ITT: we use the description of our names to describe who we are supposed to be

ITT: we use the description of our names to describe who we are supposed to be.

>First Name: The name you are more commonly referred to by is your Face name. Everyone can tell in an instant on what you do/who you are for a living.
>Middle Name: The least known name is your Hidden name, only reserve to those you get to know you. Hidden skills are a commodity to everyone.
>Last Name: This is your Surname, your family trade, and heritage. Every member of your family is brought through this way as a way of life. Whether they keep to it when they get older is up to them.

To worldbuild, every group of five surnames will join as five great families to create their city or nation across the globe. We'll discuss how they affect the each other as more nations arise.

I'll start us off.

>Free Man
>Lover of Earth
>Defender of Mankind on the Sand

So the first city-nation will have a military suited either along their beaches or deserts.

>Of Laurentum
>Doorkeeper of the Inn/Layer of Tiles
>Noble Ruler

I don't really know where to go with this

>Brave and Just
>Born of Dawn or Bright
>Great Champion
Neat though somewhat generic

Am I the only one confused by what this thread is trying to accomplish, but still curiously watching?

I always like starting with the surname to get a picture on how you grew up and then work on the first and middle names.

You were born into a life of nobles and really grew into the lifestyle. So much so were seen as the prideful Romans of Laurentum, home of the original Latins. But, your high life gets the best of you sometimes, so you like to settle down occasionally and do some homely things that you enjoy like owning and tending to an inn. Your brought up your own inn from the ground up as your pride and joy.

Iunno man.

We found our hero of legend.

Now our first city has a family of desert military, a family of noble rulers, and a family of great champions.

>King
>Victory for the People
>Son of the Mountain

So a great miner king?

> Courageous, god-fearing man
> Constant, Steadfast against hardships
> Born from the earth, creator.

I feel like i would be the creator of some kind of religious movement based on revering the Earth. A religion that will probably survive in time.

>Defender of man
>God is gracious
>One who is steady in war

So a paladin basically

Being a Son of the Mountain doesn't mean miner, just someone who came from a mountain or a large, mountainous man.

When you come from a city surrounded sand and rock, who wouldn't?

>Defender of Mankind on the Sand
>Noble Rulers
>Great Champion
>Son of the Mountain
>Born of the Earth, Creator

I like it.

>The man who was born on fire
>The victorious
>The one from the rocklands

I'm some kind of champion or important figure related to volcanoes, probably. Or someone that was born in the rocklands, survived it's harships and won.

I still am confused about the theme of this thread.

Forgot to write my other surname.
>prince of graceful sight.

Where are you guys getting these descriptions?

So we already have a theme going on.
What should we name our desert city?

from the internet, my dood.

D, G, N, S, B. D'Gensib?

>Manly
>Dark Water
>Son of Kay.

A mach descendant of an Arthurian Knight who's secretly a pirate.

Typing my name into google and looking for etymologies

>Wild way
>Who is like God?
>Owner of the fertile green pasture down by the river near the sea

What do I even do with this, I mean cool that sounds like a Druid Jesus, but what does OP expect from me?

City-Nation 2:
>One Who is Steady in War
>The One from the Rocklands/Prince of Graceful Sight
>Son of Kay
>Owner of the Fertile Green Pasture Down By the River Near the Sea

Almost done with this one, but what's with the user with two surnames? If its a special situation, care to explain?

It's common in my country to have two surnames, or whatever it's said in english. There's some folk that have up to four.

>Great Tide
>Victor of the People
>Stone Wizard
I had to ask my uni prof uncle about the last name because Google turned up fuck all, and even he lead with "a friend of a friend". Pretty neat if true though.

>God of War
>Leader
>Den of Wolves

So a royal family, that has stuck together for a very long time and place a large amount of emphasis on cooperation and physical force?

>Bear
>Who is like God
>Bright and clear
Goes well with the user above me, but a lot more pious and devout.

Maybe a city state based around families with Animal Heraldry, each serving a different purpose?

> asked of god/hears god
> of Laurentum
> lives near the mountain of Holy Day

...so uh, guess we're a bunch of Italian mountain shamans?

