>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasynamegenerators.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh, there is one, my bad. Repostan then.

Slightly weird painting question: a lot of things lose colour if you leave them in the sun, but does anyone know whether sunlight fades miniature paint? Got a load of models on my painting desk, which gets natural light, but not sure if I should be putting them away. They do tend to stay there a while due to the whole "backlog" problem.

For what it's worth, I use GW paint, but I guess this is worth asking generally as well.

What to do for the things that go off the sides? I can't decide. My craftworld is Altaioc, so I kind of want to incorporate yellows, but I think it'd just make it too busy. Probably going with a red for the cockpit windows though.

What citadel colors would y'all say are in this scheme?

you can paint the bone colored panel on the wings yellow if you want to make it alaitoc

also what diameter of magnet do you use for crisis suit ?

It's the idiot doing the Stormbird Whale project here. The parts have arrived and look pretty good, pic related is the base model with my first ever model for scale (I refuse to repaint him and his squad). First order of business is to mask up and then sand the paint on the whale a bit to give the Greenstuff and superglue a key.

Planning on three Stormraven engines on the tail to drive the thing, or possibly one on the tail and one in the middle of each side. Going to take some chopping to get the Sector Mechanicus door and walkways down to the proper size.

Does anyone have any ideas for the weaponry? Needs two TL Lascannon and and a TL Hbolter per side, plus a missile battery somewhere. Was planning on putting one TLHBolter above each door and using the Ironstrider lascannon built into greenstuff "blisters" on the side.

Almost !

The mask looks really cool!

Thx Still ashamed for the horn... should dark to bright :

Finished my ghouls but since I'll be going for a few days no time for proper pictures in a make shift photo booth.

I can't seem to come up with a name for my Warboss, any suggestions or tips?

Why would you use citadel?

Jaw Krusha'

theres a fantasynamegenerators.com/ 40k part on this site....i got skullboilah for a ork freebooter captain myself.

I like to support my flgs.

That is nice of you but you should suggest that your flgs gets for example vallejo colours.
Imo better and cheaper.

And if you still want use citadel look up flames of war team yankee vallejo colours and convert it to citadel

I am not one to hate on Citadel colors at all they work fine but there are multible paint lines that cater to historical scale modellers directly made by Vallejo, MIG or AK interactive for example trying to match real world camp colors as close as possible . There sure are others too you might wanna look around.

I remember there being another rack of paints of a different brand, I'll check it out.

Prince august?

alright boys this weekend im buying some paints to paint up my some flesh tearers and im wondering what citadel paints yall think im going to need to do a very basic paintjob

so far im thinking some abadon black, khorne red, wazdakka red, nuln oil, leadbelcher, white scar

Bugman's glow is a really nice highlight colour for deeper reds.

His face just looks... comically small compared to every other part of him. You've done a really good job painting, I just can't imagine what the designers were thinking...

Tried my hand at the colorful Nurgle user style washes and so far I'm liking it a lot!

Working on my Runebearer, got the flesh, leather pads, and stones all done. Now working on the robe.
Got a question though, I know about making runes look shiny through painting white and then putting a glaze over it. Is there a way to get it in the recesses aside from just being careful and painting it manually?

and a back shot

Progress on my plague doctor skitarii, this is the first one to see how it goes.

Criticism?

i think the beak looks a little too big near the end but other than that i really like it, the red glowing eyes really match the beak

The highlights could be a bit more pronounced, specially on the black and metal

Work the highlights up a bit more like said and drill the barrel out on the heavy bolter and it'll be golden.

thanks, i tried to give some variations in beetween the beaks, but yeah, im sure they would look better with smaller points, i will be sure to file the next ones more
uhm, maybe a bit more "dirt" on the cannon? maybe some more highlights, the metallics are a bit too flat.

anyone have the miniature mentor series of videos? looking for some of the new ones

Working on a Trukk, couldn't figure out how to make rivets so fuck it my boyz use bolts.

