Wizards of the Coast are crowdsourcing the content for the next splatbook

>Wizards of the Coast are crowdsourcing the content for the next splatbook
Is this a new low?

Why would putting them on DM's guild help? It's not like you can leave meaningful feedback there - there are no tools for it. You can just leave comments and ratings to the whole thing, which could be done literally everywhere else. Shit, they could even read Reddit's feeback.
Is there something I'm missing here? What's the purpose?

>company publishes by far the most popular RPG on the market
>We need help, guys!
Fucking disgusting

Their budget got slashed by Hasbro so there's like 4 guys working on it. Not even kidding, there are 4 dudes total working on 5e.

Anything for the extra shekels.

I think you should reread the article.
They're crowdsourcing testing as per usual for 5e, and part of that testing is seeing what people want to create and buy based on the classes. It's just another type of data.

Knowing what people want to make, and how popular things are on the DM's guild, lets them see in much more explicit terms what people want out of the classes in a conceptual sense.
That's a lot more helpful than reading other sorts of feedback because it helps strip away selection bias overall: only a certain cross-section will fill out the survey in any meaningful way; only a certain cross-section participates on Veeky Forums; etc. On top of everything else, the DM's guild introduces more consistency with how things are exposed and able to be measured.

>company does market research
>this is bad for some reason

They're crowdsourcing the playtesting. The greater bulk of the work is done, but the D&D department at Wizards is seriously like five guys and so they can't do any of their own playtesting anymore, not if they also want to create new content some time before the heat-death of the universe.

>What's the purpose?

The DM's Guild is a single central location actually owned by operated by Wizards of the Coast. Any comments left there are also owned by Wizards of the Coast, therefore if a comment is left suggesting a change that Wizards wants to make, the folks at Wizards can implement the change without having to credit & pay the person who suggested the change.

Because again, it's seriously like 5 guys at this point. They don't have the time to do the playtesting themselves.

>company publishes by far the most popular RPG on the market

The money D&D makes is a drop in the bucket next to what Magic: the Gathering makes.

It's on the DM's Guild for free, you fucking moron. $0.00. How is WotC trying to get extra shekels from it?

>The money D&D makes is a drop in the bucket
And the money any other RPG makes is a drop in the bucket next to what D&D makes

>The money D&D makes is a drop in the bucket next to what Magic: the Gathering makes
among other things Hasbro owns. one more colorful than the rest.

>The greater bulk of the work is done
>Literally nothing changed from 3 months ago, when we first saw artificer and mystic
What did he mean by this?

>you have more fingers than 5e has total people working on it
>"wtf why is it taking longer to get content?"

Given it's all pretend and you're so smart, make up your own races, classes, campaigns, everything. Grab some dice and a few friends and see what you manage to come up with.

Stop making excuses for your lazy ass, Mearls. If you're too understaffed to make content, and don't have any time to playtest it either, what exactly is your job?

Wow 5e really is barren. I mean the only thing they seem to produce is shitty adventures ( all set in the abortion that is the realms) that most of the time are rehashed and all the other crap they make is fancy dice cases.

D&D really has gone down the shitter hasn't it?

I know which one you mean, but they really do have a lot of "this prints money" brands that fit that description:
Play Doh
Monopoly
Nerf
Yo-Kai Watch
a lot of Star Wars merchandising
Transformers
I don't know what their profit share is gonna be like when it comes to the Transformer movies, but considering they're also going to be soaking up tie-in merchandising cash there's no way they aren't sitting pretty.

The point is you expect 5 people to shit out content like it's nothing. So, given it is so easy to do apparently since you expect more out of such a small staff, and you have the same ability to imagine things and write down numbers as they do, surely you should be able to trot out some great content faster than them.

So, go do it. Homebrew up some good shit and let's see how well you do.

Protip: the massive numbers of splatbooks that previous editions published were not actually good for the hobby, nor the company.

>And the money any other RPG makes is a drop in the bucket next to what D&D makes

Yeah, and if D&D is doing so poor financially that they can only afford to keep 5 people on-staff, imagine how poorly everything else is doing.

