What does Veeky Forums think of the Inheritance Cycle?

What does Veeky Forums think of the Inheritance Cycle?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2bscok/could_yall_please_explain_to_me_why_the/cj8il6a/
web.archive.org/web/20070501183115/www.anti-shurtugal.com/starwars.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not good enough to be liked.
Not bad enough to be memed.

Had potential to a good (good not great) series.
Author should have gotten an editor to knock some sense into him/get him to cut out all the stupid shit/do some research into how stuff like pre-gunpowder battles work.

As it is, the first one is a solid 7/10 the rest can be skipped.

It's a good book series to get young readers into fantasy

Pretty meh overall

Besides, everyone knows that Bartimaeus is the patrician's YA choice.

Possibly the biggest waste of paper ever conceived by a non-government organization.

>That image

Did he forget that he basically wrote out a scene like that close to the beginning of Eldest?
I remember him trying to flirt with a sorceress in a dwarven bar and Saphira objects to it.

I was not surprised when I found out he was like four years old when he wrote it.

>As it is, the first one is a solid 7/10 insomnia cure
fixt
I'm kind of jealous that it would probably take significant effort for me to write the most generic fantasy story to get as much money as this Pastrami guy did.

>The BBEG was not Eragon's dad.
Well, that was actually a twist

Mah Djinni

In his defense he wrote it when he was like what, 15?

>the BBEG

Ugh.

Do you even need to ask?

This guy knows what's up.

>Ugh
Tch.

>>the BBEG
>Ugh.

He stunningly became a worse writer in the later books, leaning more and more on overblown descriptions and purple prose. And the payoff of the struggle against Galbatorix is pretty much exactly what you would expect and nothing more. Just a very, very generic fantasy setting.

>Tch.
Pssh

>Pssh
Hmph.

Ein?

Fucking worst piece of shit

Except he wasn't.

The age he is credited as having been when publishing is the age he was when he "first started working on his book". Exactly how you define first started working on depends on how far you can push it.

That's because it's star wars.

>Hmph
Fufufu

>Fufufu
Ara ara!

Shamelessly copied from ursula le guins Earthsea and I'll never forgive it for that alone.

For some reason I keep associating it with The Sword of Truth.

>ara ara
Nani?!

>Nani?!
Yamero

That was a quite shitty show, but that thinly veiled BDSM episode was hot

>Yamero
Masaka!?!

This guy knows it.

Oh my god.
I thought I was the only one who noticed.
The scene where Eragon is learning magic from the old elf is lifted directly from Garion learning how to use the W&W from Belgarath.
Down to the descriptions of how magic works, gathering energy from everything around you, and the old guy exclaiming "not from me!".

There are a few things I think they did really right, or at least that I enjoyed
>Psychic magic AKA magic users being able to just completely destroy the memories and psyches of those less trained
>Energy cost and the ability to store energy in crystals for later use
>Heart-of-hearts in dragons being the source of their magic and them being able to retreat into them
>Magic Language and the rules concerning lying
>The nature of magic as it pertains to the language (e.g. "Protection from evil" and "Protection of evil" or whatever the mess-up was)
>The description of Galbatorix's sword, which for a dumb-ass kid, having white being equated to bleached bone was eye-opening

Baka yaro

almost forgot
>Using magic without words is possible but incredibly dangerous and requires real focus
>Villain learns the ancient word for magic, giving him meta powers.

myafricanamerican.jpg

Oh, don't worry, he doubled-back and changed it so that Brom was actually Eragon's father.

>Author should have gotten an editor to knock some sense into him/get him to cut out all the stupid shit/do some research into how stuff like pre-gunpowder battles work.

That doesn't happen when you only get published because your parents own the publishing company.

Je vous demande de vous arrêter.

Am I the only one who didn't like how that series ended? It's been many years, but I remember after the spirit that was using Gladstone's bones went on his rampage that the series went downhill.

The majority of the magic system is shamelessly ripped off from LeGuin.

Eh, I thought the ending was satisfactory desu. Plus the skelly part was great.

