media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What does your character creation process look like?
What about NPC creation?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/JUHvE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This OP picture isn't very diverse. I offer the following substitute.

first i start with a dozen ideas, see what kind of campaign it is, see what everyone else is playing, choose class/race then away i go.

What's the best Aspect of the Beast (6th level) to take for Totem Barbarian? They kind of all look like complete shit (especially vs Berserker)

well...do you want to lift, see or track? They are ribbons so it really doesn't matter all that much.

Depends on the campaign. I usually play as a dwarf though, and I always call him Urist.
Also, what kind of music does everyone play when they are adventuring, and what music do you play during encounters?

Don't start this shit up again.

bear stuff is good

>The enemy is coming RIGHT AT US

>Pick eagle
>Remember that handaxes are strength
>remember sharpshooter works with handaxes
>Snipe with handaxes

How do I appropriately nerf rapiers so my players choose to use any other kind of melee weapon?

by not nerfing them at all, you retard.

All 1d8 one-handed weapons are Finesse.
If they have Versatile, you can only use it or Finesse at one time, not both.

>nerfing the only finesse weapon available to dex players above 1d6 damage

Run a better campaign

You don't.

I just think it would be more interesting if not every single character was dexterity based

True. I do find it funny how D&D 5e tries hard to be "progressive" by encouraging you to play a fag or tranny, and to think about your character's "gender identity," as well as slipping in little snippets like kobolds fighting against slut-shaming and being natural transexuals; yet, when they make the fighter character they make him a large bestial black man because that is who they imagine would be good at fighting. 5e apologists will cover for this by saying that Corellon was a tranny, by the way, and ignore the differences in intention. The lead D&D developer was actually interviewed by some feminazi website where they congratulated him for putting in this "progressive" language.

Source: archive.is/JUHvE

Don't respond to it and it wont

Why don't you make Strength better

Throw them a fight with 6 x Macho Man Randy Savage

They'll learn to pick a strength based character real quick

Any ideas? I wasn't trolling, I'm genuinely trying to get my players to be more diverse with their character's abilities and such

I laugh way too hard at this

>waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

...So?

it seems like you have a bunch of Dex focused players. In which case nerfing Rapiers only pisses them off and doesnt actually help accomplish much.

Maybe come up with new weapons in your setting that are Finesse and do 1d8 Slash/bludgeoning. That way your players will choose other weapons for diversity and to have a wider pool of damage types.

add more str-based skill checks in your game. make athletics more important, require them to break down doors, move boulders blocking their path, climb, etc.

No one cares.

Not even you.

Does anyone actually use war picks?

Go back to your containment board. We play board games, not argue over stupid shit.

i think finesse just shouldn't let you apply your dex to your damage. then the stat allocation there is more of an actual choice between damage and survivability.

As a black guy it feels like everyone is constantly reading into this shit way more than me...

>players arrive for the weekly D&D session
>pass out cheap 3D glasses you stole from the dollar theatre
>half an hour in, combat stars
>Please put on your 3D glasses.
>every time a creature shoots at you, the DM throws a crumpled paper ball at your face

Why would that be more interesting?

I thought about this, but I'm not sure if I have a problem with rapiers specifically or the fact that Dex is just flat-out better than Str for most characters. I mean, admit it. How many of these
Aren't playing dex characters?

This is a thought, but the problem I have is that players tend to have an assumption about how certain things are going to be when they get into games. The meta management gets in the way of actual roleplay, but nobody admits to it.

The people upset about this live in villages so backwater and whitebread that they're more likely to see an actual fantasy Elf than a black man.

What we're witnessing is a tantrum akin to a caveman discovering television. The internet was never meant for these savages.

Variation?

