I need art of cute monsters or things that could pass as "tamed" or bred monsters...

I need art of cute monsters or things that could pass as "tamed" or bred monsters. I'm putting a monster breeding campaign.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts on the "monster taming or collecting" genre in tabletop gaming, then I would be glad to hear them.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.spiralknights.com/Wolver
wiki.spiralknights.com/Chromalisk
wiki.spiralknights.com/Greaver
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does the pinecone fox evolve into a huldra?

I don't think so. I mean... I guess it could?

That's a badass ice-dino

Insert Slot A into Tab B

What's the problem?

Only like Pokemon?

I HAVE SOME FUCKING HOMEWORK FOR YOU OP
PART ONE DRAGON SEED

No, they can be any sort of monster that looks like something a "tamer" or "Breeder" would train. The game I'm working on is a little more realistic than Pokemon's setting (But only a little.) Think, more like Full Metal Alchemist, but people are training monsters to duel one another.

NEXT ONE IS JADE COCCOON. This one has good culture bits on monster shit.

Then you have fucking MONSTER RANCHER

Sounds like a standard Huldra to me? Straightening horseshoes and lifting houses is kind of a thing in their stories.

Then you give fucking azure dreams a shot, a personal favorite of mine

I love Jade Cocoon (The second one is one of my favorite monster breeding games). But I've never heard of Dragon Seed. I think I may have heard of the title, but never played it. I'll have to look in to it.

I think if you were to compare the campaign to any pre-existing monster breeding franchise, it would probably be Monster Rancher.

If you were going to play a tabletop RPG focused on raising and training monsters, what sort of stuff would you be looking for?

If you are interested in this theme but more bio-tech than creatures, you can also check out legend of dragoon and legend of legaia, both solid ones in their own right.

For your consideration, Wolvers from Spiral Knights

wiki.spiralknights.com/Wolver

A town or home base, to grow and build as I am doing monster stuff, and some kind of actual game for the monsters to be in.
Whether the game is monsters fighting monsters, going into a tower with the monsters, using the monsters to hunt other monsters, or whatever, it has to be in there.

also, there's a JADE COCCOON TWO?!?
Excuse me, I have to go.

There's also Chromalisks
wiki.spiralknights.com/Chromalisk

and Greavers
wiki.spiralknights.com/Greaver

I am definitely going to use these. I might have these be in one of the starting areas.

Okay so it's actually going to take me quite a while to get jade coccoon 2.

On the topic of monster games, it's important to demonstrate a society that lives with and works with these creatures. Problem is, I only know how to do that visually. Displaying new settings to players in a game has NEVER worked for me. I just don't know how to do it.

Well, these are my thoughts on the actual setting so far.

I'm running this game with a system called "MajiMonsters". I've never used it before, but it seems a little more suited towards this sort of game than a lot of the material I've seen out there. It has a specific setting associated with it, but I would prefer to use my own, and supplement the campaign with materials from other D20 based games to give it a "pastoral" feel.

It will be set during an "industrial revolution", where the automobile has just been invented, and most people have to take a train or ride a horse if they want to go from town to town. The story will borrow from MajiMonsters' setting a bit. About 500 years ago, the world powers were at war with one another. They weaponized an ancient force that reawakened monsters and they used them against one another. The war was cataclysmic, and almost caused the destruction of the planet. Now, humanity strives to settle their differences peacefully. The Monsters still remain, and some people train them to battle others in combat for entertainment and glory.

I think I'm going to give the players a plot of land to turn into whatever they want. It can be a farm for raising resources or it can become a training facility or a "gym".

Hm, a bit more pokemon-y than I'm used to, but people fucking love pokemon, so it will probably work.

It's got a vicious streak a mile wide

It IS pretty Pokemon-y, huh? But I'm hoping it'll be for the better.

Some features that I think will work well, but I'm not sure:
>Monsters can't be "Caught". They have to be raised from an egg. But Alchemists can extract materials from defeated monsters, and after acquiring enough materials, they can create an egg that is of a specific species.
>Monsters can be bred to make species variants, and can be fused to make a combination species. A frog monster and a bat monster might come out as a winged frog.
>hunting and growing resources will be just as important as finding monsters, so starting a farm with your monster's favorite food might be worthwhile. Also, certain items used for raising/transmuting monsters might only be obtained through exploration or combining them in a lab.
>Things will be open ended, and players will be in charge of what their mission or goal is, each session. They might explore abandoned ruins to find ingredients one week, and go hunting for monster materials the next.

