/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-may-2017-plus-new-nook-store/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/hello-kitty-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What's the most unusual thing a someone has done in your game?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cmkrTjExU3k
pastebin.com/3Z3GjRiu
docs.google.com/document/d/1uhFLjk0m2pHhzPcmtBU8BiJMk3qmkdK9hAHb0qCVpfU/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Walks up to you and breaches the masquerade.
What do you do?

Would you suffer Disquiet if you read something a Promethean wrote on paper or posted online?

Feedback requested. Keep in mind that my knowledge of Hellboy is not very deep. This sheet represents him as a special Lucifuge Hunter.

Virtue: Friendly/Determined
Vice: Temperamental

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 5
Physical Attributes: Strength 7, Dexterity 3, Stamina 7
Social Attributes: Presence 4, Manipulation 2, Composure 3

Mental Skills: Academics (Folklore And Mythology) 2, Computer 0, Crafts 1, Investigation (Fortean Phenomena) 4, Medicine 2, Occult (Relics) 4, Politics 0, Science 1
Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl (Red Right Hand) 5, Drive 0, Firearms (Good Samaritan) 1, Larceny 0, Stealth 3, Survival 2, Weaponry (Sword) 4
Social Skills: Animal Ken (Cats) 1, Empathy 2, Expression (Humor) 2, Intimidation 4, Persuasion 2, Socialize (Jovial) 1, Streetwise 2, Subterfuge 2

Merits: Area Of Expertise (Fortean Phenomena, Relics), Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult), Danger Sense, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Occult), Eye For The Strange, Fast Reflexes 2, Indomitable (Advanced), Interdisciplinary Specialty (Fortean Phenomena, Relics), Investigative Aide (Investigation, Occult), Professional Training 5 (Paranormal Detective: Occult, Investigation, Academics), Tolerance For Biology, Trained Observer 3, Virtuous (Advanced 3), Ambidextrous, Demolisher 3, Greyhound, Iron Skin 2 (Advanced 2), Iron Stamina 3, Parkour 4, Allies (BPRD 3), Contacts (Occultists, Investigators, Hunters), Inspiring, Iron Will, Status (BPRD 3), Striking Looks 2, Sympathetic, True Friend (Abe, Liz), Defensive Combat (Brawl), Improvised Weaponry 3, Heavy Weapons 5, Unarmed Defense 5

Willpower: 8 [Risking Willpower]
Defense: 8
Initiative: 8
Armor: 4/2
Speed: 15
Size: 6
Health: 13
Conviction: 7
Integrity: 8

[Continued In The Next Post]

Castigations: Hellboy is considered to have modified versions of Family Vestment and Mark Of The Beast that are permanently active and do not cost Willpower points. He can go beyond the normal limits of 5 dots in Strength and Stamina, gains 8 Again on all Strength and Stamina rolls and gains 2/2 Armor. He is immune to all mundane diseases and toxins, as well as damage from fire and heat. He possesses a healing factor, which seals wounds on its own, and heals one bashing damage every turn, one lethal every hour and one aggravated every day. He can speak all ancient and supernatural languages, including Sumerian, Spirit Tongue, Dragon’s Tongue and High Speech.

Gear & Equipment: Hellboy uses the Good Samaritan, a Heavy Revolver modified to use ammunition that acts as the Bane of several supernatural creatures, including silver and incendiary rounds. He frequently carries an assortment of Relics, which normally aren’t worth more than 3 dots and are oriented towards protection and investigation. His Right Hand Of Doom counts as a Heavy Weapon that deals +2L with Armor Piercing 2, and is immune to all damage and Tilts from mundane and supernatural sources. Depending on the Chronicle, the Right Hand Of Doom may be the final piece in some important mystery or conspiracy.

Disquiet is caused by the azoth in the prommie so no.

I just realized - Lord Farquaad is very likely a Technocrat.

He did legally rename himself Satyros after all!

Would you /wodg/?

We party as only immortals can
youtube.com/watch?v=cmkrTjExU3k

Visual idea for a Promethean: she wears a dirty labcoat, and hoards books and samples on a backpack despite not understanding what it means to be scientist yet. Her main Disfigurement makes her cybernetic spine visible and her neck grow sinuous and snake-like, while her head turns into an abstraction of a microscope/TV set. Her head constantly scans people and things without much care for personal space or privacy, but displays images that she thinks will calm them down (which are often well meaning but end up creepy or weird).

Do you get rad poisoning by looking at a picture of plutonium on google?

>on the topic of forcefully shifting werewolves using mage-magic
I believe it was mentioned at one point that Time can be used to turn Vampires back into humans temporarily.
I would imagine it would be the same for every other Template, assuming they were originally human.

That said, you cannot change the core of their being until Archmastery.