So? So this game is for kids. Why do 12 year olds need to be exposed to mental illness (i.e. gender dysphoria) as if it's a normal thing? Oh not to mention fucking reincarnate has been changed so that it changes your gender. It didn't fucking do that in 3.5. I don't remember if reincarnate existed in 4th ed. The game is so full of this shit, it is sinister. It's a breeding ground for trannies, they want these kids questioning their gender identity through roleplaying games. And after a bit of experience with Adventurer's League, it's working. They are shoving politics into D&D where it doesn't belong so that they have a honeypot for those they disagree with, to flush them out and ban them from local FLGSs so as to make sure everyone has double-plus-good thinking about traps and fags. They also put a LOT more sexual references in D&D than there ever has been before. And now, if you don't want your kids exposed to these complex sexual issues at a young age, you're a fucking prude. Fuck Wizards of the Coast, I can't even give my 11 year old niece a D&D PHB for her birthday because her mother found out it has sexual shit in it. Why the HELL did this need to be added? Oh, and if you want to know why this is happening, just take a look at the D&D developer team and see how many of them are jewish. Hint: it's like over 50%. Also take a look at how many of those were hired by Wizards AFTER the hasbro takeover.

i am (You) and I am playing a Str based forge cleric.

>This is a thought, but the problem I have is that players tend to have an assumption about how certain things are going to be when they get into games. The meta management gets in the way of actual roleplay, but nobody admits to it.
and you catering to that is what led you to where you are now. If you place more importance on str, the players will eventually realize that at least ONE of them should have a character with some brawn.

>Plays sniper barbarian using handaxes
>Uses paladin fighter PAM GWM

Athletics is also great for getting around and climbing trees and walls as well as knock people prone. Ironically strength is the more utility stat while dex is the more damage stat in combat.

Is this a copy pasta?

I don't think 12 year old kids are going to pay as much attention to trannies as you do, pal.

It's funny, the more time you actually look into people who are really nervous about them gays, the more latent homosexual tension you can detect in them.

>haven't had a single Dex character in either of my four parties that wasn't ranged or a Rogue
>even our Monk is Strength
have you considered getting better friends
adding piercing resistant monsters
making strength more valuable

>i think finesse just shouldn't let you apply your dex to your damage.
I agree. I think it should be an option but it sure as fuck should NOT be the default. Kobolds that deal 1d4+2 damage even though they have a, what, 7 for Strength? Bullshit. Kobold attacks should be fucking pin pricks. It should require training to be able to strike at vital spots consistently, which is what Dex-to-damage represents.

>As a black guy
Why does this matter? No offense man but it doesn't matter that you're black. At all. It's no better than "computer science major here" or "grill here," no one cares, your ethos is meaningless.

>everyone is constantly reading into this shit way more than me...
Well, it is a bit pointless I suppose, but it's fun to point out the hypocrisy of these people, and their inconsistency in keeping with their own agenda.

How do we fix sorcerers? I already use the spell points variant and give them access to wizard spells, but what else could be done to balance them?

>People actively responding to bait after it had died down for a thread

You guys are a bunch of fucking retards.

You live a very sheltered life, don't you?

Strength is great for Paladins, Fighters, Barbarians and certain Cleric builds. Eventually you run and do 1d12 (Great Axe) or 2d6(Greatsword) plus your mod. That's first level spell slot damage for your basic attack.

Again, it seems like you players like being Dex characters. In which case, why stop them? Throw a bunch of strength checks at them that they have to overcome. They made the choice to be a primarily Dex based party, they should get the advantages and disadvantages of that.

Thats like saying if your party was all casters, you should find a way to nerf magic.

Piercing resistance, not being able to damage walls and shit with it.

A warhammer you can hammer a damn wall with, but a rapier's much more likely to break.

The problem is that other 1d8 strength weapons suck unless you do shieldmaster.

Other than that, strength is for if you're a str barbarogue or if you have weapon feats.

I was tinkering with an idea in my head that involved letting them have extra spell slots after each long rest.

Something along the lines of getting extra spell slots with combined level no greater than your proficiency bonus at the end of a long rest.

not sure if it'd be OP, though.