>arCANINE
>feline traces
it's shit

See, the alchemists thing is more easy to access, but what I argue would be more fun is if players had to ROB an egg from a monster. Or buy one from another rancher. Robbing the egg is my preference though.

Resource gathering is more a thing you'd do in a video game: It doesn't translate as well to tabletop, as every action takes a much larger amount of time to do when not handwaved away.

>Resource gathering is more a thing you'd do in a video game: It doesn't translate as well to tabletop, as every action takes a much larger amount of time to do when not handwaved away.

Normally I would agree with you, but my group and I have a specific affinity for resource management and pastoral campaigns. We once spent a whole session role playing a winter harvest, then spent the next session playing out what went down while their characters were stuck in-doors during winter.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think robbing nests sounds like a good way, too. I might make that an option, as well.

OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS THING?
I'm imagining this thing making a lot of chirps and whistles, and being "plant type" or it's equivalent.

I guess the hardest thing after getting inspiration for different species is coming up with names for the darn things.

It is a portrait from some 4x space strategy game. I CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH ONE. It hurts my head. I've played so, so, SO many.

Are you planning on making any kind of distinction in-game between monsters tamed from eggs found in the wild, and monsters that have been bred in captivity for several generations?

For example, in the real world, domestic animals tend to have a more adolescent-like appearance than their wild relatives, including rounder skulls and larger eyes. Also, dogs are famous for being bred a bajillion different ways, but even in domestic animals that haven't been bred for looks, they tend to have a wide variety of coat colors compared to the wild equivalent (for example, there's only one breed of domestic silver fox, but they have several different coat patterns, compared to "normal" silver foxes who look fairly uniform).

Plus, aside from the physical differences, the one biggest change between domestic and wild animals is lowered aggression. Often a domestic animal will produce much less adrenaline than its wild counterpart.

It's totally not a baby Yama Tsukami, but that can't stop me from pretending it is.

Hmmm... I guess this would work naturally through the MajiMonsters system through "traits". Monsters are given traits based on whether they're wild or bred, in that system. So I'll say that not only do wild monsters tend to have more unusual traits mechanically, they appear more "natural" than their bred peers.

One of the "types" in that system is the "fury" type. I can give wild monsters random moves from that type to show that they tend to be more aggressive and wild.

The system is kind of interesting with how it deals with things like variants of a species and evolutionary stages. Each time it goes up a stage, it's owner gives it a trait off of a list, and the traits can be any number of things. For instance, let's say you have a dog monster. When it goes up a stage you can choose to give it horns or wings, or even give it a new element.

I'm stealing the fuck outta some Monster Hunter designs.

There aren't any baby Yama Tsukami pics, but there are totally pics of some baby wyverns.

(Yes, Zinogre totally counts as a wyvern)

>Started this thread about a monster taming and raising RPG
>Talk about finding and raising baby monsters
>My neighbor just came over and said he found a puppy in his yard and he can't figure out where it came from. Was asking if it was mine.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

bitchin games

a little TOO dated for me. Emulation has some trouble with the skill-based training.

azure dreams monster book has some good text descriptions about how monsters interact with daily life

jade cocoon one has monsters wholly merged with the themes and way of living of the people. The villages, the hunters, the barriers, even their industry.

>But Alchemists can extract materials from defeated monsters, and after acquiring enough materials, they can create an egg that is of a specific species.
rather than arbitrarily synthesizing an egg, how about capturing a monster that you then perform an alchemical process on?

Forced impregnation, or reverting into an egg.

It's a signal user.
Start a dog fighting ring.

They're fey, they either just want a quickie, want you as their lover until they get bored, or want to keep you as a pet until you die or piss them off enough to horribly curse you.

This is a good idea, too.

I might make a bunch of different methods for obtaining monsters, actually. It can be up to the players on which method they prefer, and I might make each method have different benefits over the other.

I think I'm gonna start doing some worldbuilding. This seems like it will be a fun setting to expand upon.

I'm thinkin' I'm gonna add some factions to the game world that aren't necessarily at "war", but they are in constant competition over one another for whose breeders control what region.

I like the idea of "Gym leaders" or having experts on specific types that must be overcome, but I know that it doesn't necessarily lend itself well to tabletop gaming unless you're doing a 1 on 1 campaign. (I'm thinking more and more that I am gonna use a lot of West-Marches elements in this campaign.)

I'm not a big fan since it's a lot different from the original, but it's still worth playing.