So, now that the dust have settled, what's Veeky Forums's definite, decided consensus on guns in fantasy settings?

So, now that the dust have settled, what's Veeky Forums's definite, decided consensus on guns in fantasy settings?

And don't even start this "depends on the setting" crap, it doesn't depend on the setting and you know it.

It really does depend on the setting.

It depends on the style of game the DM is running. A DM is allowed to ban certain items from use for the sake of the atmosphere he's working to develop. Likewise certain PC races and spells.

>Well, in MY setting guns work on rainbow unicorn farts and shoot feelings at people! =^_____^=

Nobody cares. A gun is a gun, lead and gunpowder goes in, death comes out. Anything else and your setting loses any sense of credibility.

Unless you're willing to clarify or define your terms it genuinely does depend on the setting. There's a lot of different flavours of fantasy.

Are we doing the ridiculous thing?
>hey, welcome to my low-magic late antiquity campaign based on roman-occupied Germania
>here is your glock

If you can't grasp that *physics itself* is not consistent across fantasy settings, then you are hopelessly ignorant.

Most fantasy settings have magic, which allows for amongst other things the violations of thermodynamics. Since that is clearly more powerful than simply harnessing chemicals, there's no reason to believe anyone who is smart enough to create formulations wouldn't go for the better option.

If the periodic table itself isn't conserved, with elements like mithril and adamantium, then based on how far the alterations go neither black powder nor smokeless may be possible.

So, motherfucker, it depends on the setting.

That IS the consensus. Your rejection of that consensus is based on your own shortcomings, not that of the board.

>A gun is a gun, lead and gunpowder goes in
Yeah, in your setting

when you go full FF6 in your setting with magic-powered death lasers and magic robots, a few guns are not gonna feel out of place, you could even include magical clockwork hand cannons and people wont care

if you have a semi-realistic medieval or renaissance setting, then arquebuses were common place, but were not terribly useful except when fired en masse, so small groups of well trained adventurers could fight with both matchlock and sword at once although pike and shot would be decisive in open warfare
such guns were not useless, far from it, but they werent the end all, be all weapon and served as part of a much larger arsenal

however, you could easily remove guns from a pre-renaissance setting and people wont really notice, especially if you want to justify having classic castles in your setting

Most setting are not even medieval, they are full renaissance but without guns because people like full plate armor.

Wait, people actually argue that guns cant exist in fantasy?

High level characters already turn bows into railguns / machine guns.

In Amber guns didn't work until someone found something to replace gunpowder with.

So it fucking depends on the setting, you ignorant fuck. JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE YOU TRY AND GET YOUR STUPID 'DEFINITIVE' ANSWERS WITH.

Depending on system and setting, sure, they can. Which is not actually connected in any way with whether guns fit into fantasy or not, if anything it makes it less clear why anyone would use them when archery is so powerful compared to the real world.

If a setting has different physics, how would you expect players to know what's going on?

A certain set of assumptions is required for players to know what they can and what they can't do. And real world-like set of physics is absolutely one of these asumptions, simply because if ignorant GM changes something in them, that means the WHOLE interconnected physics system simply falls apart.

>it doesn't depend on the setting and you know it.
Actually it does.

If the techlevel fits why not. I just don't like guns that are too advanced. Up until 30 years war its fine.

Napoleonic fantasy can be fine but most of the time its not for me.

It just has to be believable, it doesn't have to be realistic. If there are implications that would make it all 'fall apart' they can be ignored and handwaved, and that is exactly what happens.

I really can't imagine you've ever played an actual game of tabletop roleplaying if you think that any slight violations of physics are unacceptable.

>It doesn't depend on the setting and you know it
Listen here you. If your players approach you with plans to make gunpowder and early firearms, with the possibility to upgrade to modern firearms as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh balance
>B-b-b-but mud medieval fantasy
>B-b-b-but mommy, loud noises make me scared

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, elf-loving fantasy, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle guns in fantasy settings, you shouldn't be a DM.

Depends purely wholly entirely and fully on setting, quit being an autistic shitposter and fuck off back to /pfg/.

Guns change a setting fairly significantly. Settings with guns co-exist alongside settings without guns because playing the same shitty generic elfshit all your life is the domain of children with low functioning autism.

You clearly have no clue what technological development works like.
The materials necessary to build flintlock rifles existed in the bronze age. That doesn't mean they should feature in every bronze age campaign.

> So, now that the dust have settled,
This has got to be the second most cancerous thing on Veeky Forums. Veeky Forums in general, really.

>there's always two...
>a master and an apprentice

so now that the dust have settled, what did he mean by this?

Don't worry, it was just a very fresh pasta from .
It was also my first shitpost, how did I do?

Excuse me comissar, but why did now that the dust has settled mean by this?

6/10
Tips: quote everyone, then break the paragraph. "Reddit spacing" really triggers some people.

>And real world-like set of physics is absolutely one of these asumptions, simply because if ignorant GM changes something in them, that means the WHOLE interconnected physics system simply falls apart.
No it doesn't. Because you've changed physics. The entire interconnected system could function entirely the same way because other principles of physics have also changed in subtle ways to ensure that's the case.

>what's Veeky Forums's definite, decided consensus on

why do people want this information?

I beg of you, please stop making this thread.

>go kill ur-hitler

Nice copypasta. Saw it in another thread about homos.

Gunpowder was discovered in 9th fucking century, user.

9th century looks like the Neolithic period compared to any common fantasy setting.

I saw it 4 times in the past hours.

It is now officially a meme, the only question is what do we call it.