Tau 8th Refugee Thread

Which army are you switching to for 8th edition?

>Abandoning the Greater Good
What are you, a Kroot?

Will Necrons be good? Why will Tau be bad now? Let me know genuinely curios. Always wanted to paint up a rusty necrons scheme.

No Kroot would sink that low
'Crons looking better and Tau Riptides got points increased by a good amount so WAACfags are jumping ship

Will have to wait for top 8 tourney lists. I'm not good at theorycrafting. I just know the riptide is shit now so fuck tau.

>Which army are you switching to for 8th edition?
Tau.

Because they are not shit. You're just a bad flavor-of-the-month player. That's all.

That's right.
You fucking WAAC tourney faggots GTFO out my army.

>I'm not good at theorycrafting.
[sarcasm]Well that's a big fucking surprise[/sarcasm]
>I just know the riptide is shit now so fuck tau.
Yep, necrons deserve you.

You really are the kind of idiot that gave tau players a bad name. I actually completely endorse you being a non-tau player. In fact, maybe you should try another game?

Hopefully they will realize their own mistakes and bring tau back in 9th or sooner.

If my predictions are correct, they are going to buff Imperium. I'm studying the Prismarines.

But do shelf the Tau. They are now worthless, keep them in a box until we get updates.

I'm actually starting a Tau army for 8th, I love Tau battlesuits and mecha but didn't want to be one of those Riptide-wing assholes so I never started the army. Now I don't have to worry about it.

Maybe I can grab a cheap Tau army after all these WAAC-fags start putting them up on ebay.

Pretty much all of the tau's fanbase was flavor of the month player. It's just that it lasted more than a month so a lot of people forgot that tau didn't actually have a fanbase

Riptides are going to be cheap, that's for sure. So if you wanted a big mech to add to your collection, this is the best time to do it.

Just make sure you wash the tears off of them. The extra salt will corrode the plastic.

>'Crons looking better and Tau Riptides got points increased by a good amount so WAACfags are jumping ship
Please don't be telling me that we're becoming the new WAACfag army that people refuse to play against, I just want my robo-egyptian aesthetic.

They are shit user.

Riptides got fucked. Markerlights are bad. Melee is deadly.

I can see GW wanting Tau to use more infantry, but Pathfinders still suck ass even if cheaper.

>user shitposting
Nobody is selling models chump. Most will just shelf them until the inevitable come back.

Tau, they're cheap at the moment.

>that people refuse to play against
Who gives a shit? People cannot refuse you in tourney.

I think the new WAAC army might be orks

idk, havent played since 5th
going to read all the new rules first

Neat, they're my main force.

I started Tau in 4th. I never had regrets, and I certainly don't now.

The only big Tau suit that looks good at all is the Ghostkeel and it's buffed for 8th anyway.

>They are shit
Confirmed for not knowing a fucking thing
Make sure to keep jumping on bandwagons because it's all you're good at

Noooo i thought people didnt like playing against necrons before, now all the WAAC bandwagoners are going to make it 10x worse

>Confirmed for not knowing a fucking thing
Confirmed to not understanding how the game, tempo and play works.

Go back to playing for fun you fucking casul.

Okay so a riptide with 2 fusion blasters, an ion cannon, and two drones is 301 points right?
Or did I forget something?

>They are shit user.
Nope. You're just shit. That's all. It's ok. A lot of players like you depend on 2 or 3 powerful units with no need for tactics and strategy.
>Riptides got fucked.
They are now competitively priced, so instead of being a stupid decision not to bring them, they are now something you need to heavily consider where it's worth it, as most stuff should be.
>Markerlights are bad.
Nope. You just don't know how to deal with change. It's a lateral move. Before markerlights were best used spread out over several targets. And a waste when several were blown on a single target. Now it's the opposite. They are most efficient used in large numbers on single units. They are still going to be essential for tau players, just used differently.
>Melee is deadly.
And overwatch is even more deadly.
>I can see GW wanting Tau to use more infantry, but Pathfinders still suck ass even if cheaper.
Oh jeeze why am I even bothering. You played tau because you heard they win trophies, not because you have any clue how to competitively play 40k. I give up.

