/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-april-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/memorial-day-nonnotes-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What excites you the most for 5e?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

pasted.co/cf353545
tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/white-wolf-teases-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-details
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where to?

Nothing.

I need to talk to Strauss

>What excites you the most for 5e

The possibility it will tank so hard that it will break WW and the IP might, just might, go to a better company.

Wolfs somehow going even more full retard. Hunters getting shit done. Apparently fewer super elders manipulating everything. That's pretty much it.

I aM oUt Of HeRe.

>What excites you the most for 5e?
I hold out a very very very small hope that I might get a playable OWoD mage LARP book. But they'll probably fuck it up. By night studios likes things too flat and vampire-y for me to have faith they'll make something good, and nuWW seems to be going down the same path.

>1. Wtf sheriff was

The Sheriff is BELIEVED to be a Nagloper, an African offshoot of the Tzimisce. This theory is supported by how LaCroix picked up the Sheriff in Africa, and by the fact that he possesses level six Vicissitude (Tzimisce/Nagloper discipline) that lets the vampire turn into a gigantic, monstrous bat.

>2. Kuej jin seem kinda racist towards normal vampires. Are they more powerful or is it just bravado?

See, Kuei-Jin aren't actually *vampires*, they're a different form of undead. Basically, they're wicked, tortured souls that escaped from Hell and clawed their way back into the living world.

When they re-enter the living world, most are little more than animals that need to consume life energy (or Chi) to survive. Chi can be found in many places, but is easily extracted from the flesh and blood of humans. So, "newborn" Kuei-Jin are basically frenzying cannibals that have to avoid the sun unless they want to rot away.

A Kuei-Jin can rise above the "mindless cannibal" stage through exemplary willpower or by being taught through pain, discipline and imprisonment at the hands of another Kuei-Jin. After a few years of this, the Kuei-Jin usually regain their minds.

Kuei-Jin do not follow "humanity", but instead follow philosophical paths (usually the ones practiced by the ones that freed them from mindless savagery). As they go down these paths, their power and "Dharma" increases, and they find new ways to extract chi (through the breath of people, the environment, etc).

They hate vampires because a lot of older Kuei-Jin blame the Western World for "corrupting" Asia... plus, they regard vampires as ugly parasites (hypocritical, I know) that bumble through unlife without purpose.

Kuei-Jin are more powerful in that every Kuei-Jin could potentially gain the power of Methuselah-level vampires, but realistically only one in about ten thousand Kuei-Jin ever reach that stage. Plus, vampires can reproduce like rabbits to outnumber them.

Not him, but why would a vampire like that obey LaCroix? Blood bond?

I was kinda surprised that the Nagloper never showed up in V20.

Thanks for explaining mate.

One more thing that puzzled me. Nosferatu primogen and Anarch Baron of Hollywood are former movie actor/producer. Nines was embraced around great depression. LaCroix dates back to Napoleon. I understand LaCroix is thrown to the woofs by Camarilla but what about resto of those guys being this young for their positions. Is this normal for VtM?

More likely a Boon, because Blood Bond can still be broken, more so by somebody with Fleshcraft.
Another interesting theory is that Sheriff was actually one with the power and LaCroix was just a puppet Prince.

It could be a debt of honor. Or maybe simply friendship. I'm certain LaCroix can make friends when he needs to.
The thing is Nines, Isaac and Gary are practically Methuselahs by LA standards, especially after the Kuei-jin/wolves/Sabbat wiped away the rest.

Anarchs are short-lived, both as individuals and as the movement. So yeah, one can raise to power in their ranks literally over couple years.

Ok than how do Anarchs survive as a movement? They don't seem to have much appeal to elders, they are lcoked between camarilla and sabbat and there are kueji jin creeping from under the floor. Do anarchs have stronger presence in other parts of the world? Do they have dirty laundry of everyone else?

Love.

