Are there any game systems that have very limited dice rolling or even completely foregoes any random element?

Are there any game systems that have very limited dice rolling or even completely foregoes any random element?

I picture something that is more focused on the players solving "puzzles." Be it that the puzzles are moving shapes around, navigating a maze, or even breaking a combat down into a series of steps that has to be solved in some way rather than just rolling dice until HP runs out.

Golden Sky Stories and Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine for starters.

Tokyo Nova uses cards and hand management, so you can mitigate the randomness somewhat.

have a search for lawncrapper rpgs & storygames

>Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine
>It’s a progressive, warm-hearted game that focuses on adventure and slice-of-life stories
>It’s a progressive
>it's progressive

what do they mean by this?

Opposite of "traditional".

I have become jaded and automatically assume its the bad kind of progressive. SJW kind of shit.

>SJ is bad just because SJWs are obnoxious

SJ is flawed at its core.

... In Spaaace! Doesn't have dice, but it's kind of weird overall anyway

Active Exploits is diceless, though I've never seen amyone talk about it.

Is tokyo nova that cyberpunk jrpg played with tarot cards? Did it ever get translated?

Elaborate

From my cursory knowledge of various diceless systems:

Active Exploits goes diceless by having a resource pool that you have to manage and skills+abilities basically determine how much you can spend on what would normally be "rolls". You succeed in Active Exploits by trying to bend situations into being able to "roll" with what you're good at, and also being very careful with what you spend on things.

Nobilis has some form of betting systems where players bet against each other to see who wins an action, I believe

Amber Diceless is about trying to force your best stats into a situation, with the best stat eventually winning, I believe.

Stalker: The Official RPG has a the players explain to the GM what they're going to do and the GM assigns a series of points based on how sensible each part of the description is plus whatever the PCs skills are. If the points go over the target number, the action is a success.

The only thing I know about Everway is that it has a random element to it, but it's not pass/fail related; you basically draw tarot cards and the GM interprets the card's symbol into things that happen to your character.

I don't know much about any of these systems, but I do know there are plenty of diceless systems out there, and from reading play examples I also know that they *do* work but most require specific kinds of players.

Dread?

please don't.

I don1t want a /pol/ shitfest again.

Just accept he has opinions (however stupid you think they are) and move on.

Also, there's that non-dice system that whatsit runs off. Ryuzuka quest.

Amber Diceless Roleplaying Game?

Surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier.

Bad cursory mechanical knowledge definitely doesn't explain the purpose of each system, woops:

Active Exploits is the most popular generic diceless system with design goals essentially geared towards make it into a more traditional GURPS style game, only diceless.

Nobilis is about the players becoming gods and fucking each other over in elaborate ways.

Amber Diceless is also somewhat god-like and about nobles fucking each other over. Despite not intending to be generic it's been adapted for various other settings.

Stalker is for Stalker.

Everway is meant to be an alternate fantasy system

Yes and yes.
Also, the tarot cards are only props. You use a standard poker deck.

oWoD LARP used rock, paper, scissors and with some special abilities unlocking bomb (thumbs up, beats rock and paper but not scissors) it works okay in a more narrative focussed game where the DM is working with the players rather than against them

You sure? Archive and google gave me nothing.

I'm working on one now. No fluff, no randomizers beyond which encounter appears.

>I picture something that is more focused on the players solving "puzzles."
that part is literally GUMSHOE. while it does have SOME dice rolling for general actions, it is generally resource-based, particularly when it comes to investigations.

I once made a one-page game where the players gamble making blind wagers with their resource pools to interact mechanically with the world. The only one rolling dice was the GM.

I hear that the tabletop system for the Nine Princes of Amber is diceless.

bump

Fourth result on Google.