What would a sci-fi setting where biblical angels return to cleanse the earth of all 'sin' be like?

What would a sci-fi setting where biblical angels return to cleanse the earth of all 'sin' be like?

Hardmode: 70% of the population is already gone and the rest are holed up in cold-warring city states with their own agendas

40K but with some words switched out.

I'd imagine a lot of the current religions (Christianity, Islam etc) have their own city states believing the other religions are responsible and thinking they just need to wait it out

Assuming you take what the mythology says at face value, we would lose hard.

If not, then it would all depend on just how strong these angels actually are if we aren't taking the Biblical myths as realistic depictions.

But I'd assume it would need to be some sort of gnostic idea.

Muh iron chariots.

Aquinas and his buddies' fanfiction really upped the powerlevel. Canon material isn't quite so hardcore.

Gosh, I really don't know.

Normal mode is literally my DM's current campaign. Mind you, the biblical aliens are constructs created by Gabriel, who is an alien tree, to protect us from external threats. Michael, another of his race, wants to exterminate us because Gabriel violated what is essentially his races prime directive uplifting humanity from the Mud (a crime they refer to as Shaitan).

Also spirits and gods and fairies and shit are there as alternate dimension thought beings similar to the warp, their powers are being harnessed to fight the angels that Michael has usurped control of.

There should be at least one faction that wishes to analyze and utilize the power of these divine beings.
Hey they're just angels, not gods. You're allowed to dissect them.

This and it would be motherfucking fantastic. Especially if after His return Jesus decides that 1. humanity needs to colonize space and 2. all aliens are but tools of Lucifer.

>yfw somebody decides to market a setting like this and GW tries to sue

>Hey they're just angels, not gods. You're allowed to dissect them.
For science, comrade!

Salvation war go and stay go.

The angels would be like "Do not be afraid". The humans would be like "AHHHH! AN ALIEN! SHOOT THE MOTHERFUCKER!".

Biblical angels aren't the prettiest things to look at.

Wait what? You mean this isn't biblical?

Nope, this is ... hot, I guess.

The angels that look like pretty people with wings are based on Greek/Roman traditions and deity imagery, such as the goddess Nike.

Biblical angels were scary at best, such as the angels that came warn about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, who looked like men, but had something particular to their looks that made Lot fall to his knee at the sight of them.
But there are other angels that are described as eldritch abominations of undescribable forms, made out of circles, wings, eyes and fire.

>Implying the degenerates on Veeky Forums wouldn't bang an Ophalim or a Throne if they had the chance.

>That angel
>4 holes.
I see no problem.

God nuked Sodom for shit like this.
You're lucky he is retired now.

Short. Biblical angels are omnipotent.

They're obviously not.

>>Short. Biblical angels are omnipotent.

Facts not in evidence. They went up against pastoralists. Jacob wrestled one for 24 hours straight, though admittedly they can shatter bones with a touch when they get bored of that.

Fine, they're not omnipotent, but they're like the Q from Star Trek - the things they can't do are incomprehensible to humans.

You just described Neon Genesis: Evangelion. Veeky Forums actually created a system/setting for this. Ad;Eva. Look it up.

>the things they can't do are incomprehensible to humans
Descriptive, not prescriptive. After all, the scriptures were put to paper by ancient peoples.

What is Evangelion for $500, Alex.

>creates man in his own image
>humans will stick it in literally anything
God of the Bible = Zeus?

Wrestling? Shattering a bone wit a touch? Not sure what Bible you are reading but it is all pretty explicable.

That's XCOM, baby!

I know, I know I've let you down.
I've been a fool to myself.
I thought that I could live for noone else.
But now, through all the hurt and pain, it's time for me to respect
the ones who love me more than anything.
And so with sadness in my heart, I feel the best thing I can do,
Is end it all
And leave forever.
What's done is done, it feels so bad.
What once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again! My world is ending.

I wish that I could turn back time, cause now the guilt is all mine
Can't live without the trust of those you love.
I know you can't forget the past.
You can't forget love and pride!
Because of that, it's killing me inside.

It aaaaaall returns to noooooothing, it just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling dooooooown~
It aaaaaall returns to nooooothing, I just keep letting me down, letting me down, letting me dooooooown~
In my heart of hearts, I know that I can never love again.
I've lost eeeeeverything. Eveeeerything!
Everything that matters to me matters to this world!

"Fear not, for I am an Angel of the Lord!" cried the inhuman voice of the being that is dozens of burning wheels made of eyes spinning in more dimensions than a human can comfortably perceive. A man across the street bursts into flame suddenly and is reduced to ashes which blow away in a gentle breeze. You do not know if he is dead in any sense you can comprehend anymore and the thought fills you with terror.

When an angel says "Be not afraid" it's an irresistible command that removes your ability to experience fear, not a request.

So SMT?

Why would the angels come down to cleanse the Earth when Step 1 of the apocalypse is humanity turns on itself and destroys every civilization on their own?

I guess the only reason would be to simultaneously remove all WMDs at the start of the invasion so the planet doesn't get poisoned.

Angels look like WHATEVER GOD WANTED THEM TO LOOK LIKE.
Some were terrifying. Some looked like beautiful humans, no wings or anything. Michael looks like Jesus. Angels came in numerous different shapes, innocuous and grand and beautiful and mundane and glorious and frightening all. They are tools for God's hands, and thus come in countless styles.
The Ophanim, or Thrones, which people love to reference oh so much, appeared only to Ezekiel that one time. They are not nearly the lead representative of angels.

Isn't this just Evangelion?

Angels you say? Will they actually look human or will they be an eldritch abomination that cause people to go to insane?

Shin Megami Tensei Games.
Especially IV and the devil survivor spin offs.