Imperial Guard/Imperial Agents/Militarum Tempestus 8th thread

Imperial Guard/Imperial Agents/Militarum Tempestus 8th thread

What are you hyped for? I was let down that you couldn't have the same warband for Inquisitors, but at the same time I'm pretty pumped for Acolytes with Power Mauls and Plasma Pistols busting out hard. Not sure where to get models to represent them however.

You can build acolytes out of any human soldier pretty much.

Too bad that Xenos inquisitors lost fucking everything fun about them.

>5'11 marinelets get crushed beneath 6'0 guardsman boot

will they replace the start collecting boxes with a new starter set?

I'm disappointed that Inquisitors STILL don't get invuln saves, but I am happy that they fixed the wargear options so that Inquisitors can use absolutely everything in the armory.

Shame Acolytes only have 5+ now, but 3 Wounds and using damn near any weapon without restrictions is awesome.

The new army building format where the units only need to share a faction in order to be in one army makes it even easier to make an appropriate Inquisitorial force, so I can still have my Inquisitorial warband, Sisters, Aeronatica detachment, Assassinorum, etc. all together. Also, Inquisition Land Raiders are back.

Also, as a Hereticusfag in particular, I'm pretty content with Sisters for the most part.

Why even bother having different Ordo inquisitors can be if they all get the same shit?

Also you'll notice that not everyone gained things. Daemonhunters is still supersecret club to the point where they get their own entry. Xenos lost more than they gained, keeping ONLY the shitty needle pistol.

I am slightly disappointed that the unique Ordo weapons are kinda muddled up, but that's not what I was talking about. I meant how in the previous edition, Inquisitors couldn't even take plasma guns or flamers, but now the armory has been opened up so that they can take just about everything.

Unique weapons might make a comeback when the codex releases which, apparently according to the GW manager meeting that happened recently, should be by the end of the year.

Yeah true, but I mean I don't know where to find Mauls and Plasma Pistols. The only model that comes with both is that Inquisitor she's cosplaying as.

Buy bits, use marine plas pistols

There are at least a dozen kits you can grab plasma pistols from.

A maul can be made from a shaft and any suitably-blunt head. (flanged mace, morning star, eagle statue, incense globe, etc.)

Buy a box of Militarum Tempestus and a box of Skitarii Rangers, then kitbash them together to create your Inquisitor and their band of acolytes.

Maybe add in a box of Genestealer Cultists, too, if you want to equip them with that heavy weapon GW's never made a model for.

I'm excited for 6++ Conscripts thanks to Celestine l

Good ideas I also realized I can use the cultist models with the maul and pistol. Would be easy to give it a plasma pistol.

I'm pumped by what I've see so far. The only thing I need to wait for now are Forgeworld's Imperial Navy rules because my Scions need their close-air support.

So, out of curiosity, what does Veeky Forums think of the potential of making an Adeptus Astra Telepathica army?

>HQ: Primaris Psyker
>Elites: Sister of Silence Witchseekers, Sister of Silence Prosecutors, Sister of Silence Vigilators, Wyrdvane Psykers, Astropaths
>Dedicated Transport: Null-Maiden Rhino

An entire army composed of psykers and blanks!

It's actually a pretty cool idea, to be honest. Only thing it's lacking is anti-tank, but that could just be solved by some Valkyries, fluffed as just Navy air support.

But then it'd just be an Imperium army, rather than an Adeptus Astra Telepathica army...

I am going to miss my hot shot volleyguns. Salvo rule you will be missed...

I was just giving you a suggestion for anti-armor if you were planning to actually run the army, user.

Although alternatively, you could stick some Land Raiders in and just claim they're Sisters of Silence vehicles. Nothing in the lore says they don't have them, and it's entirely doable with the current army set-up.

Wouldn't spamming Psykers with Smite to deal Mortal Wounds to tanks, along with Null-Maiden Rhinos firing off Hunter-Killer Missiles, be enough anti-tank?

Infinitely better now...

Hyped about these detachments allowing me to play world of tanks with my IG, but what happened to the Exterminator and blast weapons in general hit me pretty hard.

Still looking forward to FW rules for stuff like the Annihilator's cost and the Plasma Blastgun for the Stormblade.

annoying inquisition things:

>acolytes still can't buff their BS or WS
>removal of options (NO FUCKING POWER ARMOR???)
>no invuln saves for inquisitors, and still no terminator armor for non-malleus (fluffyish? IDK, if grey knights can get it for their Inquis buddies, Deathwatch can).
>Crusaders and DCA can't switch weapons (not as big a deal since power swords are good now)
>condemnor is even more meh (it was actually marginally useful for causing perils)
>null rod got nerfed
>KARAMAZOV LOST HIS LASER BEAM

They got buffed, tho. You can actually move around and fire.

