media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
What are your hopes for the next splatbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2hegUgANcTw
donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#type=npc
youtube.com/watch?v=CHU1yaMgYuI
mmos.com/music/granado-espada-soundtrack
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Reminder that paladins are the best class in the game

Second for KOBOLD black DRAGON-HUNTING PARTY

What's the IRL scale for the grid in this game? Isn't it 5cm x 5cm or some weird shit?

This reminds me of something I was wondering
Can/do kobolds fall into the metallic/chromatic divide?

I know kobold dragonshields are listed as having the influence coming from chromatics.

Can I play a metallic-colored kobold as significantly different from a chromatic-colored kobold?

Can anyone recommend me some battle music that's not really heavy because all youtube has is heavy shit.

Sure, it's your game buddy.

I'm awful at coming up with names and physical descriptions for my NPCs. How do I get better at that? Is there some online resource I could use, especially for descriptions?

>Doesn't even change the title
>Reuses the op picture

What do you mean with 'heavy', like heavy metal or?

What do you mean by heavy?
youtube.com/watch?v=2hegUgANcTw

>Storm King's Thunder
>Iymrith knows the party is coming
>ANCIENT
>BLUE
>DRAGON
>sits in her desert base and waits for them to show up
>can be baited out of her lair and engaged in direct combat immediately
>when damaged enough, she willingly retreats into her underground lair that she can't even fly in
>will not abandon it even though there are two escape holes
>all lair actions are standard, but she can also collapse a few tunnels which is pointless because she won't abandon the fight and comes back immediately
You can write whatever you want about how dragons act in the MM, but they're all characterized as fucking retards in stories and played just as stupidly.

If your DM lets you outsmart a dragon and somehow trap it in its own cliffside city full of its own worshippers, the DM is also babyfeeding you.
Blue dragons can tunnel, the rock is obviously malleable enough if there's extensive burrows for the city, so good luck fucking trapping one. The city's also in a CLIFF so the dragon can just fly around outside and blast anywhere the players might be standing, and the dragon should know where you are at all times even if you're hiding inside a building where its lightning breath can't reach (though it totally could). So now that the dragon has your dumb ass trapped inside, it sends waves of its servants in and buries you under scaled corpses. Great job.

No, the best way you take out a dragon that's being played to its full power is by showing up with anti-dragon siege weaponry and magic that denies it the sky. You prepare for that shit and show up with all the goodies; you don't try to MacGyver something out of its lair and assume it'll just stick around and fight you to the death because "ho ho we're playing D&D and fights are winnable".

If players were in charge of playing the dragon and you, the DM, were controlling a party of five adventurers, you'd get the shit cheesed out of you.

Yeah whoever has been making threads lately sucks. The old threads are usually still on page 2-6, too.

donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#type=npc
It's simple and gives you what you need. Change things around if necessary (like their profession).

youtube.com/watch?v=CHU1yaMgYuI

Break of Reality as a whole is a pretty nice group that tends to be softer.

Reposting for more guesses.
What kind of creature fits this:
>lives in a city carved from a rocky wall in a desert
>rules over a Lamia, Kobolds and Lizardfolk
>supposedly has a library
>is a big threat to a 5-man 5th level party
I was thinking a Young Blue Dragon fits, but I'm not sure.
I'm trying to figure out what we're going to face next session.

How good is a tempest/light cleric compared to a sorc or wizard in terms of nuking power?

New campaign starting up and I'm considering it.

Also what kind of damage per round is an optimized warlock dishing out? I have a cool concept but I hate playing crappy classes. My group is a bit power gamery which is fine, but the dnd won't help out weaker classes with good concepts.

Best at what? Utility? Wizard or bard. Tanking? Bearbarian. Damage output? Fighter. They argueably aren't even the best at smiting with hexblade and stone sorcerer.

Does anyone have any tips on playing a "noble savage" trope?

I'm playing a LN gnoll (it makes sense in the setting) whose tribe is all about might is right but has taboos against mistreating prisoners and cannibalism etc

First time playing and I just wanted to rp well

I am part of a party playing curse of strahd and we just went through the amber temple, our party has 2 druids, my elf hating dwarf druid, and the elf druid, as you would likely guess my dwarf doesn't take too kindly to the elf. the elf received the dark gift that makes you terrified of fire. Am I too much of an asshole if I cast as many fire spells as I can from here on?

