See the entire dungeon layout at a glance

>See the entire dungeon layout at a glance

You'd have to be a saint not to meta-game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9AL-cb7tydk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>players have to sit in a different room
>can only see the dungeon using webcams attached to mini RC cars
Problem solved.

Couldn't you cover it with a black tarp or something, only revealing a bit at a time?

What I do is attach bucky balls to the edges of the tiles, and snap the sections on overtime as the players explore it. So if they open a door I simply pull the room that they would see out from under the table and attach it.

At least, that is what I would do if I didn't force my players to map everything themselves. It is more enjoyable that way, even if it doesn't look as cool.

I'd play that

>before entering the dungeon, we try to find a map of the dungeon in the city's libraries and map shops

Gives the GM a chance to make sainthood easy.

Traditionally, in refereed wargaming, there'd be 3 maps, and three sets of minis. One for the Blue player, one for the Red player, and one for the judge. The judge would have the full map, with both sides' actual unit deployments; the player maps would only have their own forces, and whatever enemies their forces could see.

Given a lot of space, and a fuckhueg miniature / terrain collection, you *could* do this for RPGs. But honestly, it's just cheaper to pretend to trust your players, and leave "muh fog of war" to vidya.

you can use a plaid or something you know

I just reveal the entire layout right away. The only things hidden are traps and secret areas. Enemies are also obviously not shown. This saves a bit of trouble for me and it hasn't really affected the way my players go about it.

I think it comes down to dungeon design. If you present your players with a map filled with obvious dead ends and suspicious rooms then of course they're going to meta game it. But if your dungeon is themed and built in a 'practical' way then you can hide things in plain sight. An example is an old prison. There are things everyone expects a prison to have: halls lined with cells, a mess hall, warden's office, etc. So you can turn these seemingly ordinary places into death traps that your players would have avoided otherwise by seeing the whole map.

this is actually excellent with any micro spy cam. The GM can just move it with his hands and it doesn't lose the effect. It'd be too hard to get a car small enough at this scale otherwise your pov is too high

>showcase the entire thing
>give them map which may or may not align 100% with the dungeon
>all objects, npcs, traps and enemies are hidden unless otherwise

Makes them double check the map when they find something odd, and it also allows for htem to roleplay.

just cover unseen parts of the map with a black sheet jesus christ it's not that hard

Just throw a sheet over the board nigga, like cover what they can't see with paper towels, it ain't hard.

>not covering the unexplored areas with a cloth/sheet
?

>Stuff cover with sheet

Your players will still know how much stuff there is and where it is.

Isn't this exactly how HeroQuest, DragonStrike, and similar board games work? You know the room layout but you don't know what's in each room.

Best solution:
youtube.com/watch?v=9AL-cb7tydk

The same applies if you're mapping.

>"Hey, there's a huge area here that's probably a hidden room, let's search for secret doors."

Putting all this stuff on the GM just makes it obvious.

>2017
>using a battle map
>using miniatures
>not using your imagination

Didn't 4e already demonstrably prove that turning an RPG into a glorified tactical miniatures game drains all the heart and soul out of it.

>The inn has hidden depth known only to the Rat King and his mutant brood

>The players know

>1980
>"PLAYING SURFACE: Combats are easy to keep track of when large sheets of graph paper, covered with plexiglass or transparent adhesive plastic (contact paper), are used to put the figures on. The best sheets for this use have 1" squares, and the scale of 1" = 5' should be used when moving the figures. With water-based markers or grease pencils, an entire room or battle can be drawn in just a few seconds. When the battle is over, the board may be wiped off, leaving it ready for the next combat. Dominoes or plastic building blocks can also be used to outline walls and corridors. When using figures, the DM should make sure that a solid table top is used, so the figures won't fall over when the table is bumped."

Or you could just cover the undiscovered parts with black construction paper like a normal person

Hence my point of it being 2017. The game evolved from a tactical war game it doesn't need to devolve back into one.

>2017
>using pen and paper
>rolling dice
>not just using your imagination
I mean come on people!

Sometimes when I'm happy playing or reading I remember that it makes no sense, and that I might be autistic for playing RPGs, and then I stop being happy and become depressed.

What? You don't do that?

attach pic related to any micro rc vehicle that has full 360 turning radious. Problem solved

>4e
You're thinking of 3rd ed. friendo.

>Not using the theater of the mind to play pretend.
Jesus motherfucking Christ, what are you, savages?

no, attach it to my model

Brilliant!

In a game of imagination, you can leave the dungeon and go somewhere else--no big deal.

In a game of miniatures, you cannot leave the dungeons--the DM spent 187 euro on the dungeon miniatures and spent 3 hours assembling them (to leave would spit on all of that)