It seems mad to me that Inquisitors, of all people, can't take a force field. But yeah, wound 3 acolytes were a shock and a joy. Now you can bring your Dark Heresy group to the table and possibly have one survive the battle.

Oh well derp. Don't mind me then. Now that plasma can be used without worrying about gets hot, is the hot shot volleygun less viable now? Why take a volleygun when I can give every squad plasma and melta.

Well S4 is decent against higher T now. And you've got more volume of fire than plasma.

So acolytes now get bolt pistols and boltguns for 0 points, they still cant take autoguns or lasguns or shotguns or snipers or grenade launchers. We lost servitors, and now lack heavy weapons. Also Acolytes can take needle pistols - which ive just started to try to figure out how to model because needle pistol acolyes would be funny

oh and something that bums me out is that crusaders, DCA, jokero and daemon host are now their own units but not characters. In the case of the daemonhost and the jokero they are single model units that can be targetted. Which is pretty shitty. Also that jokero nerf hurts. No more extended range or +1 armor just shitty rerolls

also losing psy-bolters for that +1S on chimeras and rhinos, but that did always seem lame. No more mystic or astropaths. And I think I might use a razorback or taurox prime from now on. If I had access to the model Id use a Primaris Rhino

Ive never considered what might be the best transport, or if different rhinos get different buffs like the null rhino

>With the leaks the only shit i cared about was the imperium 2 book because Imperial Guard
>Now that everything is a little more quiet i looked for the Space Marine leaks.
>Predator single auto cannon are so much fucking better than the ones of Leman Russ Exterminator

Why you do this to me GW?

Karamazov losing that laser is sad. Still Acolytes are okay especially if you have a hard hitting Inquisitor.

But yeah, no Invulnerable save, what is up with that. Even your basic Guard Commander has one.

personally I'm looking forward to using the Inquisition rules to reproduce (roughly) the Rogue Trader party from a game I played in once.

1 Inq with Plasma Pistol and Power Sword
1 Inq with hotshot lasgun and inferno pistol
1 Inq with incinerator and daemonhammer
1 Inq with boltgun and power maul

4 acolytes all with bolt pistols, 2 with bolters, 2 with plasma
4 acolytes all with bolt pistols, 2 with bolters, 2 with plasma

Stormraven gunship to deliver them onto an objective where they can be an expensive and distracting pain in the ass while the rest of my allied army actually does stuff.

plasma guns have one shot at 24"
volley guns have four

Scion look good now... and you can combine them with the guard to obtain better orders...
I am happy I kept mine but are you afraid they will be needed to shit with the actual codex?

>What are you hyped for?
Fucking nothing. I have lost the will to continue with this shit. "Elite-style guard armies? Fuck yourself. Buy Tempestus, you fucking nerd."

Guess it's what I get for trusting the Eternal Anglo.

>What are you hyped for?

Non-zero possibility of getting new Sisters minis soon.

I don't understand why GW is dragging its heels so much with the Sisters. They know plastic Sororitas would sell like proverbial hotcakes. It's like there's free money on the ground and they're taking years to pick it up.

>no more D-99 with 10 special weapons in each squad and BS 4 Vulture

>Spearhead detachment (794)
Knight Commander Parsk - Battle cannon, 3x HB, HKM, HS (243)
Leman Russ - Battle cannon, 3x HB, HKM, HS (189)

>Battalion detachment (416)
Lord Castellan creed (70)
Commissar Yarrik (130)
HWS - 3x ML (72)
HWS - 3x ML (72)
HWS - 3x ML (72)

>Super-heavy auxiliary detachment (584)
Stormlord - Vulcan mega bolter, 3x HS, 4x LS, 4x THB, HKM (584)

>Fortification network (190)
Void shield generator (190)

Comments?

Correction:

>Spearhead detachment (810)

Total of 2000

You can still do elite style Guard, what are you on about? They are great. You take the Vanguard detachment for elites. Now Vets can get orders easier because the commanders can ride with them. Sure the transports and tanks are more expensive points wise, but you get more guns and more durability.

DESU blob guard looks stronger

with less than 400pt you can field 2 50m conscript teams, with a lord commissar an company commander

With a combination of rank fire, take aim and bring it down (plus get back in the fight if needed) the can output a ridiculous amount of firepower, thanks to the orders affecting 50 dudes instead of 10,

Add HWTs with lascannons in the back to take care of tanks, and you are set.

