Sci fi vehicles thread? Preferably big land stuff but anything goes

Sci fi vehicles thread? Preferably big land stuff but anything goes

Other urls found in this thread:

large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/rossi1/
aeromodeller2.be/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it ground? Is it air? Is it water?

It sure is

Honestly, the cold war produced a shitton of sci-fi looking stuff.

I like /nasacore/ space ships

300-400 tons of steel with a top speed of fucking 550 km/h. Carries 6 four-and-a-half ton supersonic ramjet missiles with a 250km range and nuclear warhead capability.

They're actually working on updating the design and making new ones. I think the concept has merit - particularly for fast troop and armor insertion and large scale rescue operations at sea.

2300ad vehicles, anyone?

>The Game they never released
sad

Yes.

it would be cool to see drones like this provide close air support

Drones are never cool

>steam defenses and full-auto airguns
>superconcrete land trains launching flying scouts
>psi-shamans from the Detroit ghetto
>Japanese gun culture

That book series was a highlight of my childhood.

I disagree

Why does it have space shuttles + space shuttle fuel tank strapped to it?

That doesn't make any sense

Gotta have that delta v to fight the aliens, user.

Post 1980s scifi was a mistake

fake and gay

Based on a real thing

The shuttles were repurposed as premade space capable vessels to use as gunships, along with the custom gunships on the right, which you can see mounted on the side of Michael along with the shuttles.

The whole thing was designed as a built in secret, take the fight to the aliens in orbit, with cold war technology, space battleship.

God was knocking, and he wanted in bad.

>Why does it have space shuttles + space shuttle fuel tank strapped to it?
>That doesn't make any sense

Read the book, butt munch, and all will be clear.

The shuttles are there for the same reasons 16-inch turrets off the New Jersey are there: The push the Fithp's collective shit in.

Weren't they originally designed (at least in part) as a counter to American aircraft carriers?

Oh shit motherfucking Ground Command! Do you have any more Ground Command stuff?

Ground Control rather.

Tiny ass drive sprocket

Where on earth is your drive sprocket? How are you transmitting kinetic energy to your treads?

>tfw, everyone shat on the Mako but you always loved it.

Also giant carrier tanks and other huge APC like vehicles are awesome. I wish they more practical in real life.

What a time it was

I loved driving a wobbly shopping cart in a bouncy house. Certain missions got tedious as you slow sniped them, but otherwise driving balls out and vaulting across the countryside was an absolute blast.

I feel you bro

why?

I really just enjoyed being able to run over the Geth. Especially the armatures since they were annoying as fuck to fight on foot.

Designing a nuclear reactor capable of supersonic flight presents a set of unique challenges: [5]

Strict mass and volume budgets. Both mass and volume are at a premium in any flying craft, even more so when high performance is desired. [6] This requires the design of a lightweight reactor with a small frontal cross-section.

Tremendous load from air drag. The airflow from the diffuser impinges directly on the head of the reactor, generating a pressure of 3.8 MPa at Mach 3, and crosses the entire reactor, subjecting the reactor to both compressive loads and shear loads due to internal ablation.

Very high thermal stresses. The efficiency of ramjet engines increases with temperature and in particular with the temperature difference between the core and the airflow: the temperature gradient induces extremely high mechanical loads on the reactor itself.

Chemical oxidation. Exposing the reactor core to a high-temperature oxygen-rich airflow significantly accelerates oxidation phenomena, which can compromise the mechanical properties of the reactor.

Very high lateral loads. The reactor is housed in a high-speed, maneuverable craft: it can be exposed to lateral accelerations of several g's during turns and in presence of turbulence.

Radiation leakage. In the SLAM ramjet concept, air passes directly through the reactor core and is then expelled through the nozzle. If the ramjet is to fly over allied territory, it is imperative to minimize radiation leakage (mainly from ablated reactor material) in the exhaust plume.

large.stanford.edu/courses/2015/ph241/rossi1/

I don't know how to convince you this project was real. My grandfather actually helped design the giant air tunnel for the test facility. This was one of a number of insane ideas that were purpose-built to be a giant middle finger to the Ruskies; it didn't matter if they won a ground war in the States, our government was perfectly content irradiating the entire western hemisphere.

This one might not be sci-fi since it looks like something a country could be using now, or have in development in a lab somewhere.

megaships

Is this supposed to be a nuclear powered bomber rocket?

yep, its a doomsday weapon

aeromodeller2.be/

Sexy.

nah m8, it was a humongous nuclear powered missile that could zoom along at mach 4 indefinitely, then swoop down and release it's payload of nuclear weapons, then fly around the countryside farting highly radioactive exhaust. The flight engineers even had a dispersal pattern set up so a number of these missiles (their production order was 25) could fly in overlapping, preprogramed paths and irradiate all of Russia. Because it was designed to fly supersonic at very low altitudes (less than 300 meters) it would fuck up civilian zones with supersonic flybys.

Best part? The whole missile was a flying bomb. Even if the Ruskies managed to shoot it down (no joke, their ground to air missiles were not fast enough to catch it) it would crash into the countryside at at least mach 2 and fling radioactive shit for miles in every direction.

Nice designs, but those line drawings are annoying. Did they fire Steve Venters after TW2K?

100%. When it runs out of multi-warhead nukes, it flies laps at danger height, spewing fallout while ruining shit with its sonic boom. Until it blows up. It was a fever-dream of a weapon that humans are just smart enough to spitball, never build.

Casaba howitzers, though...