>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tUQsiv41Enw
harder-airbrush.eu/en/products.html
youtube.com/watch?v=74p9eGwRAog
amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Stand-off-Construction-21-Degree/dp/B00FZPDG1K/
amazon.com/Makartt-Zebra-Washable-Double-Pieces/dp/B01K725OJW/
amazon.com/The-Army-Painter-CP3005-Primer/dp/B005C3CSAU
youtube.com/watch?v=YqApHA3L2Cc&t=0s
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Start-Collecting-Astra-Militarum
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Leman-Russ-Battle-Tank
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WIP Plague bearers

What do you guys think?

There's a lot that looks good, the colours, the gore in particular. Be careful with the thickness of your paint though, it looks like you're losing some detail in their faces.

I would really like to do my necrons up as the mephrit dynasty and I'm reading thru the painting guide in White Dwarf 46 and I'm having difficulty translating the paints over the name changes as I'm new.

They say to use Deathworld Forest as a basecoat for the green bits, but GW only sells it as an air paint. Whats the green base coat equivalent? Castellan green? I only have waagh flesh and caliban =(

Seconded, the gore looks good and I particularly like the colours used on the bottom two.

I'd avoid trying to paint on things like fingernails/claws if they're not specifically modelled on, it just doesn't look right.

Google "GW paint conversion chart" and "GW paint highlight chart".

You'll get a list of all the updated names for the paints and a list of base coats + highlight options. As someone who is returning to painting after 10+ years it's incredibly helpful.

thanks
I'm now dismayed to find out the conversion chart lists Deathworld forest as the new paint replacing gretchin green. Guess I'm going thru ebay and hoping the shipping to guam isn't shit

the purple one looks the best, but those eyes need plenty of work on them.
Still, not bad at all!

apparently deathworld forest paint is on the GW webstore, but not in the US what gives?

nvm I'm retarded I found it

Oh nice, a proper thread.
Repostan from 40K:
So I picked up Valthex, gonna convert him to a DM/CSM dude. Any suggestions on what to add?
inb4 spikes

I had a thought. If i can find the right colours to mix, would it be theoretically possible to make my own bulk Astrogranite by combining some Liquitex or W&N Galeria mixing medium with paint, like Structure Gel for example?

A spiked dildo.

more spikes

rivets

Thin ur paints, bro

I'd say most of it can be done with the paint scheme.
Hazard stripes, ominous glowing for the gun and skull eyes and power coils.

Can't go wrong with a chaos star added somewhere though.

Is there an easy way to strip greenstuff off plastic miniatures?
If chemicals are needed, maybe an austria/germanyfag here, who might know what to use? Would be a lot easier to get for me, I imagine.

I think I screwed up the reflected light from the plasma gun on this dude. I really don't know what went wrong

from my own experience, almost never put light from a glowing object on a flat surface unless it's ridiculously bright.
Key is to mostly do hard edges where the light catches.

That being said, it doesnt look that bad.

Is there any way I could justify the 30k World Eaters scheme for a 40k chapter?

Fluff-wise, that is. The scheme is beautiful.

This is a half-hand sculpted head, meant to look like the dude had the top part of his head replaced, but im sad with how messy it turned out

I'm considering redoing that part of the model but I wonder would just catching the edges even be enough to give the effect? Should I use white or blue?

>The scheme is not in use by anyone (as far as i know) so why not
>Mocking chaos
>shit just looks good
>can somehow be tied in with your chapters theme
Or you could just play chaos already

lighting is about sublty, so just doing the edges should be fine.
Remember he is supposedly standing in daylight, so anything glowing on him will only show on the parts that will catch light the most.

As for colour, just try working it up, normal blue at first, then go lighter and lighter until you reached desired effect. possibly white spots on the very hardest edges like rivets and any other pointy bits.

also get some shade on the poor guy.

>also get some shade on the poor guy.
I've tried!!!! I've washed him like 3 times in agrax earthshade.

I swear to god I have no idea how to fucking highlight faces

i dont know if agrax would have been the best here.
Personally i would use reaikland fleshshade for his skin and nuln oil for everything else on him

Reposting because I have a question:
Does anyone else use Secret Weapon washes? If so, does your final result end up looking so shiny like it does in the recesses?

I don't use sw washes but is that dry or recently applied?

looks like it just hasn't dried because it's pooled quite heavily.

>Is there any way I could justify the 30k World Eaters scheme for a 40k chapter?
yes
because they're your dudes. Just think of how many "gold trim and red armor" dudes there are out there, both as Chaos and nonchaos.

Paint your dudes however you want, and never feel bad about it.

Hi Wip! Do you like my 90s guiliman for fest?

Err. Is this finished?

Personally never been a fan of piss yellow, but I'll hold my judgement for the final product.
Is the halo supposed to look like that?

Looking pretty good.
Maybe put a light wash over the whole things to tie the colours together.

I like the oldschool yellow rather than gold trim but you really need to clean up a lot of your mistakes. Way too many places where the blue is showing through under the yellow, painting outside the lines etc.

Needs to be brighter and greener.

