How come when people get excited for a new spoiled card, it always turns out to be unplayable garbage?

How come when people get excited for a new spoiled card, it always turns out to be unplayable garbage?

Harsh Mentor is perfectly ok.

>Unplayable garbage

It's a fucking sideboard card and that's where it's played just like everyone expected.

No one reasonable was expecting this to be mainboarded or even to be on par with Eidolon in sheer power

It's a 2/2 for 2 with an ability that's very applicable against some decks. It's far from a bad card.

It won't see play in every deck but it's far from unplayable garbage.

But user, every card has to be a fucking bomb or magic will die!

To be fair I didn't expect Top to get banned in Legacy. It's seen some sideboard play still, which is still neat.

The only reason it's not $5 is because top got banned.

2/2 for a 2 drop is perfectly acceptable and that ability means either your opponent uses a kill spell on it or it might damage him, if neither of these happen it's still a 2/2 for 2, not great but it's acceptable as a low cost red creature.

Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

You perfectly know that the design dogma from Theros onwards is flawed as admitted by Stoddard himself, but I guess that being retarded comes hand to hand with being a wotc apologist
>inb4 merely pretending

>inb4merely pretending
You fucking knew he was being sarcastic you little autistic faggot.

This is some powercreeped shit,it's not even a symmetrical effect

>2/2 for 2 with a contingent ability
>powercreeped
Nah.

come on man, it's a red bear with no downsides and a really strong effect against certain decks

>that sloppy writing

A much better way of writing it would be

>Whenever an opponent activates an ability of an artifact, creature or land on the battlefield that doesn't require mana Harsh Mentor deals 2 damage to that player.

Did MtG fire all the people who knows English or something?

in Red it really is

Nice bait

Are you kidding or actually retarded? It's very obvious he wasn't being serious you dum dum.

Stop replying to frogposters.

>bear
Already a downside.
Yet few lists run it.

Still salty about the election?

Memes aside, they really should start saying "mana-producing ability" instead of "mana ability" because literally every new player I've seen guesses the meaning wrong.

Not all abilities that produce mana are mana abilities. Deathrite shaman is a good example of this; its ability isn't a mana ability, because it has a target.

Ok, i kek'd. But try not to /pol/ into this.

inb4 reddit & tumblr

And thats part of being new. A lot of newbies don't even understand the combat phase.

Even the old name "mana source" was better.

99.9% of them are, and the extremely few exceptions can be sorted out when they come up.