Alright /teegee/, I've got a problem. I'm going to be playing in a Pathfinder game soon...

Alright /teegee/, I've got a problem. I'm going to be playing in a Pathfinder game soon, but I'm having a disagreement with my DM. Originally, I wanted to play a Gunslinger but my DM told me that the Gunslinger class was banned from her games. When he wouldn't explain why, I asked if I could play a Fighter who uses early firearms (flintlock pistols especially) and she refused that as well. At first, she claimed that there would be balance issues but I couldn't believe that. Early firearms weren't that powerful after all.

It took a bit of discussion but eventually the DM gave me the real answer. She claims that guns don't "belong" in a fantasy setting, and having them there would just create drama and arguments.

So, Veeky Forums, is she correct? Can you have guns in a fantasy setting without balance issues or problems with tone?

Depends. On. The. Setting.
Also,
>PF

I hope this is a single poster and not a new wave of autism.

It was funny for maybe 3 threads. Now you can fuck off.

>flintlock pistols
>early firearms

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No!

Handgonnes are early firearms. Fucking learn your history, you retarded anime posting Fagfinder!

>I hope this is a single poster and not a new wave of autism.
>It was funny for maybe 3 threads. Now you can fuck off.
What does your heart tell you

Don't be That Guy.

You are literally proving the DM right here when they say that it starts drama and arguments. They have the right to ban character options, and if you're even remotely intelligent you will take that as a sign that you should go for your second choice. If you don't have a second choice you are DEFINITELY the problem here.

If the DM doesn't want guns in the setting they don't exist. You are being That Guy. Now fuck off and make another character.

Koume thread?

>So, Veeky Forums, is she correct?

Yes because Rule 0. As for the setting, it depends on the setting. A lot of fantasy fiction, including most of the early foundational stuff, does not feature firearms.

Her setting, her rules. And she's also correct that it would only create arguments, let me provide an example:
>guns would either render melee weaponry useless, or would be so underpowered that guns themselves would be useless

Definitely, post more Koume.

I'd contribute to the thread, but I'm only here for Magic and the occasional yugioh threads.

Oh come on. This is like the 6th one of these "firearms in fantasy" threads in the last 3 fucking days. Try harder.

It's a boy, isn't it.

>It's a boy, isn't it.
Is this your first time seeing an "OP spams the same thread every day and keeps it bumped with traps" thread?

Blessed be you, and don't worry this contribution is already a godsend

Even if this is /toogay/, Koume is actually a girl

I'll post a bit more, but I'm really tired and should go to sleep soon.

>I've got a problem. I'm going to be playing in a Pathfinder game
Found your problem right on your post faggot

There are ways in many games' mechanics to make them balanced. Because guns aren't spells, however, they'll never be up to par in 3.P rules.

That said, if the GM wants a no-firearms setting you accept it. You wouldn't go into a humans only setting and beg to be a kitsune unless you were some kind of colossal That Guy. You similarly wouldn't go into a "tome of battle and psionics only" 3.5 game asking to be a wizard.

Don't make your thing you like look bad.

>Shirasaka Koume
Google says she's a girl. Also 13, you sick fuck.

Gun-casters are actually pretty great.

1 level dip into the Spellslinger archetype makes basically all of them viable by giving a massive boost to your save DCs.

Slut got pregnant in one of the doujins, and we all know doujins are canon for idol whores

I am okay with this

I just really like her character design and she has a lot of great fan art. I've never even played Idolmaster

If one of your players approach you with plans to play a Kitsune or a wizard, with the possibility to upgrade to a related prestige class as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh humans
>B-b-b-but mud psionics only
>B-b-b-but mommy, smart wizards make me feel stupid

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your special snowflake psion fantasy, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle kitsune wizards in a fantasy settings, you shouldn't be a DM.

They certainly CAN, but there are ways to get around this problem.

That is:
If guns 1) deal more damage than other types of ranged weapons, while not being sufficiently harder / more expensive to use, or
2) significantly outperform melee weapons

Then adding guns to the game will impact the setting.

I was thinking there was something weird about this trap. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Adding guns that are much much more powerful than medieaval weapons is fine. Obviously the way to balance it is just to say that making ammunition and maintaining your weapon, or getting better such things, is fucking rare, overpriced, and almost nobody knows how because its the medieaval fantasy age.

Ask her about the Bolt Ace archetype for gunslinger, it goes crossbow instead of guns, should fit. Also the better reason to not play with guns in PF is because they suck. They will absolutely start drama but not by being OP, this will kick in when you start to realize how terrible a mistake firearms are in the system.

At the same time. you have a much higher chance of surviving and recovering just fine from a gunshot wound than getting stabbed by a knife.

Is this a copypasta I've not seen before? It's delicious. I almost believed you for a second.

someone needs to stop playing tabletop and start playing moonrune mmos

Long hair Koume!

Or just make guns deal damage comparable to other weapons. It's not hard.

>b-but muh realism
You're playing D&D for fuck's sake.

>there is magic in the setting, therefore there cannot be any elements of realism
go away underage

>Also 13, you sick fuck.
Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed.

