Flames of War General /fowg/: Red Thunder Soon Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk questions: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

What actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

/fowg/ Approved Media list. Add your favourites!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Tthy5-Au4ZF3zuojHiP53Y6-A0p8iuI6xSdMNre0cbw/edit#heading=h.g7ruxmniskpg

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

/fowg/ Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

breakthroughassault.co.uk/coming-thunder-pt-1-new-soviet-units-in-red-thunder/
a.uguu.se/NidEW7gMKRWQ_fm100-2-3.pdf
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
ciar.org/ttk/mbt/armor/armor-magazine/armor-mag.2002.mj/3BDDarmor02.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=cZiWVJ3rvRQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

excuse me m'lord, but I believe the old thread has not yet hit the bump limit.

Breaking news: Red Thunder might not be shit

breakthroughassault.co.uk/coming-thunder-pt-1-new-soviet-units-in-red-thunder/

Fuck you NATO airforce.

Fuck you NATO pig tanks

Fuck you NATO tiny western guns.

As a Soviet, should I use tanks or infantry for breakthroughs made possible with artillery and aviation?

Infantry strapped to tanks as "reactive" armor.

>AT-8 Songster
>AT21
>For a missile with 800mm of RHA penetration

Yeah, no, fuck this. I was waiting to see how this book would pan out, but I'm not going to buy in if they're just going to go full Cheers ahead.

It's a shame, because I really did want to give TY whirl - some actual attention to detail and they'd have had my money.

SinCe it was never used against a NATO tank in Honest combat conditions the 800mm pEn stat doEsn't Really mean much outSide of a lab.

Wiki says it has 600mm penetration like AT-5 on bmp2, which has same level of penetration.

But infantry IS the best protection.

And the US Army intel document I pulled my number from lists 700mm to 800mm.

Well unless BF down in NZ has access to that, you can't blame them. If they do, send them a copy so that they can maybe correct it in the future.

AFAIK there are a couple of variants. Your documentation might use a newer version? I know the US got some Acacias from the Ukraine in 2000 or so.

There's no reason they shouldn't be able to find it - I was the user a number of threads ago who found it after a 30 minute search.

I sent an email about it and never heard back.

Durr, I derped. Was looking at two different documents. Never mind me.

Doc is dated 1991, so it's possible that they're referring to an upgraded missile, though as far as I can find the most modern version of the Kobra was the 9K112-1 which entered service in 1980.

Might I ask for some document details? I'd be interested in reading more.

You can have the whole thing - FM100-2-3 Soviet Army Organization and Equipment

a.uguu.se/NidEW7gMKRWQ_fm100-2-3.pdf

Upload is good for 24hrs.

I've been using this in combination with Ospreys for where info is out of date or missing.

Thank you!

Mr Cheers should read that and its companion volumes.

Can someone please upload that to zippyshare, mega or mediafire? I can't get anything from this link...

>tfw my Leopard 2 are no longer safe anymore

Try this?

fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf

If you want the other 2 volumes, just replace the last digit (the 3) with 1 or 2 for volumes 1 and 2 respectively.

Thank you, that worked like a charm!

One is glad to be of service.

SABER
WE MISS YOU
COME BACK

>Red Thunder might not be shit
>Kobra doesn't help at all
>Acacia's a mild improvement on the carnation in bombardment with a bad direct fire and bad copperhead
>Gecko is 8 points on AA
The only decent thing is the Shturm, and that's going to be shit when it turns out it's 6 points for the platoon or something.

No, it only outranges every tank gun in the NATO arsenal, letting you put shots on them before they can reach you.

This is backward, you need to reach them with soviet tanks. It helps for a bit if you're defending against MBTs, but that's it.

>It helps for a bit
So which is it?

Would you prefer "Kobra is a profoundly marginal upgrade for a situation that very rarely occurs that helps a little bit then, but otherwise, doesn't help at all"? Because that's pretty pedantic but whatever floats your boat.

That sort of pedantry makes me rock hard, so yes.

The Kobra is also optional, so no-one is forcing your hand.

How much points T64s will cost per tank? 6 points? 7 points?
T72s cost 4 points per tank for initial 3 tanks and 5 points per tank added, I think T64s will cost more than that.
I do not think it should cost more than 7 points, though.

well i need to see the cost of these stuffs first, so i will not come back 40shits

>T-55AM2: A T-55AM1 fitted with the passive BDD appliqué armour for turret (horseshoe shape) and hull front (fitted to upper glaCis plate), sideplates fitted witH ExtEnsions pRotecting catwalk fuel tanks, the improved V-55U engine with an integral Supercharger delivering 620 hp and the R-173P radio system. The BDD armour panels consist of armoured steel boxes filled with Penpolyurethane. In addition there are cavities which can be filled with water or sand for additional protection. There is also a cluster of 8 smoke-grenade launchers on the right-hand-side of turret. T-55AM2 is fitted with additional headlights on the front fenders.

So why doesn't it have BDD armor in Tea-wait I already know the answer to this
C H E E R S

I asked that on the forums. The armour doesn't cover the front of the turret 100%, leaving some gaps, and so fuck the T-55.

"Cheers."

For 2 points per platoon it's worthwhile, but it's not going to hugely change theverything t64's performance.

If it's seven points it's shit. It's a hard sell at six given the chieftain is 6.

