Legend of the Five Rings General: Still The Only Sane Lion Edition

Greetings, samurai of /L5Rg/. Once more the Miya herald has done his circuits of the internet to bring us a new fiction for L5R which means it is time for another general thread to commemorate it. In this one, the inevitable happens and Toturi gets to have a private breakdown over it: fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/7/the-price-of-war/

This is the thread for RPG, old5R CCG, new5R LCG, and general setting fluff discussion. Ask about decks, discuss rules, seek guidance from the council on your campaigns, what have you.

So first question of the thread: How did people like the new fiction? And how are you feeling about the direction FFG is taking the game based on the mechanical previews we've seen so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

4shared.com/folder/61429qLm/Legend_of_The_Five_Rings_4th_E.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seems like they tossed this out to calm people who are worried about the fluff being unrecognizable. This is pretty much exactly what happened to Arasou in the base timeline, though IIRC Toturi didn't get called out from the monastery until after Arasou got himself killed. Toturi is also still personal friends with Crane Clan champ. Though I don't think Hotrui personally killed Araousu, Tsuko is still a massive ragebitch and they name dropped Gohei, Aketoki, and Motso, so we expect some of old staple chars to make it into the game.

As a Crab that's got me drooling a bit for Amoro...

Motso appeared in the fiction a few times to get almost killed and then stand around while his lords fought shamefully. I kind of feel bad for him

Hitomi is worst girl.

Hear me roar.

Is that the real flavor text?

Of course.

No, this is the Veeky Forums edit. The actual text is "Let me put that another way..." like she's a cut rate mobster.

>memtastic tusndere Matsu

You're killing me here FF

Oh thank god

This thread has been blessed by the presence of the Crane.

>Be corrupt crab samurai
>invade crane lands with Kisada
>impregnate sobbing crane samurai ko with tainted seed after killing their friends while they watch
>leave her for the oni and move on

/d/ is leaking.

crane girls are born to get the big tainted dick.

There is an important difference. In the original timeline it is Tsuko's hesitation that gets Arasou killed. In this one it is Tsuko's eagerness and Arasou's unwillingness to listen to Toturi that gets him killed.

Also Agetoki seems to be really bro tier in this incarnation.

Crane players have been having a field day with this fiction.

Where at? The only places I know of one can expect more than five posts in a day about L5R is here or the FFG forums. Or have the clan based fan sites creaked into life once more after years fallow?

They killed Arasou AGAIN?

Fuck sake man, this is stupid. I was really hoping to see the man get his long life of glory that he deserved. Fuck Toturi goddamnit

Normiebook

The dumbass killed himself. If he listened to Toturi he'd be alive, but no he had to go and try and impress his main squeeze and then got his ass killed.

Making Arasou retarded just to make Toturi look better is rage inducing.

I bet Toturi becomes Emperor again.

I'm going to steal from the FFG forums here but this post breaks down why Arasou a shit in all editions and why it is actually plot relevant:

>or all of Toturi's inferiority complexes (brought on him by his terrible family, especially his mother's side) Arasou was actually the bad son. Arasou was a Matsu at heart, and he knew it. And unfortunately, he wanted to be the stereotypical Matsu (The best tactic is to drown the enemy in their own blood) not the smart Matsu (find the best way to kill the enemy, then drown them in their own blood). If you read the old story, while it constantly praises Arasou and the Lion feel they've never had a Champion like him and build a huge statue...even though he literally did nothing in his whole career. The Lion of this generation are ruled by Matsu mentality (Toturi's father had to give up HIS name to marry Toturi's mother even though he was champion), and have forgotten their past. Orignally, Arasou's campaign to reclaim Toshi Ranbo showed how bad a leader he was. His army was instantly hit with resistance and ambush tactics he wasn't prepared for (and considering that's the Daidoji's main tactic, every Lion Champ should expect that), but instead of adapting to the situation, he just powered forward with his army, thinking force would win the day over skill and guile. Arasou literally walked into Crane trap after Crane trap until he walked into his own death on the inside of the walls the Crane opened so they could cut him off and ambush him inside. So yeah, Arasou was supposed to be a failure of a Champion, but he was everything the Matsu (especially Tsuko) wanted in a Champion, so they'll never admit it. This was how it was in the old story. And from what I see, that's how it is in this one, too.

Arasou a shit, and his death is important to make the Lion wake up to how they've been suckered into a vortex of increasing Matsu aggression and not enough of their other family traditions.

Had to keep Tsuko pure so all the waifu fags could drool over a Tsundere Matsu Dakimakura.

Honestly, I kind of hope that while they've got the same starting point as the base timeline they allow the storyline to be decided by tournies. And for real, not the "shoehorn our metaplot in no matter what happens" crap that got pulled so often before.

Can I get that without the text?

No

>but instead of adapting to the situation, he just powered forward with his army, thinking force would win the day over skill and guile. Arasou literally walked into Crane trap after Crane trap until he walked into his own death on the inside of the walls the Crane opened so they could cut him off and ambush him inside
There are Matsu that don't do this?

Easily, but you'll have to consult the sage known as Google-sama.

