Is there a way to play anima beyond fantasy without rules that suck?

Is there a way to play anima beyond fantasy without rules that suck?

Play the setting in a different system...? Isn't that obvious?

Yes, but what other games that support the thing you can do in the normal system without being so complicated

What do you want from Anima? Can't really help unless you tell us what draws you to it.

Fate or GURPS are two options, either way.

Over the top fantasy action and weaboo fighting, also LORE

The setting is shit and obviously made for the system and it's policy of being able to represent everything that can be considered remotely weaboo.

>rules that suck
In which way the rules suck?

Maybe he wants something more rules medium to rules lite

On top of what has been said, Dungeon World with superpowers/ki splat?

Use anima?

>Anima rules suck
>Recommends DW
Explains quite a bit.

Exalted?
d6 fantasy?

Just play 3.5 or 4e

The setting isn't much better, you know?

Is 3E exalted any better? It is not the lightest system out there.

Apropo, did they translate the Core exxet?

>anima
>bad

I actually used Anima as a template for a GURPS game; its power level was toned down (still over-the-top weeaboo fightan magic but not quite as insane as the original), but all the things were there. Ki techniques were still built piecemeal (though I did end up having to drop attribute-specific Ki), Psionic matrices already exist in GURPS basically 1:1, and Magic was the only thing that ended up significantly different mechanically (remained similar tone-wise, though).

how would you define anima then?

interesting, one of the few games that has a large variety in potential characters while still keeping things largely balanced between possible characters, a system that has room to be very rollplaying combat focused or very fluff/roleplaying focused, extremely weeboo

Doesn't powers have basically FP as casting which you can use for Zeon?

Again, I want an answer on this because I want my huge stupid manapools in GURPS but the mana you get for FP is very low.

i find the only real problem is class balance, and the odd DC amounts. Besides that, I think Anima is a rather fantastic system.

>i find the only real problem is class balance
can you elaborate? the classes seem decently balanced to me.

Or do you mean the literal classes that determine your DP costs/ratios and not the general types of characters you can make?

MERP.

Energy Reserve. It's in Powers.

I more mean like, a Mentalist can teleport you into space, summoner can have 1000 defense, and a Ki User can literally explode, meanwhile, Martial users have to hang their legs out hoping for gear.

Also Tao.

>Martials
>Not overpowered
>Needing magical items
>Mentalism
>Teleporting anyone
Hahaha.
Oh wow.

Of course by martial you mean you're taking ki stuff and not just ignoring your MK because reasons unknown, right user?

I'm more thinking of Weaponmasters, who at best. get 20mk a level. That's 4 levels to just have the ability to use techs.

Weapon masters are by far the hardest class to use correctly if you don't dip into them and then out.

They're also by far the shittiest class unless you go for some fancy stuff like being an undying demigod and then going technician for MK or being a crafter that is undying and attacks via magical items or similar off the wall builds.

You can also buy martial mastery with CP and MK with DP, as a side note.

Weaponmasters can be pretty great if you can push your DM into giving you the items you want.

I actually feel that Tao are the strongest class, I had a Tao with Blood of the Dragon for some real anime shit. He was pretty fucking broken. It got to the point that I could kill DR creatures on one combo, and god forbid if I used any of my techs.

>Push your DM into giving you items
>Not making them
Buddy, alchemy is creative.

And damage resistance creatures are known to be dogshit and easy to murder, go make the calculations of a technician with a +attacks tech and a huge damage weapon.

Taos are very strong as they basically have weaponry on crack with martial arts and good MK.

Also why would you ever take blood of the dragon? Seals are awfully expensive for what they do.

I mostly reduced and rounded. I'm in the camp that if you are using something that costs 500 X, you've gone well past the point about caring about 1 or 2 X. If you really want those huge numbers for the sake of huge numbers, you can just append a few 0s onto everything.

Not him, but from what little I've played, it seemed odd that by time the acrobatic fighter can reliably flip around and over people, the Ki user can normally straight-up teleport behind someone.

Because at 10 seals open, I can make 8 attacks that are all area attacks aimed at the heart and take 0 negatives for it.

>200mk+20DP
>160 Attack/Defense so probably not a thing until level 4-5
>5 turn ramp up
>10 ki a turn
>Instagib yourself chance when you go off 10 doors
Seems fair to me desu.

I like a lot of the ideas in Anima, but the system itself has always felt really schizophrenic to me. You have all this high fantasy nonsense in the powers and shit, but then you have super gritty injury rules that will put you out of action for a long fucking time, and even shit like granular encumbrance rules. It always felt really jarring to me, when those bits of the system interacted with one another.

Although my biggest bugbear with the system is losing your action when you take a hit in combat. I understand the idea behind it, but good fucking god it is so amazingly dull to sit there in a four hour combat not getting a single turn because of unlucky defence rolls.

You're trolling me mate.

