What are some popular RPGs in countries other than the USA? I think I know a few, such as:

What are some popular RPGs in countries other than the USA? I think I know a few, such as:

>UK: Warhams
>Germany: Die Schwarze Auge and Shadowrun
>Poland: Cyberpunk 2020, Neuroshima
>Brazil: Tormenta
>France: In Nomine?
>Italy: no fucking idea
>China: ???
>Iran: is it even allowed?
>India: !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J-0T6QKc0yg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

France: DnD, Warhammer, CoC, In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, Stella Inquisitorus, Nephilim, Berlin XVIII, Cops, Cyberpunk 2020, Bloodlust, Rêve de Dragon

Forgot Nahleubeuk man.

Switzerland has a good chunk of people playing Pathfinder

You're Swiss?

In Italy i think the most famous is "Sine Requie", it's a zombie apocalypse game set after the end of World War II (in which the Nazis weren't defeated because of the "awakening"), in which many countries react to the event by setting up dictatorships (Christian theocracy in Italy, Nazism remaining in power in Germany, communist dictatorship in Russia, etc.). It is played with tarots cards in place of dices.

Interestingly enough, they tried to sell it outside of Italy but no publisher wanted it because "hurr durr you can play nazis in this game, WTF, you have to fear and demonize nazis and pretend they don't exist, not try to humanize unlucky people living under a dictatorship trying not to get killed" and so it never got out of Italy.

In France there is COPS, a cyberpunk game about police special forces inspired by escape from new york and similar near future-high crime movies.

>In France there is COPS
Could you tell me more about this? When I google "COPS RPG" I only get shit like this.

It's a crappy game set in a cyberpunkish Californian free-state. The background is retarded, the system sucks (it's often the case with French games), but the art is damn good. Berlin XVIII is the superior cyberpunk police RPG, by far.

Unfortunately i don't think it has ever been translated to other languages. If you search "COPS jdr" (jeu-de-role) you'll find a free pdf version of the manual, that is missing 100 pages over the original, but still it's in french.

What is Die Schwarze Auge? I have a German friend who's talked about it before(I think about translating it) but I never really heard what it was like.

Here I was hoping it was something like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=J-0T6QKc0yg

It's an old German medieval-fantasy game set in a world called Aventurien. I think it got translated into English (The Dark Eye). There were also some DSA vidyas.

OWoD has always been popular in Italy. The rpg culture is not so widespread though so many people who consider themseves seasoned players havr only ever played DnD 3.5.

Also Sine Requie, being italian, is pretty well known around here.

L5R and all WoD games are pretty popular in France, too. France had a pretty good RPG culture - maybe the best after the US.

Me too! I loved this show as a kid.

>What is Die Schwarze Auge?
The Black Eye.

Spain has aventuras en la marca del este and aquelarre

Plenty of frenchie rpgs that actually see some play, too, in my experience.

>What is Die Schwarze Auge?
Good question.
I've only heard of Das Schwarze Auge.

In Poland Warhammer was really big throughout 1990s and 00s, much more than any homegrown systems. It was the first system to be released. To this day WFB is more popular than 40k too, although I suppose with the Age of Sigmar this might change.

From what I played COPS was pretty good, and the background is not that retarded for this kind of setting.
An other french RPG I really like is RAS, it's a game where you play space military in a setting that kinda look like starship troopers cross a toned down star wars

plenty of warhamsters here in Rus

>implying the Holy Grail of slavs isn't HoMM3

Sweden: WoD, D&D, 40k RPGs, Drakar och Demoner, Mutant are the things I've seen the most in recent years. Lots of other homegrown games about, but they don't seem to actually come up all that much, at least not in my circles.

Oh yeah, there are a lot: Agone, Animondes, Berlin XVIII, Bitume, Bloodlust, Cadwallon, Chimères, Cops, Dark Earth, Devastra, Elekasëe, Empires & Dynasties, Guildes, Heavy Metal, INS/MV, Keltia, Kuro, La Méthode du Dr. Chestel, L'Ultime Epreuve, Lycéennes, Maléfices, Mega, Mercenaires, Miles Christi, Nephilim, Night Prowler, Patient 13, Pavillon Noir, Polaris, Prophecy, Qin, Raoul, Retrofutur, Rêve de Dragon, Scales, Simulacre, Trauma, Vermine, Warsaw, Wog Shrog, Würm, Yggdrasil, Z-Corps, and I probably forgot a lot more.