Confirmed for being the worst type of competitive 40k player. Warmahordes is more your scene.

Tau. I heard a lot of idiots are getting mad because their giant robots are not i-win buttons anymore. So they are getting buttmad and selling their armies for cheap. 8e rules are looking really good for them.

What is the TL;DR on Tau? Are we back to fourth edition levels of bad?

The stuff WAACfags depended on before, are now overpriced in points. But everything else still fits the Tau play style and will be a good challenge to play for any type of player.

How overpriced are we talking?

Crisis suits, riptides, and broadsides got hit the hardest. They are just not spammable now, but still very good options when used moderately and taken to fill the role they specialize in a list.

>Tau doom robots are now appropriately costed
>Faction is deaaaad

Just watch. Here in a couple months he's going to bring his crons to a tourney and get blasted by a tau player who knows what he's doing.

I wish I could see it.

also, the infantry look like they can still combine for pretty decent walls of fire.
Fireblade, darkstrider, ethereal, pulse accelerator drone.

and I know people are saying vehicles are overcost (this is for every faction), but lets see how the completely different rules for them work for a bit first.

I thought they were overcosted too, then I saw everyone got their vehicles overcosted. So it's really not that much of an issue.

Is a wh40k match still about 80% decided by your army list vs opponent's army list rather than how you actually use your army?

t. haven't played warhams in about 10 years

yes and that's common to most games. Dota 2 is 65% the draft at highest levels.

Haven't played 8th yet, but I do like a lot of the changes, they seem more promising. Things like anything possibly wounding anything reduces some of the rock-paper-scissors shenanigans that plagued 7e. It may still be there, just not as prevalent.

AoS may be a bad word here, but it's the same thing there too. There are powerful lists, but they are not completely unbeatable. Smart players can give them a challenge. I took a noncompetitive dispossessed list to the LVO and beat a player who had a really meta SCE list, and i barely won out against him.

Taking on really top lists usually come down to playing the scenarios smartly and keeping your opponent guessing.

just run an example.
Try to shoot down a devil fish and a piranha. Use different guns. Remember that they can benefit from cover.
Now they can't jink, but that means that there is no 6's to hit. No crew shacken either so no 6's to hit from that either.

See how long it takes to kill them, compared to before.

None? I play them because of the awesome Gundam-Suits. Come at me, bro.

>yes and that's common to most games.

Talking out of your ass; I've played plenty of tabletop games where this isn't the case.

Knights until I have good handle on the rules and I see where my Khorne world eaters, Sisters of battle, and Slaanesh daemons are after the fallout settles.

Why comrades! Why leave the bright light of this dark galaxy?

On a serious note though. When I heard about 8th I immediately wanted to get back in the hobby. Just bought a getting started tau box. What next boxedsets do you suggest?

Tau players are pretty much the cancer of 40k since they got their big power update.

Why don't you try Bolt Action my former Tau friend?? Its full of shooting, he he, he he

You're giving up an army you bought, painted and played with because the previous cheesy strategy no longer works?

>painted

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you lowly scum i stick to my oldtau from 4th edition to 8th, never bought a single riptide, and they have always fare fairly, with a gunline of fire warriors and pathfinders, one hammerhead that sniped tanks, and some crisis and xv25 to drop the shit

it's mostly riptides

WTF is going on with all these asshurt T'au players?

They are fine.

Inb4 " i cant spam Riptides all day and auto win".

WAACfag Tau players are used to playing 40K on the Eddie from Tekken difficulty.

Fuck you cunts

Fucking neck yourself shit fucker

You had might as well take all that shit onto your front step, smash it all to shit and bin it because it's fucking dogshit trash now buddy

Oh how the tables have turned.

Fuck off blueberries.

This
Get King (II)'d

>leaving tau
My stealthmans are even better now, fuck off.