You'd think if they were so desperate to make threads, they would at least put effort into them. This is lazy

Can I take a feat that allows me to save the game?

Sometimes you just want to reload after a bad session.

Is Eldritch Invocation: Mask of Many Faces OP as fuck or is my DM dumb for thinking that it means you can have full on conversations with enemies while disguised as a known character or am I just a butt-hurt non-caster?

Do it, faggot. Also, I'm asking this from every player who played CoS - did your DM use Muriel Vinshaw extensively? She's an extremely minor character in the adventure, yet for some reason she tends to become a recurring NPC in a lot of campaigns.

Could be a buffed Medusa.
A young dragon might work, too.

+1

Easily my favourite class. From the Witch Hunter with a Rapier and a hand crossbow, to a Dragonborn or Kobold devoted to a Dragon deity granting him powers, or just the ordinary good old Lawful Asshole Paladin. Or the fighty Pseudo-Druid, or the Knight devoted to his long.

Literally the most versatile class in the game, best fluff, best crunch, and always super useful either by himself or in a party. It is actually impossible to go wrong with this class.

no, must just be your DM.

mmos.com/music/granado-espada-soundtrack
>Violin of the Death
>Rhapsody
>La Vistazo
>Espada Nigero
>Celestia
>Akashic Record
>Flamengo Fighters
>Helios
>Batista
>Endless Battle

Then that's SKT's fault. I'm running Tyranny of Dragons and all dragons the party is supposed to face have escape routes and a certain HP threshold after which they will flee. All the dragon encounters have instructions for the DM on how the dragon would act, using traps, minions, hit-and-run tactics.

So far the party has only faced one adult white, and the only reason they killed it was because the flying champion fighter did like 60 damage to it in a turn (whereas the module instructed it would flee once reduced to 40 HP or less, it didn't had the chance).

No one posts anything useful past the bump limit. Who gives a shit what page the thread is on once it's dead? I know I don't come in here with a story or a question if I see the post count is over 300, and I know you fuckers do the same thing.

We're not gonna run out of internet ink if we keep making threads.

It's a shitposter who has been deliberately posting blacks as the OP for a while now like it's /5eg/'s version of kitsuneposting. The best you can do is make a new thread with a better OP and direct everyone else to it.

It's disguise self at-will. I mean, nothing fancy or special, but you can pretend to be someone else.

If they're a warlock chances are they have high charisma and a deception proficiency so they probably just use it with naturally high rolls.

I bet they do it because it triggers you three so bad.

Lamia fluff says they usually serve Graz'zt and protect special places for him so it could also be another, more powerful minion of Graz'zt guarding the place as well.

op we know its you.

Nah, I only make threads with cowboys as the OP image and I have no black cowboys.

My DM hates 5th ed because there is nothing useful or interesting to spend money on. He wants us to be able to buy magic items (and I want to be able to buy them) because magic items make the game fun and interesting. But magic items have no associated prices, so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.

How do we remedy this situation?

Brokeback Mountain General When

>impossible to go wrong
Ranged.

I want to make love to an ebony-skinned woman until I put her in the family way!

Literally make up prices ad hoc.

I mean, seriously? DMs have to invent shit. If your DM or group isn't willing to deviate from the MM or whatever printed adventure you're running, you're going to have a shit time. It's not the way to play D&D. You're supposed to look at that stuff as guidelines, examples of how stuff should look, and then go on to make your own, better shit.

What's more, it doesn't even matter what price the DM gives to all the magical items, because he's also in charge of how much money the party finds. Whether a +1 sword costs 1,000gp or 100,000gp, he can give you as little or as much cash as is necessary to make that seem like an expense.

>so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.
this desu. There are guidelines for magic item prices, though, as you can see in pic related. Consumables are worth half of that.

OP is a false flagger trying to get 5EG banned by making too many threads too fast and /pol/ posting.

Guardian Naga

Each square is assumed to by a 5ftx5ft space in most battle-scale maps.

The DMG has price suggestions based on item rarity.

They're even ranges, so he can price them high, and have a clear idea where to stop the bartering.

>so he would just have to literally make up prices ad hoc.
The answer is right in front of you.

