage of Life or Knight off Breath even do?

I'd try her dent.

Pretty sad too, since the comic ended on a very low note. and the game they were supposed to get has been forever banished to Development Hell. Not to mention on top of that their official forums got taken down shortly before the comic ended, and pretty much all of the posts from there were lost forever.

Being a Homestuck fag is suffering nowadays.

Yeah I feel Homestuck was neat but it just got dragged out too long with plots that went nowhere.

Kind of like how Problem Sleuth was one third final boss fight.

Hussie really needs an editor.

For actually running a game I think you might need one of those narrative systems so players can cash in their story points to receive stuff from time loops. It's too much of a headache for the GM alone to manage. Let the players share the pain.