Terrain thread. Post terrain

Terrain thread. Post terrain.

Other urls found in this thread:

infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/31249-neo-shanghai-suzhoujie-slum-big-update-pic-heavy/?page=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1/2

2/2: A pair of minefields I made for Bolt Action out of plastic sheeting, toothpicks, and the barbed wire pack that Warlord Games sells.

I bought some resin kits from Armorcast recently, really happy with them. Great casting quality and quick to assemble. Heres a pic of one I made with some red bull cans. The stripes on the can came from a roll of tape I found at a hardware store. Its super useful, just measure and cut to size.

Heres another one that uses a soda can. These kits are really nice for fast terrain, I plan to order some of the ones that use larger cans later on.

Maelstroms edge makes a neat sci fi bits and parts sprue that lets to make buildings really fast. I saw some pics of these online and wanted to make some. They're plastic gutter parts for houses, they have a nice shape amd with a little bit of plasticard make for some neat buildings.

Warlord Games' "Ruined Farmhouse" kit is also real nice.

One more pic. I have around 4 more of these to make. Hoping to get some of my friends into some sci fi skirmish games, so I'm trying to make some nice terrain.

Living in a place like that would crush my soul and turn me into a soulless husk, so I give it 10/10.

That looks great!

Basing material is just the sand from outside my house.

I've got one more, used some large drainage pvc parts to make some kind of industrial vent. Sorry if the file is fuckhuge, posting from my mobile.

postan my green rug again because I've not made anything else in a while.

I dig it, the colors are nice. How did you create it?

Did you make that or is it a kit? Looks good, what games do you plan on playing with it?

Drybrushed lightly then combed cheap acrylic craft paint (yellow and greens mix) through a fake fur sheet, trimmed with scissors and things. Pretty much it, not exactly complex but time consuming. One of these days I'll try and do it better.

Part self made, part sort of kit. The finer detail stuff like pipes and panels is stuff I cast up using Hirst Arts moulds, the rest of it is various junk like boxes, skewers, tubes. Was used for games of 7TV, a weird but fun thing that I think only appeals to those who suffered through British tv of the 60s/70s or their repeated re-runs.

One of my favourite pieces despite it's utter simplicity. Or possibly because of that.

Thats really awesome, I've meant to get some hirst arts molds for awhile.

It looks great

Do, if nothing else they're stupidly cost-effective for generating things like crates instead of having to buy them. Even accounting for the cost of materials and moulds and discards from the worst miscasts I was down to mere pennies per crate (let alone the rest of the mould) after a short time, compared to cost of resins which could be quite literally a 100x more.

Orchard thing I remembered to document the construction on.

This was thrown together in a hurry with next to no planning so there's a ton of room for improvement, especially the base.

Main ingredients:
Bag of nails about an inch long.
Tiny magnets bought cheap on ebay.
Coffee stirrers nabbed from a McDonald's (or your food/drink place of choice)
Cheapass vinyl floor tiles from a discount store.
Some brown felt.
Clump foliage.
Some sort of texture paste.

Stick nails to sticks, stick magnets to base and possibly underside of sticks if the magnetism of the nails is insufficient.
Magnet alignment is key so pay attention.

Throw some texture paste on everything, paint and flock. Try to not get the sticks glued to the base. Might have to bulk out the bits in-between with spare vinyl tile. But hey, they're self-adhesive so no need for more glue. There's bound to be some smarter way to do that bit though.

Glue clump foliage to the nails.
Stick felt to the self-adhesive side of the base because it makes for a nice non-slip surface.

Bam, cheapass orchards that you can remove strips of trees from in order to properly fit models, but not worry about having to re-align everything.

Could certainly be scaled up, bigger sticks, stronger magnets, nicer trees. I mean it's magnets on sticks with trees on top.

This is my current WIP Chinese cyberpunk slum for infinity. I'm always like 'okay, for this piece I'll dial down the level of detail to be done quickly', nnnope

Still tons of detail to come. Most importantly a heap of Chinese shopsigns. If things go well I'll experiment with doing lighted big not-neon signs

The low life aspects are already pretty much there. I'll have to follow through with some high tech stuff to anchor it in a cyberpunk. Thinking about random big generator things sticking out of some high wallpoints, with cables.

I've got a bunch of other stuff, all part of my 'Neo Shanghai' project. Like this scratchbuilt container crane.

Many more pics here

infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/31249-neo-shanghai-suzhoujie-slum-big-update-pic-heavy/?page=1

Plus it makes a great thing to trick players into stepping/sitting on.

I love this! When I build my grimdark 40K board, I'm going to have a lot of graffitti.

The level of detail on that is awesome. Keep up the good work user

Guess I'll repost some of my stuff.

Is that the Aliens Terraformer reactor?

These buildings look so good user, you made them? What kinds of games do you use them for?

Did anyone buy any of the stuff from Reaper Bones 3? Ive got the graveyard set on the way, cant wait to check that out.

Thanks!

Yes, they are pretty much entirely scratch built. Foam core, balsa wood, dirt, plastic-card, the windows are resin molds and a couple random bits (the door handle is from a piston on Privateer Press's old Thunderhead model).

> What kinds of games do you use them for?
I intended the old houses for WarmaHordes, though any fantasy game will do.

I try to make the sci-fi stuff generic enough for any non-40k setting. If I want something for 40k, then I want to stylize it a lot more.

I've been on he fence about buying some of the bones shipping container by reaper.
They are useful for almost anything except fantasy games.

I'm going to post this, not because the people posting pics need it, but for the people passing through who want their tiny buildings to look nice.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

There. You are now 90% as good as the people posting pics in this thread already.

Are you going to do anything about that corner that's spit apart? It really bugs me, but everything else is looking great. Did you just freehand paint the graffiti?

WiP for my Tyranid board.

It looks better when it's right-side up.

It took me forever to get it aligned right. I'm not changing it back.

I'll take care of the corner, in time. The graffitis are freehand, but the designs I found on the internet.

Progress, did first steps on the base and the entrance area with some holo-bellbuttons. On many parts, my paintjob is really rough and quick, else I never get done. Cool details which I'll add later (like trash) should distract from that

That's some cool shit user, I read through that modelling thread and I'm seriously impressed - what do they all look like together?

Thanks! Good question, I'll have to do some grouped up atmo-pics later. Probably gonna post some into the thread. I expect the crane to maybe look out of place with the habitats. I need some transitional scatter terrain, maybe some fence.

A big fence (maybe mesh or spiky, topped with razor wire?) would make sense - often there's not much between a yard and the streets around it, just a lane and some fencing would be enough gap - get some containers, a site entrance (maybe a hut?) and you'll probably be good - just situate the side of the nicer building without windows towards the yard

Tyranid terrain that is vaguely obscene. Perfect!

Does terrain that's also a unit in your army count?

Heretic for scale

What's the holo-sign, acetate or something?