I legit don't get the joke. Is it they look lie a sexy fighting game lineup?

All lions are garbage.

L5r got a trove?

This is most everything for 4e, but it is a good start.

4shared.com/folder/61429qLm/Legend_of_The_Five_Rings_4th_E.html

Da Archive.

Exactly that. It looks like a character select screen, at the very least.

I should make a Lion character, a female Matsu to be sure, for a high IR campaign. Might make for an amusing campaign since I usually play courtiers or shugenja. Never played a Lion before though.

Go Beastmaster and if you are R4 or higher attack 4 times/round and make Mirumoto jealous as fuck.

If a samurai needed to speak directly to a dead person and receive an answer is there somewhere they could go or someone they could talk to about getting that done?

Kitsu Shugenja can do that with honorable ancestors.

>and make Mirumoto jealous as fuck
If you really want your extra attacks tied to two lions that are easier to kill than you.

At high insight Lion's Pride is the way to go. Matsu Berserker does insane damage in full attack, LP makes going into full attack less likely to get you killed. Become all the DPS, stick you tounge out at those glass cannon squishy bisshy Crane, and offer up gallons of blood for the bloo....I mean, for Lady Matsu!

>not appreciating your damage dice exploding on a 9 or 10

>Mantis still not a clan

Thanks for the chuckle user.

Imagine being Kitsu Motso at the meeting where they decide to kick Toturi out, and leave Tsuko as champion. And just like knowing you are the smartest person in the room but you're so fucking honorable that you can't tell your superiors why this idea is the worst thing since putting Hida Kisada in charge of people. And then 5 years later you're standing there at the day of Thunder, and Ikoma Tsunari is babbling at you about oaths to the emperor or some shit and you're just wishing you had never heard of bushido. Then Toturi rolls up and you're like "oh thank the kami my day has come" and he puts Tsunari in charge. Two years later you die at Volturnum because you realize not existing is better than being a part of the Lion Clan
Being Motso is suffering

Matsu Berserker is for more experienced players tho. Ironically enough, you have to play intelligently with a Matsu Berserker or you will bite the dust in the first skirmish.

For beginners, the Akodo Bushi is a better choice.

Once you realize that there's nothing in the rules that says you can't take some of your move, swing and then keep moving the rank 2 Matsu tech becomes amazing tho. Naturaly high water ring with Kitsu dropping movement buffs and you're damn near untouchable.

Grim

The suffereing started even before that. Don't forget Motso's Kitsu blood is, for some reason, so weak he can't talk to the ancestors, despite being the eldest son of the main branch of the Kitsu family and having a younger brother who is by all acounts an amazing ass sodan-senzo.

But hey, at least he's not Ikoma Ryozo

>Here lies Akodo Arasou
>He never scored

You think he and Tsuko never did it? She spends half this fiction musing on his beauty, she was as thirsty as a teenage guy.

I thought the Lion's Pride was the Super Special Matsu Grill Squad, why the fuck would they be bullying people in court?

They obviously didn't. Tsuko is angry because she is a sexually frustrated perma-virgin. That's, like, half her character right there.

Are you implying that because she's built like a womanly tank and can kill a man with just about anything you put into her hands, including paint brushes, she can't attend court?

I was wondering why a member of an elite military special forces unit, notable even amongst the elite military Matsu Family, would be in court in the first place and not conducting numerous secret raids on Al Queda. I highly doubt the Hiruma Berserker card will have him in a kimono inside a city.

Because the Lion are not ill mannered boors and can appear in public without shaming their clan. Clearly she is being dragged around as like a Lion propaganda piece by some Ikoma. Which sounds like wacky buddy political adventures I'd want to read.

>elite military special forces unit
The samurai unit originally formed when Matsu chose as her personal bodyguard? Whose main tactic is to kill enemy generals by straight charge?

>not conducting numerous secret raids on Al Queda
Not really their thing.

Bumpu

ALRIGHT YOU GEMPUKI GRADUATES

TELL ME NOW

WHAT IS HONOR!?!

>Tfw want to play a shouting matsu blooded akodo bushi who is a drill instructor

Would knife hands violate rokugani social rules? I know they're big on personal space

Spelling gempukku right is part of it demonstrating that you're civilized.

If you're a sensei, you can do basically whatever the fuck you want to your students as long as you churn out good samurai at the end of the day.

Pic related, with a reminder that Honor 10.0 is where Bushido ->starts

NOWHERE DOES AKODO WRITE A SAMURAI MUST BE CIVILIZED. ONLY COURTEOUS. SO I COURTEOUSLY INVITE YOU TO THINK OF A MORE CORRECT ANSWER

Going with Topaz Championship for an intro.
How do people handle different gempukku rituals?
I just telling matsu, and bayushis they family forced them to take their rituals beforehand, giving them the wakazhi and letting the player decide if they actually wear it(and insult their host).
Furthermore how is gear handeld. For this adventure, I declare all samurai are regarded as warriors and the kids have brought their katana with them, (for a minor non-first son samurai of a household, a katana of his daimyos armory) as they would only receive their wakazhi later.