So are basic Sisters now useful, or are they still something that you only take because you have to?

Agreed. Part of me thinks taking infantry squads is still worth it for how cheap power weapon sergeants are and special weapons and all that. Conscripts are so good though so I'm tempted to just do Conscripts, HWS, and command squads with special weapons since you can pack a few in Chimeras and Valkyries.

Losing power armour, every single scrap of flavour and half the effectiveness of jorekaeo.

Fuck GW.

Why give juicy targets to your opponent's anti-tank?

Let them fire lascannons at conscripts and laugh.

They've always been useful. flamer/heavy flamer or 2x flamers, immolator with multi meltas (Actually the 12" heavy flamers might be usable now too)

Losing the flxible as fuck command squad is shit though, but otoh repentia might actually be useful.

Why the fuck they gave them gimped eviscirators I do not understand though. Same with death cult assasins and thier gimped swords.

WHERE IS MY -4 AP GW YOU FUCKS

But I like vehicles too. I haven't decided if I should give characters any guns or power weapons. Right now I'm playing all the units I love and have done custom work for, so this is my current want to try list. I'm not thinking Lemans are that useful this time around, so I'm sticking to Basilisks and Manticores. Might order more or just use the 2 of each I have. I also have 40 models left unbuilt, but right now I just have 60 built and painted.

2x Spearhead 1x Vanguard

-HQ-
Commander 30
Commander 30
Commander, Power Sword 34

-Elite-
Commissar, Bolt Pistol, Power Sword 35
Priest 35, Maul 39
Priest 35, Maul 39
Astropath 15
5 Ratlings 50
5 Bullgryn with Power Mauls 210

-Troops-
Infantry Squad, Maul, Plasma Pistol, Plasma 56
30 Conscripts 90
Scions, 2 Plasma 64
Scions, 2 Plasma 64

-Fast Attack-
10 Rough Riders 100

-Heavy Support-
Punisher, 3 heavy bolters 176
Eradicator, 3 heavy bolters 181
Autocannon HWS 57
Mortar HWS 27
Mortar HWS 27
Lascannon HWS 72
Lascannon HWS 72
Manticore 132
Basilisk 108
Basilisk 108

Does Pask actually do anything anymore?

for +10pt from a tank commander he can order LRs twice/turn and gets BS +

There is literally no reason not to include him over a regular tank commander unless you play catachan.

Even if you do play Catachan, you can just say your tanks are Cadian right?

Yes but if you are shooting for the brigade detachment and the sweet 9 CP, you need all units from the same faction.

>BS 2+

Yeah but they only need to share the same faction tag which would be Astra Militarum. If that doesn't work, then you can fill out the Brigade Detachment with HWS on the cheap and take a Spear head for Pask.

Well, just ordered a taurox, and some conversion bits for those stupid tracks, some ogryns, and the bits I will need to make rough riders. Glad all of those will actually become useful, even though I'm sad that chimeras look like they will be useless again now. Is there any reason to ever take multilasers?

Chimeras are nice being disco balls of shooting again since they can hit all over the place. Otherwise they are good for carrying characters and squads. They are also good for Bullgryn and Ogryn since they can hold 4 of them.

I really hope we get plastics for the other regiments when the official IG codex drops.

Also, wtf is up with vets being elites now? Is mech guard done for this edition?

Troops are no longer obligatory.

I doubt we will. It's low priority to give Guard new models I think. I got some Vostroyans to be Veterans before the leaks, but now that their Infantry box comes with a flamer and heavy bolter, I might just pick up more of those. That's a pretty good Infantry squad loadout for this edition. Heavy bolters are so good and cheap now. They wound pretty much everything that's tough on a 5+. My Chimeras feel a little cucked now that I have them equipped with Multi-Lasers.

As for the Elite choice Veterans, my bet is because there is no official model for them, but they didn't want to fully upset Guard players so they kept them as Elites. The good news is that there is an Elite focused detachment so you can still make an army of Veterans. Commanders can also roll with Vets in Chimeras so they can give orders to that squad. It's pretty dope actually. I think Vets are better than they were because now there's a reason to take a heavy weapon with them instead of just special weapons. On top of that you get a heavy flamer in addition to the heavy and 3 special. Plus Plasma Pistols are so cheap, you can throw one on the Vet sergeant no problem.

