What are Imperial civilian cars like in the 41st millennium?

What are Imperial civilian cars like in the 41st millennium?

How come we see/hear so little of them?

Other urls found in this thread:

wargameexclusive.com/product-category/heresy-hunters/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Somewhere between The Flintstones and Back To The Future, depending on the planet.

And ownership is somewhere between being fairly common to no one below Imperial Administration has one.

As a single data-point, in the first Cityfight codex, GW's terrain builders used a beat up model car as part of the rubble. So on the civilized agri-world of Khai-Zhan, cars look a lot like what we drive today.

Pic for reference

>How come we see/hear so little of them?
Because IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR is the tagline of this shitty setting.

depends on the planet

some world may have large middle classes drivig cars like us

some worlds might have flying hover cars for all its inhabitants alla corisant from star wars

some might have primitive 19th ccenture cars

and others still might have cars and personal transportation reserved for nobility

point is OP, its whatever you want for your game/terrain board

hover tech is rare as fuck in the 41st millennium

only primaris marines and custodes have that shit

well scrap that then, was just brianstorming

my point still stands that you should let your imagination run wild

While I admit that I don't like any of their cheese cake stuff, the cars are fucking amazing.

My only grip is that they have too much imperial icons for it to be easy conversion for ork buggies

They probably resemble the genestealer goliaths

>civilian cars
i imagine in densely populated places there's only public transport (trains)

in other places people might be landlocked like it's the feudal times and don't even need a private car

"Skycars" have been mentioned in the novels though. Usually only for nobles. It's probably a question of durability and conditions. Something good for hovering through an empty sky won't necessarily be effective or even practical, in a warzone.

>only primaris marines and custodes have that shit
Also wrong. Regular Space Marines have Land Speeders and I believe there's a good mentioning that Titan utilize anti-grav to help walk.
It's rare yes, but far from exclusive to Custodes and Guillimarines.

Because 40k is a wargame, and they don't want to talk about daily lives on planets that aren't currently at war

I think military grade hovertech is rare.

We got servo skulls fucking everywhere afterall.

some imperial flyers have the hover rule too, even the basic valkyrie: In flight, the aircraft utilizes twin vectored engines in order to not only vertically take off and land, but also hover in mid-air, allowing for greater accuracy in deploying its twelve passengers.

so hover cars don't have to be anti-gravity

they do tell about the lives of people in hive worlds, terra and forge worlds

this is bait about the new hover tank for 8th right?

Imperial tech is an anachronistic mesh. They have hover tech, its just covered in skulls and potentially powered by pneumatic tubes.

Carrion Throne has a smoke stack coming out of a landcar parked next to vtol craft filled with a power armoured guy who shoots heretics with a revolver.

There's also the old conversions (and I guess the current truck) for genestealer cults.

>Terra
Terra seems to have anti-grav cars in good numbers at least, or do by any practical measure going by the Carrion Throne novel, I got the impression of Terra as Correscant, except with a sky of smog and a lot more ribbed vaults and flying buttresses. And large robots that patrol the streets at night reminding everyone to praise the Emperor.
Though it IS terra, so it's not representative of the usual.

>vtol craft filled with a power armoured guy who shoots heretics with a revolver.

so this guy?

Servo skulls, anti grav studs, and land speeders say otherwise.

That always bugged me just a bit. Hover cars are rare as a stylistic thing and because gravity control tech is rare/expensive. Okay, fair enough. But you have aircraft and voidcraft with vector thrust engines and retrothrusters and shit that can hover all day. Would a hovercar using vector thrust/magnetic/air cushion bullshit be that hard?

antigrav is magic
fusion/plasma/combustion engine isn't

mhm, although I got the idea he was a lot more haggard looking from the book than the cover

could a custodes captured by a heretical radical inquisitor be interrogated with inquisition's excruciatiors, psychic powers etc. to reveal something about the creation of a custodes?

That's some quixos level radicalism right there.

maybe cawl wants to know

Why is the bottom left just a batmobile

because IP stealers have no imagination

>How come we see/hear so little of them?
because the game is called warhammer 40,000, not soccermomsuv 40,000

They most likely don't know how they're created. Why would they need to?

not that they'd need to

even if they're mind wiped there must be some clues to their training and such

At that point it's not a "car", it's a car shaped airship.

why is it not a car?

John blanche did a lot of early gw art and he did weird riffs on the batmobile a few times. Also because people use to like cars with fins.

Because it operates via air travel and doesn't drive on the road in any circumstance.
Unless you're saying this device, for whatever insane reason, has two separate engine systems for two different methods of propulsion.

There's always this pic from the previous edition of Genestealer Cults that shows them with some stolen Imperial cars.

So basically, gothed-up 1930s cars.

It's interesting, though, and fleshes out the background of what the galaxy is like outside the front lines. This adds to the stakes of the conflict by seeing the lives or ordinary noncombatants behind the scenes.

It's interesting being given glances at the world outside the trenches, like a Tau Water Caste merchant trading for Kroot ornamental trinkets ("the next big thing!"), or an Eldar visiting a Craftword bar (that serves intense emotions in cups rather than booze).

