What is Malifaux?

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 30mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.
Books;
mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4- New Wave 4 Models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

Current Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules:
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Discord for Shitposting and other Wyrd related things.
discord.gg/p8sevqe

Other urls found in this thread:

latining.tumblr.com/post/141567276944/tabletop-gaming-has-a-white-male-terrorism-problem
www3.zippyshare.com/v/b2S5sa5M/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/5CGHhKWo/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/BT1ysdj6/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/rYpILkMP/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/85dQBn9r/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/0KPHWmL4/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/jwjgMhDH/file.html
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, to whoever posted the Chang image in the last thread:

I love you, you are a wonderful (Greendale) human being

Any tips on dealing with Sonia? I plan to bring von shill and some trappers and I'm not sure what else to bring

>30mm Skirmish Tabletop game
I thought that it was 32mm? Or is it one of those games where they jacked up the scale over time like 40K, Warmahordes, Infinity, ect?

What kind of factions are there?

There are seven factions.

The Guild is Malifaux's government. They prefer direct damage.
The Arcanists are an anarchist group of wizards and union workers. They prefer casting spells.
The Neverborn are the natives of Malifaux. They like willpower attacks and movement tricks.
The Resurrectionists are loosely affiliated necromancers and the undead. They prefer summoning and slow but sturdy minions.
The Outcasts are mercenaries and abominations that don't belong in other factions. They like shooting I guess, but are pretty eclectic.
The Ten Thunders are an Asian crime syndicate. The like buffing existing models and using models from other factions.
The Gremlins are also natives of Malifaux who are all rednecks. They like hurting themselves to do things.

The guild
>I am the law
Arcanists
>The workers and also terrorists with magic
Neverborn
>nightmares and original inhabitants of malifaux
rezzers
>zombies and necromancers
Ten thunders
>the mystic East
Gremlins
>hillbillies and pigs
Outcasts
>mercs for hire and everyone no one wanted

The Changling?
Yeah, when I realised they'd spelled it like that I couldn't not.
Oddly, it has the Greendale spelling on the sprue and a couple of other places, but not the card or model entry in Shifting Loyalties.

If I was the sort to ruin models for comedy conversions, I would put definitely Francsco's sobrero on one.

Correct.
I've changed my stock OP, but I guess it needs another few rounds of mentioning before all the posters do so.

I'd also be interested in hearing this.
The Freikorps really seem like the perfect counter to her though.

Would pic related be quick enough to get in and do damage sufficient to cripple?

Or is Sonia survivable enough to limp away and blat the spearhed model(s)?

Was wanting to ask this and a general seems best place, had to sell my collection a little while ago. I'm financially stable again and want to get back into Malifaux, what is a good crew set up to get for someone who likes resurrectionsists?

Probably a basic Seamus crew. Get his box, some hanged, and Bete Noire to get back into things. Everything mentioned will be a resurrectionist staple currently.

Thanks, know a lot of the people who play in my area are tournie types so want something that has at least a decent chance of being competitive.

Just got this bad boy in the mail. Time to get spoooooky.

Have they started packaging those things with Killjoy alt cards? I am definitely going to pick one up later to fill out my Viks crew.

Not to my knowledge.

I used to play Von Schill a while ago. Thankfully for you the Freikorps suits should save your ass from the blasts.

In my opinion, the best way to deal with Sonnia is to have Schill get in to close combat with her and hold her up for as long as possible. Take Oathkeper and rush the bitch, make sure you take survivalist as well so Schill has hard to kill.

Or use a strongarm suit to do the same thing. Or both.

Pick up Reva, Yin, Carrion Emissary and some Necropunks and you're good to go. Listen to the schemes and stones episode on Reva, she's probably the most competitive Resser master at the moment.

looking at them now, any particular reason this combination works or just best stats for the faction currently, will admit I am so behind I haven't even replaced my books with the 2e stuff yet.

Short version:
Reva is ded Killy. Yin debuffs enemy willpower, making Reva even more Killy. The emissary can throw up markers that both block enemy advance and generate a walking corpse Reva can punch the enemy through.

A new upgrade allows Yin and the Emissary to do their tricks twice on the same turn, once per game.

Necro punks are simply the best in faction scheme runners.

Toss in Phillip and the Nanny for card cycling and you have one Reva Crew (tm)

interesting, seems a good counter for what an arcanist player here does of Ramos then spider spam to infinity.