The problem with sorcerers is that they don't have anything outside of being high spike blasters

>Give them access to wizard spells
Next, make them run off of intellect, give them more spells known and let them take a wizard tradition instead of a sorcerer origin but also swap out metamagic for arcane recovery I guess for both balance and simplicity

>Your Ethos is meaningless
My Ethos does not make my opinion inherently more valuable than yours, but it does mean that I authentically am walking into the discussion with certain biases. These biases may or may not be valuable, but they exists.

That's why the term Ethos EXISTS, because it is, in fact, relevant in a discussion. Its just not the most relevant thing.

Preach it, brother. I can speak about the evils of D&D firsthand. My younger brother got hooked after seeing some voice actor celebrities of his play a few campaigns.

The deviancy in the game settings slowly crept into every facet of his life. He started speaking in Middle English and only wears rawhide leather clothing nowe. He stopped getting regular sleep and instead meditates for four hours a night. He won't respond to any name but Llewynnar, and I'm pretty sure he's been taking money out of everyone's wallets to pay for an ear-pointing surgery.

These sickos must be stopped.

Personally I think it's metamagic that's most busted. Some of the picks are crazy strong and some are poorly situational, so it leads to either a cookie cutter quicken/twin/empower or a build that has a horribly narrow focus

>Strength is great for Paladins, Fighters
Wrong. Dex is MUCH better for paladins and most fighters.

A rapier/shield paladin ends up with more AC, better saves, and more skill versatility.

Something comparable is true with fighters, who also get more out of being switch-hitters because ranged weapons ALSO deal dex to damage.

Clerics, same difference. Unless you have martial weapon proficiency, you're probably not going to be attacking anyways and thus want the dex for better AC. If you do have martial, it's the same song and dance.

Barbarians are the only class-wide exception that really comes to mind unless you give everyone polearm master.

honestly i think one of the biggest fixes for them would for them to have exclusive spells. Sorcerers don't have a single spell to call their own.

>Wrong. Dex is MUCH better for paladins and most fighters.
do you not play with feats?

Hence giving them the wizard spell list and spell points for versatility.

I feel like you're making fun of me

What kind of spells would a sorcerer have, but no one else has?

What makes variation inherently more interesting? Why does it matter that all the players want to play dex based characters? Why do you want your players to play characters that they don't want to play? If you want players to play a specific type of character why not find players who want to play the type of character you want them to play?

And Strength PAM GWM Paladin Fighter smashes through like a truck.

Agree on the fighter base tho

>Dex is much better for paladins

You're only right about dex being much better for fighters because CBE+SS is great with archery.

Rapier+shield isn't that good unless you play without feats. GWM+PAM are essential and require you to use strength or shillelagh.

But the point of sorc is to play nobrain blasty mage

>encouraging you to play a fag or tranny,
Fuck it I'll bite the bait for once. Where in the PHB does it give you incentive to do this? Are you confusing encouraging something with simply making the option known? It also encourages Wot4E monks by having them in at all by this logic, but most people won't choose to be one.

>tfw D&D made your imouto adopt a Scottish accent, dye her hair, and drink hard liquor at all times

It's not bad balance-wise to make them more like wizards, but it's not good identity-wise to make something very similar to a wizard.

It's a good quick fix suggestion to give them wizard spells but not a good long term solution.

We need shit like sorcerers having much more flexible magic. Say, they learn a set line of spells (fire dragon sorcerer learns a free fire spell for all the levels, burning hands, fire ball, etc) and they can alter the spells as they need to (Smaller fireballs, larger fireballs, a fireball that slowly slides along the floor before detonating..'
They tried to give such options with metamagic, but it turned out to be just 'you can twin haste I guess'.

Now that's a nice looking female dwarf. Thanks, saved.

