>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/: What's your favorite setting that doesn't get enough love nowadays?

I'm playing an arcane trickster and my gm just said I could take my spells from any 2 schools of magic instead of just illusion and enchantment.

What spells/schools are worth considering? I don't normally play casters, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

My character's ideal is "I'm a thief, not a murderer", so try not to recommend spells that have no other use than to fuck someone up.

Oh god not this again

Ayo hol up

Transmutation and conjuration are always helpful and versatile, which would be useful for a thief.
Honestly, illusion is of least use to a rogue because he can already do a lot of that sort of stuff without using magic.

If you want something to not come up again, why drag it into a new thread instead of leaving it in the old, dying thread?

There are other ways of learning spells other than being a murderhobo.

Sorry guys. One more thing before I go to sleep cause more hospital appointments...

What's the recommended Read Order for all the books?

Assuming I'll be dipping my hand into DMing that is.

Starter Set Rules (I assume are the same as Free Basic Rules?) --> PHB --> DMG --> MM --> SCAG --> EE --> Volo's?

If I'm not, will the Starter --> PHB --> SCAG --> EE ---> DMG ---> MM ---> Volo's be best?

Or does it not particularly matter? Or should it be Starter --> PHB and then any order after t hat?

Thanks in advance.

Hold person

What do you dislike about the vanilla rules allowing spell learning through killing stuff user?

This isn't relevant to your question, but has anyone ever tried playing the opposite ideal? "I'm a murderer, not a thief." That seems like it would be more interesting.

>Starter Set Rules (I assume are the same as Free Basic Rules?) --> PHB --> DMG --> MM --> SCAG --> EE --> Volo's?
This

If you want to be a DM, the first one is the exact order.

>This isn't relevant to your question, but has anyone ever tried playing the opposite ideal? "I'm a murderer, not a thief." That seems like it would be more interesting.
I ran an arcane trickster that was an assassin. Spells focused on inflicting pain and getting into/out of areas unseen.

It was fun.

>I'm a murderer, not a thief

So, just a regular PC then?

how much does it cost to pay a dude to identify some magic objects?

I'd say PCs are more of a "why not both" type situation

regular PCs wouldn't balk at stealing things.

I'm talking about a guy who sees nothing wrong with murder, maybe even takes pride in it, but will absolutely refuse to steal anything.

So like Krombopulos Michael but with one moral compunction.

Why not just spend an hour with the item, and automatically identify it?

>Honestly, illusion is of least use to a rogue because he can already do a lot of that sort of stuff without using magic.
Blur and mirror image are pretty decent for a rogue

Thanks lads.

That's what I mean by "play them up".

No create food and water.
Lesser restoration has expensive components added (possibly different prices for each type of effect).
Remove curse only removes one curse at a time, and is not free.
Resurrection spells cost more, or have some non-financial cost such as those mentioned in 3.x heroes of horror.

Make the ways of ignoring those issues less easily had.

Is that a bad idea for a survival heavy campaign?

>Is that a bad idea for a survival heavy campaign?
Ask the group if they want it. Some people are into it, some aren't

CoS game coming up soon.

Should I conspire with my fellow players and have us all make monstrous races character sheets unbeknowns to the DM and drop them all on him at the start of the first session?

That's kind of shitty of you guys.

t. a DM.

Other than PAM, what can I do to get some good bonus actions on a Barbarian? Storm Herald.

I don't get it

What's a good module to run for new players? I wanted to run CoS, but it seems like it's probably too unforgiving for them.

>planning on running LMoP for strangers on roll20
Someone talk me out of it please

shield master
GWM
charger

Lost Mines.

I'm doing lost mine into curse of strahd for my new group

No game is better than a bad game.

sure if you want your DM to have you all remake characters, thus wasting that session.

>midori akujin

>Only have a session every other week
>It only lasts 2-3 hours

Most fun fighter type?

Thinking monster hunter or samurai

>supposed to have a weekly session
>winds up being every other week because someone always fucks up their schedule the day before
>only 2-3 hours because someone has to go to bed at 8 fucking pm every day

Battlemaster is the only fun Fighter.

What's the most fun type of character to play in 5e?

>Half the party didnt even show up even having one session per two weeks

are you my group?

Every fucking week, we start at the same time, on the same fucking day. Every god damn time "sorry guys, had to do some stuff." It's like BITCH WE HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THREE YEARS NOW! HOW HAVE YOU NOT LEARNED TO SCHEDULE SOMETHING THE DAY BEFORE OR AFTER?