>Ireland
>Stubborn; "to pull"
>A knight's apprentice
>Son of Will

>Wellspring/River source
>Made greater by God
>Of 55

Some weird numerology cult maybe?

So a stubborn Irish squire from a long line of knights. Or maybe you're a changeling, and your knight knows but he likes you better than the boy your faery parents stole away?

City-Nation 2:
>One Who is Steady in War
>The One from the Rocklands/Prince of Graceful Sight
>Son of Kay
>Owner of the Fertile Green Pasture Down By the River Near the Sea
>Stone Wizard

What do you guys make out of this one?

City-Nation 3
>Den of Wolves
>Bright and Clear
>Lives near the Mountain of Holy Day
>Son of Will
>Of 55

And this one?

>Victory for the people
>Glorious and shining
>Mercenary

Uh.

>Glorious and shining
>Mercenary

Oh fuck me. No.

Also:
>Victory for the People

>Victory for the People
Perfectly describes Griffith post-Tower of Conviction

I wonder how a nation filled with mercenaries would look like.

>Fire's town
>Beloved
>Iron

So a very popular smith I guess

Renaissance Italy probably

Do all people in English speaking countries have middle names?

Medieval Switzerland

God dammit.

Name sake is actually from pic related.

Though I'm also a bastard child with no blood relation to my family. Instead of Irish and German, my genetic roots are in Spain and Sicily.

No but they're pretty common.

>Crossroads
>Great
>Of Bordet
I have no idea of what to do with this.

>Free Man
>Rock/Stone
>Yahweh is Gracious
>Flagstone

So, I dunno what to make of this

Also, yes I'm a two-middle name fag

>Twins
>Estimeed by God
>Birthmark of The King

I'm not sure about the first name, but I like where this is going.

Shit, it's suppose to be of Bourdic, not Bordet.

>Big guy (so far it's accurate)
>Jesus' Sacrifice (being sacrificed for someone else's stupid mistake is pretty much my life)
>Grove situated on a Moor (never seen one)

>Instead of American and American, my genetic roots are in Mexico and America.

Fixed that for you. Fucking Americans.

>First Name: The Golden
>Middle Name: He who divides
>Last name: The King's army

... So I guess we're a bunch of wealthy soldiers intent on never ever letting the world unite under a single banner.

Taking a crack my City-Nation's description.

Conjoined by a uneasy union between the Tribes Along the Wastes, their struggle to survive was no more as there 50 year long battle for control ended in peace for a fruitful tomorrow. The Sand Shields guarded the mountain for years whilst thriving in their deserts. The Nobles of the Peak are the ancestors of the first combined tribes, a testament of their duty to protect their children in these harsh lands.

A special few of those children became great champions, blessed by the wills of the warriors and survivors to carry on their will to live. They all reside in high cliffside of the Mountain Men's cliffs and mesas overlooking the city at large. Without the natural barriers of their mountains, these people would've died off ages ago. And finally, The Order of Soil. A church, sometimes seen as a sect, of proclaiming the greatness that is the Earth we love on and all It provides for us. With their prayers, they provide miracles to guide the sandstorms away. And with their ire, it's said they can call upon their earth's might, elementals of sand and stone to crush our unseen enemy.

City-Nation 4
>Mercenary
>Iron
>Of Bourdic
>Flagstone
>Birthmark of the King

City-Nation 5
>Grove Situated on a Moor
>The King's Army
>???
>???
>???

Guys, go nuts on describing these places as of this were a Civilization thread.

What country is this?

>Noble Birth
>Greatest
>Respect and Affection

There's not many defining traits here.

I suppose a family of patrons and philanthropists who define a person's worth by what they do to help others?

Expanding on the Order of Soil, as i was its maker.

The Order of Soil was founded quite recently, less than a century ago, when the wars began, albeit its roots go much deeper. In fact, revering the Earth was rather common in the Wastes, and had been done for centuries. However, no sort of religious order had ever risen. It was when the wars began and the people feared for themselves that more and more began believing in the Earth's secure stability. It was a wandering monk named Constantius whom had the idea of uniting all these people under a single light, so that their faith, together, would be stronger. And so, the Order of Soil was created. The priests soon discovered that when one places his belief in the Soil, it shall, in turn, grant a gift. And so, the Miracles of Sand were learnt and passed along from priest to priest. When the wars ended, the Order of Soil estabilished a foothold within the capital, and soon began thriving there.