Cronos and Tigres Volants are the only Swiss RPGs I know and I think that only Tigres Volants still has a following.

One I've played only once at a convention and never managed to put my hands on since was Mousquetaires de l'Ombres. I just loved the premise.

Men in Black, except they're musketeers. It just... works.

I was stationed in japan until last year and didnt make many non army friends, but i never noticed any board games or anything when i went to a japanese friends house.

Does anyone know if japanese people play many tabletop games or at least board games besides shogi?

Actually ive never heard of tabletop games being a thing at all in asia besides mtg in korea

never said that HoMM3 isn't GOAT, чypкoбec, just said that there are enough people to even do tournaments

HoMM2 is comfier

I sounds funny if you translate it literally though.
It's called The Dark Eye in English.

A black eye is a blue eye in Germany btw.

>Warsaw,

Wth? There's a French RPG called "Warsaw"?

>Wog Shrog

Das racist!

In Argentina we play a lot of D&D. VtM has a huge "normalfag" follower with shitty GMs that only like to show off their own headcanon. Also CoC, PbtA, Cyberpunk 2020, MouseGuard, WtA, MtA are all very popular.

following*

WarsaW is a game set in an alternate future where Germany and the Soviet Union are still fighting WWII. Both use bizarre technologies, super soldiers and psychic powers. The action is set in Warsaw.

In Brazil we have:

1. Tormenta (as you already said): Started as several articles from the popular RPG magazine sewed together as a campaign setting in celebration of the magazine number 50. Now it uses an OGL system;
2. Tagmar, your generic medieval fantasy, heavily inspired by D&D, would be considered OSR today;
3. 3D&T, which uses d6 an is quite simple to learn and use, so generic that could be used from Dragon Ball to Resident Evil. From the creators of Tormenta.
4. Desafio dos Bandeirantes (The Challenge of the Bandeirantes - settlers and fortune hunters, your typical adventurer), using the mythological colonial period of Brazil, with all its folklore: River mermaids, a giant fire snake, a headless ass that throws fire from its severed neck...

But we had our 90's WoD vibe of gothics wearing black and making sacrifices at graveyards too. The Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was a huge hit here too.

>Italy
Sine Requie.
It is a zombie post WWII game.

I think it among 3 most popular games alongside D&D and Vampire in Italy.

Spain here.

Call of Ctuhlu, D&D, Pathfinder, Vampire the Masquerade, LFR, Aquelarre,...

Board games seem pretty popular over there, from what I hear mostly eurogames. They make a fair few board games and RPGs, too. I think you just didn't meet the right people.

Might be my group of friends, but I've been in three different groups playing Harry Potter homebrews in France.

Never had those issues. The setting didn't impress me by its awesomeness and it got a bit of a "dumb leftist" ideology that isn't helped by the tone of the game like most Croc projects, but it does the job and the system itself is very decent.

Well, it can. The setting handles drunken assaults in redneck land as well as psycho serial killers or cyborg cartels.
One interesting thing is that the scenarios are supposed to be run like a TV series, so you get a real evolution of the setting during your campaign.

The whole line is available on da archive.
pdf troves for french rpgs are hard to find, though.

Is CoC what I think it is?

It's the more Veeky Forums-related kind of CoC, dude. Not the other one. Even frenchness has its limits, sometimes.

And anima and the end of the world.

>Poland
I remember a thread opening with Idee Fixe, a modern polish rpg. Meanwhile, France makes rpgs set in Warsaw... Just kiss already.
desuarchive.org/tg/thread/50080706/

>Mega

Ow, the memories.
I don't miss Casus Belli much, but Jeux & Strategie was out of this world as magazines go.

Call of Cthulhu.
I'm not aware of any tabletop system dedicated to transformation and corruption.

>Idee Fixe, a modern polish rpg
Yeah, wasn't that a cyberpunk one? Sounded a bit like a copy of CP2020.

>tabletop system dedicated to transformation and corruption.
Maga? But lets not enter such foul territory.

Black Tokyo too, if we go that way.
But those games are so bad that nobody should be able to fap to them, no matter how hard you try, so probably not what the original poster had in mind.
And I've jerked off to FATAL, so my standards are pretty low.