Anyone know what these models are from? Want them for a Blood Bowl coaching staff model.

Looks decent, is that the old GorkaMorka trukk as a base? I've got like 5 and I wanted to convert them up.

Vallejo paints are shit

I just bought the Tyranid Start Collecting box but I'm unsure how to paint them.

What's your favourite Tyranid paint scheme?

I'm kind of liking this one from the old 3rd edition codex, but I might want to try something more natural-looking and maybe more advanced.

You got the Cadian paint scheme wrong, it should be like pic related

Thanks, and yup, I got one of those Build n Paint sets and I didn't like how small the Orkz looked so I covered the cab.

Nice. What's your method? I'd like to try.

I'm a huge fan of purple so if I ever painted a tyrranid it would have purple

That being said i really like the red skin/tan chitin scheme I've seen done. It pops on the table and is one of those schemes that can be as simple or complex as you like

>finish assembling primaris marines form Dark Imperium set
>LGS boss want them as Ultramarines

welp, at least scheme is easy and models have cool sculpts. Hopefully they'll be done for launch event at 17th.

Forge World 40k Orks iirc

I've posted these here before, but after reading the newest fluff I've decided I want to heavily weather and damage these guys up. What would you recommend to make them look beat to hell?Any good weathering/battle damage tutorials?

I'm open to pretty much any technique

I hope my phone doesn't rotate this fucking picture

How are did you get a box already?

Here's an ork name generator.
There is also a list of Ork names in Da Uvver Book from GorkaMorka, the pdf version GW released a few years back only has the rules though.
I could take a pic of that, if you want it, but I only have the German version of the book. I don't know how much they changed, but I'm pretty sure they added a few German gretchin names that were funny to them.

The German Ork stuff was translated with a lot of love back then, they localized a lot of the slang, which in some way is still more funny to me in German.
The Shock Attack Gun is called Snotzogga in German for example.
Anyway, if you find a scanned version of the book you be able to find the unaltered version.

Different colors for each breed, like in 2e.

He's painting them up for his game shop, like he stated in his post.

where the fuck has this chart been all my life

There is another scheme in the 3rd edition dex with color splashed over the skin parts.
That's always something I liked.

Take a look at poison frogs, tropical fish, or bugs for inspiration though.
Nature is the best resource for trippy color combinations.

This color scheme is based on a mantis shrimp for example.

The cab is all plasticard, the guns are taken from the Amazing Zaku model kit, and the truck bed covering is the old napkin and glue trick on some spare sprue. It came out a little scalier than I was expecting, so I'm painting it as squig hide.
Here's a better look at the cab and the bed.

Bump

It's from Waarg Da Orks. That book and 'Ere We Go are basically the Ork fluff bibles.
A lot fluff in later books is basically taken 1:1 from there.
It has a few obsolete parts like sexual reproduction, but overall it's pretty much a must have/read for ork players, imo.

You should be able to find it in the 40k generals mega archive.

Games day 2007 mini

Could you mount a heavy weapon on a Thunderwolf's back, with a Guardsman companion, to make an Aett Guard heavy weapon team?

How could you make this look right for things like Mortars that can't just fire forwards?

i want to say they were a games day edition model. but i'm not entirely sure

An easy thing would be to very lightly drybrush some of the edges with a silver to look like the paint's being worn off their armor and equipment. You've gotta be very sparing with it though or it'll be too much and look retarded.

Finished my first painted mini ever today. Decided to do practice on these before I start painting my 40k minis just to get a feel for what I should do and such.

Need to work on my detailing and how much I thin my paints but I think it came out pretty alright.

I used 1/16" diameter x 1/32" height. worked really well and was super easy to do.

