I need awesome religious quotes for a Hell-themed campaign I'll be running soon...

I need awesome religious quotes for a Hell-themed campaign I'll be running soon. You don't need to limit yourself to the Bible- any awesome quotes from the Quran or Talmud or what have you.

I'll start with two of my favorites:

"For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?" - Revelation 6:17

"...Broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat" - Matthew 7:13

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pRE23YfSvc8
combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Grigori/Quotes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistis_Sophia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life, and realize there's nothing left."

but that's just perfect for an Amish like me
you know I shun fancy things like electricity

How the fuck are you supposed to run a Hell-themed campaign when the Bible mentions Hell like 3 times. Just man up and read Inferno.

Stare at the most weebie player and recite angerly.......
“ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Matthew 10:28 “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”

"Vanity. Definitely my favorite sin."

But yuri is okay, right?

According to a homophobic black pastor I saw on TV years ago, yes.

>A man who lies with another man should be stoned... I'm just saying, it helps.

does the law saying anything about purest love? No? then go right ahead.

yet from those flames
No light, but rather darkness visible

There are those who say to God "thy will be done", and those to whom God says "very well, have it your way".

I think he's asking for quotes from there user.

Here's some good ones I like.

"The path to paradise begins in Hell" -Inferno

"From a little spark may burst a flame."

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

And of course you'll need:
"All abandon hope, ye who enter here."

Here's one I've always liked from the Buddha.

"Surely if living creatures saw the results of all their evil deeds, they would turn away from them in disgust. But selfhood blinds them, and they cling to their obnoxious desires. They crave pleasure for themselves and they cause pain to others; when death destroys their individuality, they find no peace; their thirst for existence abides and their selfhood reappears in new births. Thus they continue to move in the coil and can find no escape from the hell of their own making."

Also:
"It is better to conquer yourself Than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, Not by angels or by demons, Heaven or hell."

And of course:
"Heaven and Hell are imaginary creation of ignorant minds."

If you want some fire and brimstone, the Quran is full lf them.

"Soon I will cast him into Hell Fire. And what will explain to you what is Hellfire? Nothing does it allow to endure, and nothing does it leave alone! Darkening and changing the color of man! Over it are nineteen (angels as keepers of Hell)." (Quran 74:26-30)

>the Bible mentions Hell like 3 times
Um - no? It's a lot more than that, though they don't necessarily use the 'h' word every time.

OP, use a more modern translation. KJV doesn't have the immediacy to cause goosebumps these days. Try the NIV or ESV translations; you can find them on biblegateway dotcom.

"Prepare chains! For the land is full of bloodshed, and the city is full of violence." - Ezekiel 7:23

"if they ask you, ‘Where shall we go?’ tell them, ‘This is what YHWH says: “‘Those destined for death, to death; those for the sword, to the sword; those for starvation, to starvation; those for captivity, to captivity.’" - Jeremiah 15:2

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.
(this is actually about a foreign king whom the ancient Jews despised, but it's been reinterpreted to be about Satan)

Yet I am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

The wages of sin is death

Some things just sound a lot more powerful in the KJV.

Isn't KJV the "standard" Bible?

Only for Anglicans, and I think most non-evangelicals use a more modern translation.

Yes, short answer. Of course it can get complex from there but basically, yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=pRE23YfSvc8
Can't go wrong with the classic.

Woe to all, for our dwelling place is distant, and we wander through the domiciles of Chaos.

My power was lost in places which were not mine. Affliction besought me, and the merciless ones attacked me without cause.

Although they call me crazy I care not, for thou art my helper, my strength, and my saviour.

Thy will be done, Oh Light of Lights. I bless the glory of thy greatness all the day and through the darkness of this night.

I pray do never turn away thy light. Give heed to me, and spring thy traps upon my enemies when I cry out to thee

For it was said they had become like those peculiar demons, which dwell in matter but in whom no light may be found.

Turn not thy face away from me; incline thy ear and hear me when I shall cry to thee in my affliction.

For the days of my life have vanished like smoke, and my bones are parched like ash, and let all my impurities be as fuel for that fire until nothing remains but the Light alone.