Right but for the miniatures and spell templates, what size should the grid be in real life?

I'm playing a Druid for the first time, going with Moon. What are some essential spells that I should look into? I have level 1 and 2 slots and I can prepare up to 8. So far I'm thinking I'm gonna go with Goodberry, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, and Create or Destroy Water for level 1 spells, plus Moonbeam and Enhance Ability for level 2s. So I need two more.

>he wants us to be able to buy magic items
Pleb
Regardless, just use prices from old editions, maybe convert a bit if prices have changed for other things from whatever edition you're using.

I have given my level 9 party maybe 150k gold and a dozen or so magic items, one of which is a legendary.

Isn't it a major failure of the system to just tell the DM to make up numbers? Like, isn't that what the rulebooks are for? Why would he pay for a rulebook that just tells him "make it up"?

This is what he's asked me, and I'm inclined to agree.

Our party is getting prepared for going to the final battle with Iymrith in Storm King's Thunder and I have to say I'm pretty proud of the large amount of allies we've convinced to fight under our banner.

>King Hekaton's storm giants
>Fellgalos
>Zepheros
>An army of 200+ Goblins
>A crazy ship captain and her crew who are obsessed with killing dragons
>The cultist crew of our airship
>The elemental from Ironslag in an Iron Flask if shit gets really out of hand

id say barkskin, makes it harder to get hit

Gentlemen, how do we fix pact of the blade warlock?

I think it goes without saying that they should get thirsting blade for free at level 5.

The UA did a lot for the class, but I think all of the pact of the blade specific invocations should use whatever your pact weapon is, rather than requiring you to use a specific type of weapon. Would allow hexblades to use a quarterstaff, and still take the invocation that makes pact of the blade worth it, same with other patrons.

Anyone disagree?

Tempest is much more in your face than the others you mentioned. Also, clerics are generally going to prioritize their cleric spells. I would go sorcerer for pure blasting. Warlocks do pretty good damage but if you want to do more than shoot things with eldritch blast all day it's not what you're looking for in a nuker.

>miniatures
>spell templates
Nigga what?

Also strongly hint at your DM to allow for special Druidic items that enhance your beast shape abilities.

Ask them for items that give +CR for taking new transformations (or just flat give you the ability to take the shape of a specific creature once a day, let's say), and perhaps when you reach really high levels maybe a legendary item that allows you to use one legendary action or lair action of a creature you've transformed into. Stuff like that.

No, because the system assumes you're not going to buy magic items. Most of all, because the developers wanted to give each DM the power to make those decisions himself. If they gave straight prices to magic items and a DM wanted to run a game where magic is rare and they can't buy it, the DM would have to deal with players sperging out about him being unfair, because "it's in the books!"

Nah but the final phase of a thread is good for solving any remaining questions.

He's spamming so he can make it Basketball Cleric themed.

that sounds mostly standard to me

Multiattack and medium armor + shields would help. Just, y'know, try to bump them up to Valor Bard's level

>Isn't it a major failure of the system to just tell the DM to make up numbers?
No? Every party and group is different. Taking a one-size-fits-all approach is fucking stupid. Base adherence to the stats in the books is not only boring, but it leads to metagaming nonsense.

It also assumes that the designers of the system and all those numbers are good at their jobs, which they aren't.

Bying magic items removes half the fun.
>Ah, where I got my beloved blade? You see, after an epic showdown with Ul'drah the warlord of the pale shield host I claimed his blade as my own. In his time, the warlord fashioned this sword out of dragon's bone.
Versus
>Oh yeah I bought a +2 sword in Ballsleff.

>No, because the system assumes you're not going to buy magic items. Most of all, because the developers wanted to give each DM the power to make those decisions himself
These sentences are at odds. If the system wanted to give the DM options, then they should have provided prices. The DM can always choose to ignore the prices. The dungeon master's guide exists to make the DM's life easier. It takes 0 effort to ignore a rule, but a ton of time and effort to come up with logical prices for an entire book's worth of magical items.

>If they gave straight prices to magic items and a DM wanted to run a game where magic is rare and they can't buy it, the DM would have to deal with players sperging out about him being unfair, because "it's in the books!"
Rule 0. If you're just going to start removing content from the game because you're afraid of players using it against the DM, then you're gonna wind up with an empty book.