The Anarchs actually have a few elders like Smiling Jack or Jeremy Mac Neil, but their power lies in the old quote that you can't kill an idea. Younger vampires will eventually get fed up with the elders and will try to stage a revolt, so the movement can never truly die, especially in today's society were neo-feudalism and religious extremism aren't well seen. They've been around longer than the Camarilla and the Sabbat after all.
The Anarchs don't claim much territory beyond the Free State, but they have plenty of supporters and admirers among both the Camarilla and the Sabbat, which means direct action against them could cause unrest. The Free State isn't full of slouches, and managed to repel the super elite Black Hand and not to collapse on its own, which brought them plenty of recruits and deserters from the other sects.

>Ok than how do Anarchs survive as a movement?

Poorly.

But that's only for the past editions of the game.

Apparently, in V5, Anarchs are now going to be the majority, while Camarilla gets turned into a super secret exclusive club that only a few get into, while everyone on the streets is Anarch, and for whom only the 1st tradition applies: upholding the Masquerade.

Not sure how this will exactly work, given that it seems like you'll be able to Embrace anyone you like, without anyone's permission. Will they introduce some new mechanic, like Requiem had it, where you spent one point of your stats (I forget which) to turn someone into a vampire?

They keep getting newcomers. If Kindred gets fed up with Camarilla but doesn't quite want to join Sabbat, they go Anarch. Ditto for the other way around. And there's plenty of those getting in modern nights, as Camarilla loses its firm grip and Sabbat get too freaky for their own good.

Feedback requested on my preliminary ideas for a Stand User Micro Template:

pasted.co/cf353545

>Ok than how do Anarchs survive as a movement?

In general, Anarchs survive through sheer willpower, a wild myriad of diverse tactics and competent fighting ability, and the fact that most Anarchs are just overlooked unless they're in violent revolt against the Camarilla... Aside from that, the Anarchs KNOW they are the new kids on the block, and so they leverage their modern knowledge to great benefit, knowledge that a lot of the older vamps in the Camarilla and the Sabbat simply doesn't understand.

Plus, Anarchs are willing to fight and die for what they believe in, whereas most Camarilla vamps aren't that devoted to their Sect's ideals except on paper.

>They don't seem to have much appeal to elders

This is true; very few elders become involved with the Anarch Movement, but the ones that do tend to be hardcore fanatics of the Anarch cause and real powerhouses (they have to be, in order to survive).

>Do anarchs have stronger presence in other parts of the world?

The Free States are (San Diego and Los Angeles) the real Anarch powerhouses in terms of Anarch population, but there's also a lot of Anarchs located in Scandinavia (where a Finnish Methuselah recently awakened and allied with the local Anarchs and is actively fighting against the Camarilla), Liverpool and Manchester, Boston, Wisconsin, Venezuela, Mombasa and Perth.

In addition, there are often gangs (small or big) of Anarchs in nearly every Camarilla City. Again, as long as Anarchs aren't in violent revolt against the Camarilla, they're just treated as regular Camarilla citizens.

>Do they have dirty laundry of everyone else?

No, but they have agents in damn near every other sect that are actively recruiting more to their cause, and during 2007-2008 some Anarch hackers caused the Financial Crisis and basically blackmailed Camarilla Elders into giving Anarchs more leeway by holding all their "old money" hostage.

Anarchs are the ignored child while Mommy Camarilla and Daddy Sabbat argues. LA is one of the few places on the entire planet where they're actually a major faction.

>vampire elders
>holding their money in banks

I mean, if you're an immortal, you pretty much have seen over the centuries how institutions like those can go belly up. They wouldn't store the majority of their material wealth there.

Thanks everyone for answers. I'm requiemfag and bloodlines(i got it last week) were my first contact with vtm since late 90s/early 2000s.

