I've been out of the game for a while, since Sigmar came out I ditched Fantasy...

I've been out of the game for a while, since Sigmar came out I ditched Fantasy, and I've been out of 40k for a few years before that.

What the hell is going on? What's all this shit about new 40k Sigmarized rules?

Is any of it worth getting back into?

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is any of it worth getting back into?
Yes. All 'sigmarized' rules to 40k are generally positive.

Nope. You are better off playing another game. GW has really jumped the shark.

warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

8th ed. 40k seems promising, but we haven't seen all the rules yet.

Welcome back. To catch you up:

Age of sigmar is officially a success and growing with tournaments. Despite all the rage and autistic screeching against it. It continues to get new factions and new models, like the kharadron overlords (sky pirate dwarfs) you have pictured.

40k is getting a new edition which is practically a new game. So all previous codeces and supplements are outdated and the new edition will come with a new box set, new core rulebook, and these new books called indexes, which are like super codeces containing rules only for several factions each. But inexpensive, like 25 bucks for about 5 armies of rules. They are meant so you can get to playing your current armies right on release.

The aos-like rules are all generally well received and look to simplify the system as a whole.

Oh and blood bowl and necromunda are back

ITT: GW employees desperately shill a shit product designed for casuals playing without any real rules

OP - stick to fan rules like the Heralds of Ruin version of Kill Team and buy 3rd party minis, or order Chinese recasts or 2nd hand minis.

the main difference is that Games Workshop stores actually have customers in them now, and the fantasy rules have more than ten pllayers. Give AoS a go, all your models have free rules now, bringem into a store and try.

Play Kings of War, not even lotr is good now.

>Age of sigmar is officially a success and growing with tournaments
When that is the only literal offering for fantasy games from GW and people being fucking stupid it didn't have anywhere to go but up.

Depends on whether you prefer Risk or King of Tokyo. Risk Warhammer is gone, but the Newhammers are relatively easy to get into and play. Straightforward and streamlined. For example, fortifications, vehicles, and infantry all uses the same statline now: instead of having Armor Value or Hull Points, they have wounds and armor saves.

If that shit sounds like fun, go for it. If you want a tactical spreadsheet simulator, maybe play Romance of Three Kingdoms.

It could suffer the same fate as Warhammer fantasy and sell like shit and be taken behind the shed.

Warhammer Fantasy only "sold like shit" because GW would only release a new product once every 2 years.

Then, they did their "end times" campaign and Warhammer Fantasy was revitalized and shit from every army was being ordered en mass to bolster the armies to play the larger mega games the End Times demanded. (That means sails were through the roof. Stores could keep shit on the the shelves and restock fast enough.)

And then it died and we got AoS.

So no, Warhammer Fantasy didn't sell like shit because of the it was bad game, but because GW didn't support it.

>Age of sigmar is officially a success

Unless you know something we don't there's no way we can prove this either way, GW don't do breakdowns of their sales.

Might be the case that for all the investment in a new franchise it wasn't actually worth the effort.

You don't make new big armies for something that didn't sell dumbshit.

If only it were that simple. Seems you are.

They were never going to leave it at the two box set factions of Sigmarines and the Khorne guys, that wouldn't be giving the new franchise a chance.

Since release in 2015, we've had the two armies above, and to my knowledge:

>new Orcs, few new sprues and characters backed up by older Fantasy units
>slayer Dwarfs, again a relatively small release of 3/4 unit boxes and a few character sprues
>Dryad army
>steampunk Dwarfs

Seems more cautiously trying to expand the new franchise to me than anything, not a runaway success.

GW has previous in flogging a franchise for too long, look at Lord of the Rings, in between Return of the King in 2003 and the first Hobbit movie in 2012 they invested way too much in new plastic kits when the hype had mostly dissipated and were actively looking for a way out.

If you miss WHFB, give Kings of War a try. There's a decent community surrounding it, there's even tournaments in my town.

AoS, I have no idea. Even if it's good, I'm still way too autistically butt hurt about it replacing WHFB but not being WHFB.

New 40k is looking pretty promising so far. 40k was already a skirmish game, so the rules changes aren't going to mess with the essence of it as much as AoS did.