The the context of what someone might see outside of war is a big part of why we should care about them in the first place. If there wasn't that background, what would be used as terrain? Would every faction just be OG Necrons and Tyranids with no character fighting endlessly for little to no purpose? Part of 40k is its huge fluff and without that we don't really care about the setting.

That's some shit like an Arvus Lighter; a light Surface-to-Space transport and utility vehicle that's much more expensive to operate than an atmospheric craft. The Navy can operate them because they have the funding and infrastructure to support it, and also they need those vehicles for various utilities. Civilians not so much, although powerful people might have enough for a private one and even more powerful people might have a hangar full to take them to their private starship.

"Car" in this sense would probably be the word used for them just because they're similarly shaped and are both personal, fully enclosed transports. I mean yeah if you take a car's chassis, rip the wheels off and shove a jet turbine up its ass it's technically not a car anymore, but it looks enough like one.

trains have cars too

Obviously, but the nomenclature's evolved over time to the point where if you say the word car to someone they'll never assume first that you're talking about a train car and not an automobile.

well same goes for gas, whether it's about gaseous substances or a certain liquid it's all about the context

Depends on how the etymology of carriage and car shift over 38 thousand years. For our purposes, calling it a car works fine for most people. Some will prefer to use the prescriptive definition where car refers to wheeled ground vehicles. Some won't be as concerned.

I'd go with air-car personally to show the mingling of terms over time but also maintain the distinction that it flies.

Most liquid fuels in the Imperium are referred to as Promethium, regardless of the actual element Promethium. They already do as much.

With the faux-Latin and Imperiumification of nomenclature in the grim darkness of the far future, it's likely they're referred to as automocars or generic transports or some such thing (like the Sato-mobile in Korra, the second worst Avatar committed to screen).

>that fucking gun
I wish this fucking franchise would stop jerking off Marines 24/7 and market high-grade aesthetically pleasing shit like that instead.

Looks a lot like a Phosphor Serpenta to me, actually. You can get those from the Skitarii Dragoon or Tech-Priest Dominus kit (though for just the gun, probably go to a bits reseller). I should give my converted Inquisitor one.

The latter question's answer is "because it's a wargame", but the former's answer is "I don't know, but now exactly like OP in my heart."

It's also been a roleplaying game. And when you're playing Dark Heresy it's somewhat pertinent considering you might need to commandeer a car to make an escape instead of waiting for the blue line.

Also considering when you're immersing yourself in a civilian setting where dark happenings are going on, it's generally a good idea to get a grasp of your surroundings. Are people fairly well off here and can afford a grox steak and a day off once a week, or do they work 16 hour shifts and subsist on corpse-starch, canned hagfish slime, and rust-tinged water.

These look really cool, where are they from?

>civilian
>only war

wat

>Capturing a custodes

Good fucking luck.

And the answer is no, all the torture will get you is aroused sniggering

>taking the 'only war' memeing 100% literally

Only Americans call liquid petrol "gas".

>those sweet models
Gorka-Morka racing game with both Imperium and Xenos fighting each other for the great prix, for when?

>implying that loyal Imperial citizens would be heretical enough to play sports/race with xenos filth
Found the Dark Angel. This ain't WHFB, bitch.

Granted, Canada does as well, due to proximity. Japan too, but they katakanafy it.

Come on, I just want to see what sort of cray contraptions would both Imperium, Xenos and Chaos would dare to bring into the circuit

I've said it before, but Imperial Armor Vol.8's Rolling Terrain rules are perhaps the best goddamned thing in that book for running a Death Race. Well, if you simplify the terrain rules a little bit.

I've had the idea for a while that, in order to run (non NPC) infantry on the table as well, you could incorporate a long stretch of the middle board which represents a train, and anything standing on it treats it as normal, static ground. Given rules for Airborne transports as well, your Valkyrie with Heavy Bolter guns out the side hatches suddenly becomes a badass gunship that can drop your troops off onto the end of the train or provides flanking cover fire for those troops already fighting their way up it. Maybe Bikers respawn from the edges of the board and work their way towards the center train car, and all forces on the ground and on the train have to deal with these Bikers.

There's a lot of possibilities to it. It's fast-paced open ground vehicle fighting with a section of the board that's practically a Zone Mortalis board, stacked high with crates and defended from flyers and vehicles by heavy gun emplacements (that can't target what's on the train and can't target the whole board because there's shipping crates in the way so your ground troops have to take them out to advance).

Until recently you'd have to go inside the Imperial Palace to even meet a Custodes so good fucking luck doing it there.
I suppose you could try to grab one from a battlefield or something, but they seem to hang out with Guilliman so once again, good luick.

The average person probably doesn't find themselves needing a car.

>taking 'only war' to mean 'a large and well supplied civil market'

they'd be driving around in civilian-model Taurox and Chimeras at best

>Most liquid fuels in the Imperium are referred to as Promethium, regardless of the actual element Promethium. They already do as much.

because anything worth a damn has a multifuel engine

I guess they probably look like Ork Trukks, but without all the spikes and skulls. Trucks of the Imperium probably look like a WW2 GMC Truck, as much as the Taurox does.