This is why I'm making a campaign and I don't care who the fuck shows up late or not at all. Did you have to go make dinner for gram-gram? Your character got left at the fucking inn. Were we in the middle of a dungeon last session? Your character has crippling diarrhea or something, or we're playing a completely different side-adventure right now.
>D&D Gaiden

>2 sessions a week
>each 5 hours

Why

>on a flying beetle in a cave with my party
>tendrils come down from the ceiling to grab most of us
>I get out of it because DM rolled a 12 and my AC is 15
Feels so good when that happens.

Best is always personal prefrence

Why do you try to hurt me

>Longest campaign: over a month
OVER A MONTH YOU SAY? WOOOOOW

For you. Lots of players like EK. I've even heard rumors of a Champion who enjoyed the game. Couldn't verify them, though.

I've experienced this and while it's not ideal it certainly beats micromanaging 3 afk PCs between us

>grappling against AC

People who like EK also enjoy playing Champion, because that's exactly what they're doing. They are playing a Champion without extra crits, and the only time they ever cast a spell is when they get hit so they can say "no that didn't hit me" or "i have resistance to that damage".

Find me an EK that doesn't have Shield and Absorb Elements.
Pro Tip: YOU CAN'T

obviously they were sticky tentacles that passively ensare things
you think some cave creature is just blasting sonar or staring into the inky darkness so it knows every time something is near its tendrils? fuck no
biology, son

But it had sonar to know you were there to lower the tendrils.
Internal logic 0/5

>Find me an EK that doesn't have Shield and Absorb Elements.
>Pro Tip: YOU CAN'T

Shit user, when you're forced to choose between shitty evocation and highly synergistic abjuration what would you choose?

That's how most NPCs do it, usually as part of another attack.

No, it heard the beetle.

It's like that for many monster attacks.

Yeah, but doesn't it usually have a saving throw?

Good god.

If you're not ever going to show up, then you're not invited.

If I don't have at least 4 players I won't run a session. So I try to have at least 5 players, but showing up is a fucking necessity.

I'm also not a fan of when you get that player who won't build their own character or never levels them up, and expects someone else to do it for them so they just have to show up on game day and not actually do anything themselves.

Nope. Usually it's auto-grapple on a hit with a set escape DC if the target tries to escape later.

it really works like that?

Every god damn week:
>hey guys gonna be late today, my parents needed help moving a couch from one room to another

A.) They couldn't move the couch on sunday?
2.) Why did it take three hours to move the couch from one room to another?

Had to check and seems I was wrong.

Tell them they can't keep everyone waiting. Put their other shit on a different day. If they can't, tell them as far as your concerned they have shown themselves to have a scheduling conflict with the game and are effectively unavailable on game day, and they can't continue to make everyone wait for them, it's very inconsiderate. Either find a way to fit the game into their schedule or find another game.

This goes double if you're not friends with them outside of gaming.

not the DM, sadly.

Which maneuvers should I take as a battle master? I'm gonna be the party's tank and main source of melee damage. Should I go sword and board or two handed weapon? It's my first time playing a fighter

Ugh. Talk to your DM about it and tell them how frustrating it is to everyone else.

Is the one holding up the group the dm's girlfriend or something?

Trip, if your party is heavy on melee.
Parry, if you're the only thing approaching a tank.
Disarm, if you think you'll be fighting plenty of humanoids.
Riposte, if you're the big damage dealer.
Lunging, if you're Bugbearmont.
Pushing, if your DM will facilitate your environmental shenanigans.
Precision, if you want to spam GWM / Sharpshooter.
Menacing, A L W A Y S .
Commander's, if you have a Rogue.

nah we're all bros, but shit some of those assholes are unreliable. Problem is, when one asshole does it, fine we play without them, when two assholes do it, or when one person actually has some real life shit to deal with (hey it happens) then we get screwed.

For the few times that i did run a game, we started promptly at 3, anyone who wasn't there, wasn't there.

>tfw I was about to type this out verbatim again
Thanks, bro.

I'm thankful to you for making it in the first place.
Especially since it's very æsthetically organised.

One of my players is fond of the Catapult spell, which raises a question in my mind - I was thinking of using a Flesh Golem next session, and their damage immunity says they're immune to B/S/P damage from nonmagic, non-adamantine weapons. Does this immunity extend to bludgeoning damage from the spell?