That's retarded. So does he have a fursuit or a fursona? Cause I want to laugh at this man.

kek
can this be our next general pic?

No idea. He is a real-world magick practicioner though. It's why the Nephandi section talks about 'bad energy makes you bad, don't do it'.

That's probably the best general picture we've had in a year.

Yes, that is explicitly mentioned in the spell itself.

However it IS possible to change the core of someone's being.
By travelling back in time, and stopping the event which led to their change.

You could even do this to someone Awakening.
You monster.

I seem to recall him being either a polyglot or having a supernatural comprehension for language.

It'd be temporary and contested. It'd kill the vampire I think until the spell ends.

That is mentioned in .

Anything else?

He's got a drinking problem. Or at least did before the events of hell on earth.

He's also demonic nobility.

That would the Addicted Condition (Alcohol).

Status 5 in the Lucifuge, which also grants Infernal Rank.

>I believe it was mentioned at one point that Time can be used to turn Vampires back into humans temporarily.
Is this only in Chronicles or can be done in oldWoD as well?

In oWoD it varies on how much of vampire is canon. Either way you can turn vamps back to normal, the only question is if its permament or not.

Old is new mage times 3 So most likely permanent instead of temporary.

oWoD is less powerful than nWoD for mage.

Prime six could cure all of vamperism. 5 can cure a single vampire. It's in no way more powerful. Even with the current rules jacking shit up.

In general nWoD mages are far stronger than their old counterparts

In terms of cheese and minmaxing oWoD mages are absolute monsters.
Mage munchkins are (were(still are)) horrible.

>Prime six could cure all of vampirism

You would have to mix that with high level Correspondence or Forces 9 to pull that off.
Either way it will eradicate vampires completely, including Caine and his Antediluvian grandchildren.

You only have to target caine though.The statless godbeast mages shouldn't but by raw can totally can deal with.

I don't understand how you can reach to that conclusion looking at the rules. Old vampires and werewolves could attack several times per turn with easy agg damage and better healing. Mages could do fucking everything and anything with less dots and more freedom.

>le archmage of spirit
>acquire transfiguration
>acquire quintessence
>cast it
>acquire all possible rank 8 purviews

what can luna even do

>With less dots

No, mate.

For the rest oWoD Vampires and Werewolves are complete beasts if compared to nWoD ones.

How do you get that impression? 3 does in old mage let you do way more than in new. I don't get where you are getting that new mage is stronger because numbers and powers wise old shit shits on new ten times over.

OWoD Mages abusing held spells are literally unbeatable

>Someone has his monstrous creation attack a Virtual Adept NPC last game
>He has Correspondence and Prime
>Teleports the monster into the Yellowstone Supervolcano

Can confirm.

Only if your paradigm lets you nigga

>acquire all possible rank 8 purviews
Transfiguration does -anything- you want it to. You're not limited to rank 8 Influences.
You can even devise your own.

>what can luna even do
Assuming the meathead Archmaster already buffed himself?

Not much.

Unless your ST is total shit, Paradigm is just the requirement to stay in thematic.

It doesn't matter. Seriously, I'm a nwod fag when it comes to half the lines. I still understand that old was more bullshit.

Paradigm is easily improvised whilst still being thematically appropriate, user.

For instance. Hermetics don't solely rely on longwinded ritual work. They can just as well produce instantaneous effects using physical gestures and words of power.

Yes, but you ever played actual oWoD games?

I understand that in this general nobody really plays, but still.

A Hermetic, speaking SPELLS? That's just nonsense.

>Hermetics don't solely rely on longwinded ritual work

This. I keep seeing people making this assumption.
Hermetic wizards are rigid, yes, but they're not slow and have a broader selection of Foci than pretty much any other Tradition.

I'm running Mage the Ascension right now, about to run my twentieth session of the campaign.

I haven't played in a long while but last time I played I remember arms of the abyss sweeping through everything.

What's next? A technocrat using laser guns?

...The world we live in.

Usually I have Technocrats using kinetic projectile weapons, since I fluff Technocrats as hard-sci fi and Etherites as soft-sci fi or retrofuture as a rule.

There are Technocratic laser guns, but I usually don't make them the focus.

An Hermetic, as Order of Hermes focus of choice is literally "words", so he can literally say "Burn" while using forces, or just say a magic spell phrase (I don't remember it perfectly , but I'm pretty sure they only need words for Forces)

Hermetics are all about language.

Sorcerers speaking in Latin is rather badass in violent confrontations.

Disclaimer: these stats for Saitama are just for fun. I know he should be handled through ST fiat. But feedback is welcome nonetheless.

pastebin.com/3Z3GjRiu

>Technocracy
>hard sci-fi

Why limit them though? Given the kind of shit they go up against, hard sci fi approach isn't going to cut it.