First of all I think this is a horrendous idea and Thunderwolfs are the worst thing that happened to 40k short of the Santa Sleigh and Primaris marines.
That said you can do whatever you want, so here's my input if you want it;
>Could you mount a heavy weapon on a Thunderwolf's back, with a Guardsman companion, to make an Aett Guard heavy weapon team?
I'd look into how the Kroot longrifles are mounted on the Krootox. I could see that working.
>How could you make this look right for things like Mortars that can't just fire forwards?
For something like that I'd maybe consider putting a howda onto the wolf. Might not make sense on the ones with super dynamic poses, but seems the most sensible way to approach that specific kind of weapon.

The Lizardmen range has a bunch of models/warmachines that really do that well too.

If you get some gun shields from anvil industries you could even dress the whole thing up nicely.

I'll say though that mounting a mortar on something seems a bit counter intuitive to me.
It's long range indirect fire support. Under normal circumstances they shouldn't have to move much and an operator I'd hate to have to redo my math on the fly all the time.

For the other weapons that makes more sense since they'll be deployed in direct LoS of the enemy gunline basically.

Rip

>Need to work on my detailing and how much I thin my paints but I think it came out pretty alright.
For your first mini, it's surprisingly clean actually.

If you clean up a few things like the flesh on the cloth next to his face, add some shading with a wash and a highlight here and there you could go from what you have to a pretty reasonable table top standard.

>8th
>Remember I traded for a ton of Marines a few years ago then closeted them in case I ever wanted to do Marines
>Have Marines & Sisters, both armies I want to do in 8th
>Sisters have paint stuck in every crevice so to much effort to paint up an army in 2 weeks
>Marines are assembled but unpainted, and I have 40 terminators!

>Decide on Marines because easier to do
>Notice they look oddly put together...gaps and weird arm/shoulderpad placement

>EVERY SINGLE ONE IS GLUED TOGETHER WITH ELMERS GLUE
>Take one apart to see what needs to be done
>Some other weird glue UNDER ELMERS GLUE that is CHEMICALLY RESISTANT TO MY PLASTIC GLUE...
>Try Crazy Glue
>IT ALSO FAILS ME
>Try 5 different brands of glue

SOMEHOW THE FUCKING CHEMICAL MAKEUP OF THESE GOD DAMNED TERMINATORS HAS BEEN ALTERED TO WHERE THEY WILL NOT GLUE EVEN WITH A WASH.

That is why they were re-assembled with Elmers glue. It's the only thing that will work. My only other option is to shave-down every surface -AND- pin everything just to be sure. because initial tests show that the surface only starts becoming glue-able after to much is shaved. Which means putting the torsos back together is FUCKED and they need to be pinned.

FML

What's the easiest way to artscale old marines? Can I just throw a piece of plasticard in between their legs and torsos? I invested a lot of time converting some Mk IIIs and I don't want them to look like cucks on the tabletop

reposting due to the last one dying soon after i posted
trying out a new recipe for the yellow and the metal, how's it look? don't worry about the kinda chalky skin, this is a test model i used months ago

Be careful, user. You may be encountering [INQUISITORIAL CLEARANCE REQUIRED] in the wild. I'd suggest [REDACTED] and [HOLY SHIT]. I mean, either that or just pin them.
can we get some picture of these hot messes of space marines

First real attempt at proper highlights, still need some practice but im happy with the results!

Good shit right there, user.

And the back!

Sorry I am the phone posting cancer

>Can I just throw a piece of plasticard in between their legs and torsos?
That's make their midriff longer. They'll still have stumpy legs.

The, imo, easiest way to get an actual truescale marine out of a tactical without using other bits is to insert a few mm of plasticcard in the shins.
Cut those in half, add ~3mm of height and use putty and sandpaper to smooth it out again.

Next best thing would be to use termie legs, but those are a bit buffer, so you'd either have to fill in the exoskeleton part on their tights and back of the legs or work something else out, like buying tartaros pattern legs.

Adding to the legs is kind of the best way to do it, cause a regular tactical has arms that are actually way too long. So by lengthening the shins you are basically just correcting their proportions.