The blue one looks off. I can't put my finger on it, but the color is off somehow. Maybe nut putrid and gross enough for nurgle? Kinda looks like a sea creature. I'd stick to reds and greens for pigment.

>Needs to be brighter and greener.

Praise The Emperor!

Working on my edgy fuckers

It's beautiful

This is how I did mine (color scheme on the right):

Weapons

-Basecoat Abaddon Black
-Layer Dawnstone
-Layer White Scar

Green portions

-Basecoat Deathworld Forest
-Wash Coelia Greenshade
-Layer Zemesi Desert

Orange Glow

-Basecoat Jokero Orange
-Glaze Bloodletter
-Layer Trollslayer Orange
-Layer Fire Dragon Bright
-Highlight Lugganath Orange

White on Immortals/lords

-Basecoat Celestra grey
-Layer White Scar

Here's a Haemonculus conversion I put together last night

bretty dope

Which one of you faggot is this?

I'm not sure the yellow makes much sense. The yellow trim was always for the Ultramarine 2nd company, but RG isn't in the 2nd company. He also has so much of it that it's become the dominant colour on the model.

Probably the leddit faggot that asked for his mini to be 'roasted' last thread or the one before that.

Must have been because it's the first time I've read 'roasting' in one of the /wip/ threads.

Roasting is so dumb and should be contained on that reddit place

Im trying to identify the bodyguards in this picture, both the body and the head parts. Any help?

I think the bodies are solar auxilia models, no idea about the heads though.

The gas mask is from the sicarian rustalker kit.
The scarred head is from the Cadian command kit, one of the veterans I think.

One head is a skitarii ruststalker. The other head is a bit from the cadian command squad.

They've been cut off and put into rugby helmet ( or tank crew) style helmets,

Clever!

Looking to splurge and save up for a real top of the line airbrush.

Not that I'm just going to buy the most expensive model. What suggestions does /wip/ have for the best high-end airbrushes out there, and why? What should I keep an eye out for?

looks aesthetic from my point, good work user

Oh my fuck

I like it boyo.

Lovely, thanks a lot. Im planning to make a whole army out of conversions.

working on some melee chosen for upcoming 8th edition! I just hope they'll be viable this time around.
They're slighty converted DV chosen.

get them dudes some 30mm bases

but I still have tons of 25mm base lying around man, I don't wanna lug them around for 2 more editions...
but I agree with you i should. Any comment on the painting otherwise? Anything I should focus on improving?

What can I do to improve? I'm at this awkward state of mind where half my army is painted but I know I can be doing better and I'm discouraged to keep painting models until I can improve.

Fucking really, dude?

Nuln oil does a lot of good for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=tUQsiv41Enw

Stop being Australian

I have no clue why this is flipped

drill the barrels

The lenses could get some more love too.
Also the horns of the guy in the middle.

nice conversions though

Christ! Yeh that's appropriately eye-searing

Nostalgia like a kick to the nads.

I want to see more armies painted like this.

Harder & Steenbeck Infinity or Evolution series. ( harder-airbrush.eu/en/products.html )
The Infinity is their true high-end series, the Evolution is the mid-range series.
But they're both quite spendy, for both I would recommend their Two-in-One sets, which gives you 2 nozzle and needle sets with a single body.
Which allows you to be more flexible with what you run through them.

As for why I recommend , they're really solid brushes and if you treat them like you should have a life-time of fun with them.
They're easy to disassemble and clean.
And you can buy spare-parts for them.
I own an Evolution Two-in-One, and it's been flawless.

I don't care if this game is dead, they still made pretty cool minis

Metal is fucking horrible to work with

Why did GW make finecast suck so much?

that's poorly assembled rather than poorly cast

Another night lord

That's the Halberd that goes with that torso and the other hand is in line with the other arm. I could not physically assemble it any better without clipping off the bottom and trying to use Greenstuff (which I don't have) to fill in the gap

What should my Mechanicus allies so that they go well with my space woofs? A different sbade of blue or orange or something?

Here's another angle

What color should I paint them, christ.

I would go with orange so that you have complementary colors

Same blue, different secondary colour so they stand out while still feeling like part of the same army.

Figured this would be the best place to past this since both 40k and AoS guys are in here.

Looking to send my unused Tau to a good home and bring in some more Greenskins. The Models are in varying degrees of paint, some untouched, some primed, and some in the process of being stripped of paint from the previous owner.

Crisis Commander,
Riptide,
20+ Kroot w/ Shaper,
50ish Firewarriors,
6 Devilfish,
2 Piranha,
3 old Broadsides with conversion work
3 Hammerhead/Skyray (1 magnetized/slotted)

Looking to trade for Orks and, models depending, Orruks

Some faggot with shit minis.

your best bet is selling them for a quarter of what you paid for them on eBay. don't get your hopes up that your gonna get a ton from them but they will sell fast if you sell them cheap

Whatever color you like.

They're allies, two armies working together. They don't have to share a scheme.

You wouldn't ask how to paint your Salamanders allies.

So like, go for a sort of hazard theme with em, maybe some hazard strilpes and silver out all the mechanical bits? Also, dark orange or light?