If you think dragons is anything but pretty useless you haven't played anima with minmaxers. Mostly because for 20MK you get +100 ini. And for another 20MK you get some +attacks tech, proceed to blow up someone because you have absurd fucking ini and multiple attacks.

Don't get me wrong, it's good, but it's not overpowered. There is more bullshit in this game than you can fathom.

Did I mention you also have level adjustment 1?

Take the hit.

>I have tons of options to pick as "martial" but I'm not going to
Yes, mundane (as without supernatural powers) is inferior than supernatural. But that's not a problem with the classes, same is not a problem with the class Warrior if you don't spend points in Atk, Parry or Dodge, that's your fault, not the class.

Do people actually play with level adjustment rules?

Just reduce your defense to half (and then roll), you wont lose actions even if you get hit

It might just've been our GM generally putting us against stronger opponents, but resolving to take the hit always just seemed like inviting them to reduce you to red mist. I got half killed on a lot of the defence rolls anyway, even trying to stay alive.

Hey, if you're letting anyone take eyes of death at 2p with no adjustment, believe me you're off the hook.

And they do, there is a reason the rule is there.

Yet most legacies are dogshit and aren't worth a fucking LA, specially the elemental ones.

80, got changed in core exxet.

>tfw warrior mentalist/technician/tao
Having 16+ Str/Agi/Dex is pretty awesome to be honest

Magnus go back to the shed.

weapon master is good but you have to play them in a very specific build of stacking all the armor so that all the people that have fancy powers can't actually manage to land a hit on you

complaining that martial users need to beg for gear doesn't make much sense given that advantages like wealth and artifact exist, which is similar to how wizards and mentalists have to spend advantages to just use their powers.

>They're also by far the shittiest class
why would you ever pick illusionist

> it seemed odd that by time the acrobatic fighter can reliably flip around and over people, the Ki user can normally straight-up teleport behind someone.
except the acrobatic fighter can also use ki? secondary abilities also get very silly very quickly if you're allowed to use inhumanity or especially zen

Because prowlers are so good at being stealthy I forget they exist.

OK Secondaries plus OK magic. They're garbage like assassin and specially fucking thief.

Riding a beam of light with pure skill will never not be my favorite thing about this game.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any other examples of what they've allowed characters to do with Zen skill checks?

thief and assassin at least make sense for their niche and have a mathmatic benefit over other classes if you want to go all in on secondary abilities

>Speaking of which, does anyone have any other examples of what they've allowed characters to do with Zen skill checks?
I don't have a personal one, but "scored 17 in an 18 hole game of golf" is my personal favorite in-game example of what zen can do, that shit is poetic.

You're misremembering, that's Inhuman, not Zen.

Zen is scoring a uno while playin golf.

>10+ arm on everything
>nemesis
>samiel
>giant two handed axe
Yes. Strike me.

I remember one PC who gained a high enough skill level in alchemy to pretty much always roll a 500. That shit gets bananas.

If you want animu shiet use OVA
If not use ORE

Easy

ITT: pure cancer

>Using OVA

What kind of degenerate would seriously do this?

Why?

A weeaboo

Thing there is that OVA is far too generic to actually use for anime style games.

Anima's rules are very much tied to its setting deeply, though they can be ported into a fair few other settings. I've done Fairy Tail and Fate myself.

The really big factor I'd say would be different in other settings is that magic would be way stronger, as it is what it is in regards to its current state because of the activation of Utnapishtim.

You're going to want to try harder OP. Its rules, while ill-laid out and time consuming to get down, are very flexible in regards to both GM and player creativity. Homebrew content isn't hard to make either, it's just necessary to make sure it stays very tightly within the bounds of the system, or else numbers become too wack.

The rule I always make sure to remind others of is the "bonus accumulation rule", limits a lot of min-maxers more than you might think actually.

Two words:
Git
Gud

Without cards.

Or defeat Miyamoto in an oar duel with katana.

Wow, an anima thread.

Can someone explain to me why ki characters would take energy shield? It's tied to your block and only takes damage if you defend properly (like magic/psychic shields), so isn't this pointless?

Not reall, if one of your party members puts some points into forge and another one into either Occult, Runes or Alchemy (or both skills on the same char if you want to spec them into crafting) you're good to go, not to mention that it's way more fun gathering the stuff and crafting it yourself.
That and you'd be surprised how easily you can get rich early in the game via blacksmithing. All of dem gains (seriously, a +5 full plate armor sells for 8k gold coins and you can get the mats for +5 items everywhere).

Less penalties; no penlty for multiple attacks or projectiles

Also crafting is creative so wm have it at 2 not 3.

You cannot trust the witch; She is heresy.
You cannot trust the mentalist: He is deranged.
Steel and your hands: on that you can trust.

A game MUST be generic to be able to do anime style games. You need the system to be able to handle at least:
-Over the op action games
-Slice of life social interaction games
-Giant robots
-mystery games
-sports competition games

Anime is not just Naruto and Dragonball

>anime style games

This is too many genres packed into one game. Trying them all at once will just get generic garbage mechanics.