>where you spent one point of your stats (I forget which)
As of second edition you have to burn dot of humanity to embrace someone

Virtue: Implacable
Vice: Sanctimonious
Aspiration: Purify The World

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 6, Resolve 8
Physical Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 4, Stamina 8
Social Attributes: Presence 5, Manipulation 4, Composure 8

Skills: Academics 1, Medicine 1, Occult 3, Investigation 5, Athletics (Running) 4, Brawl 3, Survival 2, Weaponry (Baseball Bat) 5, Expression (Zealot) 2, Intimidation (Single-Minded) 5, Persuasion 4, Subterfuge (Hide Motivations) 5

Merits: Area Of Expertise 1 (Single-Minded), Direction Sense 1, Interdisciplinary Specialty 1 (Single-Minded), Trained Observer 3, Greyhound 1, Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 4, Closed Book 4, Iron Will 2, Table Turner 1, Armed Defense 5, Defensive Combat 1 (Weaponry), Light Weapons 4, Killer Instinct 3 (Advanced 2)

Health: 13 (Size 5)
Willpower: 24
Defense: 9
Initiative: 12
Speed: 30 (Species Factor 21)
Potency: 8

Dread Powers: Immortal, Gatecrash* (Anything Needed), Know Soul, Natural Weapon 1 (Baseball Bat), Nothing But The Mission*, Numen (Aggressive Meme, Blast, Legion*, Seek, Speed), Purification*, Reality Stutter, Regenerate 3, Surprise Entrance

[Continued In The Next Post]

And what stat did they use in 1e?

Go play Redemption now.

I can't wait for Mages to be nerfed up the butt

*Gatecrash: A Horror with this Dread Power can open a gateway to other planes of existence (such as the Hedge, Primordial Dream, Shadow, Underworld or Astral Realms). The Horror spends a point of Willpower and makes an appropriate dice pool roll; if successful a gateway into the destination realm opens. The creature can hold the gate open for a number of turns equal to its Potency. Gatecrash can only open a gate to a specific realm, but may be selected multiple times, each time applying to specific Realm.

*Nothing But The Mission: The Batter is to be treated as if he was a God-Machine Angel for the purposes of his Aspiration. In other words, any supernatural means of making him abandon it automatically fail, and he is immune to Tilts that would make it impossible for him to act (such as Insensate and Beaten Down). He is also treated as having Eidetic Memory, Natural Aptitude, Total Control, Liar’s Tongue and Spoofing (use Composure + Subterfuge).

*Purification: The Batter has Influence 5 (Purity). The effects of this Influence are up to the ST. However, the following effects are free: he can see and interact with all frequencies of Twilight, his attacks cause supernatural damage, and when he Purifies a place, there can be no Anchor, Infrastructure, Resonant or equivalent Conditions there (but may cause the Open Condition for certain Abyssals).

Ban: The Batter must have the approval of a higher entity, force or group to progress with purification. Higher in this case does not necessarily mean supernatural or more ethical.

Ban: The Batter cannot use his Influence on a place without first killing the most important creature representative of that place. If he does so, then the purification occurs without him either taking an action or spending any Willpower.

Ban: The Batter cannot compromise or deal with problems indirectly; if the Batter gets into a fight, he must Go For Blood.

>Mages
>nerfed

No they won't
Unless Swedish Dracula also hates mages

A permanent dot of willpower, which you could repurchase with exp.

I bet Elricsson is in the "vampires must be best" group

I can just picture him throwing Mage books into a fire

>but there's also a lot of Anarchs located in Scandinavia (where a Finnish Methuselah recently awakened and allied with the local Anarchs and is actively fighting against the Camarilla)

Source for this? Sounds really interesting.

Willpower Dot if I remember correct. You could use willpower point but that created humanity 0 larvae that was more vampire-zombie and could not be uplifted

Redemption was kind off fun back in a day but did not age well imho

I think it's from the Anarchs Unbound.

>it seems like you'll be able to Embrace anyone you like, without anyone's permission

Not necessarily; sure, the California Anarchs have a semi-codified code of conduct, but that's a loose code, and it existed BEFORE the second inquisition. No reason to believe some cities don't have siring regulations.

Mages won't be able to play alongside the others if they stay the way they are

>I mean, if you're an immortal, you pretty much have seen over the centuries how institutions like those can go belly up. They wouldn't store the majority of their material wealth there.

Actually, a lot of them did (or more likely, the ones in charge of the Elder's finances did). It's talked about in "Anarchs Unbound".

A group of Anarchs (The Red Question) manipulated Camarilla Princes to crack down heavily on Anarch communities for minor slights, and then the Red Question made the Financial Crisis happen: The Elders had basically zero idea how the fuck they managed to do it, and to them it looked like magic. The Red Question flipped a switch, threw down the glove and said "come at me bro" and suddenly their resources started to RAPIDLY outright disappear or get invested into useless ventures and so on.