What is going on in this thread? Tau is still good? My friend played competitive Tau in 7th and is sticking with it for the greater good and marker lights are better. You get to keep them? If people are over reacting it's surely because the army is balanced now. I'm sure the real Tau players are happy to see the power gamers go. Super toxic army jumping competitive play is why this game was kicked into a new edition. If you played Tau to take advantage you literally fed into the cancer that was your favorite game and made 8th edition what it is now... You only have your self to blame. Jesus fucking tits.

Anyone switching from Tau right now is a moron, they're getting some massive buffs.

1. Tau have LOST THEIR WEAKNESS TO MELEE as they can now walk away from melee encounters, and most factions (i.e. Tyranids) have no way to keep you in melee. You can just walk away and shoot them when they charge again.

2. Tau infantry have been almost HALVED in point cost, making some of the best shooting infantry in the game insanely cheap.

3. The changes to assault weapons means that Tau pulse carbines are now REALLY good guns for what they do, and pathfinders got buffed most of all. Markerlights now hit on a 5+ when moving instead of only sixes, Rail Rifles are super good, Pathfinders might become the go-to infantry pick for Tau.

4. The point costs for Riptides does not discourage their use. You can still fit them in your army with the points you saved with infantry, unless you're a mixed-list cancerous WAACfag that wants nothing but them.

I'm going to field my Tau pretty much the same as I was before, with one riptide and an equal amount of other units, and my army is going to have a shitton more dudes than before.

>no need for tactics and strategy

Is there any room for tactics and strategy in 40k whatsoever?

Yea Nigga preach!

Eh, I may actually start playing Tau with 8th ed, now that this Neon Genesss Metal Gundam Gear O crap is over and that the good-looking models are playable again.

Why, they did a fantastic job on them

I'm not giving up on Tau, but my FSE army's getting sidelined for a bit. I can only imagine how many points The Eight cost in this edition.

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Dying in Melee Real Hahahaha Gue'la Just Walk Away From The Fight Like Gue'la Use Your Jumppack Haha.

If you drop Tau in 8th because of the changes to Riptides, you are fucking stupid and dumb and you can do whatever you want

I kind of feel like starting a tau army now.
I never really liked battlesuits and always preferred their tanks and infantry.

How viable are hammerheads?

Hammerheads have always been good but traditionally it's been best to take Longstrike over a regular hammerhead. Not sure about the new edition yet.

>army gets rightful nerf
>players abandon it
You Tau faggots are the cancer killing this hobby.

Starting imperial guard. Better gun line than tau

This must be a bait thread.

Longstrike is massively better than a regular Hammerhead, he's BS 2+ and has +1 to wound against vehicles and monsters (the usual targets of a hammerhead).

Longstrike also grants +1 to hit to nearby Hammerheads, so he acts a bit like an imperial Tank Commander.

How is khorne daemon kin holding up? Im still painting my collection

Yeah but is he worth the points if you're just taking one? And does he have sept requirements?

He costs 20 points over a regular Hammerhead, so 195 instead of 175 in Railgun + Dual Burst Cannon loadout. I'd say he's worth it, though he's better with a couple other tank to support him.

And yes, he's from the T'au Sept, so that's who he fights for. Not that it really matters.

Good.

Not at all. Crisis suits, riptides and stormsurges got a price hike but stealth suits are way better and are basically like "old" crisis suits. characters got buffed, markerlights are awesome (they don't get used, so you need less overall, and the unit that shoots them can use them also), rail rifle pathfinders cost fucking 27 points and annoy the shit out of everything on the field, broadsides cost more points but can dish out mortal wounds.

Perhaps the only unit in the army that actually got nerfed hard was the Riptide, and this is good: this way faggots who brought a riptide in a 1000 point game can go fuck themselves with their WAAC mentality.

Troops, transports, kroot, vespids and small suit are the shit now. Ghostkeel got buffed too!