I'm brand spanking new to modeling. I've never assembled nor painted even a model airplane or car while I was growing up.

But now I've become interested in 40k thanks to the video games. I've decided to start my very first ever project with a Leman Russ Tank.

But I'm having a really big problem whenever I talk to anybody about painting for the first time, or watching any "beginners" guides to painting on YouTube. I'm getting confused about all this talk of primers, basecoats, ink washes, dry brushing, etc etc. I simply want my first tank to be in a "playable" state on the tabletop.

To that end, I'm taking a cue from some real life modern tanks (see pic) that dispense with even using a camouflage pattern in favor of a simple single color. It seems to me like I can get away with just spray-painting my tank a single color (I've spray painted furniture before), and then going back with a paint brush to color all the things a military could not logically paint over (treads, spotlights, and optic lenses for instance). And then I'd just be done with it.

Maybe I would go back later and paint additional details on it like unit designations (letters/numbers), weathering, etc. But for now, is what I described a "legit" way to paint a tank up even if it's flat and boring? Or is there an excruciatingly important detail im missing that's going to leave the tank looking like ass if I don't do it?

>Or is there an excruciatingly important detail im missing that's going to leave the tank looking like ass if I don't do it?

Shading.

and highlights.
mainly those two

>It seems to me like I can get away with just spray-painting my tank a single color (I've spray painted furniture before), and then going back with a paint brush to color all the things a military could not logically paint over (treads, spotlights, and optic lenses for instance). And then I'd just be done with it.

Works.

To avoid it to look flat, you can either use washes or highlights(or drybrushing). Or both.

Its extremely simple to make a tank look decent actually.

Do you already own some paint?
Get a can of paint in a desired color, for example an olive green. (Army painter does primers in spraycans in various fitting colors, greens, browns and sand color like on your pic).

Then you spray your tank, and then you paint the details like tracks, lenses, guns etc.

After that you apply the decals (they come with the kit, so you don't have to hand-paint the numbers, which you can do ofc if you prefer that look)

After that you apply an overall wash of either agrax earthshade, nuln oil or one of the army painter washes (dark tone or strong tone).

Then you use a dust or earth color to apply a subtle drybrush to the raised edges of the tank to make them stick out.

And thats it.

You can stop at this point or add some little spots of dark brown or any other dark color to the edges of your tank if you want its paint to look worn. This is called "chipping".
You can also get a pot of texture paint (stirland mud from games workshop for example) to add some dirt to the tracks and the lower parts of the hull where mud would collect.

Thanks. I'll look for some beginners guides to shading/highlighting on YouTube.

Right now I own absolutely nothing that has anything to do with modeling. I'm literally starting from scratch.

I hate to just ape & but they're right. Getting a good, solid, tank paintjob is pretty simple and duncan did a good breakdown of it:
youtube.com/watch?v=74p9eGwRAog

If you're just looking for a good tabletop standard you can get it done with 3-4 colors and a pot of nuln oil.

Thanks for the link!

Did you already get the Leman Russ?

To assemble it i recommend the following tools:

A cheap side cutter like this one:
amazon.com/Hakko-CHP-170-Stand-off-Construction-21-Degree/dp/B00FZPDG1K/

You might find one even cheaper in a hardware store. Don't get the overpriced GW one, it won't cut better, it just looks fancy.

Plastic cement:
either "Tamiya extra thin" or "Revell contacta professional)

A set of diamond files or nail file sticks like
amazon.com/Makartt-Zebra-Washable-Double-Pieces/dp/B01K725OJW/

Again, you might find cheaper ones than that.

As for your paint, i recommend a can of this:
amazon.com/The-Army-Painter-CP3005-Primer/dp/B005C3CSAU

Ofc you can get a different color if you like.
The benefit is that its actually a primer, so it sticks a little better to the tank than regular paint.

I was also about to link the duncan video, but was faster.

With that you know basically everything you need to know.

You could look at some of Duncan's videos, especially the early ones go into detail about different things. I think they're a good basic guide for beginners.

Here's a quite recent one on on how to make a weathered vehicle:
youtube.com/watch?v=YqApHA3L2Cc&t=0s

Nope not yet. I was literally going to pick one up after work today, take it out of the box and look at it, and from there figure out what I'm going to need from the hobby or hardware store.

Oh and thanks for the suggestions and links!

May i suggest getting this set instead of a single tank:

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Start-Collecting-Astra-Militarum

It will save you some money down the road compared to buying its contents individually.

games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Leman-Russ-Battle-Tank

I'd suggest buying from TripleHelix if you're in the UK. Start collecting box is only £37

Alright, bit of an update.
I'd like some input on my ideas thus far!

Why on earth do you have that many unused models? It can't be for painting...

I like the pistol and the sword, since it looks fancy enough to match his backpack. The twin pistols make me think of Cypher.

I think you might benefit from just having one of his hands empty, or having one weapon (maybe a pistol) down at his side rather than both battle ready.

Also go in for the fancier pauldrons.

I like the backpack.

It's pretty typical for tau to be unpainted user

Any of you plebs good at sculpting?