Pretty decent for a first shot at fabric, honestly. Way better than my first attempt.
Contrast's a bit high for my liking, though. Did you use a wash? If not, maybe hit it with a brown or something. It should blend the highlights and shadows together a bit more and make the overall effect nicer.
>t. scrub who has no idea what he's talking about

wasn't sure how vehicles would turn out in the scheme, but I think it worked well enough

will turn the top light into a proper lens

Damn

Starting on my bucket of these little cuties!

You the guy with the female inquisitor and converted AoS bloodmans?
Scheme looks really crisp and nice.

Sentinels are sexy machines of course, but it looks good on him.

oof, these are lovely. how'd you get that skintone?

>53560387
gunznotdrilla

yeah, that's me

Sentinels might be my favorite 40k models ever. I'll probably get another one.

Yeah, mine too. Back when GW did these ridiculous apocalypse deals I actually bought ten of them.
I didn't even collect IG at the time.

So that particular skin is Vallejo French Blue and Electric Blue going to Wolf Grey shot from an airbrush. I then gloss varnish the model and shade with a Drakenhof Nightshade before respraying the last two layers of the gradient. The tips of the tentacles and muscles get a hit with a brush using thinned electric blue just to help on anything that needs a bit more punch.

I know I really should fully highlight each muscle independently, but there are just so many to do, I needed an economical method so I don't go crazy.

ah, i dont have an airbrush so i guess i'll jsut stick to what i do now.
thanks for the colors though, it looks really good even without individually highlighted muscles!

What color should I paint the base? I would also love advice on what to improve on-I'm pretty new to this in general so any advice is helpful

Painting my very first model ever. How do I not suck at reikland fleshshade? The GW tv youtube says "be liberal", I was, and it's bad. It filled in and highlighted things like it was supposed to, but I guess I put too much down and it has created a secondary effect on top of another layer coat.

Do I just use less?

couldn't tell you without a picture, user

bretty gud so far

edge hilghlight the flak and weapons

make the base some weird purple alien stone for a nice color triad - add alien vegetation too, have fun with it

Hopefully you can see what I mean

not really, looks fine to me, user. just layer the basecoat over areas you want to be brighter and highlight from there

Do you mean that it changed the colour of the raised bits as well? If so that is normal. It is paint after all.

You will have to paint back over the raised areas again with whatever colour you want them to be. Make sure it is nice and thin, and take your time.

Thanks. Should I just use a thinner layer to being with?

It's more that it has sort of settled into this pattern on top of the layer of other paint, like it pooled and dried. It looks kind of neat, especially on the pants/shirt area where it sort of looked weather beaten, but I'm not sure if that's intended. On the video I watched, it just sort of darkened the whole model.

moon rocks it is! I'll edge highlight and make a nice purple base- where can I get vegetation that is alien looking though? Thanks for the awesome pointers too!

oh, those are just tidemarks which happen with shades in general. that's normal! just layer over the flat raised areas and you'll be fine.

It most likely pooled a bit then. You just need to keep an eye on how much you use, and how it rests when you apply it.

Don't apply it straight from the bottle, put a bit on a palette first so you can more easily control how much you have, then apply it, and if you see anything pooling where it shouldn't be, just take some off with your brush.

Also, did you think it down with water by chance? Washes can sometimes go a bit streaky if you thin it with water, and in most cases you shouldn't be thinning them anyway.
If you do want to thin them for a softer effect, then use Lahmian Medium

Here's my first attempt at a power sword anyone want to tear it apart? I went with some coarse brush strokes to make it look like there were currants running through it but it didn't pan out.

Is it true that you have to paint your armies a specific way in 8th Edition to get chapter bonuses?

Thanks!

I did put it down on my palette, and I didn't thin it. I think I simply put too much on. Thanks for the recommendation.

Needs some edge highlighting on ze black.

Other than that... 8/10

Looks really good. I like the shading especially. If you're stopping there, it looks great.

REEE I HATE ANYTHING RELATED TO GW REEEEEEE