RAW it seems not, but I'm not sure if that makes much sense to me. On the other hand, it already gets advantage on the save, and there's not a lot of options to hurt the thing since there's only one magic weapon in the group (though two have access to Shilellagh).

>and there's not a lot of options to hurt the thing since there's only one magic weapon in the group (though two have access to Shilellagh).
there's always fire user, good ol' fashioned, american fire.

Fair point; the golem doesn't ignore fire damage (which it did in 3.5 even if it Slowed the golem).

To those who were less than impressed by Wizard's efforts, how would you design the classes or what would you keep or change?

Sorcerer getting unique magic.

Sorcerer getting more meta magics

All martials have access to maneuvers
Barbarians-access to some melee AOE/CC
Monks-d10 hitdice, give them choice in stats (class powers choose between one of two stats)
Sorcerer-spell points by default, sorc exclusive spells

>melee AOE
Isn't that stepping on the rangers toes?

Thanks m8!

Giving sorcerers a smaller spell list

Not him but fuck rangers

>Isn't that stepping on the rangers toes?
Doesn't everything?

Barbs don't need to hit or be hit every round to maintain Rage. Fuck that noise.

Sorcs get a few more SP and can spend one to change the elemental typing of a spell; major energies (fire / lightning / acid / cold) can be exchanged for each other, negative / positive can be exchanged, but force and thunder are stuck as-is. Sorc-only spells.

Fighters have an ASI at 10; Extra Attack x3 moved to 18, an actual capstone given at 20. Some kind of general utility ribbon that isn't linked to archetypes, given at a relatively low level (5-8) so they can fucking do something out of combat.

Monks to d10 HP, Charger for free at some point.

Remove Pact of the Blade from Warlocks so those fuckers stop trying to melee. No one wants you in their party. STOP. "Required" invocations that buff Eldritch Blast given for free. EB scaling fixed so none of this "lol I took one level of Warlock and now I have the best damage cantrip in the game at full power forever" shit.

Rogues get the Thief's Fast Hands by default. Replace the Thief's thing with something else.

Remove Bard.

Ranger spellcasting operates like a Paladin. All spells are known, and you can choose to memorize X each long rest. Why the fuck do they have one of the shittiest spell lists AND the shittiest known/mem/cast scheme?

Wizard players must wear a post-it note on their forehead that reads "DON'T LET THIS FUCKER GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING" or their spells don't function.

>Remove Bard.

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

>Remove Bard.

>Barbs don't need to hit or be hit every round to maintain Rage. Fuck that noise.

You probably know this, but just in case you don't, it's important to note that a barbarian doesn't have to hit. He just has to *attack* (or take damage). So you can miss your attacks all day as long as you're making them. And it can be any attack, so if you keep some darts or javelins ready, you can throw one to keep your rage going if you can't get to an enemy, and the damage isn't horrible since you can use your Strength on it.

For example?

Why?

>Barbs don't need to hit or be hit every round to maintain Rage
I recently found out that they only need to make an attack (which can also be a grapple or shove attempt) in order to maintain rage. Makes it a lot more bearable. This also means they can throw a rock or weapon or whatever at an enemy at disadvantage just to have it persist if they're too far.

Remove sharpshooter
Remove GWM
Make all martials do slightly more damage to compensate

>as I turn the capstan to open the portcullis, I verbally attack the concept of trickle-down economics and let our foes know that the Laffer curve was debunked the day it was scrawled on a napkin

Bards are stupid and casting spells by strumming your banjo is retarded.
Sorcerers, wizards and druids already represent the archetypes of magical prowess and bards just get magic "because".
A guy whistling real good shouldn't be able to rain down meteors.

I feel like letting all martials use battle master tactics, but I feel like that would dissuade people from fighter even further. Is there anything else I can give battle master to make him better, or is this just a bad idea all together?

>(You)

>Bardfags falling for such an obvious Vicious Mockery
This is why I have the most (You)s

>A guy whistling real good shouldn't be able to rain down meteors.
Fuck you.

>not playing a Path of the Proletariat Barbarian
THE TRIBULATIONS OF THE WORKING CLASS FILLS ME WITH RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION AND A DESIRE TO SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION

>Not wanting to play a lone ranger like character who uses a hand crossbow, knife, and a harmonica to use magic

It's like you don't want people to have fun

Make him a goddamn battle master and let them switch up their abilities on long rest?