Desu desu desu

Bartimaeus had such a strange yet compelling setting, and it would probably work pretty well for an RPG, if only we knew more about it.

Better question, what did Veeky Forums think about Fablehaven?

It was nice to see Nathaniel finally get the last word in though.

Offensively mediocre and derivative horseshit that is elevated to tooth-grindingly awful based on the fact that it was literally published because a homeschooled autists' parents were well connected in publishing.

It's at least fun to make fun of, and nobody really takes it seriously anymore.

The series that should get people angry about Is sword of truth, even if it does have scenes more hilariously bad than inheritance could come up with

One day I'm going to inflict the movie onto my friends.

You don't do that to friends.

They're not his friends

They bloody well won't be after that.

They started it, dragging me along to watch The Last Airbender movie.

What are you talking about dude they never made a movie

Show them no mercy.

Release the Twilight.

Though ignorance might be bliss confronting the horrors of the world will make you grow.

THEY
NEVER
MADE
A
MOVIE

It exists, the sooner you accept that fact the sooner you can start to heal and move on.

THEY NEVER MADE A FUCKING MOVIE YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT I WILL DRAW A PENTAGRAM WITH BLOOD FROM MY DICK AND INFLICT A CURSE ON YOU

If you're a teenager with little knowledge of fantasy it's a completely fine introduction to the genre.
To anyone older/more familiar with fantasy it's shit because the the writing is shit and it is extremely derivative of other stories, while generally not doing anything interesting with what it steals.

I really liked the concept for this but ultimately I didn't really enjoy the story or the characters or find the prose super compelling so I never read past the first volume. Does it have anything to recommend it later on?

You can't do to me what the world didn't already.

>What does Veeky Forums think of the Inheritance Cycle?
You will see a lot of grumbling shitposts, elitist nitpicking, and contrarian posturing here, but don't let that fool you.
Despite the memery of hatred, disgust, and general disregard for the creator's "hack writing", many anons really do honestly, deep down, love Star Wars.

Very fucking mediocre YA books, even by YA standards, that got published only because the author had publishers for parents.

Overall liked it as a kid that was just getting into fantasy, don't really like it as an adult because I now realize it's not very well written, but I still own the whole series and am probably going to have my fiance take them to her classroom for kids to borrow.

If you’re willing to go to Reddit:
>reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2bscok/could_yall_please_explain_to_me_why_the/cj8il6a/

I sometimes think that it's unfair to compare Eragon to Star Wars since they both follow the Hero's Journey very closely, then I remember that:
>Dragon Riders are basically Jedi
>Brom is basically Obi-wan
>Galbatorix is basically Vader
>Arya is basically Leia
>Jeod is a ham-fisted Lando
>Murtagh is a very ham-fisted Han Solo
>Eragon literally joins the rebellion against the empire

At least Roran's chapters from Eldest were cool.
Shit, the whole series could have been about Roran being a Tiny Tim in a world full of magic and monsters and it would have been a way better read.

>Roran being a Tiny Tim in a world full of magic and monsters and it would have been a way better read.
Also this.

10/10

Read the following plot summary:
A boy of foggy origins lives with his uncle in a remote place of a vast empire headed by an evil Emperor and his right hand man, who was once prominent in an ancient order of guardians with mystical powers.
Through fate or luck, depending on your point of view, this boy comes into the possession of an object vital to a rebellion against the Empire; this object was inadvertently sent to him by a princess in the rebellion, who had attempted to send said object to an old man who once belonged to the same order of guardians as the Emperor’s right-hand man.
This boy seeks the old man to learn of the ways of this ancient order, but eventually has to return to his uncle’s farm, which, the boy finds, has been destroyed by fire, and his uncle killed. The boy then sets off with the old hermit, who also gives him a sword which belonged to his father. As they travel, they train. The boy meets up with a rogue who is full of surprises, but turns out to be fiercely loyal, for all his proclaimed selfishness. The boy also begins "seeing" a beautiful woman imprisoned and in need of help.
The boy decides that he needs to rescue her, even though he doesn't know her; further, he thinks of her only as beautiful. Long story short, the old hermit dies to protect the boy, the boy and the rogue help the beautiful damsel escape.
They then set off to the rebellion to give important information and return the object which the princess had sent the boy. They were followed by the Empire, and prepare for a giant battle that will either save the rebellion or annihilate them.
The boy proves his worth with heroics during the battle, but his crowning achievement is his destruction of a noun of much power that has the ability to destroy lots of things. The boy is aided in this by one of his friends, who arrives at precisely the right moment.
The boy is lauded a hero.