I mean seriously, why would 5th ed keep item weight and encumberance, and NOT magical item prices? What group is going to be tracking how many pounds each person is carrying?

Most of the party is martials so I probably wouldn't be getting targeted all that much, and even if I was in the thick of combat 9 times out of 10 I'd probably be in beast form anyway. So considering that Barkskin seems like it might be kind of a waste.
Like I said though I've never played a druid before so I'm just guessing, maybe I'm wrong.

when you are a huge sized snake thats grappling an enemy you're gonna get hit. a lot.

You can maintain concentration on barkskin while in beast form if you cast it beforehand. Handy since many beasts have 11-12 AC

Oh, neat, I didn't know that.
Yeah, you're right, that's helpful.

+2 items are boring period.

For reference, we're currently playing 3.5. I'm a Dragonfire adept dragon weeaboo. The campaign started at high level, so we all had a bunch of gold to spend during character creation. Rather than starting with fucking nothing, I was able to start with a bunch of dragon-themed magic items which let me do cool stuff. Like speak with the dead, or summon an elemental, or teleport short distances.

If the only magic items you use are +X items, then you're using magic items wrong.

>It also assumes that the designers of the system and all those numbers are good at their jobs, which they aren't.
Okay... so why would he play 5th ed if it's poorly designed?

I think we're going to have
>King Hekaton + Storm Giants
>other Giants
>Felgaros
>Zephyros, without his tower because we rammed it into the Cloud Giant Castle
>10 Dwarven Defenders from Mythril Hall and a Dwarven Spec Ops Strikeforce led by a cool guy
>a retired Champion who travels with ~10 suits of Animated Armor and some Animated Weapons
>a squad of Elven Arcane Archers
>maybe some guys from the Knights of Samular and the Lord's Alliance if we can pry them away from defending Waterdeep
>my pet Axebeak
>Adamantine Power Armor for the Fighter
>Warlock's Wind Elemental
Gonna have to walk there, though, since we've blown up every mode of transport we've encountered, including two outputs on the Teleportation Circle network.

>Argument 1
Having a rule for everything crowds out important, universally used rules. It makes for a poorer reading experience, and a less enjoyable system as a whole.
>Argument 2
The exact price of a magic item will vary greatly across settings, if they can even be bought.
You wont be able to make a list that satisfies a large majority of groups, so it's kinda a wasted effort.
>Argument 3
Forcing the DM to be creative and think for himself will generally make for a better gameplay experience. Yes, there should be guidelines so the DM isn't building everything from scratch. See the 'suggested prices' posted previously.

You can also use call lightning for example in this way, meaning you'll be blasting and mauling at the same time

Because other things are designed even more poorly, and poor design isn't a constant throughout a system. You can say that these rules work but these few over here are stupid, overpowered, underpowered, whatever. My car having a bad brake light doesn't mean I buy a new car, it means I replace the brake light.

>Okay... so why would he play 5th ed if it's poorly designed?
Why are you here if you're just going to whine and whine about the system with no semblance of an open mind? You've already made your decision

more likely heat metal, because call lightning uses an action, so unless if you're a bird using it and flying high above the fight, you'll either have to maul or blast

For games starting at higher levels, I agree with you. Good for us that there is a table for prices of magical items.

>If the system wanted to give the DM options, then they should have provided prices. The DM can always choose to ignore the prices.
And the players can always bitch and moan.

Not giving prices for magic items is a really fucking good idea; 5e isn't based on the assumption that characters will even get ONE magic item by level 20. Magic items are bonuses, not expected to be handed out.

That said, you can run a game where they're handed out like candy on Halloween, and if you want prices, USE THE SUGGESTIONS IN THE DMG.

Your DM is bitching because he has to put a tiny amount of thought into this, or because he hasn't realized he can just use a fucking online number generator to randomly generate a number in a range (say, one of the suggested ranges in the DMG) to generate a price without him having to think.

>I mean seriously, why would 5th ed keep item weight and encumberance, and NOT magical item prices?
Because it's assumed EVERYONE will be carrying stuff.

And it's NOT assumed ANYONE will get a magic item.

Ah, I thought it was a bonus action on subsequent turns. That did sound a little too strong

I want to like 5th ed, and I'm asking for ways to remedy perceived problems, but I am literally being told that it's badly designed.