Reva hits like a truck, you give her decaying aura so enemies can't use soulstones to prevent her damage, then beat the shit out enemy henchmen or masters.

Everyone will tell you that the wave 4 masters are balanced but they simply are not.The power creep is real, get on the Reva filth train.

Hoping that they release master upgrades during the beta update tomorrow, give some of the weaker masters some love.

looking at just stat comparisons and abilities I definitely agree, wave 4 seems to have been a "buy the new stuff it's really good." move, more balance is always good so also hope to see more of my old favorites brought up to par again.

Absolutely praying for buffs for Seamus and Mah Tucket.

so Veeky Forums, which masters do you think deserve an upgrade/buff?

Parker fucks me off the most, he's so hard to kill due to generating 10000 soulstones and cards every turn. Least fun master to face.

>Necro punks are simply the best in faction scheme runners.
I hear Crooligans a lot. Thoughts?

>wave 4 seems to have been a "buy the new stuff it's really good."

>Everyone will tell you that the wave 4 masters are balanced but they simply are not.
>The power creep is real

Yuuuuuup.

Reva and Sandeep seem to be utterly slaying at the moment.
Zipp does too, but I think that .might. be more a matter of counterplay not being ireoned out yet.

For Reva, I just think she has too much reach and damage - you can counterplay, yes, but her raw damage output and scalpel ability, generally from perfect safety, is too much.
She can fuck off.

Sandeep is just crazy responsive and mobile.
If his Wave 5 Henchman comes out soon, I see him spiking hard before people work out how to deal with him.

I still haven't heard much about Parker competitively, despite his filth-looking card and stone generation, as says.

looked at his stat line, that's some horrid level of fuckery going on with that.

Fully plan to just proxy him as teddy

What are some good Academic Imports apart from the Valedictorian?

How "Summoner Dreamer" plays?

I have some malifaux experience with different masters, but Neverborns aren't very popular in our limited metagame. And there are no local Dreamer players to observe.

From purely theoretical POV, he probably needs 6ss model (Tannen) and 5ss upgrade to even get a chance to summon something as powerful as Teddy (11ss). Plus he still needs 13 mask or red joker.So while possible, it's hardly believable that he'd get even one Teddy per game. One in three games maybe?

So what is his game plan? What's his "typical" list?

Are Alps worth summoning (they're Peons after all)? Is it worth to hire Tannen and hope for a Teddy, or just hire Teddy from the start? Is Widow Weaver any better with Dreamer than with other Neverborn masters?

Also, how it compares with other summoners (non-ressurectionists)?

So what's the ratio of uniques to mooks in this game?
Can you build a story or is it all established fluff?

Usually once you go past the enforcer level of dudes you'll just run into named characters so there's room for your dudes at least.

It's probably still the wrong game for "your dudes" compared to other Tabletop games, but then again there's always the option of using proxies.

I don't know that I'd say it's the wrong type of game for your dudes you've still got figures which only have their profession or species name plus something else which allows breathing room. But then again I can understand the sentiment.

Totally, but as far I know (and I might be wrong here) the appeal of your dudes is to have a leader you can identify with (as with many other games in the fantasy genre, heck, this is a major appeal of RPG games in general).

With the avenue you're proposing, you're gonna be able to craft the story of your lowly mooks, while still having your leaders be pre-established characters. Compare that to something like 40k, where you're allowed to make your own chapter/hive fleet/army regiment from a planet you conceived.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's definitely harder. That being said you're right, customizing your minions is a terrific thing to do.

I agree with you as well on that of having a leader to well lead your mooks and that what a lot of people enjoy is making the leader themself. Hell the biggest thing to come out of 40k creation threads are the leaders of the respective faction group.

... Librarian?
Not many.

Sanctioned spell caster from the guild

I've got a spare Student of Viscera and was wondering if he'd work in there.

I'm guessing it's largely a meta call, but would he be worthwhile against Living-heavy factions?

Is there a reason to pick 2 Death Marshal recruiters in any circumstances?

Use the campaign system for building a story, but otherwise it isn't a your dudes game. It takes much more from Warmahordes than Mordheim, as every single character has a bunch of unique card gamey abilities. A generic customizable leader in Infinity or 40K makes sense, but not in Malifaux.

