Rather than space marine space marines...

Rather than space marine space marines, wouldn't it be more accurate to call primaris space marines the SM equivalent to what imperial storm troopers are to the astra militarum?

They are trained in a completely separate place to normal initiates, and are not part of the chapter traditions just like how stormtroopers are all schola prognium graduates. Further more, rather than the often inherited wargear of most chapters, the primaris are equipped with entirely new equipment made for them specifically.

Hotshot lasgun=cawl bolter
Mars=schola prognium

TL;DR Primaris are to the SM what stormtroopers are to the IG

>astra militarum
urgh

My problem is we already had the Deathwatch, Grey knights, Veterans, Terminators, custodes etc. why do we need more varieties of superelite?

>not keeping up wtih the lingo
Sell your soul to the copyright demon lords, fampai

It's a way of having people who are outsiders to chapter culture come in, while also having them be able have a big effect, unlike initiates.

Elites are glamorous.

And easy to place in the game as new models and overpowered units. You know, you'll call me a old grognard, but I learned to play in 3rd edition as a wee 'un and back in that age the basic SM statline was very very good.

The only thing I wonder how sustainable the rule\model creep is: even with a AoS-like ruleset they can't keep hyping and overselling everything. There is a limit to, well, lore-rape for the sake of (non-existent) balance: what happens when Primaris themselves (like Grey Knights or Custodes) need to have a "newer, better, stronger"?

They really should have just produced new marine models and called them the same old marines.

I beleive they had to make them different so that people would buy them for reasons other than looks. I'm hoping that when they've sold enough primetime marines they can phase out the old sculpts and go back to calling them normal marines. I'm also hoping that they're making primarchs for copyright reasons and then forgetting about them again. This means we may see a model for the Emporer though.

>astra militarum
>schola prognium
GW was a mistake.

We already have a VIP club for Marines who get a cool clubhouse college and flashy gear. They're called Techmarines

And the Deathwatch.

>complaining about schola progenium
you're like thirty years late for that, mate

as a fag who's first language comes from latin i appreciate those

Sure, "Imperial Guard" was generic as fuck so they changed it to Military of the Stars for copyright, but what's wrong with the school for the (imperial) progeny? They're children of Imperial commanders, heroes and martyrs.
WTF did you want, Jr Guard school? Those are the Whiteshields
Unless you want the Aegis Alba :^)
Also, Storm Troopers - Tempestus Scions - Children of the Storm.
It's still cool unless you're the fag saying space animals like Space Sharks sound better than Carcharodons Astra.

>the Aegis Alba
That actually sounds good

A better idea would have been to just not make new space marines that are out of scale wit the rest of the game to appear to the smegmarine crowd.

Primaris space marines are simply what GW would like to design all space marines to look like, but unfortunately there is too many kits in production and people would be too butt hurt so they had to create them. Shame too, because they have infinitely better proportions and a much better level of detail whilst still remaining the space marine aesthetic.

No, they're Space Marine Nobz

Just call them ultra mar... damnit.

Spaghetti fag here, I studied Latin in high school and it triggers me incredibly.
If you wanted to say ''Space Army'' or something like that it should have been ''Militia Astrorum'' (Army of the stars). Astra militarum literally means ''Star of the armies''.
The guys at GW don't really know Latin, I remember when they called a titan ''Dominatus'' (which means ''Dominated'') instead of ''Dominus'' (which basically means ''Lord'' or ''God''.

Yeah I know that High Gotic isn't Latin or whatever, but still, I'm triggered.

I'm pretty sure at this point they do it on purpose.
If it's mangled Latin they can more easily trademark it than if it's strict Latin
And someone there probably thinks it's HILARIOUS when people get mad about it

Yeah, it may be. This new mania of trademarking everything also doesn't make sense to me (as a lot of their business choices later). Oh well

>I beleive they had to make them different so that people would buy them for reasons other than looks

They should have just attributed the different rules to their new gear. +1W for wearing Primaris X, +1T +1W for wearing X Gravis, longer range and AP for bolt rifles, longer range for using hellblaster incinerators.

No need to have a completely new marine type inside the suit. Take a regular existing faggot, swap his gear out, he becomes a Primaris.

Now you have both looks sales AND rules sales.

Even if GW wanted to phase out old shit, you can just say the old gear got destroyed because of all the fighting and they're only producing Mk X shit.

>Space Marines become Astra Marinara
Fund it

>schola prognium

You... do realize that's been a thing for eons, right? You might as well bitch about Adeptus Astartes.

It sounds like the name of Idris Elba's son.

In my opinion, the best thing about Primaris Marines is that they are less goofy-looking than the original marines and, -finally-, I can take 40k seriously.

You aren't wrong about that part, but he can certainly bitch about "Aeldari" and whatever the hell gobbly gook they're calling Dark Eldar now.

I need this.

'Star of the armies''
so it would be the greatest of armies? As in, of all the armies, this one is the star.

>BBEG

Cource, that's why they exist out of universe.
I am just talking about their in universe narrative role

No more like a star as the celestial body.

Big E comes back and creates the UltraPrimaris Marines, created in secret for 20000 years

So the one that Schindelgeist marches around.

Yes, yes. Let's call them... Adeptus Phocidae 6.

It's only the first run. Primaris Marines will eventually be able to be created on a Chapter's home planet, and the Primaris Marines will be as immersed in a Chapter's lore and history as current ones are.