dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
Are you excited to explore the land of Chult in all of it's glory, and acquaint yourself with all of the peoples and cultures living in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've already played two Chult campaigns in the past that were pretty cool, but it'll be nice to back to it in 5E since my current group is largely too new to remember all the old Chult source shit.

It better have rules for Jungle Dwarves wearing mud-and-hair armor and blowdarting dinosaurs.
>ABDELFATAH
>not ABCDEFATAH

I, for one, am thankful that dinosaur necromancy will be a major feature of this new storyline.

>everyone knowing Chult exists now means that every Druid everywhere will be begging to turn into dinosaurs because "my character totally went on vacation to Chult and saw raptors and a t-rex"
yeah i bet he had a summer vacation to the frozen north and saw a fucking crag cat too

I'd like to play Chult instead of my DMs next sandbox, which is most likely going to be generic sword coast setting with different names

Going by older editions, not a lot of human cultures actually DO exist in Chult and there's more monsterous races rather then humans and demihumans there.

The jungles were just so ridiculously hostile that overall population was kept low, and the largest cultures on the peninsula were actually areas OUTSIDE of Chult proper that built around the jungles, not in them.

Oh man I'd like to be in one of your games. I wonder how unimanigative a person can REALLY get if they try. Have you ever though of awarding advantage or some kind of bonus for well-executed tactics. No, your autism won't allow you to do anything than what the rules tell you and play the most "optimal" minmaxed builds.

Has anyone else ran Rise of Tiamat and Xanthals tower. Did your group have difficulty solving the maze puzzles?

My players are nowhere near close solving the first puzzle, at this point they think the challenge rooms are the real puzzle.

I'm pretty sure that post was sarcasm. Did the last sentence not tip you off? That's a clear reference to 4E detractors' favored gripe.

Can i GM with only the players handbook?

ur a dummy

You can get all the books in the trove in the OP

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most perceptive person but there's a ton of people being serious with very similar rhetoric.

yea that wasn't what i asked

If you don't want to pirate (which is way easy), you can at least use the free DM's basic rules

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

They're the ones designing the game.

No dumbass, either get the books somehow or fuck off.

It's totally possible, but I'd reccomend at least checking them out

Sure, as long as everyone only fights animals or reskinned enemies with animal stats

Will do

> Want to be Necromancer
> Don't want to be dark and edgey

Why can't people picture Witch doctor type of necromancer..? The one that use black magic to help people around them (and curse their enemies).

Is this right?

If a Warlock has Devil's Sight they can see normally in no light, but dim light confers its normal disadvantages.

No they can see in both up to 120 feet. Its why Devil's sight is good, if dim light imposed disadvantage it would be fucking garbage.

Nevermind what I said, WotC are fucking retarded. Dim light doesn't work with an ability that grants you true darkvision because a candle is on in the backround.

Why do they hate warlocks this much?

>We got a 3.pf player into the party
>Pacifist Cleric, doesn't use his weapons, got in love with the stupid idea of wielding two shields
>Combat is basically kicking/shoving people while we kill them
>Can't figure out how he enjoys it at all
>Haven't catch up that walking in diagonal is the same thing as walking, just like irl
>Thinks a looted blacksmith can make a Shield +1
>DM was a goof and gave him Expertise on Medicine at 1st level
>He enters every room asking "is there any check..."

Tell me about your players, /5eg/

Let's talk Tomb of Annihilation. What are you hoping it has?

Pic related gives me hope that it'll be good.

Hey guys, one of my friends wants to run a one shot at level 20 today for shits, as far as melee characters go, what's the most fun I can have since I'll have all my abilities? Paladin? Fighter? Something multiclassed?

Does anyone here use the rule that dim light/using darkvision in a dark place means disadvantage on perception? I've never noticed one of my DMs using it

Tracking light conditions is a pain.

I figure OP is some /pol/fag trolling but I really do appreciate all the black fantasy art you post.

