How did you pick your favorite chapter?

I see favorite chapter thread on here quite often and I don't know how people pick. Whenever I think I've found a favorite I find something new about a different chapter and the process starts all over again. How did you find the chapter that speaks to you most in such a large and diverse roster?

Looks

Space wolves were my original favorite because both their looks, and their demeanor. I always loved their "We would rather open fire on an inquisition ship than the civilian vessel they want us to destroy" attitude.

Passed them on to my wife though bc she's a big wolf nut. I've got some ultras now and I'm going to pick up Death Guard when 8th drops.

That's not counting my other armies (Crons, AdMech, Tau, Knights, Orks, a few fantasy armies, wife has DEldar too). Honestly the chart you posted isn't that bad if you know you want SM and you're not sure which flavor. It's a good starting point.

I used to read Warhammer Monthly when it was in print all those years ago. When I saw Dan Abnetts Iron Snakes strips something just clicked, cool, simple, chapter icon, interesting characters, Eldar getting fucked on. Then I found out about the Inferno short stories and seeing that chapter and the characters expounded upon cemented it all for me, this was the army for me. I then started repainting my space wolves and I've been playing them ever since.

I chose Blood Angels because I really wanted to play something melee-oriented.

Also, their aesthetic. Their homeworld is a post-apocalyptic wasteland and their armor is just pretty.

That said, I play a successor chapter who are a mix of dark angels and space wolves in looks. Lots of furs and robes.

I always used to browse the forge world store back when i was a tyranid kiddo.

this made me fall in love with the red scorpions who I play today

when im not praising the chaos gods with my vraks renegades army or my black legion

Salamanders. Picked them 'cause I love their lore and their colour scheme

well i first saw the blood angels and i loved their fury and rage but then i saw flesh tearers and i they had more fury and rage

I like AdM so their buddies the Iron Hands were the easy choice.

I like salamanders a lot but my favorite chapter is crimson fists due to the fact that Rynn's World was the book that got me into 40k

Secrecy, Huge baroque rock fortress, knights in robes, favourite colour is green.

Dark angels were a natural choice, also because gay

Iron hands
Least shitty marines I could find when I was going to play the deathwatch RPG
Ended up liking them so much I have a full iron hands army.

> i got chaos....

my favorite is Dark Angels because of their monk-like aesthetic.

Blood Angels because I like red and jump packs

Mantis Warriors. I liked a lot of the Badb war stuff and I'm a sucker for bugs in general, but when I found out I could paint camo stripes and turn them into space marine Kamen Rider, I fell in love.

Plus the bullet time Battle Haze is super cool.

salamanders I just really like a chapter of chill bros that just really really like fire and forging shit

in 4th grade best friend got into 40k and started collecting smurfs. he then sold me on it and originally painted my first 11 models as smurfs, but then convinced me I should play Black Templars because they had rules in Armageddon

>DA: Why so many questions anyway?
toplel

Death Guard is my cult, when I was like 13 years old, I was given a box of these guys by a really cool dude who ran a very small hidden away game store in my town that went out of business. He gave my brother some space marines. I wouldn't have been into them really, but because they were all I had I just read about nurgle and they started to grow on them.

For Space Marines I like Salamanders because they apparently treat civilians with respect and I've kind of a softspot for that kind of shit. That and Dark Angels because I like their whole struggle with trying to track down the fallen angels and make them repent or die, even if they are kinda assholes as a result. I just like that they have that flaw.

This.

>no Blood Ravens

Shit chart.

I like sharks. Charcaradons are my fursona.

Read their fluff and thought it was cool as fuck.

/thread

1st Legion is Best Legion...

Also, "watchers in the dark" are interesting.

Been DA since 6th edition.

I read Vulkan Lives. Ive got a soft spot for powerful warriors defendung the weak and yearning for the day when they wont have to.

I do hate Nightlords now though

>Flesh Tearers, Black Templars, and Crimson Fists
Nice. The only successors that matter.

Space Wolves because I like to fight in melee and their blue/grey/white colour clicked well with me.

"Where'd you get that relic?"
"It was a gift"
-> Blood Ravens

>get suckered in by matt ward
>read lore
>realize matt ward needs to stop flossing with Roboutes pubes
>stay because there's no place like Rome.

seriously, fuck you matt ward.

Salamanders. I really like the color green, dig their good guy morals, and like the notion of an army building their gear.

Read throuth chapter lores and came across lamenters. Cried. Favorite chapter

I would love them too, if they weren't the most masochistic piece of shit on the planet to paint.

I like the white scars

Yeah, but you can play them SUPER aggressively and it's fluffy.

I've always liked the "snowflake for the hell of it" characters, especially when they're also anti-heroes, so when I heard about Soul Drinkers I fell in love immediately. And of course purple and gold are just classic badass colors.

You don't pick the chapter, let the chapter pick you.

A lot of sallies brother over here (myself included).

high five!

Here you go!