The boy has a hallucination of a powerful master who can teach him more of the ancient order. The boy travels to the powerful master to learn the ways of the ancient order's mystical power. While there, he grows very powerful. While he is away, the Rebellion regroups in a new area.
Just when the boy is on a roll with his training, and has grown very powerful, he has a vision of his friends in great danger. He decides he must go to help them. His master warns him not to go. The boy promises that he will return. He leaves.
He finds his friends just in time and is able to distract the enemy so that his friends will remain safe. He finds out that his father was the right-hand man of the Emperor--his father was the one who betrayed the ancient order and helped kill them.
The boy is shocked and ultimately defeated, but not killed. He finds out that someone dear to him has been taken by evil people, and promises to find this person.
Now, is that the plot of Inheritance, or StarWars?

web.archive.org/web/20070501183115/www.anti-shurtugal.com/starwars.htm

Yes.

this
best alt history setting ever concieved
Gladstone did nothing wrong
gas the Czechs, magic wars now

It only exists because his parents are publishers. He's basically an above-average fanfic writer with some professional editing and marketing.

Twilight is funnier, especially when you get to the accidental implications, like brainwashed furry nonces and baby eating.

Oh man, my brother of African descent

Bartimaeus is patrician. I need to read that shit again

That's probably a fair tradeoff.

If the timelines matched, I wouldn't be surprised if Pastrami was a TV Troper. It really feels like it came from the TV Tropes paint-by-numbers school of storytelling.

Get them on the dragon, I'll call it.

What do you guys think of Artemis fowl?

First three are solid. After that, they decline with a pretty abrupt drop at the end

Great for the first 3
Good for the next two
Spiraled the drain for the rest

>Veeky Forums knows and loves Bartimaeus
This makes me happy

The really preachy environmentalism killed it, and I say this as someone who generally supports environmental causes

I wanna play a bartemius game, but I don't know how to do it

Bartimaeus, Old Kingdom and the Edge Chronicles are the holy trinity of Veeky Forums YA novels

Thanks, i forgot those books ever existed.

It won't do it justice.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

>I WILL BECOME THIS CHILD'S MINDSLAVE FOR LIFE AND DO WHATEVER SHE DESIRES ME TO DO
Said the creepy werewolf.

It was physically painful at the end of the last book. The general heavy handedness felt like a feather compared to the epilogue, which was like being hit by a ship full of anvils.
At least the Extinctionists had that Dick Dastardly absurdity that made them unintentionally hilarious.

While there is A LOT of justified criticism you can pile on Paolini, this site isn't the best example. The article you posted is fine, but some of the rest are just blatant disagreements with how the details of the world should have worked out (like in the "Inconsistencies" page and "Character Development") or just the result of unscrupulous reading. Don't get me wrong, the books are drivel and badly written, but this site actually discredits the critics who wrote it.

It is not a series that survives any sort of thinking about.

Holly is 10/10 waifu material.

Go to bed, Artemis.

10/10 magic system, 7/10 setting, 4.5/10 writing.

No.

Honestly though, I very fond of the first few AF books, especially the first one. I can still vividly remember parts of it to an extent I can't really do with most other books I read at that age.
Like the opening in Ho Chi Minh City. Or the pressure elevators. Or Butler fighting that Troll. Or the blue rinse. I could go on.

I don't know why I remember so much of it, I just do.

It was stylish. The early AF books had an element of effortless style