I'm excited for the subclasses mostly, looking how they'll balance Ranger, the subclasses they'll fuck over from UA, how they'll balance TWF

Because witch doctors are also evil?

so with all the streams, have they shown any new PLAYER supplement yet?

i know they said artificer and mystic for AL soon, what of the revised ranger?

But they're not though. Witch Doctor is basically just a slightly less PC way of saying medicine man or shaman.

Sounds dumb as fuck senpai, so no.

Just in case you guys haven't seen it, here's some art from Tomb of Annihilation. It's pretty solid stuff.

Was the Stream of Annihilation successful?

I'm fucking looking forward to Tomb of Annihilation.

Well if all your witch doctor does is dispense herbs and do sacred dances then he's not much of a necromancer is he? You wanna play with the bad guy powers you've gotta accept people think you're a bad guy.

Light Domain, Tempest Domain or War Domain?

Tempest for the Shatter meme.

Who knew Mike Mearls was such a good DM.

Shaman use spirits and black magic to curse/hex/vex their opposition too. But they are still revere by their community. They are kinda neutral.

Being a necromancer doesn't mean dark, edgy or evil. Expand your mind, user.

I guess it was? I was surprised it never was over 7800 viewers at one time. Now, I'm sure quite a few were in and out, but still.

It's not that they hate warlocks, it's that they can't understand proper game design

With such a punchable face it's no surprise no one knew.

You could tell from his rulings on sage advice. Crawford is the no fun allowed guy

What's so good about shatter? Is it just the instant 24 base damage on a level 2 spell when combined with channel divinity?

Why would you want to punch this face?

Working on some backstory for my Totem barbarian and I think I'd like to make him a descendent of an Uthgardt tribe as we're playing in Forgotten Realms. Thinking of going either Tree Ghost (straight up Bear except has Speak with Plants instead of Animals / Beast Sense) or Thunderbeast (2 Bear then Tiger attunement) because they seemed cool.

The question is, can ritual casting to speak with random vegetation actually be practical?

>Crawford is the no fun allowed guy
Crawford is just giving the answers people want. It's not like people ask him questions hoping he will say, 'It's open to interpretation, just do what you want'

Yup, every lightning spell actually, but shatter is the first that comes to mind.

when

is

the

FUCKING

SOHEI

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR FUCKING EVER YOU SAID IT WOULD BE RELEASED MEARLS

How do I run a W40k game with 5e?

Yeah and the wider world thinks its abominable. If you want to be a kooky caster who throws off some curses and does necrotic damage you'll probably be fine but nobody's going to let you build an undead army or anything like that.

You don't. 5e is too forgiving to players what with death saves for the 41st millennium. Unlike psychic powers, magic is also generally safe. And d20 combat really doesn't represent the vast arsenal of 40k equipment very well

Play Dark Heresy, it's built for it man.

Barbaric champions vying for Chaos' favour on some distant, forgotten world.

>Speak with Plants
Animals is good because they will probably know more. Plants is good because it normally isn't too hard to find some sort of plant life somewhere and get some info

>be me triton
>adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths
>don't have darkvision or blindsight

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY SEE DOWN THERE WOTC?????

Availability didn't cross my mind, yeah that does seem decent actually, ty.

They don't.

>plant life somewhere and get some info
I always wondered what kind of info you can get from a plant. It doesn't see or hear like a humanoid. It only knows if there is water down below. What else?

Crawford is giving the answers autismos and rule-lawyers want.
Which of course corresponds to good GMing if you go by Veeky Forums, the place as full of gameless neets who obsessively read rules because they don't actually play, as Veeky Forums is full of those who don't actually lift.

Exactly. They fucked up tritons. In order to see in extreme depths, darkvision doesn't cut it because there is no light there. Tritons should have blindsight but because that's OP, they could have a light fucking cantrip just to be able to see and fight.

Is it inherent in this ability?
>Guardians of the Depths.

>Adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths, you have resistance to cold damage, and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment.

With bioluminescent torches?