It spooked the Camarilla Elders so much they basically went "Fuck this, let the Anarchs do what they want, let them ridicule us as much as they want, IT'S NOT WORTH MY FUCKING MONEY!", and then they began investing time, effort and resources into making sure it could never happen again.

>Source for this? Sounds really interesting.

Anarchs Unbound.

>Not sure how this will exactly work, given that it seems like you'll be able to Embrace anyone you like, without anyone's permission.

Too many vampires will lead to self-purging. Anarchs are pretty big on the whole "This is my turf, step on my turf and your ass is grass".

There's only so much space to go around, and vampires like carving out big territories for themselves.

They aren't supposed to be able to! The gamelines in nWoD are supposed to have compatible rules so that the ST can use them as ANTAGONISTS or npcs if he wants, not so you can play Classic Horror Superfriends.

That's nWoD, not 5e. If there's going to be a balancing act, mages will get the hammer.

>If there's going to be a balancing act, mages will get the hammer.

Probably not. It's mandatory for mages to be strong fuckers.
The gamelines also weren't designed for crossover.

>Trusting swedracula
You're def not going with the odds on this one. He'll probably fuck up mage worse than the ol' goat fucker did, unless we somehow get a miracle like Greg Stolze working on it.

Don't worry. 5e will probably turn out worse than the 20th Anniversary editions.

Nobody will bother.

The Anarchs also have Tremere hackers with mastery over technomany.

>5e is gonna be unsalvageable trash

Why do we believe this again?

Not him but, i would say the artwork and overall style they are going for is a bad sign. Also, the weird elysium mechanics they talked about.

What Elysium mechanics? The "street wear/Elysium wear" dichotomy? I know I, at least, was doing that in my games the whole time - the elders want to feel comfortable, and they can't do that anywhere but Elysium.

But do we need a mechanic for that? Also, not all vampires are crazy about wearing clothes from the renaissance-victorian-whatevertimehewasembraced.

Ok cunts, why are you not running an anarch game?

All they mentioned was that the dichotomy existed - and, while not necessary, I'd say it helps to reinforce an "us versus them" feeling with regards to mortals and helps to flesh out characters just a little more. All in all, I think it's a really minor thing to complain about, akin to declaring a line dead because their character sheets have a section along the top for eye color.

I need creepy monster sounds. Preferably muffled as if heard over a great distance or separated by a barrier. Where should I look?

Feedback requested on my preliminary ideas for a Stand User Micro Template

Because I respect law, order, and good government too much

So you hate the Camarilla too?

Sabat Pack pretending to be camerilla is the most fun way to play the game.

I wish I could've done worse to this cunt

Fuck you dude, he was just trying to get by.

>Ok cunts, why are you not running an anarch game?

I actually AM running an Anarchs game.

So HA!

Now he's all over the place

Fuck yes! How is it going? Tell me everything.

So am I the only one who feels like the V20 stuff's writing quality is noticeably inferior compared to revised?

We should've been allowed to bloodboil kiki

What would happen if you placed Requiem!Dracula, Castlevania!Dracula and Hellsing!Dracula into the same story for shits and giggles?

Hellsing Dracula is essentially an Antediluvian. Would eat the other two.

Then an Archmage comes along and buttfucks him.

I dunno man, Castlevania Dracula might be an Incarnate Beast who happens to be Vampire-like (the Castle is his Lair). Incarnate Beasts can pull off allsorts of ST fiat level stuff.

Requiem Dracula founded the Ordo Dracul, so he might have discovered powers that make him equal to the Hellsing and Castlevania versions.

You're an idiot.

>Incarnate Beasts can pull off allsorts of ST fiat level stuff.
Not really

>Requiem Dracula founded the Ordo Dracul, so he might have discovered powers that make him equal to the Hellsing and Castlevania versions
I suggest you actually take a thorough look at what Hellsing is capable of.