The big shitstorm came up because people were not used to craft an army around a strategy, instead they made whatever formation was the cheesiest and won. Now Tau need strategy and sinergy, and many people aren't used to that: these people either sell their army or man up and learn new stuff.

I'm coming back to playing Tau after running from all the tourney WAAC faggots

I haven't touched my tau since the riptide spam began. I like the models, hate the cheese. Now I might actually get back in. Started with their 4th edition book, and curb stomped the "meta" armies of the time. Gonna do it again now that they "suck" again.

Wow Atleast ork players are fun compared to other players

thinking of rebuilding my old ork army and selling my grey knights

I'm going to actually give a proper answer instead of "HURRR RIPTIDE BAD"

First up, Crisis Suits, while tougher and with more wounds, are almost three times the cost they are now and cannot move in the assault phase anymore, so they will die much quicker since they can't play with LOS.

Second, Markerlights have been completely gutted. the new system of having all effects be cumulative means you need 6 marker light tokens on a unit to gain the same bonus as you would get from 3 right now. Additionally, with the effects being cumulative the existing method of chaining markerlights between small units is no longer useful. Pathfinders are still fragile as shit, and the only other vector for markerlights, drones, are now less accurate thanks to the different way Drone controller's work. If we take the logical assumption that drone controller bonuses don't stack they can never hit on better than a 4+.

This is one of the biggest hits to my mind. Tau shooting is very mediocre without Markerlights and they have been made much more awkward to use and overall less useful.

Third, and admittedly this is a thing which is common to a few armies, is that costs are out of control right now. A 65 point Broadside suit now costs over 200. This means in a 2,000 point game actually using suits will eat up all your points stupidly fast.

Fourth, The changes to twin linking is questionably not a buff for Tau, as they relied on twin linking a lot of guns to make up for their overall poor BS.

Fifth, Fan favourite the Riptide has been insanely nerfed. I believe that the Riptide itself was never broken, just the very popular Riptide wing formation was, and now the singular base model has paid for it. Stupidly expensive with just it's standard gear, and it's nova reactor ability now inflicts mortal wounds on it every time it is used.

To conclude, the three pillars that hold up the Tau (Maneuverability, Suits and Marker lights) have all been nerfed heavily, with no replacement

>Riptide as a collection miniature

Why? The design is just so fucking horrible, not even a fan of post 2000 mech or "original" designs from battletech like them.

>I believe the Riptide itself was never broken

Are you fucking serious? If not "broken" it was about as undercosted as the Wraithknight was, maybe slightly less.

>None? I play them because of the awesome Gundam-Suits. Come at me, bro.

Which awesome gundam-suits? Tau have something like that?

>Crisis suits are limited

Stealth Suits got buff. They swapped them around.

>Markerlights got completely gutted.

No they didn't. The new system is cool. Cumulative buffs mean that, while it's true that you have to pay more for the benefits, the charges aren't fucking expended. They're at their best used to really fucking light up a single big model or large blob. This also addresses the mobility problem an extent, because it totally adds running and gunning, which was not really an option Tau had before.

>Costs are going out of control.

No they're not. They're just shuffled. Infantry is cheaper across the board. Broadsides cost more but they gain the ability to dish out mortal wounds. Stealth Suits are great. Ghostkeels got buffed.

With upgrades it was clean over 200 points for a model with essentially 2 guns, and it can't even shoot those well without outside support.

Good, yes, not broken. Letting it shoot twice and reroll nova reactors is broken, but that's the formation not the model.

Broadsides got +1 T, +4 W, and doubled their shots. They went from 65 points kitted to 190 kitted.
Crisis Suits got +1 T, +1 W, and can't be taken naked. Most of their guns are more expensive except for burst cannons and plasma (which aren't as good anymore). They went from 22 naked to 42 naked.

Meanwhile if you -don't- take the Stimulant Injector it's decidedly under 200 points. And paying for the Stimulant Injector is brainless since it gives your t6 2+ save up to 3+ invuln monstrous creature a feel no pain.

