Traveller General--Survival on a Foreign Planet Edition

Traveller is a classic science fiction system first released in 1977. In its original release it was a general purpose SF system, but a setting was soon developed called The Third Imperium, based on classic space opera tropes of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, with a slight noir tint.
Though it can support a wide range of game types, the classic campaign involves a group of retired veterans tooling around in a spaceship, taking whatever jobs they can find in a desperate bid to stay in business, a la Firefly or Cowboy Bebop.

Previously on Traveller General: Library Data: Master Archive:
mega.nz/#F!lM0SDILI!ji20XD0i5GTIUzke3iv07Q

Galactic Maps:
travellermap.com/
utzig.com/traveller/iai.shtml

Resources:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Traveller
zho.berka.com/
travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/
wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
freelancetraveller.com/index.html

Music to Explosive Decompression to:
>Old Timey Space music
youtube.com/watch?v=w34fSnJNP-4&list=RD02FH8lvwXx_Y8
youtube.com/watch?v=w0cbkOm9p1k
youtube.com/watch?v=MDXfQTD_rgQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
>Slough Feg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZM7DJqiYonw&list=PL8DEC72A8939762D4
>Goldsmith - Alien Soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=3lAsqdFJbRc&list=PLpbcquz0Wk__J5MKi66-kr2MqEjG54_6s
>Herrmann - The Day the Earth Stood Still
youtube.com/watch?v=3ULhiVqeF5U
>Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
youtube.com/watch?v=nz1cEO01LLc
>Tangerine Dream - Hyberborea
youtube.com/watch?v=9LOZbdsuWSg
>Brian Bennett - Voyage
youtube.com/watch?v=1ZioqPPugEI

What's the most hostile planet your characters ever had to survive on?

Man I would love to play Traveller again but my group is adamantly PF/5e/Shadowrun they don't want to learn a new system

That's a shame. Traveller is pretty gud

Don't you fucking 404 on me.

Where are you IRL? I've never played Traveller but it seems like it could be fun.

Anyone know how to open the Spica Publishing books they sell on rpgsuite?
Should have gotten them from DriveThru, but wasn't thinking straight.

Are they in some sort of weird format, or what?

they give you a 13 mb file that has no way to run or open with any program I can find. Opened a support ticket, will report back.

What's the extension? If you say epub or mobi I will reach across the internet and slap some sense into you.

that's my trouble, there is no extension. Adding one doesn't work and it won't open with their other software.

try adding .rar, sometimes there arew books on CBR or CBZ and if you change them to rar you can unzip the folder and get the internal jpg's

Several come to mind. The Keith Brothers' "Ordeal by Eshaar", a world from a DGP adventure that is one giant fungii colony, and the times we messed around in gas giant atmospheres.

>gas giant atmospheres
With or without the ship? I imagine you could go crazy with jetpacks or other aircraft.

For running: Traveller Book, or Cepheus?

>What's the most hostile planet your characters ever had to survive on?

A well-developed but sparsely populated agricultural world, totally baseline Imperial Culture. Think North Dakota in space.

Turns out the native animal life is instinctively xenophobic, and anything larger than a "gopher" will fanatically attack you until it kills you or you kill it. The native are fine, they've been eating the local food long enough, they don't smell like offworlders. They also think a half-tame smeerp randomly going for an offworlder's throat is hilarious. We didn't stay long.

p. sure you could use Shadowrun to play a game of traveller. The combat and skill rules from SR should work just fine if instead of a shitty apartment they're based out of a shitty type a hull that was written off after an accident and hauled out to the outskirts of the lowport's startown, or living in a scout ship and doing odd jobs across the subsector.

Are you fucking retarded?

Depends on your players. If a lack of familiarity is a "problem" with them, go with CE as it's more like current RPGs.

Doesn't rate an Amber Zone, because the Scouts *also* think it's hilarious.

So which books in the master archive are the "core rulebooks" for Classic Traveller? I've pulled the entire Mega archive and want to start in the right place.

Shadowrun has most of the pieces you need.

Either Books 1-3, "The Traveller Book", or "Starter Traveller". There are two versions of Books 1-3, as the 1977 edition is different in a bunch of subtle ways from the 1981 edition.

Oh man, I suspect you're the same autismo who ranted for two previous threads.

Go read "The Clouds of Saturn" by Michael McCollum

Of the three"cores" the wise user listed. "Starter Traveller" is the "newest" and because of that has less errata.