The biggest issue with Veterans currently is that they lost doctrines which upsets people. I'm a little upset too, but they are still really good and now that I can have an easier time giving them orders. There's some give and take for Vets this edition. Just like how we lost Platoons and combined squads upsets me, in turn we something else in the form of taxless Conscripts, cheaper weapons, cheaper heavy weapon squads and tons of command points.

so dedicated transports are no longer unit specific?
i can take any transport for a squad?

They also can take multiple units.

IE: Chimera could hold two 5 man vet squads.

Vet squads are 10 men. However, a Chimera can take 3 Command squads which is pretty funny. Could have 12 Plasma Guns in a Chimera. So risky, but also, Valkyries are deadly with that. Hell of a pay load to deliver across the board.

Thinking about rolling with Yarrick, a company commander, two astropaths, and plasma vets in chimeras. Gives me access to two psychic powers, guaranteed ignore cover at 18 inches, always on reroll 1s for maximum plasma spam, and two orders for whatever is needed. And Yarrick brings all the regular commissar tool kit as well unless I missed something.

I don't play this game but I might start if they relaunch Sisters of Battle in plastic like they've been teasing for months.

>mfw we got chadmarines before plastic sisters

I hear you. I want more plastic Sisters and plastic Guardsmen.

But they don't want to bother with us because people don't like humans. People can only talk about Marines and Chaos Marines. They like their space opera and it's so boring.

Enough people buy Sisters that they were never taken out of production.
Celestine got a (beautiful) plastic model this year.
New armies always sell well.
They even went through the trouble of reorganizing the Sisters as a subfaction of the "Adeptus Ministorum."

And yet they won't just give us the goddamn plastic models.

I dunno either. I mean, with how much cheaper they made Guard points wise, a new model release would give them huge sales numbers. Sisters too of course.

I've been waiting for plastic Sisters the last 20 years. I'd give up hope, if they hadn't just put out Genestealer Cultists (which I bought a decent amount of).

Can we give orders from inside of Chimeras anymore or is that gone now?

Scions are pretty cool and reliable now. You can have two units and an officer with a command rod for fairly cheap. Bring lots of plasma/melta and some flamers to ward off charges, drop into cover, and just take over a back section of the table.

Gone. Can't shoot out either.
Going to have to break apart some guys to give them Rods now. I have 20 Karskins and 10 Scions, so I'm ready for this edition. Back section deep striking and board control will be much nicer now. I'm thinking keeping the base of my army Infantry squads, Conscripts, HWS, artillery and then having Scions plopping all over the place. Maybe some Rough Riders for some side charges and Bullgryn for counter charges.

Can't shoot out of any transport? Or just not back hatch on Chimera?

Can't shoot out of normal transports. You can shoot out of open topped though. The good news is that we're back to 5th edition style disembarking where if you don't move in the movement phase, you can pop out and assault. Also nice because you can charge after shooting any kind of weapon. Assault weapons now are just allowing you to move, run and then shoot at -1 BS.

How good are shotguns now? Also can the Vets in a Command Squad take say a Med kit or Vox and a shotgun?

Command squad can't take shotguns, just vets.

Shotguns are better than they were because if you get up close you can do some nice S4 shots before charging. The fact that you can run and shoot them is very okay because if you're running closer to the enemy with 10 5+ dudes, they are going to die right after.

Oh ok, I was reading the wrong entry.
Thanks.

So how is IG this edition? Looks like tanks are even worse than they were in 7th and mech lists will also suffer. Cheaper infantry squads and non-taxed conscripts will make footsloggin the best option. Did I miss anything?

they do get rerolls which is better than 3+ WS and BS, just have to point them at the right thing with quarry
main problem is the typical retinue members in the ministorum section can only ride in rhinos..

Blob-guard is powerful, orders are top-tier and HWT are great. Tanks are mediocre to shit, the Wyvern is alright but not an autotake, the hydras good and the Basilisk is great. If you want mechvets then scions are excellent and the taurox is the far and away best transport we've seen so far in 8th, although that means you have to use the shitty taurox model

Lemans are tougher, but also don't put out a ton of fire power. They are only marginally more expensive than they were before, but keep in mind everyone else's tanks went up in price too, so we're not alone. Most transports now are around 100ish points.

Taurox Prime seems great with how much damage it can dish out.

Oddly enough the Basilisk and Manticore went down in price.

Heavy Weapon Squads are very strong now because of how cheap they are.

Vets can put out tons of fire power what with having so many upgrades possible. It's to the point where you can have 6 out of 10 models having a unique weapon. Sure they don't have carapce and are Elites, but there's an Elite based detachment for that. So if you had a vet army before it's not too hard to recreate it.