Not really. You can provide for your marshals well enough with one aura.

I think Dreamer's focusing on activation control summoning, rather than killing stuff with summons.

Your Ressrs are summoning useful shit - Dreamer's not so much.

I think dreamers real summoning potential lies in just how versatile what he can summon is; scheme runners, beaters, the twins as a tarpit etc. etc.
churning out stitched together is nice too.

He's the only summoner who can summon enforcers (if we ignore yan-lo because that doesn't count)

>Hinamatsu nerfed again
for fuck sake

>Sanctioned spell caster

Anyone got any use out of them?

They sounded sort of like less-cool Oxfordians, but I like the idea of being able to gun-turret them with nearby higher-rank guys, and explode if locked down in melee.

I think the Students are generally pretty good against the appropriate models.
And 'pretty good' gets a hardcore upgrade with Sandeep around to supercharge models.
Problem is, they are expensive crap if you pull Viscera against Hoffman or Sinew against Kirai.

Yes, but as with all these calls, there is a good reason not to - that's another model you now can't afford for the sake of buffing your DMs.
If you have a really good reason - like you want to Bury your way to a win in Interference - then you can justify the stones for the sake of an extra aura-origin.

Pic only barely related.
Apparently I'm short on Guild images.

Is the malifaux community still SJW central?

>churning out stitched together is nice too.
Awwww shit, I completely forgot about that one...

Yeah, Dreamer's probably summoning better shit that Nico on average then.

Now I'm remembering why htere was so much relief after the Daydream-Masks nerf.

Good.
Collodi doesn't need independent muscle too.

That's why the students work best as rude summons. The Transmortis box is really worth it if you have anything that can summon them.

Malifaux can't even begin to compete with MTG or WoD when it comes to that. When Wyrd hires a black person consultant to design their next master let me know, and I will probably change my mind.

Not the company, the community. They're different entities.

Then I will have to say that it is even less the case. The company has a big of that, but the crowd that plays Malifaux is hardly any different from any other miniatures game. At least, that is true from the guys that I have met at Gencon and Adepticon. This is in stark contrast to, let's say, MTG, a game that I quit after being lectured by a judge to refer to a card by the correct gender pronoun.

I must know this story

Care to elaborate?

Hadn't considered that, just saw it on the PMF page.
Aside form the obvious speciality killing, they have the filthy (0) that I live in fear of as an Arcanist.
>(0) Lecture Notes: No more triggers for you, dickhead.

No.

Leelu and Lilitu as well?
Coppelius?
Insidious Madnesses?

I'm glad my local Dreamerer is a beaty/schemey Dreamer.

>being lectured by a judge to refer to a card by the correct gender pronoun.
Fucking what.
Storytime?

It's not much of a story. During a draft I pulled Ashiok the Nightmare Weaver and was using the card happily during a game. Eventually the judge told me that I was incorrect in referring to the card as "He", and I should be referring it as "Xay" or some shit, citing some report and MaRo's tumblr account. The fucker eventually made an announcement in front of the whole store. That was hardly the first time that something similar had happened, and I was fed up with the community and game in general.

Malifaux on the other hand has had none of that in my experience. The community is about 10 years older on average and equivalently more mature. Playing the game competitively requires a far smaller investment than MTG, and you don't need to by new stuff as much just to keep up. There is perhaps one person I play who does have the brightly colored hair and piercings that perhaps match the stereotype, but she is very polite and generally nice to the point where I can't judge her. The people on A Wyrd Place probably aren't going to be like the average person who actually plays the damn game.

But they are pretty good by themselves, no? And increased threat range aswell as built-in trick to spread and still benefit from aura seem to be nice.

When I was lurking the malifaux groups on facebook it was all SJWs. Dyed hair and beta males, got triggered over everything. Got especially upset how "Why are there no sexy men for womyn!?"

>facebook
that's your problem

>Why are there no sexy men for womyn
Carlos Vasquez(sp?) is literally a Showgirl (male) for women.

>I should be referring it as "Xay" or some shit
What the fuck. Retarded non-pronouns aside, it's a card. A fucking piece of paper that has no feelings to be hurt.