Paradise Lost is great for epic religious quotes and really makes Satan look like a tragic figure. Very good inspiration for angelic and demonic characters.
>"Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven."
>A mind not to be changed by place or time.
The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heav'n of hell, a hell of heav'n.
>"Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?"
>"Farewell happy fields,
Where joy forever dwells: Hail, horrors, hail."

Even most evangelicals. It's a fairly small minority that insists on KJV as the standard.

However, it is certainly the most memorable, "classic" version. There is definitely an association of Biblical passages with archaic language, and that's all KJV.

Yeah, because most English speakers are Anglican.

This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

You want to look to the various less canonical writings from 2nd Temple Judaism and early Christianity in the eschatological genre.

From the Book of Enoch:

Then I looked and turned to another face of the earth and saw there a valley, deep and burning with fire. And they were bringing kings and potentates and were throwing them into this deep valley. And my eyes saw there their chains while they were making them into iron fetters of immense weight.

And I asked the angel of peace who was going with me, saying, “For whom are these imprisonments chains being prepared?”

And he said unto me, “These are being prepared for the armies of Azazel, in order that they may take them and cast them into the abyss of complete condemnation, and as the Lord of the Spirits has commanded it, they shall cover their jaws with rocky stones. Then Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, and Phanuel themselves shall seize them on that great day of judgment and cast them into the furnace (of fire) that is burning that day, so that the Lord of the Spirits may take vengeance on them on account of their oppressive deeds which (they performed) as messengers of Satan, leading astray those who dwell upon the earth.”

Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little.

Wisdom.

Well, this is psalm 82, where God talking to Humans:

>6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
>7 But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

"one of the princes" is most likely a reference to Lucifer. Not exactly a hellish, but i think its useful when describing fallen state of humans.

Relevant for paladins, zealots, and clerics.

Yes no maybe so.

KJV has become standard in a lot of fundamentalist or otherwise conservative congregations who have attached a special spiritual significance to it, claiming it is alone is divinely inspired and other English translations are corrupted. This is despite the fact that the KJV book of Acts at one point says the Jews are celebrating EASTER, rather than the correct PASSOVER.

The KJV has a lot of beautiful flowery language that makes it very important for study of English literature, because it's one of the most influential books in the history of modern English, but translation methods have long since passed it by. The New International Version (NIV) is one of the most popular translations of the modern era. It's easy to read but tends to make Paul's letters kind of confusing.

Evangelical congregations that don't insist on the KJV often use the English Standard Version, a revision of the Revised Standard Version (itself a very solid translation that posed the first real threat to KJV dominance). It's quite good, though it can sometimes translate a little too freely, as though trying to encourage certain viewpoints.

The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) has become the standard among biblical scholars. It translates from some of the earliest sources and strives to be as literal as possible while still being clear. It's particularly notable in that the translators wanted to produce something suitable for not only Protestant use, but also Catholic, Orthodox, and Jewish use, consulting theologians of each group to make sure the translation was suitable.

If you absolutely insist on translating as directly as possible with as few mistakes as possible, there's always the New American Standard Bible, but the translation's so literal that it's really hard to read.

The repetition of "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" in Revelations is honestly one of my favorite parts of the Bible.

"On the night of their betrothal, the wife shall open to the man as the furrow to the plow and he shall work in her, in and again, 'til she bring him to his fall and rest him then upon the sweat of her breast."

Not actually a biblical quote, but sure sounds like it could be something from the Song of Songs.

We have ourselves a scholar, Veeky Forums

Did you study ministry perhaps or just religon?

Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ..I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

"If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it."

"And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." - John 1:5

“Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.”

I can never tell whether this is news or some sort of daily show equivalent

>rationalization of shitty circumstances
>rinse, repeat
>jeez, dad, I didn't ASK to be born
>edge

If you want a wacky time you can always read the Message

Song of Songs is way hotter that fuck you
>neck is ancient euphemism for dick
>"his neck is like a strong tower I go to for refuge"
>navel is same for pussy
>"I will drink her navel's sweetness"
Also
>"she is like a tree with bountiful fruit at the top"
>"i will climb that tree and grasp that fruit"

"No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven, unless its roots reach down to hell."

O God, The Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.

"And said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?"