Maybe they should just have a bard-esque feature where they can learn spells from other spell lists and cast them with Charisma. Makes more sense for them than for bards really, sorcerers having an intuitive understanding of magic would presumably make them more able to step outside the traditional areas of magic.

And to make it better than bards, let them switch spells they learn this way on a long rest.

Someone get this nigga a dictionary and show him the entry for "incentive"

You didnt answer his question. Where does it say you get a +1 to AC for being a transvestite? Its just an option the PHB is stating that you can easily and completely ignore.

At this point you're just as bad, if not worse, than the whiny people that annoy you.

i dunno man, i havent gotten that far, but when the wizard has all the same spells that you do (and being able to pick which one he wants every damn day), there is very little reason to not pick wizard.

Hell if they just made a couple spells that was sorc only and designed in a way to take advantage of meta magic, that would be great

for example a spell that dealt, say 5d12 damage, that way you could empower it and reroll all the damage dice if you had a shitty roll, or perhaps a spell that had a special rider if the target is forced to make the save with disadvantage, then tack on heightened spell to trigger it.

Gosh. It's worse than I thought. Not that user, but

>You can play a female character who presents herself as a man
While there's no reason they had to say this, it's fair enough. I wouldn't hate them for saying that.
>a man who feels trapped in a female body
Just sounds like it's going too far, though. It's just too specific and it triggers me, and I'm not 100% sure why.

>and I'm not 100% sure why.
probably too relatable.

>the PHB giving you obvious options is going to turn children gay
People have been playing trannies or against gender for decades, even without books telling them they could.

Do you have any angry rants about Mulan saved?
>oh my god they're trying to turn all the girls into men

Honestly that fighter in your pic looks awesome to me. I especially like the curved daggers for some reason.

Your pic is a terribly bad example of SJW bullshit, since the "goddess" referred to is Lolth, who is about as opposite a good example of SJW as possible. She's got black skin because she's evil as part of the basic lore, for example. Frankly that aspect of drow history is one that I've always found uncomfortable and just ignored (i.e., they've always had black skin).

Maybe it's because you belong in tumblr instead of Veeky Forums.

Have you considered not being such a bitch

>Uncomfortable because a certain race has black skin

The fuck? That is racist as fuck.

>She's got black skin because she's evil as part of the basic lore
>This is somehow the opposite of a SJW

I'm playing a Duergar Paladin right now that uses a warpick and shield.

In another game, I have an NPC mine slave the party saved using a warpick, since he only knows how to swing pickaxes.

BUT WHEN IT COMES TIME TO ROLL FOR SEDUCING THE BAR PATRONS, A TRANNY WOULD HAVE ADVANTAGE ON CHECKS AGAINST BOTH MALES AND FEMALES
IT'S OVERPOWERED
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEY CAN FUCK TWICE AS MANY PEOPLE AND I'M STILL A VIRGIN

You're really, really upset that I think a variance in character types is interesting, don't you? Why is it interesting? Aesthetic variation is pleasing. Watching the same character types interact makes them less suprising, with less room for growth. The players also have confessed that they want to see not everyone being so similar, and I don't blame people who want to play a roleplaying game wanting to be unique. It just so happens that most of them don't want to budge.

Just give them spells they get at certain levels to add to their pool. Basically copy the way Divine Domain's work.

Ideally, give each different type of Dragon sorcerer different additional spells to work with, and maybe make Wild Magic roll for their additional spell. If you're playing Wold Magic, you probably like the random element anyway.

This way Sorcerers get more spells but ones they inherit naturally, which fits their theme. And they STILL lack the diversity of Wizard, which is pretty much the point of Wizard.

Oh, wait, I thought it said 'she's got black skin AND is evil'

Carry on.

Though black skin seems to be more of a 'I'm underground' thing.