It's ok friend, we can play however we wish. I just think it would be cool to have these three elder monsters who are so similar yet so different fighting (or maybe becoming fiendish friends).

It may be idiotic, but it's fun for me.

Because I'm not a community college student.

>Not really
Let me quote the Beast book.

>Bodhisattva: The Beast Incarnate knows Atavisms and Nightmares that no normal Beast could ever achieve. It can “deactivate” a Hero, or perhaps grant a Rampant or Unfettered Beast a new lease on life. The rules don’t apply to the Incarnate; they make their own rules. If the characters need to accomplish something that is impossible for other Beasts, perhaps they can track down one of these monsters?

From Page 244.

>I suggest you actually take a thorough look at what Hellsing is capable of.

I'll give you that. But I can determine his power level however I want. ST fiat and all.

So Incarnate Beasts are essentially a lesser / dumbed down version of the True Fae

What the hell is this bullshit I hear about a 5th Edition VtM coming out next year with a "You are what you eat" mechanic!?

Not really. They are more like legendary monsters who are masters of their own stories, agelessness, immense power and free access to most of the other realms of the setting.

TELL ME MORE

tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/white-wolf-teases-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-details

That's essentially what a True Fae is

The difference is that True Fae are inherently solipsistic and distant. The Incarnates are right here, and their Life (human side) and Legend (monster side) get combined into a Myth, so you it is still possible to interact with them in ways you just can't with the True Fae.

The True Fae are also meant to be antagonists, while Incarnates can be allies and even Broodmates if you play your cards right.

I was thinking about MtAs 1e lore with the Progenitors spreading autism via vaccines and I realized that in that version of the setting every government conspiracy is true. Jet fuel CAN'T melt steel beams but some cyborgs with NWO supervision can. The leevees in New Orleans WERE bombed by NWO agents pretending to be Army engineers, all because the Syndicate wanted to try restructuring New Orleans. The FEMA death camps DO exist, they just haven't been implemented yet. In the 2016 elections Clinton was backed by the NWO while Trump was backed by the Syndicate.

Really ascends my almonds.

Its to justify why assbandits look stupid in larps.

You eat some hobo and gain +1 survival or +1 fortitude, or eat some speed addict and gain a point of celerity, its aids.

>thinking 5e will break WW

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

>Progenitors spreading autism via vaccines
You know, I've seen this claim all over the net, but no one ever cites a page.

They're a Lineage of the Laibon; they'd have to show up in KoEK20 which is never happening.

Because Anarchs are awful.

>uses picture of a Mage, a Werewolf and a Vampire from NWoD as caitiffs.

Si I'm running NMage and wondering if it would be appropriate for Seers to cut deals with True Fae. Human Trafficking deals.

There was a line in an early interview that a potential idea for Disciplines was 'you are what you eat,' and that you needed to feed from humans that exemplified aspects of the Discipline to use it. This got way changed to 'if you feed from people, you may get a certain bonus' in the playtest. Like, in the playtest, a guy ate from a homeless man and got a one-time +1 to a Stealth roll. It's not even past the pre-alpah development stage and might STILL get removed.

Or Changeling Bounty Hunting.

>might STILL get removed.
I sure hope so.

Hell yes.
Sleepers are worthless scum only fit to be dominated.
Trading a few of them for mystical favours?
Done deal.

Even if not, ifi t remains 'get a +1 or a temporary discipline dot' it's easy to ignone.

To answer OP, I'm excited about the Hunger system (it looks really nice as a way to play up the Beast a bit more) and the streamlining of combat (YAY NO MORE FOUR ROLLS!)

Ok, Good.

I'm looking for concepts for "Seers so vile that they make Scelesti believe they're doing the right thing" and while Human Trafficking is kind of low hanging fruit, I'm sure the Seers make extensive use of it.

It works a lot better that way.

I am, of course, open to other suggestions.

>Best clan in the camarilla
>Antitribu is the only good part of the Sabbat
>Not anarch scum
Why are the Ventrue allowed to be so great

Because they're the Clan that won when the times changed and tech advanced.

The nature of the Masquerade makes the Ventrue the strongest members and stifles the other clans from their potential excepting maybe the Nosferatu.