Yuri is okey more or less

I want nothing more than to be a bayonet; a bayonet wielded by the hand of God. I would have been happy to be born a storm, or a divine threat; a mighty explosion or even a terrible hurricane. A divine force of nature without heart or pity. And if this relic can transform me into such a thing...then I am happy to abandon my humanity.

Hell is a place dominated by lies, right? So when the characters are in hell, you need to make sure that all the Bible quotes are wrong. Mistranslations, false memes, movie quotes, etc. Or sophistical, self-justifying misinterpretations of Bible verses that you never actually quote.

I didn't read the thread yet, but I think Dante's Inferno would be a better source for hell quotes.

Jeremiah 51:20 “You are my hammer and weapon of war: with you I break nations in pieces; with you I destroy kingdoms.”

Quran (2:216) - "Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But God knoweth, and ye know not."

kek

For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains

Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell

For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things

2 Timothy 4
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time for my departure is close. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 There is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all those who have loved his appearing.

Luke 17
22 Then he told the disciples: “The days are coming when you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man, but you won’t see it. ... 24 For as the lightning flashes from horizon to horizon and lights up the sky, so the Son of Man will be in his day. 25 But first it is necessary that he suffer many things and be rejected by this generation. ... 32 Remember Lot’s wife! 33 Whoever tries to make his life secure will lose it, and whoever loses his life will preserve it. 34 I tell you, on that night two will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other will be left.

37 “Where, Lord?” they asked him.

He said to them, “Where the corpse is, there also the vultures will be gathered.”

1 Corinthians 15
31 I face death every day, as surely as I may boast about you, brothers and sisters, in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32 If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus as a mere man, what good did that do me? If the dead are not raised, Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.

Hosea 13
14 I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

Isaiah 54
16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.

17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.

It's silly quotes taken out of context in order to make Islamic nations look bad.

Fuck trees
>And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
>And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

No really, fuck trees
>And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
>And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
>For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Ye olde
>Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Random passage
>That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Classic
>The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Dunno
>And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
>For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

TemptingJesus
>And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:

>Then Samson said, "With a donkey's jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey's jawbone I have killed a thousand men."

Ecclesiastes 3:1-3:8
(too long for this post, basically, a time for everything)

"I didn't come to bring peace. But the sword"
Mathieu 10:4

"Fear not the Dark my friend, and let the fest begin!"

"No matter where you are, death will reach you, even if you are in a fortified tower"

Quran, 4:78

It's Israeli propaganda

Pretty much.

Though oh man are they ever memeable. That Shiekh talking about how Sponguebob gained his house through Jihad kills me everything.

>"one of the princes" is most likely a reference to Lucifer.
If we're talking interpretation of the actual text and not artistic license, it's important to note that "Lucifer" was used to refer to a king of Babylon, not Satan, and that Satan ("The Adversary") was seen by the Jews as an angel who tested Man's faith on behalf of God, rather than a demon who tempted Man out of malice.

The Christian conception of Satan did not exist in early Judaism, although I'm not sure about modern Judaism. I do know there is still an ongoing debate among rabbis about whether it is possible for angels to fall.

The book of Lamentations has some really hardcore passages.

"Say not of those killed in service of God, 'they are dead.' Rather, they live, though you perceive it not."

it is interesting that he also quoted Gnostic texts in the leaked beta, even going on a rant about the demiurge
combineoverwiki.net/wiki/Grigori/Quotes

So I am a huge geek in the study of different religions and scriptures so I have a TON... But it would help me narrow down what I have to know a bit more about the campaign you are running.

"O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom?" -Baha'i Hidden Words

"You are gods, for you are sons of the Most High" -Psalm 82:6

I can't stress this enough

Psalms is FULL of METAL quotes

137:9
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy infants against the rocks."

144:1
"Praise the LORD, who is my rock. He trains my hands for war and gives my fingers skill for battle."

1 Samuel 15:3

"Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation--men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, goats, camels, and donkeys."

This is probably the wrong thread to ask this, but it might lead down the proper track.

What the hell is "Gnostic" is this context? the demiurge thing. I keep thinking it's the whole Gnosticism about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit being entirely separate entities, but I'm guessing it's something a bit more in-depth.

Can someone Illuminate me?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistis_Sophia
A few of the quotes appear to be from this.