I know, Transformers come in a lot of different colors these days.

No, I'm not stupid, I know what you're actually referring to. Here, have a Tails of Equestria.

Their feedback from the surveys was probably all over the place. They also want to give the classes time to be properly playtested before implementing any changes.

>If you're too understaffed to make content

They made Volo's Guide, regular UA updates once a week for like three months straight, and are now working on Tomb of Annihilation (and presumably started work on it not that long ago). Presumably there is at least a modicum of playtesting involved in making Tomb, which also takes time. Then there's eating, drinking, sleeping, and marketing (i.e., answering rules questions, going to cons to promote product, etc.)

Tell you what, go make four friends, then the five of you see how long you can pull off the same pace making content for 5e D&D.

Nobody will buy my homebrew. Give me loads of money and I will do it.

Yes the massive numbers werent healthy but the solution is not to go the opposite direction and go to fuck all nothing!

And hell at least those splat books gave us something to hold over and to serve as a launch pad to tinker with. Instead of these adventures that were made up in half an hour after reading an older adventure and printed posthaste

Poor little Hasbro startup can't afford to hire more staff and pay them more. I'm in tears.

>Yes the massive numbers werent healthy but the solution is not to go the opposite direction and go to fuck all nothing!

It's not "nothing", it's just less than you're used to. It's still far and away more than what most RPGs get these days.

>And hell at least those splat books gave us something to hold over and to serve as a launch pad to tinker with

Kind of like the Unearthed Arcana's?

Maybe people will buy it. How do you think DnD was made? People made shit up, wrote down some basic rules and that was that. All games are a "homebrew". You pay them for convenience. Anyone can make up ideas and put down numbers and some rules. And you clearly think it's easy since you're shitting on 5 people not being fast/good enough for you. So go show us how it's done.

>How do you think DnD was made?
It was made before market was saturated
>So go show us how it's done.
$50000 upfront and I will do it

Not to mention there's the DM's Guild, on which you could actually make 5e content and sell it.

>5e
>Made by 5 people edition
Explains a lot really.

I'll take that over Paizo's "We'll pretend that we listen to playtesters but actually we'll ignore anyone who points out that the math is broken as fuck"

>posting a single line of (false) greentext to get (You)s
It's not a new low, but damn if it's not an effective one.

No most RPGs will at least get an actual splat by the second year even if it sold slightly well (see: GURPS, SW, Exalted, Shadowrun, Warhammer, SoTDL, FATE, Mutants & Masterminds) hell even fucking battle century G got a splat

Heres the thing abouf UA for one its not even fucking finished so using is as a pad is pointless because its unstable and two its unplaytested so you cant even have the tiniest bit of a net. With before it was discovering kinks and putting fixes here and there while still enjoying the whole thing. Now those things are fully fucking required because The D&D crew cant do their fucking jobs.

Just do what the other user said. Use the DM's guild to sell shit. If you can pump out such great content quickly, you should make a killing from 5e players looking for it. But you won't do that, will you?

>Here, have a Tails of Equestria
y-you too...

>you should make a killing from 5e players
No, thanks. I don't play 5e. I'd prefer to sell stuff for games I like.

To be fair to him even shit on the DMs guild has some small pushes and marketing. Good content doesn't get you anywhere, in fact its kind of low on the list. I mean fuck look at the bestsellers on the DMs guild.

>bitches about 5e and acts like he can do better and 5 people should be a powerhouse of content creation
>gets called out and told to go do it then
>"i-i-i dont like 5e anyway! id rather do it for games i like!"

My fucking sides.

There's no way in star-spangled Hell I will ever join the DM's Guild, and that's not because I don't like 5e.
It's because of the fact that WOTC would basically own my setting, take half of the money for it, and then pour whatever they wanted into it.
Fuck no, Hasbro. If I publish, I publish on my terms.