Because of the arbitrary vulgar/subtle divide.
Soft Sci Fi is vulgar as hell, while hard SciFi is easier to fit into the consensus because it "could actually work".

Shitcanning vulgar/subtle magic was probably the best thing Dave did.

Hard SF is the stuff that tends to see more use around sleepers. Both groups have their hypertech, just kept out of sight of sleepers.

I agree, it has no place in Awakening, but does make a certain degree of sense in Ascension.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, "Vulgar Without Witnesses" doesn't really exist as a category in my games.

Use her Change Influence and Rank 8 Spirit Magic to change you into a lawnchair. Duh.

What if you use your power to change that Influence into "Changing Vampires into Furniture"?

Personally, I'm very generous w/ what I let my players do w/ magic. Mostly because I'm more interested in the consequences of magic than absolute adherence to the rules.

Mage is like a playable form of the Stanford prison experiment.

Just read the Void Engineer Revised convention book. Holy shit.

The Avatar Storm is being maintained by the Void Engineers to keep Threat Null at bay.

What the fuck is the even supposed to mea-
Oh. I get it now.

Has there been any news on Deviant?

Yeah, that was a good part, especially as it talks to a reason why it potentially hasn't abated and HQ doesn't seem to spend the greatest amount of money on the problem.

Not even in the first draft yet last I heard.

Ascension Paradox was fucking annoying and way too harsh at times

Awakening Paradox is actually fun and not a bore.

>Ascension was fucking annoying and way too harsh at times
>Awakening is actually fun and not a bore.

I could use some character advice. My game group is going to be doing a Demon one shot.

My character idea is a sleazy grifter black market type (social/mental focus) who's actually a destroyer but can't really act like a typical destroyer because he's been severely damaged in his escape from the God Machine. But his goal is to repair himself to the point that he can start wrecking face again.

Viable or would it take too much of an investment to make this guy work?

Sounds like too long term focused a character for a one shot.

Apparently the outline is being sent to WW for review soon.

Both are bad for different reasons. though awakening paradox might not even exist.

There's a decent chance the game will enter our rotation so I wanted to plan long term.

Will the concept work mechanically?

So how big of a threat are Threat Null?

They're essentially the Borg

They want to come back to Earth.
Not good.

They're crazy fucking "order" spirits formed from the husks of Technocrats stuck outside of earth when the Dimensional Anomaly went up.

With all of the crazy immortality and capacity for power of spirits, and all of the lost resources of the Technocratic union, plus whatever they've been able to build in the meantime.

The sole reason the Earth hasn't been destroyed/converted by them, is the Anomaly.
They are a horrific nightmare, and the Void Engineer's greatest secret.
And they have most of the Union's old lost leadership, and best men amongst them.

Since someone asked if I could put my stuff on a Google Doc, here's a link to that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure homebrew I'm working on.

docs.google.com/document/d/1uhFLjk0m2pHhzPcmtBU8BiJMk3qmkdK9hAHb0qCVpfU/edit?usp=sharing

It's all pretty rough right now, but I'll work on it some more later.

Whelp...Gehenna doesn't sound so bad after all...time to bread more thinbloods

Basically the 1e Technocracy turned up to 11, minus the Void Engineers. (The Ka Luon *might* be the Engineers, but I doubt it.) The rest of the Union is still too brainwashed to understand why this is bad news, except the Progenitors.

The Progenitors can't be brought in on this because they really, really, really fucking hate the Traditions. Who are the only help the Engineers have in fighting Threat Null.

What's worse is that Iterators from Autocthon still occasionally show up planetside, part of a "Machine Cult" in Iteration X. I think Threat Null is the work of the Computer, though I can't explain the new time limit for deep space ops yet.

On an unrelated note, I find the bit in the Syndicate convention book about the fate of SPD a little hard to believe. Too Convenient.

Conceptually it's solid, the wounded ex solider is a good archetype. And nothing says that a Destroyer has to be the cookiecutter murderbot type.
Mechanically I don't see why it wouldn't, granted I'm not as familiar with D:tD as I'd like to be.

One has to wonder just what happened to the other Magi out beyond in the Deep Umbra post-Avatar Storm, not just the Union / Threat Null

Horizon and cosmic Archmages among other things.

Well...
There has to be SOMETHING slowing down Threat Null, right?

Two inhuman monstrosities clashing in strange dimensions, each wanting to get "home" and introduce it to their newfound wonder.

Archmages probably didn't even notice the Avatar Storm, having gone too far to regard the Earth as anything more than a speck of sand.

The storm itself only affected the barrier dividing the Consensus from the greater Tellurion.

Denizens of the Deep Umbra aren't necessarily monstrosities.

What happened with SPD? Did Project: Invictus succeed in purging those fucks?
Also since we're on that topic, what happened with Anthelios and the omega plan and all the shit actually tied in with time-limits with the end times?