I really want to play a mystic but he seems so broken that my friends and my DM will condemn me for picking a class that may be too strong. In truth I don't really care about how strong and I just kinda want to play a mage variant since I enjoyed my time with the wizard.

No. It doesn't mention anything about expanded senses, unless you homebrew it and allow them to see normally. However, if they can do that, what's stopping them from seeing normally in total darkness?

Yeah. That's why tritons can't use a shield or a two-handed weapon down there. lol

>and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment.

Underwater Visibility
Visibility underwater depends on water clarity and the
available light. (DMG, pg. 117)

>darkvision doesn't cut it because there is no light there

Yeah, think how the fish down there must feel about it. Best they've got is some glowy fish and maybe a little shimmer from above. That's life for ya. A light cantrip on themselves would be a cool bioluminescence thing though.

A bush would know if someone had recently pushed through it. A tree would know someone had pissed on it. The grass knows where people walk. Depending on what kind of outlook your DM has on it, it's possible plants might "talk" to nearby plants as well, allowing you to easily track down where people have camped or walked and when over a fairly broad area.

I mean, you're not going to get in-depth information, like "Some guy with black hair and a bunch of scars on his knuckles camped here with no fire last Tuesday night. Weird, huh?" but there's still useful information they can tell you with the right context. A particularly good tracker could probably tell you the same if you're only a few hours behind, but the edge is in the speed you can do it and the delay allowable.

Personally, I'd rule that it gives you advantage on Survival checks to find edible plants, clean water sources or to track "unusual" passers-by in an area - so people in remote places, goblin raiders, that kind of thing but not deer or other local animals. Basically just as a ribbon, and as a DM it'd give me a good way to throw plot hooks out while travelling.

Blindsight up to 60ft in water only, duh. They feel things moving in the water, how it flows, etc.

>You can question plants about events in the spell’s area within the past day, gaining information about creatures that have passed, weather, and other circumstances.
You can also get them to do tasks for you, although I can't really think of much they can do for you when they can't uproot

>darkvision doesn't cut it because there is no light there
Darkvision works in total darkness

>Underwater Visibility
>Visibility underwater depends on water clarity and the
>available light. (DMG, pg. 117)
Even if the water is clear, there is no light in extreme depths.

>Blindsight up to 60ft in water only, duh.
There is no such thing as circumstancial blindsight. Sharks have it, so tritons should have it too. Or a light cantrip (although it's kind of lame for an underwater race).

Talk to your DM about it.

Then they should have at least 60 feet radius darkvision.

>Yeah. That's why tritons can't use a shield or a two-handed weapon down there. lol

I don't think they're going down there solo.

Some will have shields, others two handed weapons, and some will carry the torches.

It's much like how humans can go into caves and dungeons without having darkvision or blindsight.

>It's much like how humans can go into caves and dungeons without having darkvision or blindsight.
They spend their whole lives in darkness and can't see a thing by themselves?

>l.a.m.e.

they are unlikely to need to carry shields or two handed weapons their whole lives

Whats the best druid to play the classic robed celtic druid. Basically nature wizards who arent hobos.

Replace the classes, races, backgrounds and equipment with more 40k appropriate ones.

All casters must make a CHA save dc 10+ spell level or miscast, each time they cast a spell. Maybe allow 'ritual casting' (cast time * 10) with no miscast chance.

Death save is reduced to one d20, 1-5 = death, 6-10 = permanent wound, 11-15 = temporary wound, 16-20 = no wounds.

Reward inspiration often, and allow inspiration to turn a failed death save into a 'no wounds' result.

Who says they do?

They're adapted so that they can go there, but that's because they keep watch on the oceanic trenches, caves, and other dark and forgotten places that Sahuagin, Kraken, Merrow are forced to dwell in.

They're probably more used to the twilight realm of the Mesopelagic, where the light still reaches. And they then light their cities with various corals and anemones (as seen in the pictures for the race)

Also, the lack of Darkvision's been their burden even since 2e.