>It's a system where being hit by a sword full-force only gives you a booboo and bad vibes
>It's a system where laws of physics and common sense get violated by explicitly nonmagical things three times a day
>It's a setting where you can be so angry you forget to die
>It's a setting described as HEROIC FANTASY

It is fresh new pasta from a thread that is still up, go buy some while it is still fresh!

D&D isn't just a setting with magic in it. It's one where people can run onto molten lava, sit down, and have a reasonable expectation that they can stand up and run off in a few seconds.

>DM
>her

kek bait

also

>pathfinder

>It's a setting where you can be so angry you forget to die
I do that every day IRL.

Me too, user. Me too.

Found a picture of her while searching a booru, turned out to be perfect for the character I was making at the time.
I have no idea what the source material is even like but she just has a really neat design.
I've used her twice more for character art since.

Not bait. Women make objectively better DM/GMs. They have greater organizational skills and they have the empathy to better accommodate players. They tend to be fairer as well and less prone to magical realm shit.

Btw if this is a Koume thread, I wonder if a certain kouglof is around here

>high fantasy
>no laser swords
anyway it depends on opinions
in this case, what GM says goes

If this is bait, I compliment on it, it's a well-crafted double bait.

>women
>less prone to magical realm

Please don't tell such blatant lies user.

The rest of it's true, though.

Indeed, which makes it all the better.

Actually, women make for objectively worse GMs. They are afraid of consequences. They are prone to self insert / attention grab. They are preconditioned to assume that everyone will enjoy exactly the things they enjoy.

this is such bad bait i cant even bothered to browse my hard drive for an appropriate reaction image

Also they women make better GMs because they have boobs you can stare at while they talk.

That's just blatant misogyny, user. You've clearly never played with a female DM, and in fact I doubt that you've spoken with ANY real women - and no, 2D doesn't count.

I am female

>They are afraid of consequences. They are prone to self insert / attention grab. They are preconditioned to assume that everyone will enjoy exactly the things they enjoy.
Sounds like your average male GM, at which point I defer to .

3d doesnt count

Internalized misogyny is still misogyny.

stop with the misandry please

Why? Men are basically trash. We've been holding PnP gaming back for decades, and it's about time for that to change.

Please just go hatefuck on already.

And, it's happened.
Someone has turned into crystallized faggotry and is unable to do anything except shitpost non-answers.

In my experience, cordial DM/player relations are paramount to making the campaign enjoyable for the whole table.

Although you probably feel like your DM is being autistic with her setting, you're demonstrating the same amount of autism by forcing a gunslinging character concept to the table.

If she doesn't try to find a middle ground, your options are to switch ideas or leave the table. Your call pedofag

>ranged weapons would either render melee weaponry useless, or would be so underpowered that ranged weapons themselves would be useless
That's why I banned throwing spears, slings, bows, crossbows and fireball spells.

Murlynd.

End of discussion.

You did it. You managed to be a bigger faggot than OP. Good job.

Pathfinder has a fixed setting, Golarion, unless otherwise specified. Fire arm manufacture is a closely guarded secret of a single nation which produces a single digit number for sale a year. It's not unreasonable the GM disallowed them, at least from a worldbuilding perspective.

> At first, she claimed that there would be balance issues but I couldn't believe that. Early firearms weren't that powerful after all.

In pathfinder even early firearms can be very damn strong at the right level range. Namely about 3 to 6. If there is going to be slow level ups I can see were that would be a bit of a be cause for concern. Having said that archer fighters are way more powerful at that level range.

>She claims that guns don't "belong" in a fantasy setting

At root for that is a very long history of fantasy writers not using guns. Most of the fantasy novels that she has read likely do not use guns. It is not hard to see that more effective range weapons do change how things work a touch.

> and having them there would just create drama and arguments.

There we go, that is at the heart of the matter. A lot of people have a very bad idea of a what a type of gun can and can not do.

>problems with tone
>flintlock pistols especially

Part of the issue is that just how late of a weapon that is. They became a thing around 1570. Before 1620 they were very rare and almost unknown outside of France & the Netherlands . They became common in England, Spain, and in the new world around 1650. Basically three musketeers territory and on words. Could be made to fit a late Elizabethan period feeling maybe.

> Your DM will never have you face down RedCross and his might revolver Carnwennan.

Tell him that if no guns are allowed, then Full Plate needs to also be banned, since it was invented after firearms were and without it you may as well just force everyone to wear chainmail and a gambeson

Of course guns belong in a fantasy setting. Everything belongs in a fantasy setting. The question is: do guns belong in HER fantasy setting?

PF firearms are still weaker than composite longbows. Tone wise, depends on the DM wants for its custom setting.
Also, unless you can grab stuff from the Weapon Master's Handbook, play a Ranger instead. Fighters without enough width of material available are just trash.

Gunpowder was invented in the 9th century.
Cannons were invented in the 12th century, but didn't reach Europe until the 13th century.
Firearms weren't invented until the very end of the 15th century.

Medieval is 5th to 15th century.
This is why firearms feel out of place, but cannons don't.

Maybe draw fantasy elements to a (not necessarily the) logical conclusion? Pic related.

>neckbeards don't have boobs.

>Alright /teegee/, I've got a problem. I'm going to be playing in a Pathfinder game soon

Yes, you do.

As GM, she is by default correct on all matters pertaining to her setting and her game.

bait

>Toadslingers
will never be well received.