D&d 3.5 and Grappling

so, how does it work exactly?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Poorly.

/thread

First you roll a d20. Then you punch yourself in the dick.

Well, not really, but that's less painful than the actual 3.5 grappling rules.

Came here to say "it doesnt" but you beat me to it.

If I recall correctly the complicated part is figuring out who's on top, which I THINK is done with a pair of opposed grapple checks, then whoever is on top gets to do something, which can include breaking off the grapple, attacking, or just holding the other guy super hard to make it harder to grapple out...I think.

Couldn't they both sort out who's going to be the top before they start to avoid confusion?

d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple

I mean, it's complex, but it's all right there.

how about a monster who in Full Attack, has 3 Unarmed Strikes as a monk and 2 claws + bite, how many times can he attack while grappling?

You sort of do. Basically you grapple, and if you fuck up bad enough somebody gets pinned. Then there are actions that you can perform when you're pinned, when they're pinned, or any time. Its a clusterfuck.

If memory serves in 3.5 you can make a primary and a secondary, and flurry of blows is a separate counts-as full attack. So, chances are unless the monster has a ton of monk levels he's just going to get his 3 unarmed strikes with dual claws as a primary, and one attack with bite as a secondary. Thats easy.

Nobody knows, really. Even the 3E designers couldn't explain it properly.

wrong, he gets 3 unarmed strikes as primary, and ALL natural weapons as secondaries.

how about while grappling?

>its all right there

lmao no.

there is a reason devs wrote All About Grappling part 1, 2 and 3

>those bloated attack bonuses
That's why 3.PF is outdated garbage.

You should never play a wh40k rpg.

dude this nigga has 42 STR

dont tell me you play 5.0

WH40K's setting is so ubiquitously well-known you don't really need a ruleset specially for it. I'd get some generic rules game like Cypher or Fate and tell my players to roll with it. That's assuming I want to run that WH40K and not incorporate one more piece of it's lore into my DtD:40K campaign.

Back on OP's topic: Back in the days of running 3.0/3.5 we just winged the grapple and it was fine. Ditch the rules the moment they become cumbersome, buddy.

but my autism requires to know how it works.

I do DM it to attract new players mostly, easiest way to get unfamiliar nerds hooked on RPGs and then help the good ones move on to better games. Grappling in it is shit too though, but for different reasons.

>You tell DM what your character does
>DM tells you what your enemy does
>You roll some dice and add some numbers
>......
>Encounter over

>WH40K's setting is so ubiquitously well-known

You might need to get your head checked. 40k is such a small niche that very few people know of it, and while it's known in the game community, very few actually know anything of it aside that it's got blue men in tin cans and they spell orc wrong.

The loudness and obnoxiousness of 40k fans may get you to think otherwise, but they're not actually that large of a population all things considered.

"no"

i am running a group of first timers and we are playing 3.5.

they are loving it.

5.0 is the normie bait system.

roll an opposing strength check and pretend grappling rules don't exist

Why are people still posting in this thread? The entire topic was covered within the first 3 posts.

>told the system is literally used as normie bait
>complains it is normie bait

Can't use unarmed strikes while using claw attacks. You *should* be able to use 3 natural attacks+bite(at -5, half STR) though.

its a shit tier normie bait system you insufferable cunt

It is. You also can run it and play it with so little prep compared to most rules-heavy systems it doesn't even matter.
Your point being?