They did the same bitch fit with Warmachine saying there were no sexy shirtless men. But then MK3 their shirtless guy is literally the best caster in the game. Fucking stupid but there you go

>Why are there no sexy men for womyn
SHIRT GOES OFF!
No really, thats a joke. Bishop, Big Jake, Sensei Yu, Shenlong, McCabe, Samuel Hopkins...list is huge.
Dyed hair is okay if used correctly. How do you define beta male however and what is that?

>Facebook
See
>The people on A Wyrd Place probably aren't going to be like the average person who actually plays the damn game.

It's a vocal minority as is usually the case with SJWs.

Opinion on Akaname?

Considering them for my Gremlin Brewmaster, but I know that running poison theme is a bad thing to do.

This is safe zone, please go away with Warmachine.

Problem is that vocal minority drives off good people and draws in shitty people.

Remember Wyrd is the same company that caused this rant latining.tumblr.com/post/141567276944/tabletop-gaming-has-a-white-male-terrorism-problem

In the end there is no reason that any reasonable person would be offended by the game. On the other hand the community isn't going to be the type that says stuff like this in reality.

Yea they told her to fuck off and stop trying to exploit people then cucked to how they respect diversity and believe in that shit just not being exploited for it.

Tfw 3 people in my store are ranked in the top 30 and I'm sitting here with all rank of over 150

They're fighting for the same spot, to be sure. I prefer Necropunks because of the durability and self heal. They get in a pinch and can fuck off and live the rest of the game, with hard to kill keeping them from being one-shot by an opponent's sweeper.

Same here. I always bring one of those guys with Reva to hop around and interact.

>open von shill box
>trapper is missing

Shit luck, friend.

Though Wyrd's product replacement division is top notch. Last missing bits I had arrived in under a week; shipping included.

dumb question but was looking for the Reva box on the main site and it seems to be missing, was it a special release or am I just not seeing it?

Let's say my goals are:
- Summoning face-beaters, that can be thrown at my opponent as a distraction
- Summoning some non-peon stuff for schemes\strategies like Interference

Is Dreamer a good option for this? His summons are very fragile, it seems. Even with healing. Maybe I should consider other summoners?

I don't use wyrd site for buying, but on other online shops (like miniaturemarket) it can be purchased just fine.

thanks, prefer doing direct buys so wanted to see if I was just not finding its page first.

Death Marshal Recruiters?
Yeah, they are good, but the main trick is buffing your Marshals, so there will be many cases where after the first Recruiter, those stones would be better spent elsewhere.

Diminishing returns etc.

Yup, on Facebook, land of the virtue signallers.

They'll work fine, you can probably use one, maybe even two, but the poison-theme just isn't really worth leaning into.

>Only in the top 200 in the country
Aww shucks guy, life must be tough for you.
UK, I assume?
There's a guy in my store who is probably above average - he wins a lot more than he loses, though not always by huge margins.
He's somewhere down around the very bottom of the UK rankings.
The other guy that's winning 90% of his games is only doing so because he's worked out his "Turn 1 scalpel" algorithms so well that you nearly always end up playing 35ss vs 45ss.

Ok, fair point - I guess it's a play-style thing.
I tend to try and score everything before Turn 4, which Crooligans seem like they'd be better for, whereas Necropunks can survive to the endgame to keep scoring on a cleared out field.

Definitely Dreamer can do this, but you'll need to manage his Waking so stuff heals properly.
Do Nvb have good healing otherwise?

That deck is hilarious.
What is it?

Online store, named "Ebenezer's Emporium" was selling that deck some time ago, but no longer, afaik.

L-twins can heal each other, between Dreamer and Regeneration. Coppelius, if killed someone. Maybe one or two other models, I can't remember now. But I don't think there are that many healers in Nvb.

> The other guy that's winning 90% of his games is only doing so because he's worked out his "Turn 1 scalpel" algorithms so well that you nearly always end up playing 35ss vs 45ss.
I'm just curious, but what does he use for this?

Definitely Brewmaster. And if possible I'd like them to move past the poison aspect of his card. Build in a suit for his obey, up his df by 1, dunno.

Not original poster, but a question about Reva too:
- Is it worth taking Spare Parts upgrade with her for some summoning? Considering that I already have Rogue Necromancy model anyway, and Guild Autopsy can make even more corpse tokens (in Mindless Zombie form)

> not the
> have a question
I should read before sending

Also, I found this faction compilations. Possibly with errata included (some corrected cards included for sure, but I can't say if all). For me it was useful, so I think maybe someone else will found it useful too.