More seriously, degeneration is a common theme in horror, with a ton of movies about it, I'm surprised that no tabletop games are taking that approach. Same with the old "the abyss will also gaze into thee".
The closest thing would probably be 40K corruption system, but it's still a pretty minor aspect of the game.
I think there was some post-apo rpg from the 80s were you progressively became a mutated abomination due to radiation, but my memory on that subject is fuzzy.

>to this day WFB is more popular than 40k

It's time to wake up user.

>degeneration is a common theme in horror,
Symbaroum.

Up here in North-East England, D&D is still the biggest by far. There's a small following for FFG Star Wars and Numenera supposedly sells well enough, but I don't think Warhammer's rpg lines do too well, even if they are made here. There just isn't much of an rpg community here.

What other one?

A system where the lower your skill score is, the better you are, is pretty retarded.

Clash of Clans. It started as a management rpg before they hit the jackpot iwth the mobile game.

Never heard of the tabletop game.

Francophonefags translate this when?

He's pulling your leg. The common lewd reference for the CoC acronym is Corruption of Champions. Look it up yourself.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye

Also Mantoïd, Naheulbeuk and Sens.

Also most foreign RPGs are translated

Italy: oWoD, 3.5, Pathfinder(especially on roll20),
To a less extent Warhammer RPGS, both 40k and fantasy
We also created two games named Sine Requie and Nameless Land, but they both suck

Translating an entire line? That's dedication few possess.

Maybe with a patreon, but I doubt the crowd for french tabletop games is big enough for that.

Japan: Tabletop RPG's are not very widespread. We have a few original games like Sword World, Alshard, Tokyo NOVA, SATASUPE, Blade of Arcana, Shinobigami, and Cyberpunk 2020 (illustrated by Katsuhiro Otomo, with heavily modified system)

WH fantasy is still possibly the most popular system in Poland, but 40k is probably more popular as a setting. Also, I think Vampire Masquerade used to be very popular.

Just the core rulebook, really. I'm more interested in the setting than the mechanics.

...and Tenra Bansho Zero, Maid RPG, Arianrhod, Silver Rain, Yuuyake Koyake, Double Cross, Night Wizard, Log Horizon TRPG, Etrian Odyssey TRPG, Peekaboo, Kill Death Business, Card Ranker, Beginning Idol, Magicalogia, Hunters Moon, Blood Crusade, Blood Moon, inSANe, Kancolle RPG, Make You Kingdom, Colossal Hunter, Grancrest, Giant Allege, Danmaku Yuugi -flowers-, Itadaki Dungeon, Ryuutama, Nechronica, Zettai Reido, Crisis Heroine, Witch Quest, Monotone Museum, Metal Head, Double Cross...

>Cyberpunk 2020 (illustrated by Katsuhiro Otomo, with heavily modified system)
>It's funny once, but don't push this joke too far.

As a swede I can confirm this.

>Cops

mon négro

You're cruel, user.

That's still 300 pages of scanned pdf to go through.
And as someone that regularly translates french comics and homebrew, that's not an endeavour I would attempt with a light heart.

It's even the first entry in Wikipedia under translated RPG's.

Mais c'est un jeu de merde comparé à Berlin XVIII.

Vends-nous donc Berlin XVIII, dans ce cas.
Avec des arguments choisis et de splendides traits d'esprit.

Apparently Poland lives and dies for WHFRP. Like, the only reason why the wargame got popular there was because of the roleplaying game.

T'as cas aller voir sur Legrog. Les rosbifs et ricains ont pas besoir d'y aller puisque Berlin XVIII n'a jamais été traduit.

Are there Latin American RPG?

Donc qu'est-ce que tu viens faire chier à la ramener avec un jeu francophone non traduit sur une planche d'images tchétchène ?
"I'll never tell, tee hee" isn't contributing to board quality at all.

C'est pô moa ka commencé à demander la traduction de Cops sur un forum de tapisserie rupestre groenlandaise.