There's a big push for Scions since they made them troops and cheaper point wise. The decrease in costs for the unit and their weapons makes up for the fact that the Taurox Prime is slightly more expensive than 7th. It evens out nicely. It's not too hard to use your Vet models as count as Scions either because before people only used Special weapons for Vets and at 10 models, Scions get 4 instead of 3. Scions can also load up into Chimeras now too.

3 Command squads can be loaded up into 1 Chimera meaning the whole thing is filled with special weapons. Same thing with a Valkyrie.

Mech Guard is still solid. I think infantry and artillery Guard is going to be strong simply because of how many models they can take. It's more even when you go Mech Guard vs other mech armies.

I thought blobbling was gone? I cannot see anyway of doing.

>Scions can also load up into Chimeras now too.
technically they always could, if you used the IG codex

You can take 20-50 Conscripts as a troop choice now. So basically you just run Conscripts and Heavy Weapons Squads with support from Priests, Commanders and Commissars.

looks fun

Oh okay, makes sense. I'm not sure I want to give them a transport though. I feel like deep striking is the way to go for them since outside of Scions and Valkyries, I feel like we will get pushed into our deployment zones by melee armies. I watched some bat reps and with how wound allocation works and how much weaker former template weapons are now, it's much harder to push back rushing armies.

Yep, though command squads riding in tauroxes seem like a good idea as well.

3-4 melta or plasma guns make excellent "big thing" solvers, and the taurox itself can afford to move and shoot to get them within their respective sweet-spot ranges.

That's smart, I didn't think of that. I'll probably save the Taurox Primes for the Command Squads as you said.

Has the benefit of keeping them safe from enemy fire, too. Four T3 dudes just ain't gonna last in today's world.

Definitely. Now the debate for me is how many Conscripts and how many Infantry squads. Right now I have my old 30 man Conscript blob and 30 infantry guys painted. Do I do 2 30 man Conscript blobs or 1 Conscript blob and 3 infantry squads.

I can't tell how good infantry squads will be yet.

What's your thoughts on guard psykers and powers? The -2 leadership one looks really strong and the astropath letting units ignore cover seems pretty useful.

AGGHHHH!
ITS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND COME BACK TO KILL US ALL!! PROTECT LADY LIBERTY!

It doesn't specify how many times you can use the Astral Divination ability for multiple Astropaths. Can I take 3 Astropaths and use it on 3 different units? Or is it a one use a turn despite multiple Astropaths?

If so I will take 2-3 Astropaths so I can buff my armor and debuff the enemy's cover.

-2 Leadership is good if you know the army has no leadership buffing, but from what I've seen there are a lot of buffs around for that.

Gaze of the Emperor sounds okay for hordes and decent against 1W elite models. Since people won't spread out their models as much thanks to no templates, that line will go right through quite a few models potentially.

Otherwise I'm just gonna buff the saving throws. 1+ Bullgryn ready to fight and 4+ Conscripts. That will help a lot against Flamers and Boltguns.

Trouble is, now you can take dominions or retributors instead as your compulsory choices, for pretty much the same points.

Only difference being is that you'll have less command points.

The only cool inquisitor is Kryptmann.

solomon lok is cool
greyfax is interesting

kryptmann is definitely the coolest and most interesting inquisitor, however

Pretty psyked for the changes to Scions, here's the first draft of an 8th list I'm building towards.

Idea is the big Scion squad and HWS form a battleline with support from Commissar and 1 Prime, while the smaller Scion squads deepstrike with the other prime.

My question is if the Prime can issue orders to the heavy weapons teams, of they're is militarum tempestus, pretty confused by the , etc stuff in general

I don't believe Tempestors can issues orders to non scions. Most special rules for guard seem to require the unit giving that rule and receiving it (whether it be orders or passive bonuses from many of our characters) require they have the same . All Tempestus Units must use as their regiment, and you aren't allowed to declare other guard units Tempestus Scions preventing much interaction.

On paper I'd say the missile launchers for the Taurox look pricey for their damage output. Let us know how if they work for you.

I suppose lastly if you can free up some points somewhere Astropaths/Primaris are cheap and look like they'll offer a lot of utility to us.

That's one thing I'm kind of sad about for this edition, that Bullgryn and Ogryn don't get orders. Double fighting in the assault phase for Bullgryn would make them quite good.

i miss valeria
Why couldnt we jsut have her instead of greyfax