Are there any tabletop games that actually use a d4 or d8 as their primary means of resolving actions?

Are there any tabletop games that actually use a d4 or d8 as their primary means of resolving actions?

d20 is used by D&D, d10's are used in white wolf, d% are used in CoC and the Warhammer 40k RPG's, even d12's have seen some love.

Yet for the life of me, I cannot recall any systems that used just d4's or d8's for their mechanics. Can anyone out there prove me wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

docdroid.net/FrxCKOl/ruinations.pdf.html
1d4chan.org/images/0/07/Time_Wizards_outline.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

D12 got love where? It is the dice that I use the less. What system uses It more?
d4 are used aa lot for weak attacks. d8 are used less but nota as little as d12. Please tell me about a system that uses d12 a lot. I love my d12 but dont know where to use it

Ubiquity system uses a modified D8.

Wait r we talking the dice or the band?

Not OP, but I know of two.

The first is Modempunk, a rules-light amateur RPG about being anti-establishment punks during the birth of the home computer. It's pretty cool from what I remember.

The second is Tephra, a fantasy cogfop--I mean fantasy steampunk game. I picked up different play testing versions during various anime cons back in the day, but as each was radically different, I can't comment on to how the final product ran mechanically (or even if they kept the d12).

Time Wizards makes extensive use of d4s for their delicious sharp corners

Savage World's dice mechanics scale through the various die types, starting from a d4 and ending at a d12.

Came here to post this.

LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOO

Well if you count tabletop board/wargames (and not just RPGs) there's Deadzone by Mantic.
It uses d8s for everything...and then for whatever reason the other games in the same setting use d6s. Shame - the added granularity from a d8 is better, IMO.

There's not a ton of reason to use d4s and d8s, really. The probabilities they offer aren't much more useful than a d6, and if you're swapping off the ubiquitous d6, you would likely be better off with a more granular die like the d10 or d20, or even the d100. 10%, 5% and 1% chunks are cool (although arguably the 1% chunks are a tad excessive, but whatever).

I'm a fan of the d12 if only because it's fun to have a single die (that isn't a d100) that has 16%, 25%, 50%, 66%, and 75%. It all depends on how you use the dice, though.

Abandon All Hope uses a lot of D8s. In general, anything an 8 can do a 10 can do with easier math, and 4's are just not flexible enough.

If you include boardgames, Ur technically uses D4s.

Ruinations is a work-in-progress post-apocalyptic OSR based off LotFP. It has a d12 skill mechanic.

docdroid.net/FrxCKOl/ruinations.pdf.html

What would Veeky Forums think of a 1d12-based mechanic for a generic RPG with some stat + skill? How would you handle end behavior (i.e. what happens if you roll a 1 or a 12? auto success? Exploding dice?)

For things like skill checks, D&D has some issues. Straight up attribute checks (roll your attribute or under on a d20) put a very heavy emphasis on your stats, while d20 checks modified by your attributes put a very light emphasis on them (especially if you're using the old school scale, where an 18 gives you a +3 rather than a +4). I think using d12 checks modified by your attributes is a pretty good middle ground.

>Yet for the life of me, I cannot recall any systems that used just d4's or d8's for their mechanics. Can anyone out there prove me wrong?

1d4chan.org/images/0/07/Time_Wizards_outline.pdf
time wizards a best

They use d4 to d12, but in the Cortex Plus games d4s and d8s are your bread and butter.

X-wing uses D8s, although they arent standard

You've never run it.

D12 is the one and only shining dodecaedron in Pokéthulhu
I roll 2d8 in Earthdawn pretty often

I'm brewing a system with exploding d8s

dogs in the vineyard us them.

what is it that makes exploding dice so much fun?
Game design wise it often isn't that influential(yes it can be made very prevalent,but people often don't make it too important) and yet the mere presence of it makes the system more fun.

>d12
see The One Ring RPG

'sky is the limit' factor

Kromore uses d4s almost exclusively, and is a pretty nifty game with a setting that goes from high fantasy to space opera over the course of 10,000 years.