>5 people should be a powerhouse of content creation backed by the monster of entertainment industry
>id rather do it for games i like!
Tell me how one contradicts another, Mr. Nosides

>No most RPGs will at least get an actual splat by the second year

Second year...so, Princes of the Apocalypse and the Elemental Evil Player's Companion? Introduced three new races and a number of new spells and magic items. The same year also gave us the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, with several new class kits and an assortment of setting information that new players didn't have convenient access to.

The adventures their publishing ALSO tend to have new content in them, remember.

>It's because of the fact that WOTC would basically own my setting

No one wants to play in your shitty Middle Earth rip-off setting, user. We were talking purely about creating new races, classes, class kits, feats, spells, and magic items. And you knew that.

And before someone mentions that they specifically remind people not to publish their own campaign settings, I don't want to risk a down-the-line "That's WOTC property ;^)" shitfest by mentioning a character offhandedly or putting a magical item in by accident.
OGL for me thanks.

Yeah, well, nobody wants to fuck me, either, but I like to keep attached to my own dick.

I see WoTC defense force has arrived.

>No one wants to play in your shitty Middle Earth rip-off setting
So according to you it boils down to owning well-known IP or working for it with no alternative. I don't any CEOs around there.

Who would that be? 5 people work on the game. And you think they pay shills?

No, you do it for free.

It's always there. That's why WotC have only 5 men on the team working on the product.

>my setting
If it's your own setting you actually can't sell it on the DM's Guild: only if it's set in nonspecific places, mechanical content, or tailored to settings that have been reintroduced to 5e (at the moment only Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft).
Even if you could there's no argument that WotC owns the concepts or content. They don't even own the site, it's just another DriveThruRPG portal.

You could even just sell it on DriveThruRPG using the same account, it would just be less visible and have less fringe benefits available to it. Granted I have no idea what the specifics of those would be, might just be an issue with being lost in the noise.

I foresaw this , and what I'm saying is I don't want someone else to try and dictate what I can and can't put in my theoretical publishing.
>Races I use in a non-specific setting
>Classes
>Class Archetypes
>Feats
>Backgrounds
>Recurring characters
I don't want to get held up. I appreciate the idea, I really do, I understand why WOTC would basically sponsor creators. But for me, I already DM without getting paid, so if it comes down to being able to do what I want without wondering whether I've put it in a DM's Guild file or not or earning more money, I'll take the creative freedom.
If I ever created anything for DM's Guild, it would have to be FR, and I don't want to write FR, I want to write my shitty heartbreaker.

Your argument ju-jitsu won't work on me, user. The point of contention is whether or not 5 guys should be able to churn out reasonably playable content for 5e at the same speed that WotC currently is, or if it should be faster.

If you want me to believe that 5 guys should be able to do things faster, then go out, get four buddies, and start doing it. If you want to make money off of it, the DM's guild is right there.

But unless you're willing to do that - or, failing that, find some other way to demonstrate the speed you think playable content should come out at is a reasonable expectation - you're just bitching.

Hey, wait, I actually have a brand-new image that is perfect for you.

>The point of contention is whether or not 5 guys
The point of contention is whether or not 5 guys working for the biggest company of the market should rely on their owner or ask for help from the side and crowdsource. Hasbro can easily afford more employees and better conditions by themselves without any crowdsource platforms.

A lot of companies can afford a lot of things but might not let their employees do it, and in any event it's not the fault of the 5 guys. This whole thing traces it way back to someone saying:

>Stop making excuses for your lazy ass, Mearls.

It's something out of Mearls' control.

>and in any event it's not the fault of the 5 guys
Yes, and by supporting their higher-ups business practices you won't ever improve their conditions. You support this strategy with money then you perpetuate the cycle.

I'd argue this is good, design by committee is terrible.

Which still doesn't leave it as Mearls' fault, and still does nothing to suggest that under similar circumstances you and your four friends could churn out playable content at any greater speed.

Mearls and crew are working as fast as is reasonably possible, QED.

So, are they going to steal all the submissions' copyrights this time?

>doesn't understand copyright law
>can't google
>can't even read
>decides his post was worth sharing on the internet

So I guess that's a yes?