Berlin XVIII is a low-tech, 8-bit, analogic, police cyberpunk game set in a war torn Europe. The PCs play cops (Falkampfts) in the megalopolis of 2060's Berlin. They face brutal Scandinavian gangs, Turkish narco-gangs, Polish and Czech crime syndicates, psycho killers, communist and right-wing terrorists, Soviet secret agents, and corrupt officials. Technology isn't cutting edge and sleek like in most cyberpunk universes (two color displays, no cyberspace, no world-wide-web, no cyberware, etc.), but you have A.I.s and hover cars. The tone is pretty depressing. Junkies and gangs are everywhere. Pollution got completely out of control. On some days, the smog completely obstructs the sky (chemical night). Poverty and misery are rampant. Soldiers desert to avoid going to the meat grinder (the infamous No Man's Land). Most Eastern Europe and Scandinavia has been deserted because of the war. Refugees are packed in squalid slums.

>he PCs play cops (Falkampfts) in the megalopolis of 2060's Berlin. They face brutal Scandinavian gangs, Turkish narco-gangs, Polish and Czech crime syndicates, psycho killers, communist and right-wing terrorists, Soviet secret agents, and corrupt officials. Technology isn't cutting edge and sleek

More like 2017's Berlin, no?

Who would have guessed it in 1987?

Thanks user. But what about gameplay?

Don't forget Anime&Sangue (Souls&Blood), aka "Fuck Game Balance: the RPG".

Nameless Land can be almost entertaining if you play as actors in a trashy post-apocalyptic movie. Of course, I'd rather play something else entirely if possible.

Tormenta is the popular rpg made here, but D&D is more popular than it by far. Both 3.5 and 5.

Tormenta mostly works because their product is cheaper as fits its market, with some loss in quality. The anime aesthetic atracted many but also pushed away some. Although never meant to compete in the international market, both crunch and fluff are lazy and even dumb nowadays. They could do better but they don't. It's a shame, because some of their older suplements are among my favorites. Pic is how they portrayed the nature goddess and how they do so now.

There's Mighty Blade also.
And I'd say that oWoD is still going strong around here. Never found someone to play other stuff, but theres always some people playing vampire or werewolf.

Gameplay is extremely simple. It's a d100 system like BRP. The whole system section of the book is about 20 pages long. The rest of the book is all background.

From what I have read there's a new edition that's coming out, based on PbtA. The tone seems different, though.

>Brazil
Tormenta
3D&T
Vampire the Masquerade

I definitly wouldn't want to mess with the first one.
Good artists are expensive, and producers often ask multiple people so they aren't dependant on a single artist, even if it makes for some jarring style clashes.
Which explains why games like Ironclaw have gorgeous art alongside pieces that shouldn't even appear in fanzines.

an RPG set in one of those over the top telenovelas would be hilarious.

Like that one episode from Warehouse 13.

I want to know why someone thought that nobody would buy the black eye and renamed it dark eye instead. I mean come one schwarze is a pretty identifiable german word.

From my understanding the DO EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIME CANNOT REST NO SPACE HOME IS FOR SLEEP AND EAT culture over there (especially for people living in cities, even more so for apartments) leads to a very structured rpg experience.

And by structured I mean chu chu get on the gm has explicit railroad powers and expectations express we have 3 hours to play this in public and have to make the most out of it. Quick chinkle chongs you have a character arc, do something dramatic while the badguy escapes in a bad jrpg cut scene.

I lived north of the border in Calgary for two years and apparently everyone there was playing Exalted, at least as of 2012.

Shadowrun has a scene, I understand.

You know damn well that's a tricky word for determining gender

both of you are right

RPG in japan is not widespread, but over-all geeks in japan aren't very social, and you get guys who will literally write their own systems with a few friends doing manga-art in their spare time, then they publish because autism demands a paper form. it gets bloated, but the scene would be ripe for expansion. if any of them could write english, they'd suck up weeaboo bucks like a scam from the US Weeb market.

oh, also...
see Role & Roll, the only real Gamer store i know of in East Japan. They make their own shit too...

Oh dear Lord, Desafio dos Bandeirantes, it's both fun and a big meme at the same time.

D&D is decently big here, I reckon.

Boardgames are getting something of a following too, and Warhammer has quite a bit of participation in wargaming circles, plus LotR stuff.

7th Sea and Fate are disproportionately popular in Russia, I guess.

The local creations are few and aren't specially popular, at least these days. We had Age of Aquarius in Early-to-Mid 2000s, but the 2nd edition turned out to be shit.

isn't russia the place where that rpg where everything is procedural generated and there are specific rules (like 20 of them) for how to physically roll dice is from?