But as some user said earlier, cars certainly look depedning on the technological avancement of each planet.

If I had to choose, I'd say that cars look like 1930s automobiles because they match the style of the Imperium.

>look like Ork Trukks, but without all the spikes and skulls
Like this you mean?

Ciaphas Cain and Gaunts Ghosts both feature staff limousines which appear to be modelled off WW2 german staff cars, and at least one of them mentions they move silently.

GG also features in one city bulk transporters that can hold 300 men, but aren't described much beyond basically monster-truck tyres.

>ignorant Eurocuck doesn't understand where the word "gasoline" came from

wargameexclusive.com/product-category/heresy-hunters/

How the fuck is the driver supposed to see out of the bottom-right one? Hell, even the top left one seems a bit difficult...

Ignorant amerilard not using petrol (from the word petroleum)...

I imagine their engines are servitor ogryns for no reason. They look more like chariots than cars.

>O B S S E S E D Euro still not realizing where the name "gasoline" cam from

>where the name "gasoline" cam from
You say that like a thieving irishman is something impressive

But how?

that stuff that's rare and restricts the usage of hover vehicles are STC made hoverplates specifically designed for those vehicles.

To make any new version of it (now that the STC is lost) is heresy

Stuff to make passenger cars out of isn't necessarily and probably isn't good enough to make a tank out of anyway

Looks like there's a camera in the skull on the engine. It's possible the windshield is mostly just for utility and there's a display in front of the driver.

>that low to the ground
Just imagine going over speed bumps in that thing.

In the original Rogue Trader book Rick Priestley talks about previous model making experience readers might have had and says something like 'You may have built scale model tanks, warships or planes before, you may even have built model cars (in which case you're a sick weirdo)'
The urge to make model war stuff usually seems to preclude the urge to make model civilian stuff and vice versa.

Ever see The Redeemer's personal vehicle?

Most of these things look like they could plow through a highway bridge pillar and remain intact

Man, these designs would seriously tempt me to get into 40k.

All the best 40k models come from 3rd party companies.

I don't have to. My shocks are fucked and I'm too poor to do anything about it.

Yeah, I thought the GW genestealer limos were funny but this one's pretty tight

Perhaps you shouldn't blow all your money on overpriced plastic men then.

You can't exactly afford to go any less than AK-47 levels of durability and reliability in the grimdarkness of the far future. Besides, that's what most STCs are built to produce: rugged designs that will last you a long time made from simple, rugged materials.

>could a custodes captured by a heretical radical inquisitor
>custodes
>captured
I'm not sure you know what you're dealing with here

I just ordered one of these.

I like it most because nearly every profile of this machine just looks aggressive. The side profile, the forward profile, even the rear has some menace with the fucking jet engine out the back.

Also consider it's outwardly aggressive in a militant way, but much more subtle in iconography. You compare it to shit like the Interceptor, and it's outright subtle, given its only Inquisitorial iconography are on its door handles. The Interceptor is gaudy and brazenly flaunts its Inquisitorial seals. I judge the character of my own Inquisitor as being more on the practical, wetwork side than the show offy side, but to each their own. I'm sure announcing your presence as an Inquisitor can be played as an advantage just as much as keeping a fast car with twin miniguns on standby for drop from a Valkyrie Sky Talon.

Space marine jump packs are probably strong enough to keep a civilian car airborne, considering how heavy those fuckers actually are.

this is sort of related to the topic of non-military vehicles.

I'm making my imperial guard force up as a Rogue Trader house. I'm trying to work out how to make a chimera look... rogue-trader-y. Any suggestions?

Class it up a little.

Instead of packing it with rolled up canvas and other bits that make it look rugged and worn, use Imperial Guard crates in those spots as storage boxes, neatly placed. A medical kit in easy reach on either side by the door, or a fire extinguisher would be a nice touch.

Show off that this Rogue Trader has the money to equip his men well, giving them top-of-the-line equipment, rather than having them make due. Also give it a neat and clean paint job, save for the tires where fresh dirt or mud will have just recently caked on as it hits planet. These are vehicles that come from a hangar with a fully-stocked support staff, and can afford a cleaning after use.

>tfw GW will never give IG staff cars

Good suggestions. Thanks

>hover tech is rare as fuck in the 41st millennium
>only primaris marines and custodes have that shit

If you want to know like the life of more normal planets are in the Imperium I find that the Caiphias Cain novels are the way to go.

Pretors driving motorcycles, Generals (and a certain commisar) eating Grox sandwiches in a luxus hotel, higher class parties with singing hot as hell inquisitors.

Man I love those novels. They really show that there is more to humantiy then hive worlds (which are not really that common).

Also being born into a hive world is really really shit.

Don't forget pic related.

your going to be incredibly disappointed by its size. its about as big as a SM bike

Now imagine these as Pixar's '40Kars'

MILITARY grade hover tech is rare as fuck.

You DO NOT WANT a civilian grade hovercar or hoverboard engine in a jetbike or hovertank. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT!

>it's likely they're referred to as automocars or generic transports or some such thing
Canonical term is "groundcars", I think.