Since the new "present" is going to be about 120.M42, will the iconic intro change?

Since the new "present" is going to be about 120.M42, will the iconic intro change?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/OCTkfJ5.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Warhammer 41k
doesnt have quite the same ring to it

>It is the 42nd millennium, or maybe still the 41st... because we might have lost track of the date a few times!

I'm pretty sure the intro is not done from an in-setting pov.

I always liked to imagine it was the long lost transcript future telling of a psychic-servitor-thing back in the dark age of technology.

Nope. In the Dark Imperium novel Guilliman discovers the Administratum has managed to fuck up the calender, and it might be anywhere up to 1000years out of sync.

i.imgur.com/OCTkfJ5.jpg

Gw, you cheeky fuckin cunts

has there ever been a problem with the setting that couldn't be solved by blaming the inquisition?

>No quotation marks
>The word "heretical" has entered Guilliman's vocabulary.
He really is about to drink the Imperial Creed Kool-Aid isn't he?

Also you'd think an Empire that could hold together more than a million worlds for thousands of years would be able to keep an accurate tally of how many times the Throneworld gone around the sun, or that Cawl and Bjorn would have some kind of internal calendar that, while maybe not 100% thanks to the occasional warp jumps, would be more accurate than "anywhere" in a 1000 year span.

What you're asking is for GW to make sense, which we all know they're very capable of not doing if it makes it easier for them to write the setting, especially with the current round of writers.

I'm pretty sure he means heritic in the sense of "they are sabatoging humanity's conquest of the galaxy" and not "they are not seeing my father as the one true god"
How can he after his conversation with emps?

Heretic means they deviate from established religious doctrine, it's an inherently religious words.

>How can he after his conversation with emps?
Pretty easily considering he's grappling with the idea that he is one, and his only apparent hang up in the book is that he doesn't want to admit a cold and callous being is a god. But as Guilliman himself said, a god with a task like the Emperor has no time for affection, he loves no one but mankind as a whole, AND BY VIRTUE OF THAT HE IS PURE AND UNCONTAMINATED BY WEAKNESS. HE IS AGONIZINGLY ALONE.

Horus Heresy?

why doesn't guilliman ask the eldar what time it is?

>an inherently religious words.
everything in imperium is religious is you want it so, so might as well say heretical can refer to anything

don't be so 21st century centric

>everything in imperium is religious is you want it so, so might as well say heretical can refer to anything
Well yeah, heretic can refer to just about anything in the current Imperium. That Guilliman's picking up the lingo would indicate he's starting to drink the kool-aid.

>suggests to ask the eldar a question
did you go full retard?
asking the necrons would be way better

Didn't they pull a
>the Imperium is bad at dates so it actually could still be the year 40,000
retcon in the Dark Imperium novel?

Heretic was used by many primarchs during and I believe even before the Horus Heresy. It referred to those who rejected the emperors vision.

I don't remember that, but then again, I didn't get much farther into that series than Descent

>
Also you'd think an Empire that could hold together more than a million worlds for thousands of years would be able to keep an accurate tally of how many times the Throneworld gone around the sun

Not really. Incompetence is what defines the Imperium of Man. If it acted in any kind of intelligible manner it wouldn't be slowly dying.

>If it acted in any kind of intelligible manner it wouldn't be slowly dying.
If it couldn't act in any kind of intelligible manner it wouldn't have lasted 10,000 years against all the shit assailing it. It can't be 100% or even 90% incompetent because then it would not have lasted centuries, never mind millennia. Not if the authors appreciate in anyway the scale of the civilization they're writing about.

The Imperium of Man has survived longer than any human civilization in history.

>Not if the authors appreciate in anyway the scale of the civilization they're writing about.
they pretty much don't

The Imperium of Man has survived longer than human history.

>dogmatic adherence and thoughtless revisionism
How? The Imperial dating system is one of the few sci-fi dating systems that actually takes into account the communications lag between Earth and any other given point in the galaxy. It always uses Earth as a reference point so that you only need to determine the date on Terra to find out what date it is in the Imperial calendar. It's also a decimal system to make matters even easier. How does anyone fuck that up?

I mean, did some Custodes pull one too many sheets off the "1000 Thoughts for 1000 Days" calendar or something?

I kind of remember from the spoilers about someone specifically screwing with the date.
So blame the inquisition.

Spiritual Liege?

Time-travelling inquisitors

>The word "heretical" has entered Guilliman's vocabulary.
People have been using the word Heresy since M31.

Not to forget that the system takes into consideration the validity of the source in the dating.

I hope they're not gonna go "it's still M41, time's fucked like that, lol" because that's bullshit. Just fucking bite the bullet and go M42. You can keep Warhammer 40,000 just fine.

>inquisitors

More like The Doctor.

IT'S DEATH O CLOCK!!!!

Yes. Because even if GW pulls a "We're actually still in the 41st Millenium :^)". There's still lines saying stuff like "so much knowledge has been lost, never to be relearned" when Cawl has materialized out of thin air to relearn everything.
What they ought to do is split 40k up into three eras, and come up with a third intro, like how 40k and 30k have their own.

>you'd think an Empire that could hold together more than a million worlds for thousands of years would be able to keep an accurate tally of how many times the Throneworld gone around the sun,
Interestingly, in orbital mechanics you can't accurately predict the future location of any bodies over very long time spans. It's due to chaos theory and the complexities of multiple gravitational bodies interacting.

Even simple measures like "how many times has it been winter" will break down over a long enough timespan, because the precession of the Earth isn't as regular as we like to think and seasonal variations build up.

And then you get into relativistic effects and the whole "you can never tell precisely when two events happened if either of them was accelerating" problem, and that being in a gravity well at all (eg being in a solar system) counts as accelerating.

Its a bit different for the Imperium given how Astropathic communication allows faster than light communication. There are delays, yes, but even with Inter-Segmentum communication it's only months. You skullphone one of the core Solar worlds, look at what date they stamp their reply and work from there. They've got to be relatively on the ball about how long messages take to arrive, because otherwise the logistics would break down entirely.

120?

The Indominatus Crusade took about 112 years according to the novel. So 120 sounds about right assuming GW decides to actually compress the timeline.

It sounds like they might, but I hope they don't. Compressing the timeline just seems uselessly timid at this point; you've gone this far, bite the fucking bullet and change the date to M42.

am i the only one a bit... disappointed with the large time skip? I bad hoped that the setting would take place DURING the Indomitus Crusade