GW claims to have sunk a year and a half of playtesting into the new 40k, with the goal being to finally release an actually balanced version of the game for the first time ever. Whether or not that's actually true remains to be seen, but I'm cautiously optimistic about the changes they've revealed so far.

It sold like shit because it's fanbase was grognards with massive old armies, and barely anyone new got into it because you needed 100+ models or 5 giant monsters by the end of 8th ed. I've been playing WFB from 5th edition onwards, and nothing of value was lost when they put down the abomination that was 8th.

>it's fanbase was grognards with massive old armies
>they already had old models
>don't release any new models for the them to buy
why isn't it selling better?QQ?!@!?@?!?@!

go fuck yourself

Don't know if you want to count these as army releases, but there was also Flesh Eater Courts, Tzeentch dudes, and Beastclaw raiders. Ghouls and Ogres was really just a specific rule book, and I don't recall any new models for it, but I do hear them talked about a lot so they're at least popular.

production time for models in the pipeline usually takes two years from conception to finished product.
So that models are released is by no means an indicator of success.
Yet.

If I wanted to do that I'd play AoS.

>still mad that fantasy/Not!Europe! Was killed

KEK

>still-salty grognard:the post

>ITT: butthurt fantasy fags still deny that age of sigmar is better.

>AoS is doing good
Nigga that bar was so low you did not even need to try to get over it

Game wise sure, lore wise lol.

AoS is dead in our GW store, literally no one outside of like 4 kids play it. And hardly anyone even knows the fluff because it's trash.

Game is decent, fun to play if you just wanna toss dice and move models:

lotr is fucking great you cunt

best game they ever designed

Wow dude you are so totally smart and intelligent by playing Formations 40k

I'm sure you're upset about your game getting sigmar'd

I'm actually ok with the rules my dude, few things I think were not good moves but over all really satisfied with it.

The only thing I don't like is the shitty hamfisted numarines with crappy lore, that are probably going to be 50 a box of 5

>Unless you know something we don't there's no way we can prove this either way

Age of Sigmar is the 3rd biggest model range, 5th biggest seller at my LGS

1. 40k
2. X-Wing
3. MTG
4. Pokemon
5. Age of Sigmar

source: shop owner

What's your actual profit %, not asking in a dickish way generally curious

In addition to How many game a week of each do you see?

>don't play gw rules
>don't buy gw models
>but still play gw games
are you retarded or something?

Was, now they neutered some armies like the mahud, made a clusterfuck out of basic weapons, removed volley fire and gave a -1 penalty for moving and shooting, made monsters too silly, channeling is broken on that some spells need ot to be as good ad they were before and some like fury got buffed, and heroic strikes are just dumb ways to waste might on all sides.
The 12 warrior a hero thing is okay as it makes deployment easier but only 12 is a bit too stiff.

Sorry, it's not me it's my buddy who's the owner.

GW sell at 40% discount afaik, he sells at 10% discount or whatever your loyalty card is. so 30% does that sound right?

Other than the Card nights you generally will see at least one game going on most of the time. Although it has quietened down as people are working on their 40k stuff for 8th

I'm more interested in the number of games played of 40k vs AoS, because honesty it looks like a long tail situation

I'm betting 80% of his sales or more are 40k or x wing with the remaining 20 on other products

>movement doesn't matter
>strength doesn't matter because of fixed rolls
>nothing matters aside from throwing the most dice at something
It's like what Carl would design a game to be like "just roll your damn dice and piss off for an hour and don't bother me".

I don't need to buy warlord romans to play hail Caesar, nor mantic models to play kings of war.

Can confirm this is how 90% of sigmar games go, never gets past turn 4 and always ends in a dog like in the middle, and a race to get your wombo combo off first.

AoS is just a beer and pretzel game, not that anything is wrong with that, but don't try to pretend it's something more

you're probably not wrong, then again, what little there is outsells infinity, malifaux, flames, warmahordes etc

True which is partly because of it being a GW product, they are like Disney, even the worst thing will sell better then competitors

and they've done that how? 7th was the literal bottom of the barrel, they can only go up.

>age of sigmar rules
No matter how bad it seems, things can always sink further.