Can you stop hitting Enter after every fucking sentence? Please? Rapiers being 1d8 finesse weapons IS broken but it's all they have for a niche for them because there is no 18-20 critical modifier in 5e, since that would be broken as all hell due to nat20 being an automatic crit, unlike in 3.5 where you had to roll to confirm which actually made sense because otherwise every automatic hit was also a critical hit. but that wasn't (((fun))) so they had to change it. Because when enough podcasts autistically screech in orgasmic joy upon rolling a natural 20, you have to make the rules facilitate that autism as much as possible. It's just good business.

I actually busted out laughing at this post. I can't tell if it's because it's funnily written, or because it's so hilariously wrong. Please keep it up with "all conservatives are inbred rednecks" meme, though, it just makes you look like a fucking retard. I live in a major city and 2 of my best friends are black so you can shut the fuck up.

Should've sorted this out before the game started.

Okay your post is pretty funny but seriously, what the hell is the point of putting gender identity bullshit into a game played by 12 year olds? What does it accomplish? It wasn't in previous editions, why does it need to be in there now?

>Rapiers being 1d8 finesse weapons IS broken
lolwut

This thread right now.

So maybe the splatbook they're announcing next month should have a bunch of sorcerer-specific spells. They've already shown with one of the more recent UAs that they're developing specific spells for the sorcerer, which is nice.

One of the things about giving sorcerers spell points that I really, really like is that my sorcerer player has built his character around casting first- and second-level spells. He still stays out of melee range, but archers aren't even an issue because he can basically cast Shield at will.

No, it's definitely because they're evil. The curse of being shitheads made them black. It's just like that Mormon religious stuff; blacks are black because they were cursed by God.

Cave creatures would be pale. For a race to evolve in the caves with pitch-black skin is ridiculous; nothing can see in the darkness anyway, so what does it matter if you match the color of the shadows? You don't need dark skin pigments if there's no UV radiation, and there's never been any suggestion that the "magical radiation" in the Underdark (the faerzress) has any biological impact on humanoids. What's more, dark skin would be DISADVANTAGEOUS to your survival in the caves, because creatures that rely on thermal vision (which was more prevalent in past editions) would see you easier due to your dark surface absorbing and reradiating more heat.

Basically Drow don't make any sense but who needed biology and skin color to tell 'em that

so much pent up rage

No, that's not what makes me uncomfortable.

What makes me uncomfortable is that the brownish-tan-skinned dark elves (think the Atlanteans from Atlantis: the Lost Empire), on turning to Lolth worship, were cursed by Corellon to have black skin when they became drow. I.e., the implication being that the darker your race's skin, the eviler your race has a tendency to be.

>i'm not racist, i have black friends
Could you possibly be more of a stereotype

All the 1d8 weapons are sidegrades of each other unless you have dex, in which case you use the rapier which is just as effective as the others.
That's literally it.

And that's not overpowered because it's still a 1d8 weapon, and that does jack shit compared to using a hand crossbow with feats which has better range, extra attacks and way better damage at the expense of no reaction attacks and not having a shield.

What about the mountain dwarfs though? If I remember right, mountain dwarfs in one of the settings (Forgotten realms?) were black.
And they're not evil.

>Just sounds like it's going too far, though. It's just too specific and it triggers me
I dunno, in the context of the fantasy setting I think someone feeling like they are trapped in a foreign body sounds like a great background plothook to me.
There is, afterall, a pretty good chance they actually might be.

>look at all these cool ideas for tranny characters, don't you want to play one?

Not every incentive has to be explicit, or mechanic, you fucking retard. The book is literally suggesting you think about your character's (((gender identity))), and the only reason that would even be in there, is if they wanted you to play a fucking trap.

Speaking of GWM and SS bullshit, how do I maintain any kind of disadvantage on going ranged? You're already not in as much risk, since you're shooting from far away, you get to ignore cover and you're still dealing tons of reliable damage. Besides, you don't struggle against flying enemies.

I guess what I'm asking is how can I hold back a Sharpshooter, even if just in the slightest?