I'm looking into the viability of Darkest Dungeon as a tabletop role playing game...

I'm looking into the viability of Darkest Dungeon as a tabletop role playing game, with discreet modifications to improve speed of play, custom character design, and social interaction elements to increase opportunities for role play.

Has anyone else tried this? How successful were your results? Does this sound like a exciting opportunity?

Will it simulate the perma death by forcing players with dead PCs to make another and work on rebuilding their combat ability and relationships?

Have you taken a look at the Torchbearer RPG? It should work fine as a base for a tabletop rendition of Darkest Dungeon; building off of that rather than from the ground up will probably save you a lot of time, effort, and headache.

Oh my, yes.

Looks interesting. I really want it to have the same feel as Darkest, callbacks to the original Bleed/Bluff/Blight, Quirks and Diseases and all.

Also, I have exactly nothing to do this summer, so this project is a way to keep myself preoccupied so I don't go stir crazy.

>when you want to play with the lights on, but the other players want a dark run

Unironically be sure to have a look at GURPS for how it handles its flaws and such for use as quirks.

Anything can be a ttrpg. Someone made fucking Hotline Miami one. This is one medium that you can smash almost anything into.

There's seriously a Hotline Miami RPG ?

>I want to play RNG: The Game
There is not a single game in existence with such shitty RNG, combined with clusterfuck of rules, percentage chances, flat numbers and shit progression.
If there was a tabletop RPG emulating how Darkest Dungeon works, it would made even fucking FATAL look good when compared.

Look up Torchbearer for simplified/condensed dungeoneering stuff.

Look up Strike! for simplified/condensed power-based combat stuff.

Yeah, it's like two pages.

I don't think it ever got played, it's kinda weird.

Well with how weird the game is, I have trouble understanding a TTRPG for it

>I don't think it ever got played, it's kinda weird.

Yeah, this might be one medium you can mash anything into, but that doesn't mean you should, or that every attempt is anywhere near successful.

Well, I mean, Veeky Forums has made a game called Car Lesbians. And another about... crab truckers, I think? There are lots of weird homebrews out there.

Yeah but the point of Hotline Miami is a weird story with a tight gameplay, translating that to TTRPG seems quite hard, especially if you try to make a group of that. But why not eh ?

Well, the RPG I saw was focusing on giving back the thrill of brutal firefights, and used a sort of real time system.

I guess it's one of the things the game focuses on, but I just don't see the point in playing that.

I'd probably come up with some sort of system where the payers all control one character, Everyone's John style, with the other players (who aren't "piloting" at the time) controlling the world and trying to fuck up John.

Also, some system in place to "retcon" events where you go "we thought X happened, but it was a drug fueled vision and what actually happened was Y".

Those are 1-2 page stuff where you have 2 stats (crab and trucker, car and lesbian) that you roll for everything. Check out lasers and feelings to see an example.

>Those are 1-2 page stuff where you have 2 stats (crab and trucker, car and lesbian) that you roll for everything. Check out lasers and feelings to see an example.
Car Lesbians is like 20 pages. It's simple, but not THAT simple.

4th Edition D&D would be a perfect starting point as a base engine.

Viral is also behind the more functional Engine Heart, which got kickstarted in part with help from Veeky Forums.

He did a hack for CoC to play The Dark Tower (newfags won't get this) on, too, but I don't think that's 'published' as it were. FUNYUNS.

Unending possibility to yuk it up as the GM. I can just imagine having a button to suddenly turn off all the lights and bursting into loud monologue as you try your best to flap your jowls and spatter saliva everywhere Wayne June style. "BUT WE WERE IN A REALM OF DEATH, AND MADNESS!"

GET OUT

Strike! works better because it's lower complexity and there's more room for survival stuff.

FUNYUNS were from the campaign that used the CoC rules.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess. There's even a fan-made addition for them as character classes.

The high lethality/insanity aspect means that the players only control the adventurers, much like the Veeky Forums, so dieing isn't that bad.

You might want to check OSR and the funneling type of play.

There's an adaption of Lamentations of the Flame Princess for that.