(And I'd say that the real problem with them is their magic, rather than anything else)

nature cleric

Cricle of Land is "Mystery of the Druids" to a T.

Probably a Forest or Grassland druid. Just make sure you are ok with the spell list they because it isn't the most amazing one. If you don't like conjuring other things to help, you probably won't have a great time

I'm hoping it's only loosely inspired by Tomb of Horrors. I'd rather the final Tomb be a well designed dungeon than a rehash of a 40-year-old punishment for Gygax's group.

Where do I start in regards to finding a group online? I've only just started reading about D&D and want to try it, preferably with my girlfriend (who has been doing it for 5-6 years) though she said some people are going to 'red flag' her, whatever that means.

Also, how do I Paladin? She wants to play a male human Warlock, can I be an edgy Paladin or something?

I used meetup.com and found a couple decent groups, but I live in NYC and it might be harder to find one outside of big cities

Just learn the rule, join your girlfriend's group and show actual interest in the game. Better to play with people you know than random strangers

>5e
>running a gritty realism variant
>trying to buff up strength characters so I make it so that characters standing up within 5ft of someone provokes a AoO
>fluff all shields used with a rapier as bulkers and say that they only get +1 AC against ranged attacks
>I hope this will force spell casters and dex characters to work together to uses rough terrain to their advantage when fighting brute strength enemies
>dex fighter just jumps in and constantly attacks over and over with no variation to his plans
>the closest he comes to mixing it up is adding his manoeuvres
>gets shoved to the ground and fucked up constantly
>barbarian quits session one because a long rest is 1 week so he can't rage anytime he wants without thinking about it so the only front liner is the dex fighter and a str monk
>str monk is the only person that seems to get how to work around the system and uses his turn to grapple and shove people instead of spamming basic attacks
>spell casters act completely independently of what everyone else is doing and after at least 7/8 sessions have yet to buff a team mate or set them up and instead just spam cantrips and tune out during battle
>battles don't happen that often in my campaign as I wanted to focus on roleplay and world building so pretty much anyone who has an attitude or does something they don't like instantly gets attacked as if nothing has real world consequences and as a result they have to escape from every town after a few nights stay and one member has even broken out of jail once
>they pretty much have to camp outside in the wild for a week if they want to recover their spell slots because they can't do downtime without getting bored and wanting to kill something
>this is the second party I've tried a roleplay focused game with and this is the second time no one has enjoyed it
>people keep asking to play pathfinder instead but I can't fucking stand PF

finding another party is pretty much out of the question at this point. what now?

Online groups are cancer. Find an IRL group.

If your girlfriends actually been playing that long she should be able to answer those questions.

Never make edgy characters they're shit.

By red flag she means they'll.make rape jokes at her expense. > See never playing online.

Paladins are pretty simple to play, you hit things till they die, heal yourself or allies, and follow the tenants of whatever the god you picked.

I mean, as in playing online. I'm currently over in Japan and she is in Canada right now.

She's not with her current group and they don't do online stuff. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Finding an IRL group is pretty hard, I'm in country Japan and the only groups are in Tokyo, which is about 2 hours on the train.

Have you tried not playing D&D?

>What do?
You're a shit DM, Kys asap.

What are the best Gish builds people have found in 5e? I am not a metagamer at all, I usually play the healer/skill monkey/comic relief. But for my next character I think I'd like to do some serious damage. I am looking at playing a Gish because I've played pure caster and pure martial but never really mixed the two (with the exception of Paladin if you count it.)

I have 2 character concepts that I like with enough to make a backstory of each. I was looking at Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3 or Paladin 3/Warlock 2. Fighter seems like a good choice but we roll stats in my group and I feel I'd be spread too thin then.

Tl;dr recommendations on builds for a Gish and spell choices. More than likely between 5th-7th level.

Pic semi-related

>>barbarian quits session one because a long rest is 1 week so he can't rage anytime he wants without thinking about it so the only front liner is the dex fighter and a str monk
Barbarian as a class cannot function on 1 week long rests. He was well justified to leave.