What's stopping two PCs from fighting each other to get bonus XP?

What's stopping two PCs from fighting each other to get bonus XP?

Experience is only gained from overcoming challenges. If these two PCs have a legitimate grievance, and dueling it out would end this matter to the benefit of one of them, then that one would indeed gain experience points for it - but only that one time.

Otherwise, there's no reason for them to do anything, nothing to learn, and therefore no experience to be gained.

Either or the GM showing basic common sense.

That said, there are systems out there which can actually award bonuses for things like PC sparring without it being imbalancing, even if they're not exactly common.

Depends on the system. Two common reasons are:
High risk of fatal injuries.
PC is not worth any XP.

A GM who doesn't pander to autistic gamist bullshit.

The PC's ARE fighting each other in constant sparring matches to stay sharp

'Training' doesn't stop just because you killed a kobold once

id give them XP if they fought for the first time, as if they were sparing, but not much
and every time after a very small amount like 10xp

Primarily the GM saying 'That's stupid and I'm not going to let you do that'
In many systems XP doesn't come from each individual fight, but stuff like completing a session and story milestones.

This isn't a video game where you can farm XP by killing for an hour.

Do those rules apply to dueling NPCs too?

If a master swordsman NPC challenges a PC to a duel, but they both promise not to kill each other because they're dueling for something insignificant like who's waifu is the best, does the PC not get experience?

It sounds legitimate. If the PC wins, he gets the exp.

"Overcoming a challenge" never includes killing as an important bit.

The GM

>getting experience for killing someone you know almost everything about
I don't think you should be awarded experience for something you've already experienced.

I don't know, do you get experience points from other forms of intensive but non-perilous training? I'd think the warriors sparring would be covered by the same mechanics as the magicians studying mystical texts.

my GM only gives out a set number of XP at the end of the session.

They do, it's called sparring.

>using xp
>not using about 10 minutes after a session to talk out what the characters did so far and how much and then agree on handing out level-ups for certain stats and skills based on rough pre-established parameters
>also playing DnD

but yes, i'd allow a good bonus through sparring if they roleplay it well enough

It is assumed that PCs spar and challenge each other or offscreen NPCs regularly in their downtime just to keep their skills up.

Bam. Easy solution

What if they just met?

Isn't this what Saiyans do with each other? Beat each other up to gain XP?

Not getting EXP for winning fights

You mean sparring?

> What's stopping two PCs from fighting each other to get bonus XP?
Nothing, except the fact that friendly sparring nets a lot less XP than actual fight to the death.

>still uses experience points

Learn when to give levels and for what, and you will be rewarded with players who stay on topic and better moments in the story.

> better moments in the story

Forgot the image.

>after months of studying and experiments, you finally created that golem. Your failures and success's have given you great insight and knowledge. Your character has leveled up.

Is much more exciting and impactful than:
>I'm loke, 3 experience from level. Can I just go kill a squirrel?

As a GM I would 100% allow it with no limit...

But the loser of said fights LOSES equal xp

That's called training, and something your characters may do ICly. Please describe it.

I reward xp for good roleplay.

The DM?

Incidentally I would totally let PC's spar to gain small amounts of EXP in their downtime with the caveat they would need a full rest to recover. Not a good idea to do in the middle of a dungeon if you don't wanna get ganked in your sleep at a quarter of your HP while fatigued.

This is why you bank EXP and don't let players level up till they finish the current encounter/dungeon

Basically, yes. Saiyans were literally a race of PC's, complete with being murder hobo's that eventually got their home (planet) village destroyed by the DMPC villain

mfw my 3.pf gm just shells out levels whenever he feels like. You died or crafted enough to drop your level? Too bad you'll lag behind until the rest of the party does the same.

Yes, I'm aware no game is better than bad game, but I've had a long dry spell.

Uh... Death? You know?

q: what's stopping two students in your real-world kung fu class from sparring with each other to improve their kung fu?

a: nothing, which is why OP is a retard.

I always figured the best way to handle Saiyan zenkai (or whatever it's called) in a DBZ game would be to have characters gain xp by fighting badguys and spend xp by training and sparring.

In any game gaining xp doesn't make you stronger, spending it or hitting thresholds does. When a Saiyan gets beat up he isn't getting stronger by gaining xp, he's skipping the training to immediately spend what he's got banked in the middle of a fight.

Effectively, Vegeta had a bunch of xp stored up from fighting the Ginyu Force and he had Krillin wound him so he could pump up his stats right away.