>god is gracious
>have no middle name, I could use the nickname my parents use with me, which is Cat (like the animal)
>peak, summit, climax

I have zero idea what this means.

Obviously a clan of catgirl Temple Prostitutes

A feline that had climbed the tallest mountain and discovered the Light of God Himself, bathing his entire being with holiness. Congrats user, you're no mere mortal!

>Longbowman
>A man like any other(empathy and equality
>Seaborne travellers

Hmm so I'm an awakened cat?
I hated furries all my life but it turns out that in the end
John was the furries

Intriguing. I'll go with what the other user suggested though.

I like it. I'm one of the Sand Shields. And if my middle name means Lover of Earth, I guess I follow the religion to heart. You have my protection, brother.

Mine is apparently after translation
>Beloved
>White
>Enclosure, (or Castle)

Well I'm now the local fast food vendor.

>Victorious/Victory in war
>Graciousness
>One of you or Dishpan apparentely

what does that make me

City-Nation 5
>Grove Situated on the Moor
>The King's Army
>Respect and Affection
>Peak, Summit, Climax
>Seaborn Travellers

Chivalrous knights with a navy that lives on summits and peaks as well as takes things to "THE CLIMAX" of every situation.

>>First Name: stealth-mind
>>Middle Name: voyager
>>Last Name: the beast charmer
>
>

How does any or that scream fast food vendor? Your family has come from or worked on an enclosure or castle. You yourself are a beloved person, its pretty hard to hate you. And White being your middle name could go from literally wearing white or it could lend to small parts of light or purity.

You and your family have and always will be one of the people, always at their side and with their ideals. You, yourself are a renowed warrior and soldier as well as a man of grace, showing kindness and dignity to all you see. A noble soldier of the people.

>First name, my "face": Gift from God
>Last name, my family: From the lowlands
>Middle name, my hidden trait: He who overthrows or supplants

>tfw I'm a JRPG villain

You could always overthrow or supplant for a good purpose. Or just your purpose.

White castle foo

City-Nation 4
A city founded by a band of mercenaries from the far away kingdom of Bourdic. This nation has a vast iron industry and flagstone is the most commonly used building material. The ruling house of this nation has a distinctive birthmark that every member has even those bastards the king forgot about. I'm thinking this city has had a fair amount of bloody succession wars since it's creation

M.I.O.F.B had a pretty brutal history if everyone and their mom had a birthmark. Do you think the mercenaries born and raised there would find enough work at home to assassinate all of the bastards for the king?

>ruler of the people
>bearing christ
>son of Hugh
if we want to get more poetic then
>son of heart/mind/spirit

I remember last time we did this! I'll come back again, see where my name ends up this time.

>Old (From the previous cycle of the world) Serpent God of Venus, Fire, and possibly Lightning
>Beautiful Face
> Son of the Sanctified

I've also got a second middle name in there that means "Sacred Name".

>Gift of God
>God's chosen
>Swamp or Fen

There's my contribution for the swamp people.

I don't know. Maybe the M.I.O.F.B (Have to find a better name) allows their soldiers to act as soldiers of fortune on their own free time, so long as they don't go against their country or it's interests. The ruling king probably has his own men, maybe like the Byzantine Empire. The king/emperor hires foreign mercenaries as personal bodyguards because they're more trust worthy then their own men which any bastard/sister/brother/mother/fifth cousin could bribe with enough gold, women, drugs, and prestige.

How are the nations going to be named??

Okay, so;
>Small red-head
>Little fire
>Holy man

Uh, a wh40k priest?

>The greatest
>Humble
>Spring (not the season)
I don't know

City-Nation 6
>Enclosure/Castle
>One of You
>Beast Charmer
>From the Lowlands
>Son of Hugh (Heart, Mind, and Spirit)

Please take a crack at desceibing this one.

The most humble herdsman from Fertile Green Pasture Down By the River Near the Sea?