My moon druid has yet to try out the bird method I proposed but I hope to at some point

You can name any system and someone who plays it will be able to tell you that X part of it is fucking stupid or not as good as some other system's, and/or that you are also encouraged to make up your own numbers and rules.

Stop being a whinging little bitch.

By one person.

There are easy ways to remedy these problems; your DM is just a lazy sack of shit if he can't come up with the prices for items.

Especially because he doesn't have to come up with the prices for every single item in the book, only the ones he intends to have up for sale somewhere.

>5e isn't based on the assumption that characters will even get ONE magic item by level 20
I guess this is a major problem. The classes by themselves aren't interesting enough for me (or the DM or our other main player), so we rely on magical items pretty heavily. If 5th ed is seriously designed so that magical items aren't an expected part of gameplay then I guess it's just not the game for us.

Does summoned creature provide exp?

Also (as previously mentioned) he can just look at the suggested prices in the book, choose randomly or use RNG online

They can if you want.
But if you were smart, you wouldn't use XP to begin with.

Yeah, that might be true.

But again, just because it isn't designed with doling out magic items like welfare cheques, doesn't mean you can't make it work.

But since it isn't designed with that in mind, it does mean there'll be a minuscule (and I really do mean minuscule in this case, since the designers literally laid out a way to do it) amount of work on the DM's part involved.

But if your group is so fucking lazy you can't, say, submit a list of items you're interested in to the DM, which he can then add to items he thinks are interesting, and then only bother pricing that bunch of items, I can't fucking imagine any of you are pleasant to play with, considering this is a game based around putting effort into the roleplaying and shit.

You get out of it what you put into it.

If I were silly and not using milestones, I'd say that creatures summoned in a non-permanent fashion (they have a short duration and are clearly intended just to help with a fight) provide no experience, and the increased difficulty of dealing with them should instead be factored into the XP of the creature summoning them to begin with. Creatures which are summoned on a more or less permanent basis or for a period greater than a day (say, a summoned invisible stalker told to go fuck someone up in the next town over and bring you their shit) would give XP if slain.

I'm just gonna go full Ship of Theseus on my 5e game.

An extra attack at level 5 would be a nice start. It would give you an actual reason to use your weapon instead of just eldritch blasting all day every day.

I have. Just about the only things still extant are proficiency and advantage/disadvantage.

>An extra attack at level 5 would be a nice start
It's called Thirsting Blade

>Invocation Tax
no thanks
make it part of the subclass like with valor bard

>Medium armour and shields for picking blade pact
Just no
It'd turn pact options into:

>Get some fun cantrip utilities and maybe even ritual casting!
>Get a fun little friend who helps you do things!
>Get +4 AC and hit things better in melee?
It just wouldn't fit, and it'd be stupid. People would take it even if they don't want to be good at melee.

I think what the man is getting at is that pact of the blade shouldn't have a feat tax necessary to really make use of the shit your pact gives you.

It should be given for free at level 5 to pact of the blade warlocks.

>requires you to spend an invocation to get something that should be standard to the archetype
wew

>But if your group is so fucking lazy you can't, say, submit a list of items you're interested in to the DM, which he can then add to items he thinks are interesting, and then only bother pricing that bunch of items, I can't fucking imagine any of you are pleasant to play with, considering this is a game based around putting effort into the roleplaying and shit.

We have about 4 hours per week to play D&D. You're suggesting that every time the players want to buy something, they submit that request to the DM, who will then deliberate and decide a price and return that price to the players, who will most likely reconsider and submit a different request. We've got 4 players, each of whom is looking for items they individually want, so the DM is doing this with 4 people separately.

This means that buying even basic magical items is a tedious back and forth process which cuts into time we *could* be spending roleplaying.

You can phrase it as "it's only a little work", but anyone who plays P&P roleplaying game should already know that every time you add "a little work", the game gets slower and shittier.

Pact options are nothing like the choice between lore and valor bard.

That choice gives you some of the most powerful features in the game with Magical Secrets and Cutting Words on the lore bard side.
So why should a minor utility choice do that, too?

At least hexblade was a bit more reasonable as it's a patron choice rather than a pact choice but hexblade still feels like an unbalanced design, probably the strongest warlock archetype even if you want to be an EBer.