>how
Numarines, space space marines with hamfisted lore.

> stopped playing 40k after 6th ed. came out
> skipped 7th
> 8th looks good will give a try

8th edition is the healthy tabula rasa that this game needed. It's a chance to get rid of all that compatibility baggage the previous 4 editions accumulated. So far, I'm positively surprised.

t. GW employee

40K 8E is old wine in new skins

>rules are literally improving
>nope getting worse
unironically kill yourself, 7th is a goddamn travesty and if you honestly believe it will somehow be better than 8th you are in the extreme minority even here on Veeky Forums

>I know something you don't about GW's sales figures
>muh LGS
>actually I'm not even privy to the financial accounts of that

I'm talking GW plc globally you absolute fuckwit.

>Can confirm this is how 90% of sigmar games go,

>play like shit
>end up with shit games

WHAT

A

SURPRISE

>they can only go up.
indeed, they have new management and are doing contemporary things like using the interwebs: having a youtube pressence, selling online, etc...
they're also giving away (as far as i know, all) rules for their games for free as pdf
also rather than go back and service their old loyal customer base they have decided to try to go mainstream and appeal to new markets and playerbases, which of course sucks if you are partof the old guard but can be promising if you are just considering joining wargames after seeing/playing an X-Wing demo

The game lends itself to nothing else really. What do your melee units do then?

core rules for 40k are free, they still will sell a rulebook but you don't "need" it
also finally ending the shopping cart embargo was a goddamn godsend

screening more important units, hunting vulnerable skirmishing units, charging the enemy to keep them in place, and capturing objectives

are you not playing with objectives?

Personally I don't think they're going mainstream, if anything they're doubling down with the "I literally buy £5 glue from GW" crowd and giving them exactly what they want now.

The problem was formations you mongoloid.

>vulnerable skirmishers
Why? No matter how squishy they are supposed to be those things are as a tough to you as a dragon.

AoS Skirmish, AoS Shadespire, and WH40K Shadow War Armageddon are lower cost entry points to the hobby, they can be even cheaper than starting Warmahordes, Malifaux, or Infinity while using the same models that the larger game uses as well
>"I literally buy £5 glue from GW"
i have no idea what is like in the UK, but elsewhere LGS are not neccessarily GW stores and some sell generic modelism supplies, which work great
>going mainstream
they're finally actively promoting their vidya at their tabletop page
they are streamlining their rule systems
they're saying they're balancing the armies (hopefully they do)
they are experimenting with sets of easy to assemble and easy to paint models (stormcasts and khorne dudes)
they have official painting tutorials in youtube
i say they are trying to go mainstream, at least as mainstream as they can push wargames & sci-fi/fantasy modellism

>Why? No matter how squishy they are supposed to be those things are as a tough to you as a dragon.
Thats just false

Even without a Toughness value there are still some units that are harder to take down and some units that are easy to kill

>3+/4+ the game

Enjoy it mate

THE GAME WAS PRETTY MUCH ALREADY 3+/4+ RETARD

>playing the game poorly then shitposting on Veeky Forums

Okay lad whatever

Oh no, you get a 3+ save. I'm still better off throwing 20 attacks at the thing to wear it down than just hammering some minute number of skirmishers.

>i havent played the game but ill pretend to know what im talking about XD!!

AOS is a simple game but apparently its still too complicated for a dummkopf like you

Poorly is the only way to play AoS, just go up, roll dice, hope you roll better.
There's no need to bother about manouvering, no need to worry about getting flank charged. Even lotr, a game that's free form, has to worry about these things as they disrupt battle lines and supports that hold your front together.

The only thing complicated here is the mental gymnastics you're making.

Can confirm this is true. Tar pit the enemy then use memecannons to decimate the enemy, nothing like 4 2d6 mortal wounds, hitting on 2+(assuming targeting 20+) from across the board behind cover.

>no need to worry about getting flank charged.

Dunning-Kruger effect in action

You literally dont know how ignorant you are

At least it meant something in the Warhammer World. Now the tin men don't even have homes, motives or families past a throwaway line about some poorly drawn Realms™ in the latest army book.

it was far more than formations you fucking moron

Please explain to me the mechanics everyone else seems to be missing around positioning that you are so enlightened to.