Topaz Championship replaces standard gempukku regardless of where you come from, because it is the Gempukku Tournament
Being able to participate means that you've done so well as a student, instead of completing your education on the level of your clan, you do so on the level of the entire empire
Having them do their clan/family gempukku ritual beforehand means they have finished their gempukku, means that they are not eligible to participate
If you want them to have done the clan/family gempukku, don't run Topaz Championship with those characters as participants (which defeats the purpose, kind of)
Otherwise, gempukku should stay in the backstory of the character (IR1 samurai are considered to have finished their education, meaning completed their gempukku)

As for gear, not sure what you mean
Upon completion of their gempukku, each samurai receives his daisho (katana and wakizashi), as well as any other appropriate coming-of-age gifts
The daisho is their own, although in case of being the heir of a household, it may be the ancestral daisho of the family, previously held by the father, who is now either dead or has retired to a monastery (not always the case, but from what i can tell considered the norm)
Anything that a samurai receives here is now property of that samurai
A samurai may make a request to their lord to "lend" certain items, with the implication that they shall be returned in the same condition they were lent, and it shall only be for as long as those items are of use to the samurai in his service to his lord
Any other gear the samurai has to buy, with income based on his household's holdings, and the stipend of his lord for whatever service he may do

Any other questions?

good answer

I always had swords "skip" generations. So a young (first-born) samurai would inherit his grandfather's sword as his father is likely still on active duty. And then other children would get blades from their daimyo's armory, which if warranted might include a blade with significant lineage. On the father's death his sword would be held by his first-born to be given to his first-born. Obviously there are exceptions, like the Clan Champions almost always bear their clan's ancestral blade and take it up on their ascension to the position.

Thank you.
But what weapon would the players used both in he ambush but also the tournament?
Would they just grab a training blade for the iijatsu tournament?

Training weapons for the most part, though the iaijustu tournament at the end of the Topaz Championship is specifically done with live steel. They shouldn't be fighting in an ambush on the way to the tournament, that shit is a job for an adult and they are still children.

Death is light as air;
Honor is heavy as stone.

I think he's meaning in the module, haven't properly read it, only played it, but there might be an ambush in there relating to one of the NPCs (don't know because my ST rolled up some random NPCs to replace them, so it's less cookie cutter than the actual module)

As for those participating, since they are not proper samurai yet, they technically aren't "allowed" to carry proper weapons, though for the most part people only really care whether or not it's the daisho, if i recall

You're right, though, training weapons for everything except the iaijutsu tournament during the Championship, though they shouldn't be underestimated, in the skirmish contest, rolled enough explosions to knock my opponent unconcious

>this meme again

holy shit go away

But what weighs as much as a horse?

A Unicorn's husband.

The inverse blade; it
is worn naked and sheathed
only in passion.

Doubly inverse that
Blade which heat but hardens and
Which softens once quenched.

Triply so, for
this blade, so named, finds its home
only in great love.

You ask of honor?
It is only the soft foot
That walks on fresh snow

Ayyyyy

AKODO WROTE THAT THE SAMURAI SHOULD SPEAK HONESTLY AND PLAINLY, KOANS AREN'T HONOR, DRAGONSCALES.

You speak here of koans
But any Crane can tell you
That these are haiku

There is no honor
without wisdom; a lion
without claw or fang.

>Be the command staff of NPC Lion Clan general
>March against the Phoenix fuckers
>Kill their incompetent bushi in melee, snipe their arrogant shugenja from afar with bows
>Suddenly, a storm of explosions vaporize a whole company of Lion samurai
>Nearby hilltop now has a dozen pic related under Phoenix flags and a cocky Shiba ordering his engineers around for a second salvo

What to do?

Whine to the Emperor about the Phoenix playing unfairly.

Or bring all the Great Clans down on them for blasphemy. Gunpowder weapons are strictly prohibited in Rokugan. If I was the Lion in this situation I'd be grinning as my long term victory is all but assured. I may lose a battle but the war will be utterly won.

Like I said, whine to the Emperor about the Phoenix playing unfairly.

But Akodo-san, everyone knows Phoenix firework powder isn't the same as gaiJin pepper and the fire kami and Emperor are A-OK with it.

Doji go stay go.

>Phoenix firework powder
You mean Dragon fireworks.

Check out my new rare Pepe.

I think that's a good way to extend high value card life but I don't know who it will favor since I'm sure some clans benefit more from low balling honor bids anyway. I guess Crane?

I think we'll need to see the whole environment to really see how useful it is. The other thing to consider is when you are low-balling honor bids you are getting less card draw, so is keeping a dude around another round worth a card. I can see it working if you have another non-honor based source of regular card draw, like the Crane might have with the Sincerity trait (which grants card draw when that character leaves play).

I'm guessing Dragon, since they're looking pretty voltrony and seem to like attachments. Could be useful to get an extra turn before discarding attachments with the character, depending on the cards they get.

>spend a card for a fate
>but only if you draw fewer cards

I don't know how to value this.

Could bid high at the start of the turn for cards and then bid low in a duel