What kind of monster can I buy for a mount that looks like a horse but isn't going to die like a bitch at the first...

What kind of monster can I buy for a mount that looks like a horse but isn't going to die like a bitch at the first fireball? D&D 3.5, my character is a knight but no paladin levels so no mount progression, but I'm allowed to buy almost anything I can afford.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7wfFGf_nzpY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Monster Manual 2 has the Dire Horse. It is pretty durable with 84 hp which will let it on average survive a 20d6 aoe.
You can also always beef up your mount with magic items if you've got the spare cash. Energy resistance items and constitution items go a long way.

Nightmare?

Warbeasts cost 100+75xHD gold and can include damn near anything. Don't abuse it and be a shitter.

That might work out solidly. No special abilities, but at least I can keep the "knight on horseback" motif. I don't really want to ride something obviously exotic.

I've got the cash, but anything beyond barding is a no-go at the moment for campaign reasons.

Evil outsider, I'm LG, the DM will have it try to kill me at first opportunity.

Just give it class levels senpai
failing that, unicorn, pegasus, and ki-rin.

Yeah, I was given that as an option. I'd looked at Magebred Heavy Warhorse but at level 9 I'm pretty sure one of those wouldn't last past the first combat or two.

Class levels would mean awakening the thing, and I don't want Ed the Talking Horse who talks back.
>those are all exotic obviously not-horse mounts

step1, get a GF

step2. bring her along on a quest involving were-horses

step3.????

step4. profit

You can stack the templates, so you can have a Magebred Warbeast Dire Horse.

can it be half-unicorn to

Right, I meant that I looked at less potentially cheesy options first.

Dude wat

>get a GF
But user my wife would literally murder me

They're horse-shaped, what the fuck do you want? Just put a permanent horse illusion on whatever barding you give them.

>I want something that looks like a horse but is tougher
Depending on how autistic you are about looking like a horse, that's going to be "Horse", and "Dire horse [varying by edition]".

how many levels does your wife have?,

if more than 5, ask her what she thinks of saddles

Bargain with the DM to give your horse class levels in Barbarian, obviously

class levels,,, for mounts?

monk - dat sweet dodge bonus, also kicks are unarmed attacks

>but I'm allowed to buy almost anything I can afford.
buy a better roleplaying game system

consider taking the Leadership feat and picking up some kind of creature suitable for a mount. Maybe a griffon, giant owl, giant eagle, young dragon, something along those lines. They might even get class levels depending on your leadership score.

Worked out well for me. My bard rode around on a Giant Owl Fighter/Warhulk.

youtu.be/7wfFGf_nzpY

You will never have a horse that won't die, so don't even bother trying to find one that's better at surviving.

Instead, you should get yourself an ordinary horse and find a way to apply the half-golem template to it, so that when it does die you're just a simple repair check away from having a functional steed again.

A trained warhorse that for hand wave-y reasons has more health than a normal horse health the same way higher level character has more health.

How about a golem or construct?
I would ask the DM if their are any creatures that exist in his setting that are hardy enough to meet your demands.