Generic mechanics aren't necessarily garbage.

But yeah, that's really unfocused. If there's any chance for it to be good, it'd be more of a "build your game" toolkit where you decide on a message or theme that your "show" has, and build rules around that.

Even if that message is just "killing zombies is cool, guys! Also, tits"

>there will be a dlc before between light and shadows
Or english exxet.
Or revised dom exxet to go with core exxet.
Or more web errata(thanks spanish forums)

Just pay the additional PC or whatever is called in english. It's there in the rules.

Still; I dont get how dragon a 3cp basically narrative advantage is better than eyes or kami:war or naga or eternal since they come with a payment up front and instant reward for free without needing you to pay 20dp and 50mk+ to be allowed to even open seals to use it.

>Exalted
>Implying any moderately insane GM would run that mess

laughinggirls.png

>between light and shadows
What is this?

>english exxet.
Yes please. Either that or OEF version of Gaia 2, to easily extract the text from.

Theorically the next book

Also
>stuck with Wen M instead of Guillen

>more books to never see in English
Hooray. At least Google Translate works reasonably well for Spanish.

Or paniards; I think the game took his time/interest, spanish forum spergs didnt help.

> Gaia 2

Honestly I really would love to see this in English. Simply because this is the book that has the level 15 jurgand agents who decided to take to the farmers life.

Have there been any sort off official announcements either way?

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a translation project floating about somewhere. There was one for all the rules updates and spell alterations from Core Exxet, and one for most of the web extras (not counting Dramatis Personae, which I don't think has been fully translated either).

Spaniard here, to be fair our people did a fairly shitty english translation, some of the stuff (mainly matrixes, some toponyms and whatever the hell a WarSum is).

Nope only "dlc for game soon. Ktnxbye"

Is Anima hard to learn \ find players for? I really like the weeaboo fightan powahs, but afraid I'll be alone in my bear country (don't really like roll20) if I decide to use the system. Resorted to learning 5e and not impressed so far, albeit will always have guaranteed players.

Best is canon lovecraft and confirmation duk'zarist are retard warmongers and sylain totalitarians

>toonyms
>not even translated
Thanks ffg!
Remember guiri. Argues and Mothiano.

>hard to learn
Depends on how much of a head for crunch you have.
>find players for?
Oh hell yeah.

Aye, that's reeking good ol spaniard quality. Wonder why the hell we're THAT bad at english.

It depends, Anima is fairly crunch-heavy, which has some cons and pros:
-Cons: Character creation and tables can be kind of a pain in the ass.

-Pros: Once you get used to it you realize the game has an insane amount of character customization, allowing you to make almost any kind of character you'd want, not to mention that the way the game's made homebrewing is fairly easy to do.

Transation is ffg not spain.

FFG is horrible at translating.

>our people
Had nothing to do with your people though, it was Edge

Dunno if retards, but they don't make sense lorewise, so you have this powerful race that kept in check all other races...while being lethally allergic to the most common metal in the world? metal that is used in wepons everywhere? for god's sakes they go puff if you throw at them lentils

I played them, they don't last much even if you play them super smart unless you start at high level

Theu just wear armor or bombard you with fireballs or psyballs.

You as a PC have LA3. They as NPCs dont.

Also gaira's backimg his homebois

>Depends on how much of a head for crunch you have.
I'm okay, it's just the possibility of learning\designing stuff for 4-5months and then looking for players for 10-12 more which doesn't excite me.

>Character creation and tables can be kind of a pain in the ass
Can be simplified to a formula \also there's Android soft for it AFAIK.

Armor helps but doesn't entirely stop being damaged, the same way it doesn't stop entirely your enemies from being damaged by you. A small scratch is a death sentence like 33% of the time with a pure breed, and a fast trip to unconsciousness if you're a nephilim.

>Oh, you get hit, so you roll for the allergy
>Oh, you failed so you get a penalty
>Oh, that penalty makes you get hit more
>Rinse and repeat

I guess they had to balance their innate resistances but come on, don't make them the boogeyman in your lore when it's clear they can't

>Edge pulled out of DTRPG completely
When did this happen, and are the PDFs still available anywhere?

Also, does anybody have the Creature Sheet download from Edge's site? It needs a login to get.

>Can be simplified to a formula
It's not exactly the easiest formula to do in your head, though.

I repeat user.

As NPCs they dont have LA. What was the save vs poofing? 40?

Also they are shown flying a lot of the time and fireballing people they dont have to go into melee the whole race is wizards or mentalists

Most metal is steel in the world which isn't pure iron. Add in armor and likely them being in the level 5-6 range. Along with a culture that will obviously want to not be around metal and I can see it.

40 vs alloys, 60 vs iron.

Is worse on nephs, what your players are going to play, 60 and 80. Played those, don't really recommend them.