How bad would the united states react to a military defeat? Expected was a clear victory for the united states...

How bad would the united states react to a military defeat? Expected was a clear victory for the united states, but it ended in a disaster.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU&t=2s
youtube.com/watch?v=6au6Yj8KF9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If Vietnam is any example we'd just deny we ever lost and then make a million movies about it.

you kind of did movies about the wars you won too though.

Well, if Kasserine is any indication, doubling down on expenditure and a massive military reorganization is the most likely outcome.

Admit that it was a tie

We kind of make movies about everything now.

For Vietnam soldiers will tell you that the military never lost, it was the American civilians who lost.

Yeah one of my instructors was an artillery colonel, who is still convinced, they were only a few days from victory and we denied them their due.

Vietnam nah.

Now KOREA...

Why are you posting a picture of a shattered German tank anyway?

many of the tanks in america were in fact descended from german immigrant tanks

Not Veeky Forums related?
At least ask that in /hwg/

You joking?

We had complete advantage in Korea. Hell, the Korean war technically never ended

Yeah America sure is a loser. This is why it's much better and higher QOL to live in Vietnam or Korea today!

Right the Koreans weren't the issue, the Chinese were.

All China could do was continually pump soldiers into the war. Eventually even they would have run out of

Is that because you accepted the fact average citizen will never voluntarily read a book or just because it's a good business?

fucking arty
>just keep sending the boys in, we'll keep watch back here

more people read now than in any point in history prior

We never lost an engagement, forced them out of the South, and then the North, pushed them into signing a peace treaty, (here's the important part) LEFT THE COUNTRY, and then two years later the NVA broke the treaty and attacked the South.

The US shouldn't have been there in the first place, but the meme that we lost is literally fake news and historical revisionism. We were victorious in all of our goals, tactical and strategic, and seeing as how Vietnam currently isn't communist and is loaded up with starbucks and mcdonalds, I'd say we won the ideological war as well, for better or worse.

>forced them out of the South
This part is wrong.
> and then the North
This part is so wrong that I have no idea what you're smoking.

> We were victorious in all of our goals, tactical and strategic
Well, except for that one about propping up South Vietnam into a self-sufficient, friendly state. That one was kind of a bust.

> and seeing as how Vietnam currently isn't communist and is loaded up with starbucks and mcdonalds, I'd say we won the ideological war as well, for better or worse.
That's like saying that France won the Franco-Prussian war because Alsace-Lorraine is part of their country now.

is this nigga even serious?

Yeah, if you're counting post on social media...

The NVA, not the Vietcong.

South Vietnam was doing alright until they were attacked again, at which point congress refused to let us go help them.

The Franco-Prussian war was a war over territory, not ideology. We wanted to stop the USSR and PRC from spreading into SE Asia. We succeeded.

Complete advantage

Remember the time we almost lost the entire eight army in korea
Yeah, good times wasnt it ?

hurf durf kids these days with their socials medjia hurf durf

also
>...

What the actual fuck

Still doesn't address that we forced them into a treaty and they only attacked the south years after we pulled out.

>propping up into a self-sufficient, friendly state
that hasn't happened anywhere 'murrica intervened since the end of WW2

This. The US government still refuses to call it a war, instead calling it a police action, and doing all they can to sweep it under the rug.

Point of order, only reason we got involved in Vietnam OR Korea is at the behest of our NATO allies. This is why they were 'Police Actions', we were doing our duty as called upon us by our alliances and agreements.

>How bad would the united states react to a military defeat?
Salt markets would suffer price drops for years to come

Well there was the move into Laos and Cambodia when US forces discovered massive NVA/VC camps just over the border and they progressed further into those countries before being ordered to retreat

>The NVA, not the Vietcong.
So? Nobody specified previously any distinction? North Vietnamese forces were operating in South Vietnam when the Paris Peace Accords were signed.

>South Vietnam was doing alright until they were attacked again, at which point congress refused to let us go help them.
Well, other than the fact that the NVA was operating in their territory and they couldn't drive them out, or the fact that the Pentagon understood that U.S. withdrawal of ground forces was essentially throwing the South Vietnamese under the buss.

>The Franco-Prussian war was a war over territory, not ideology.
So? France has the territory now. Clearly they won the war, since they have the territory. Look at the map. Saying otherwise is just historical revisionism

> We wanted to stop the USSR and PRC from spreading into SE Asia. We succeeded.
No, the U.S. wanted to stop communism from spreading, which failed. Ever hear of the Khmer Rouge? The Soviets and Chinese weren't interested in extending direct control over SEA.

Ah, I wasn't going to argue with the man, he was a history professor, he'd run circles around me. Further he was there. I don't necessarily think he was correct, but I sure as hell can't argue the point with him.

>Not Veeky Forums related?
OP is clearly asking for a game he plans on running.

This much is true. I mean, what would NATO nations be without the States?

Warsaw Pact, that's what.

>what would NATO nations be without the States?
At the rate things are going? We may find out real soon.