Even Song of Blades and Heroes, a throwaway skirmish game, has more detail.

Gonna need to see this tactics you speak off.

You don't have flanks to get charged in, your unit performs just as well as it would on the front unless you made the side smaller for some reason when you just want as big a blob of dice to throw at the enemy.

>SoBaH
For the life of me I can't get over the two stats thing.

>turns unit of dogs on flank 45 degrees
dude I'm a master tactician

Try Open Combat mate, it's got a few more stats. Designed for man-on-man medieval games so it'll do Orcs vs Elves but doesn't work quite like how SoBaH will do anything from giant spiders to eagle's.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I don't think there's an /awg/ at the moment but a quick look on the archive and there should be a pdf

Man, the sheer outdated memery of this post almost morphed my face into Yao Ming's.

>As tough to you as a dragon.
>Dragon has 10 wounds and 3+ save, has a regenerate d3 wounds per turn.
>You could do, say, 5-6 wounds to it with a strong melee unit.
>Will assrape you in return.
>Skirmishers have a miserable 5-6+ save, shit tier morale.
>You'll wipe them out in a turn

Nigga, you ain't even trying here.

Vanguard lists will greatly disagree with you, and they are not the only ones. If you're a moron that cannot play it's not our fault. Don't try to disguise it as victimhood.

SoBaH's the shit. The two stats thing is easy and really not that farfetch'd. Look at older Warhamer: models had like 10 stats, but across all models most were the same. Further still, most models had the same WS and BS. Why not just make that one stat? If they are better at shooting, just give them a special rule that says so.

I've found that a lot games add fake complexity just for the sake of giving things more numbers. A complete waste and distracts from gameplay.

>waste time on the little guys when an elite unit can do it faster as your mob weakens the dragon
You're right, I'm not trying and I'm already doing better.

>Using the biggest body count on an objective-less spot.

Not him but I'm seeing a massive flaw there.

reboot to 3 or 4.

There I fucking fixed 40k. whoopdie doo.

Which is more or less what 8th is? A reboot? Sound they "fixed" it already.

It's leaving your best for last, especially since orcs aren't expensive.
30 boys are gonna tie up say, a dark sorceress on dragon just to make an example.
At most she can kill 14, but she's really only gonna do 5 in combat, while the orcs can match that same number of wounds back.
That's a war of attrition she's gonna lose.

They also "unfixed" at least one problem. By removing universal special rules they've added the old "multiple versions of the same rule with different names that you have to explain to your opponent every time you play and also get FAQed differently so function in inconsistent ways" problem.

Maybe 9th edition will be best edition.

I cant wait for them to drop the point system and give you benefits for dancing.

That implies, though she's going act unsupported or that the boyz mobs will get "only" damage in the combat phase. Or that she won't disengage and fly off to help another part of the army.

>Assblasted faggot the post.

Though maybe you said so unironically and wanted (and did so when Sigmar came) to do so, dunno why but you strike me as a very sad fellow.

You're gonna have more than one mob.
Gotta get those dice.

All Tau players are required to serve wine to their opponents for their army is the cheese.

> tfw used to play Tau
> then the cheese started to flow and decide to leave due to new Tau players needing a flat field every time
> now DE and suddenly I can field Eldar units as one army
> now nearly all the DE players besides me jumped ship and now field more and more Eldar units

When will the cheese mongers leave and stop ruining the armies I like? I just wanna play an army that's fast, shooty, and fun.

Just play marines goy.

Might do that and do either Stormtroopers, nuMarines, or Knights.

>u mad XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Top argument, kiddo.

I literally just showed how it can be done. I mean, it's not even something you had to think about, it was right there in the post... and then you fail to get it and try to say I'm the retarded one. Top kek.

GW fanboys, folks - every bit as braindead as you'd heard.

>AoS is dead in our GW store
same here desu. gw only bothers to release half ass factions and rehashed sigmarines every few months to the point where no one cares because gw doesnt even give a shit

the new midget sky pirates are the only thing ive seen more than 1 person care about since the game released

Rules for 8th actually look pretty damn good. Way better than the bullshit in 7th