You guys must. I wantes everyone to discuss everything about their nation from the name, to the city structure, beliefs, etc. But no one's budge. Just come up with some ideas for names and people will follow suit.

For now, I've been using an acronym for each of the five surname's first letter, but that doesn't seem like its going to fly.

A fortress located in the lowlands, filled with tamers of the exotic animals in the region. The people are very friendly and centered on the community. The founding principles of their scholars and priests are that of the heart, mind, and spirit. That is to say, they study psychology and theology alongside the biology that comes with their beast taming renown

No user, you dont belong in CN2, you belong with these guys:

>Son of the Sanctified
>Swamp/Fen
>Holy Man
>Coiled Spring
>???

You're missing one more family house to join your City-Nation.

>enthusiasm
>victory of the people
>small town in Scotland
Enthusiastic Scottish revolutionary?

I like this. Should each family or priest following have a different main species to aid them? I was thinking beast charmer would ride giant rooster mounts because it would fit family crest and second meaning of surname

>A hunter
>little king
>farmer
So a king or prince that gave it all up to become a peasant

First off, i think we should call it Nascolind (say it out loud).

Then we're a Scottish - based swamp people founded by a holy man and his son who built their town in a swamp created by a coiled spring. The spring should have some sort of deific significance as well.

You have it backwards. You're from a family of farmers. When you were born, the people around and some unknown force saw you fit to be a king and hunter. When you grow up, your parents a d the people around raise you in such a way. We'll, the best farmers can do that is.

I could see ancestral breeds going along with the major families. If the others have an animal crest then they should mention them. Son of Hugh has an owl atop their crest, which is rather fitting for scholars and priests I think

>Conqueror
>Priceless
>Of The Sea

I'm guessing boats will be involved!

>Sad
>Calm Free Ocean
>My last name was made up by my great grand parents to dodge the mob in immigration.

So I'm like a sailor from a disgraced crime family?

>Graced by God/God is Gracious
>"Who is like God?" (meant as a rhetorical question, no one is like God)
>Frequents Churches/Warror

Alright, I think I can piece this one together.

>Family heritage of being, if not necessarily Holy Warriors, at least warriors that diligently follow their faith and rituals thereof.
>A personal path of seemingly humble priesthood to praise the divine. And why not? This family already has well-known ties to the church.
>"Who is like God?" It's a question that no one can live up to. It's a burning question hurled at the corrupt and impure. It's an Inquest. Makes sense that this would be the Hidden name.

>Coiled Spring
It was the water one

>First Name: Songbird
>Middle Name: Gateway
>Surname: Messenger

So I'm a courier-slash-travelling-bard then. Seems good.

>tfw my name doesn't follow this anglo naming conventions and cannot really be adapted to them

Is this for the sixth nation

Are we Venice? I think we're Venice.

Ok, City-nation 4, or shall be known as Miofb for the moment to make things easier. I'm going to try to flesh it out a bit more, so get rid of anything you don't like.

The City Miofb was founded by the Blackwood, a very large, but disgraced, mercenary company that originated from the kingdom Bourdic. No one truly knows what caused the Blackwood to become disgraced and forced the whole company to leave the kingdom, but some sages believe the founding father Jorm Blackwood killed his employer, the king of Bourdic, in a fit of rage when the king insulted his homely wife. Miofb was founded near by a rocky coastline, filled with grassy plains and hills, and small mountains. The mountains are filled with iron, making the city of Miofb the greatest iron supplier in the area. The majortiy of the buildings in Miofb are made with flagstone, a tradition that was brought with them from the kingdom of Bourdic. The Miofb are a fairly aggressive and militaristic nation, but thankfully for surrounding nations, their aggression is mostly turn inward with bloody successions wars since the last king couldn't keep his dick in his pants. However, Miofb has been known to allow it's soldiers be used by other nations for their wars, for a price of course. Sometimes the price is gold and jewels, sometimes the price is the hand of a daughter or son, and sometimes the price is a favor.

Never owe a favor to a Miofbnesse. Never.

Forgot picture where their surround features look like. I'm thinking something close to looking like Greece.

Thats seems right, God, Gold, and sweet sweet salt water.