Went silent, nobody paid attention for a while.
Then when they did, and sent men to investigate, their heads ended up on a desk in a Syndicate office.
They sent more teams, same result.

Then they decided "hey, we're still getting cheques, right? Fuck it"
And nothing more was ever done.
All odds are they jumped ship and joined up with Pentex.

So... I'm joining a Masquerade LARP. How much Lore should the average character know? Right now I only have a cursory knowledge of the 13 clans and what the game is generally about. Planning on coming in as a recently Embraced character. Would having read the Book of Nod be reasonable?

I'm thinking a Ravnos character with a dice gambling addiction, or is this too cliche?

Average neonates only know as much as their sires tell them and most likely the pillars of the masquerade
Beyond that you can just be like "I had a shit sire who spoke in riddles all the time" and it may offer some interesting introduction to the setting as they tell you

Book of Nod is a bit advanced so probably not

>Wayne

Who the fuck are you?

From what we have heard of Deviant thus far, it seems like Skullgirls would work really well as inspirational material for it. But in the characters could also be interpreted as follows:

Filia: a Sin-Eater, probably a Forgotten Pilgrim.

Cerebella: a Mortal, with her Vice-Versa being a Relic containing a powerful Spirit of Violence. Alternatively, a Fairest Dancer, with Vice-Versa being a hobgoblin.

Peacock: a mortal who has been augmented with many Wonders or Gadgets. Alternatively, her traumatic backstory and cybernetic reconstruction caused her to Awaken as a Mastigos. Her cartoonish nature would be her Nimbus, and her cartoon cronies are Goetia from her Oneiros she Materializes through Spirit. Her arsenal is mostly pre-existing, and stored and summoned through Space. High Gnosis and low Wisdom.

Parasoul: a Hunter, with her umbrella Krieg being a powerful Relic, a Lambda Gadget or a Cryptid with the Variable Form Adaptation.

Ms. Fortune: my first thought was Promethean, but she is beloved by the people of Little Innsmouth and doesn't seem to cause Disquiet/Wastelands. She could be a Gangrel with Protean 4 and a special Protean + Resilience Devotion

Painwheel: an actual Promethean, the poor girl. Probably an Extempore.

Valentine: an Unchained Demon, which explains her superhuman abilities, individualism and talent for deception.

Double: a God-Machine Angel tied to the Occult Matrix centered around the Skullheart.

Marie: a mortal altered by the Skullheart into a Stigmatic with access to Infrastructure that gives her godlike power.

Squigly: a Sin-Eater, likely a Torn Bonepicker.

Big Band: a mortal augmented by several Wonders or Gadgets. Alternatively, being betrayed and cybernetically rebuilt might have Awakened him as a Thyrsus. His musicality would be his Nimbus, and he would improve his already high tech arsenal with Life, Matter, Mind and Forces. High Gnosis and decent Wisdom.

Beowulf: a Supernatural Wrestler.

Eliza: an Elder Daeva of the Invictus.

So I have plans for my group of oWoD vamps to track down what will turn out to be a cadre of Blood Brothers, but being relativly new to the system (at least running it), how do I easily run a mob of people as a single unit in stats? Having 10+ initiative slots isn't really practical.

So for life mage, how is healing physical damage boxes lasting, but regenerating a limb isn't? Because to me that seems fairly inconsistent.

Healing damage is stitching a broken body back together, closing wounds and fixing systems that would have healed in the due course of time.

Regeneration is rebuilding, wholesale, something that was irrevocably gone. It is making a new organ.

Yes, I agree it's retarded.

Idea for homebrew: Style Merits that expand upon each type of Professional Training and give an edge to Mortals only.

OOC, it's to give Mortals an edge, like with Skill Tricks. IC, it can be explained as deep devotion to your mortal life's calling, like with Conviction.

(Skill Tricks and Conviction are from the Mirrors supplement)

>to give Mortals an edge
That they're clearly not supposed to have?
If you want an edge, and want to still remain human, play Hunter.

want an edge and be human, play mage

>Mages
>Humans
With a soul like that?
Every Mage as a rite of passage takes a hot metaphysical knife to their soulcontainer and carries around the brands like a mark of pride.

Mages aren't even biologically human.
Can a human eat Supernal energy to heal their wounds?

>That they're clearly not supposed to have?
Says who?

>If you want an edge, and want to still remain human, play Hunter.

It could be a Hunter only Merit.

>>Mages
>>Humans
>With a soul like that?

You don't understand, mages are the only *real* humans in the CofD. Since the Fall, the Sleeping masses are just Abyss-tainted neanderthals. Sleepers may call themselves "human," but they are little more than corrupted monkeys with delusions of grandeur.