> Malifaux_2E_Arcanists_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/b2S5sa5M/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_Gremlins_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/5CGHhKWo/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_Resurrectionists_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/BT1ysdj6/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_Neverborns_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/rYpILkMP/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_The_Guild_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/85dQBn9r/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_Ten_Thunders_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/0KPHWmL4/file.html
> Malifaux_2E_Outcasts_v2_1.pdf
www3.zippyshare.com/v/jwjgMhDH/file.html

Generally McMourning and Sonia.
Through no fault of his they tend to be pretty unenjoyable games, because the Turn 1 damage output can be so large and precisely applied. Excellent target selection.

With Doug, Dr Grimwell can move somethign silly like 29" in one turn.
That usually means he can get a charge against something he can probably kill, and he's no featherweight.
In Close/Flank, I've seen him kill a model and Nimble away into cover to survive until Turn 4.

Sonia just does Sonia bullshit.

>Faction Compilations
What are they?
Cards?

Cool if so, but Zippyshare is dicking me about.
Any chance you can just post the .PDFs?

Yes, like in book, but without big "story" and with all faction in one pdf. And probably with errata. Like pic related.

I'd post them, but Veeky Forums has 8 Mb size limit. And they're 30+ Mb each. But I can upload them to a different place - just give me an URL to the hosting.

I got into the game and got some ressers models to be able to build two crews from one faction. Can I get any suggestions on how to split them to make the crews somewhat balanced against eachother? Boxes:
Seamus crew
Mcmourning crew
Rafkin
Canine remains
Flesh construct
Dead doxies
Bete noir

Ah, fair enough.
Not sure where offers good reliable hosting
Mega?

Seamus, Doxies and Bete Noir versus McM, Rafkin and Frankenstein would at least be in-theme.
Add dogs to taste.

mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

Noice.
Cheers buddy - I'll add you to my copy of the General copypasta.

Just got an email back. They are fantastic
You are my hero

I've been playing about a year, doing reasonably well by the local group's standard.
I lost a game Monday, against the new guy who's only had five or six 35ss games, using the old schemes.

I've been brooding over the loss, and I now sort of understand why a few places tried/wanted to try a round with rulebook or past GG schemes - it really is a completely different game.

It's a huge perspective shift to go from
>Do this and this and this every turn to bank points early
to
>I need these models in position turn 3 to non-obviously threaten this position turn 4 while staying unengaged so that I can get them here for turn 5

I fucked up pretty bad a couple of times because I couldn't get my head out of end-of-turn scoring mode.

Shenlong's good, guys.
Really good.
Played against him earlier - focus errywhere is a pretty big deal.

Shen Long is what makes the TTs relevant at all.

Ramos can activate Electric Creation (4ss), move it forward. Then he activates himself, kills Electric Creation, gets Scrap marker and summons 2-3 Arachnids (8-12ss). There are variations - like Joss can kill Creation, making two markers, for example. Or Creation can kill itself if cards aren't a problem. But basics is simple.
All of this - on the first turn, with cards needed only on summon. With 4ss model sacrificed and 1-2 APs from other models.

Ulix with Husbandry can summon too - Piglets with 9+ or War Pig with 12+ and 3 Sceme Markers. So, he can arrange summons from turn one without too much sacrificing, if he has good card for summon.

Can I make similar multiplying with other summoners from turn one?

In resurrectionists there are 4ss models like Canine Remains, Guild Autopsy and Crooligan that can be killed for the Corpse Marker. But it's always one-to-one exchange in the end. Canine can also make one with 8+ Crows, which is good, but I'll need Crows on summon too.

Shen, McCabe and maybe the occasional Lynch are all you'll ever need in TT. They outclass their other masters so hard its not even funny.

Use Joss to kill the EC, get 2 Scrap.

Ressurs have shedloads of models that can produce Corpse markers from actions or attacks.

It's not too difficult to get three summons out of Nicodem - I'm reasonably sure he and Ramos are the ebst summoners in the game, on a flat AP for AP metric.

>Ressurs have shedloads of models that can produce Corpse markers from actions or attacks.
I'm missing something then. Excluding "Found a Bone" [[ (2) AP with 8+ Crows ]], I can't find anything for the turn one, when enemies are far and summons are needed. Can you give me a hint?