I am making a gaming table for 40K and need inspiration, post gaming tables you guys have or like!

I am making a gaming table for 40K and need inspiration, post gaming tables you guys have or like!

Isn't 40k just played on a big flat featureless table?

If that's all you've ever seen on 40k tables, then I am sure glad I don't play where you do.

Had a tourney in my lgs once, it was a series of battles on different random worlds, one of them was big and featureless, but it was always night

6x4 zone mortalis table a thin sheet of plywood ontop of that then a sector Imperialis Board ontop

Likely doesn't play, just has no life so tries to suck the life out of others by being a shit eater.

I also need inspiration for my 40k board. I will settle for everyone mailing me a piece of terrain if you don't feel up to post pics of your tables.

No that's warmhordes your thinking of.

He can't apply cold water because Mk III removed deep water terrain.

Good god warmachine sounds so incredibly dull

I mean, i remember reading about mk1 and looking into it, and it was full of so much awesome, and now it is merely a shadow of its former self, even with all the new models and factions added, it seems to have only made it even less interesting. the rules are just reflecting that

I'm afraid my table is literal shit and I don't think I'd like you to see it.

My table has 2 sets of the 2e boxset cardboard terrain. Sometimes I have 2 ork cardboard dreads wandering around, blasting up random units.

Did you get the god tier expansions?

No! and now I'm fucking pissed! I need that in my life!

Dont have a Gaming table just yet, But I recently Bought a Battlemap and some Terrain to go with it.

Will probably post in /wip/ every now and then

Warmachine player here, and sadly balance comes at a price.
I don't know how familiar you are with the game, but a Warcaster in the game is like the 40k equivalent of a Warlord and HQ rolled into one, and every faction has a lot of different Warcasters to choose from.
In Mark 2, every Warcaster had their own theme force (40k equivalent is formation). Just units that mesh well with the caster's theme/abilities. This meant that every faction had conservatively a dozen different themes they could take. An army of speedy assassins, a big wall of cavalry, long gun lines, the possibilities were near endless. It was awesome. You could fill an afternoon just coming up with different lists for each caster.

Buuut there was too much complaint about balance. Now in Mk 3 each faction is lucky to have 3+ different themes to choose from. You're not forced to play on flat 2 dimensional terrain, but the rules make it very hard to use anything else as model placement is so much more important than in a lot of other wargames. It's much more competitive and the FLGS are filled with people... let's put it this way. You know all those 13 year olds who play MTG obsessively? Imagine them, exact same personality, just add 30 years, 100lbs, and a neckbeard. They don't care about fun, just winning.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game and still spend a lot of money on it, but just give some thought to the trade off of balance vs style. Sometimes, sacrificing balance is not an entirely bad thing.

Don't pretend theme forces are a thing outside of 1 or 2 of them.

t. Skarre player

And you see, I like some balance just add much as the next guy, but not at the cost of all else, which is where warmahordes is. And many claim balance, I'm still not convinced.

Anyway, I would happily take some imbalance in a game so I could have tlos, varying terrain rules, game modes, and all that. Competitive gaming is fun, but I am glad GW is not trying to pander entirely too that at the cost of the rest of the narrative more open stuff

Yeh, otherwise how would my 600 conscripts manoeuvre ?

IMO, go with canyon or Ice cliffs. Most other natural terrain doesn't work.

It also makes it universal to virtually any game.

I hear you, user. I have one good friend I can play friendly games with. We house rule, make up terrain, proxy stuff, custom scenarios, etc. He's the only one who'll do anything like that, and we both enjoy it. Everyone else in our group are only 40k players. We're both huge 40k fans and players too, but there's more to gaming than just that ya know?
Other than him, I have one other friend who plays Warmachine. He'll do "friendly" games, but won't do any house/custom/fun rules or anything like that. To him, a friendly game is not having a turn clock. He still power games like a mad cunt.

Everyone else who plays there won't play off a clock. Flat terrain, 4x4 tables, book scenarios only. That's it. I'll play with them when I need a break against playing the first guy I mentioned, and you're right there's absolutely nothing wrong with competitive gaming, but it gets a little tiresome. Any game you play with them, they're testing out a list or practicing for some upcoming tournament. Can't live off just that.

My first real 40K game every was a 6 person FFA on a medium sized table. We only made it one round in before we all had to quit because we didn't think it through. One player instantly turned and killed 90% of the player to their right's army before they even had a chance to play.

Legal move, but a shitty thing to do to someone you want to start playing your game.

I feel like grasslands are better at being used with anything.

IMO Earthen works and churned land is real fun to play on.

Yeah, ash/urban grey, green grass, brown mud, and desert are the most universal 40k terrain. Ice and snow are specific as fuck are you kidding me? Like they ONLY work on ice or snow tables.

I was hyped for these until they took 10,000 years to come out and then cost $1,000 for the whole set.

Thought they'd be a bit cheaper for just being MDF and having a kickstarter

Nice!

With some awesome Hirst Arts molds, a bunch of patience and work, I now have a set of zone mortalis tiles.

Sure they're heavy, unweildy, and a tad brittle, but they're mine and I'm proud of them.

Great idea, looks like it's only a 3x3 though.

Its beautiful, you should be proud.
Someday I'll take the plunge and order some hirst arts stuff.

This is a pic of my friends terrain set, Secret Weapon tiles with old Forge World buildings.

Dude I absolutely love hirst arts molds. I only own the 5 scifi ones right now, but I have plans to buy some fantasy ones. I want to make a fantasy zone mortalis equivalent, titled caves mortalis.

You're thinking of Warhammer fantasy.

I like the carpet more then the terrain.

That looks like convention floor carpet.

Mk 3 isn't even balanced though. They had to fucking rewrite Skorne from the ground up.