>this is what burgers actually believe

>The US government still refuses to call it a war,
Probably because neither the US President nor Congress ever declared a state of war against North Vietnam. The last time one of the two did so was in World War 2.

As such, all actions since have been officially categorized as either military actions, military engagements, and/or policing actions since an official declaration of war was never given.

That being said, the US constitution doesn't really define what constitutes a "declaration of war" in terms of legislation so Congress generally skips over the term when it goes about handling military affairs nowadays. It's wierd, I know, but that's how the US government does these things.

Without American funding the USSR wouldn't have been in a position to do that in the first place.

They were attacking the South continuously. Neither north nor south paid much attention to the ceasefire provisions.

South Korea, Grenada, Kuwait.

israel

This isn't Veeky Forums related.

Because people who want desperately to believe America has never lost a war will point out America never lost an important battle in Vietnam militarily. Unfortunately for them, war in real life isn't team deathmatch, America could have wiped North Vietnam off the map if it wanted to, but that wasn't its goal.
The goal was to protect South Vietnam, South Vietnam fell. Goal failed = America lost. K/D ratio only matters to e-peens in video games.

I love to jerk off the American military as much as the next Amerifat, but I still don't understand why people find that concept so hard to understand.

Not him, but I really do think that there's an undercurrent of American exceptionalism in there. A lot of Americans really do believe that America is a special country, to uphold ideals that we all should find Good with a capital G, and blessed either by God or by history to pave the way to greater freedom, wealth, security, and happiness. Obviously, a force of Good in the world like that can't just lose, right? So if something bad does happen to the U.S., they have to rationalize it away.

>he actually thinks North Korea has better living standards than a first world country

Even dumber than a burger

>America
>first world country
You can't be this stupid.

OP the US lost most of their bigger wars after WW2, or did at least not achieve their set goals:

The US only got a draw in Korea.
The US lost Vietnam.
Afghanistan is a loss, too.
Iraq is an odd case. On one side the illigal invasion went forseably easy. But installing a stable marionette democracy failed. Hard.

What a pretty comon theme is murrica uppon being on the losing side tries to kill as many civilians possible. Now those campaigns of terror bombings are mostly done via drone.

On the homefront it's mostly masturbating their nationalism and pretending the be the good guys. Having by far the biggest propaganda machine in the world really helps with this.

Vietnam and Iraq/Afghanistan were military victories and political defeats, so NBD.
WW2 in the Pacific started as a military defeat at Pearl Harbor; and arguably the 'war on terror' started the same way.

With a clearly military defeat instead of one that can be rationalized away by political excuses, expect WW2: Nuclear Boogaloo.

Spending most of the budget for military, secret police and propaganda does that to a nation.

Americans spend barely a quarter of the budget on military/spy stuff. About 2/3 is entitlements.

Depends on the setting,
Is America conquered or did we just lose.
If we just lost, we either cover it up or move the goalpost and make it a Pyrrhic victory or go full work and go back for another go.

>Pearl Harbor
>9/11

So America reacts to defeats with zealotry and hatred?

>9/11
>a military defeat
u wot m8?

We wouldn't, we would just throw more money at it. Probably shift "focus" turn the forever war into an endless bombing campaign.

>seeing as how Vietnam currently isn't communist
>Vietnam
>isn't communist
user...

>and seeing as how Vietnam currently isn't communist and is loaded up with starbucks and mcdonalds
Modern day China is communist only in name and loaded up with Starbucks and McDonald's, so in the end it was all for nothing.

Eat a bag of raw dicks

This.

Expect a serious shuffling of order in Washington as well. Secretary of Defense and relevant joint chiefs forced to resign. Investigative committee formed to find out what went wrong (More accurately, to find a scapegoat), along with the party in the white house getting rekt in the next election.

Yeah, but we're spending 6 trillion dollars a year on secret police. I read it on Prisonplanet

I think they would start researching weapons against alien space bats.

>he doesn't even know the definition of x-world country

Don't know why you dumb niggers always hoot about your superior education system when you're this stupid.

>Drink
>Beverage
This is how stupid you sound. First World refers to America and its allies, Second world refers to the (former) Soviet Union and its allies, Third World refers to nations not aligned with either. America is THE first world nation because it's defined as such.

Our days of being an industrial powerhouse are done, we're an entertainment nexus now.

I give up.
How the fuck do you make a joke on this fucking site if implying it not only in the post but on the name field too is too damn complex to get.

>entertainment nexus
>USA

That's not how you spell South Korea.

We make internationally popular movies, music and TV, how the fuck are we not an entertainment nexus?

>complete advantage
>long supply lines vs local enemy
>AKs against BARs, Brens, Garands and Enfields

you forgot step 1: be funny

t. "duty to retreat" proponent

>Korean War
>AKs
Holy fuck you're dumb

>2017
>People still believe this

MMMAXIMUM OVERKEK!