>Can't shoot them well without outside support.

Large blast doesn't exactly care too much about whether you're BS3 or BS5. like it helps but it's very effective standalone. It's side weapons are all twin-linked so it's not like it's inaccurate either.

It needed at least a clean 25 points, probably more.

I started tau in 3rd E when their codex came out, and only stopped when when GW went all "Hhhh THICKER" with the battlesuits.
So I'm pretty happy, actually.

Steal suits are still bad, friend. They have nothing that can reach out beyond 18", can't jump back so they will be shredded by any standard anti-infantry fire and can only take one special weapon per three, so they cannot specialize their loadout for shit.

To suggest they're a replacement for crisis suits is lunacy.

The new markerlight system is not cool. Every turn you are having to spend tax tokens for effects which have no point whatsoever to get to what you want.

My usual Tau list runs 16 markerlights. In the new rules I will on average be able to affect one enemy unit per turn to any significant effect.

And is points costs going up by more than 300% not out of control?

In my last few games of 7th I stopped using my Riptide and replaced it with an extra unit of crisis suits, which came out much cheaper. I was genuinely shocked by how much more effective they were since they were able to carry so much more firepower.

It's less braindead than just having a MC with a 2+ and 3++, but don't pretend like the riptide is the be all and end all of the suit armory.

>Prices going up by more than 300% not out of control

Not if they deserve it.

>Nothing that can reach out more than 18" and are shredded by anti-infantry fire

Except they start within 12" of the enemy and get -1 to hit against them, and they can move and shoot their weapons, advance and shooting with either markerlights or Target Locks

>Every turn you are having to spend tax tokens for effects that have no point whatsoever

Except that, once those tokens are on, they're done. They're not going anywhere. Every unit gets those effects. Every unit is getting +1 to hit rerolling ones while running and gunning.

Even if they're being hit on 4+ instead of 3+, at T4 and only three models they will be absolutely shredded by bolter or bolter equivalent fire. Anything that imposes a save mod on them will do it even faster.

>Except they start within 12" of the enemy and get -1 to hit against them, and they can move and shoot their weapons, advance and shooting with either markerlights or Target Locks

Moving and shooting or advancing or shooting is irrelevant. being unable to move again means after they've got close enough to actually engage anything they have to stand out in the open with their blue dicks in their hand to get rapid fired or charged.

>Except that, once those tokens are on, they're done. They're not going anywhere. Every unit gets those effects. Every unit is getting +1 to hit rerolling ones while running and gunning.

Again, irrelevant. Once the locked unit dies, those are still all gone, and there's no more left for anything else on the opponents side.

If there's a mauled MC with 4-5 wounds left, I still have to waste the exact same amount of markers on it instead of just throwing out a few to give just enough of a boost to finish it off.

You know, making a tactical decision when allocating your resources. Like a wargame.

>Not if they deserve it.

Show me on the doll where the robot touched you

With the keyword system you can only get benefits from Longstrike if your sept is the T'au sept rather than your original army.

except you can just throw the 1 marker effect to help finish off the mauled MC and devote the rest of your markerlights to an actual threat.

It sounds like you're used to everything being underpriced and getting to deal with that not being the case anymore.

No one will care if your paint scheme isn't the official T'au one. And if someone does care, then you just found a turboautist and got given a reason to avoid him.

Keywords are only going to be a problem if you want Farsight or Aun'shi in the same detachment as Longstrike.

>Farsight and Longstrike
Exactly my problem user

I find hard to believe that the T'au have a single tank ace.

>It sounds like you're used to everything being underpriced and getting to deal with that not being the case anymore.

Projecting harder than a cinema.

>except you can just throw the 1 marker effect to help finish off the mauled MC and devote the rest of your markerlights to an actual threat.

Rerolling ones is not nearly as good as getting a BS increase, which is only got at 5.

Not the guy you're arguing with, but yes, user, markerlights have been nerfed. Does it really surprise you that your entire army isn't bs5 anymore?