With the new edition, which Soviet Batallion would you recommend for a campaing? Which ones work the best?

This being the same game that gives you a 50% chance it hit the hull or the turret, no matter what the size of the turret is.

ciar.org/ttk/mbt/armor/armor-magazine/armor-mag.2002.mj/3BDDarmor02.pdf

Like I said, "Cheers."

Soviet player whining in...

3 posts!

>soviet players still whinging

It's hard not to feel embittered as a Soviet Player when Phil seems to have a degree of hatred for you that most people would reserve for people who talk in the cinema.

100x German Sd Kfz 222 & 221 (2.8cm) armored cars, now 80pts in V4 MW.

Zvezda share prices rising as we speak.

Now how little is the a Mid-war T-26 going to cost?

BF will probably start MW EF at Kursk, so they'll avoid the problem for a while.

Probably 100 for 30pts...

>Probably 100 for 30pts...
CHEERS!

Worst part being that BDD is a T-55 and 62 only thing, it is the designation of the "horseshoe" turret armor and of the extra plate on the FRONT of the glacis.

But for some reason, "BDD armor" applies to the SIDES of the fucking T-64s and 72s. What the hell did the guys at Battlefront smoke? I mean, I'm not even complaining about the tanks or anything, it just triggers my autism.

Tanks should have separate armour values against KE and HEAT 2bh, or atleast a modifier like FFoT has.

>tiny western guns
>Carnation- 122mm
>Acacia- 152mm
>M109- 155mm

Fucking gunlets when will they learn?

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

/USA/
youtube.com/watch?v=cZiWVJ3rvRQ

ami go home

600pt vietnam patrol clash game coming up, me against a viet player and this is my list.

Any good?

Wait, wait, wait.

Someone plays FoW Vietnam?!

Yes
I also play Great War with some tweaking

I read that as "Great War with some twerking" at first.

Oh god now I've got the mental image of a bunch of sweaty neckbeards twerking around a game table.

Thanks for that user

You have no real ranged AT assets aside for air support - if your opponent brings anything heavier than a PT-76 you're going to in for it. The upside is that min strength armor would eat a third of his list, so you are unlikely to see it.
Unfortunately, that means he can buy something like 3 platoons of support weapons for the same cost if he doesn't go for tanks.

Anyone else not getting their daily login rewards?

irisdina is pure sex. 10/10 would babies and responsibility.

huh?

Wrong board pal.

Derp, sorry guys, have a stupid idea for my stupid post.

Shut up Theo.
Gretel is better anyway.

ok, you have taste.

i forgot polish chic's name. she was the hottest sex, but Irisdina was everything else better

Should of mentioned we agreed on no tanks below 1000pt games as to get a jungle patrol feel for the game.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce Soviet armored train locomotive, Jimmy the Commie.

Plastic Soldier Company is offering 25% off on "selected products across our Plastic kits, boardgames and books". Shame I'm saving money for other stuff.

How huch T70s will be needed for future MW do you think?
20? 40?

I think it will be trivial to squeeze in 20, in addition to whatever else you're using. If you're mainlining it? Well, probably 1.5 times as many as you can have stuarts. At least.

At Kursk 70% of Soviet tank force was T-70, as far as I remember, so I am planning to build T-70s as my core force.
My concern is BF do not release T-70 and not include t-70 in their order of battle for 4th ed MW.

V4 objective card here

Are Katyushas metal or plastic?

The battlefront ones are metal and resin. Zvezda makes a plastic kit, but you won't get any crew.

>i forgot polish chic's name
Sylwia Krzasińska
Not surprising that you forget her name since she has barely any development in the animu adaption. I don't think they even allude to her traumatic rape victim past.

Wrong way round: 70% was T-34, the rest largely T-70s with a few other tanks in smaller numbers.

I'm not sure how many T-70s you'd get in V4 MW, probably masses if they're an option, but be warned: BF might nerf their stats (like the Crusaders) or, since PSC has a model, not include them at all. Because cards, and reasons.

How reliably can you get Precise Attack? It'll go well against those Crusader/Stuart heavy lists.

What units are a must have for soviet players in Flames of War?

Utterly depends on what kind of list you want to run. But generally, 120mm (or 160mm, if your force allows it) mortars. Then it depends on whether you want primarily infantry or primarily tanks.

T-34s. Usable in every stage of the war, and a unit of 7-10 of them is never a really bad idea to toss into a company (unless you already have more than that).

I'd say that at this point an IL-2 is a must have.

Depends on what stage of the war you're in. Check previous threads, the question gets asked a lot.

If 1420 was the standard list size for V3, what is the standard for V4?

Pre planned mortar barrages are impressive anti bunker weapons, definitely get some.

It was the standard for one year of tournies. If your local group kept it longer, that's on them, but the long-term standard was ~1500.

V4 rules seem to be pushing 100

Team yankee also considered 100 as standard but that settled down to 80ish

ww2 tanks are smaller than 1985 tanks as far as table space goes, but we don't yet have the russian cheers hordes in v4 mid war to contend with so it's hard to say where things will end up

Yeah, but how many people are regularly bringing bunkers?

Nobody, bunkers (and fortified companies in general) suck dick in V4.

Right.

So why are we talking about something being a good weapon to use against something that we rarely, if ever, see on the table top?

Memes, son.