Read a history book. Plenty of US military defeats in those but not really on a strategic scale. Are you talking about a total capitulation? Depending on who the belligerents were the peace terms would probably be pretty harsh for the US. I'd probably look at Germany post ww1 and give it an american flavour.

Bollywood>Hollywood

It isn't. Not really.
Low taxes. Private healthcare and education.
It's an oligarchy at best.
Totalitarian + the colour Red =/= Communist

Hard to win any fucking wars when your own populace hinders you more than any enemy action.

1) Look at this thread. The memes spouted here are more delusional than the Dolchstoßlegende in Germany.

2) If ist a serious defeat the US would probably revert to self-centered isolationism and populism.

If NATO dissolves it will be by the united states choice. No European nation is going to voluntarily leave because it would mean they would actually have to pay for their defense.

Nope. For Korea the USA led the UN into the war, nothing to do with NATO.
For Vietnam: If that were the case there would have been more than just Yanks, Australians and South Koreans fighting in Vietnam. Here's a hint for you, retard: Neither Australia or South Korea are members of NATO.

Maybe in a way that it's no longer 60s, where post-war agreements basically gave your country a right to dump all their output in other nations as part of paying war debts?
No, really, that was literally American corporate film industry meddling in post-WW2 deals.

Either way, those times are long gone, most countries create enough on their own to barely substitute with burger trash and like other anons pointed out, there are few entertainment industries few times bigger than Hollywood.

tl;dr - you've been outpaced, outperformed and outnumberd

>T-this is not commieland
>B-because I say so
First of all, you would have to learn how political spectrum works, since that's something Americans have absolutely NO GRASP ABOUT and depending on how it suits them, they can call anything that is not far-wing libertarianism a "commie state" OR anything that isn't utopian Marxism a "capitalist haven"

This may come as shock but is right for a number of reasons.

1. Their soldiers were being killed fast.
2. Not all of their population was recruitable do to trust issues, langue barriers, being mangled from the last war, etc.
3. PRC had huge garrison needs at the time do to banditry.

>How bad would the united states react to a military defeat?

youtube.com/watch?v=qV0I-iA5lJU&t=2s

In terms of viewers then yes. In terms of profit hell no. The whole Indian entertainment industry will at 35 billion USD gross per years by 2020 if it keeps growing at 15.9%. In 2013 the domestic film market alone was 38.3 billion USD with foreign markets for our film turning 70 billion USD gross.

You are forgetting something - comparison of budgets AND local reality. You know, the different buying power of the very same dollar in different country.
Add that to the equation and Bollywood is one step behind. And there is also Tollywood and few other "-woods" in India, which, while neither this big or famous, summed up together have roughtly 50% bigger output than Bollywood.
God, I wish I didn't know this. I wish I really didn't have mandatory classes about it during uni time to fill the last lecture with some content. Especially since I was on Far East studies and this shit isn't even related with Far East in the slightest.

>Literally throwing helicopters off aircraft carriers to make room for people evacuating as the north Vietnamese steamrolls south Vietnam.

You lost big time matey.

If the Objective of the Vietnam war was to defend the democracy of south Vietnam, the war was lost. Doesn't matter how many engagements you 'win' (dubious statement anyway) if you don't complete your objective.

Wernher von Braun pls

Portraits of Ho Chi Minh hang on the walls of most restaurants. They are still very much communist, its just that communism isn't as evil as the US thought it was. It devolves into capitalism eventually, like all systems.

>this same chestnut again

holy christ almighty.

France and Greece have both at times withdrawn from (and rejoined) the military commitment in NATO.

Unsurprisingly for countries willing to drop that, they're also consistently some of the highest defence spenders in NATO by GDP

How is this Veeky Forums related?

If the US purged Vietnam during those times, no one would bat an eye. Discuss.

I'm more interested to see how the united states would react in a total war fought on its soil, especially if they lost.

US purging of Vietnam continues to this day. Agent orange is a bitch that lasts for generations.

youtube.com/watch?v=6au6Yj8KF9k

And yes no one is really batting an eye outside of Vietnam. The US doesn't tend to bat an eye at anything unless it effects them.

>WW1 is happening
>we don't give a fuck
>Lusitania sunk
>We still dont give a fuck
>2 years later Germans try to convince mexico to invade US
>OH FUCK THIS IS WAR

>WW2 is happening
>we don't give a fuck
>Japs rape pearl harbor
>HEY THAT WAS US STUFF, THIS IS WAR

>Taliban causing shit in Afghanistan, take over most of the country
>We don't give a fuck
>Blow up world trade center
>OH SHIT THIS IS WAR

etc. etc.

Nuclear war

Hanging photos of a former leader doesn't make it communist, buddy.
>Americans have absolutely NO GRASP ABOUT
Tfw I'm Vietnamese, uwotm8?

>Americans have absolutely NO GRASP ABOUT
whom are you quoting?

You don't see portraits of Hitler hanging on the wall in Germany - thats what usually happens when you win a war. The US certainly didn't win in Vietnam.